Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leadership and Communication

Started by WilsonHog, November 10, 2017, 12:10:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Leadership development is what I do. When I work with leaders who are new to an organization and they ask me what to do first, my answer is to listen and learn. Don't go in swinging a big stick and making moves; learn something about the culture, traditions, and people. Otherwise, you're going to be walking blind without a cane, pissing people off, and setting yourself up for failure. That failure might come right away, or it might take awhile, but it will happen...all because the leader was tone deaf from the word go.

Jeff Long made a critical error early on; operating under the cover of the man who hired him, Long overplayed his hand. In an effort to rid the Broyles Complex of influence in the wake of Houston Nutt's departure, Long pissed people off. Treated them shabbily. Long-term members of the Razorback Family were kicked to the curb. Did he really think those people would just shrug their shoulders and shuffle off into the sunset? If so, he committed a grievous error. No, those people will keep their powder dry and wait for the right time. When they get their shot, and they usually will, they take it. In a sense, Jeff Long may be the last casualty of Houston Nutt's time at UA.

When a leader cloaks an organization under the mantle of integrity, he or she takes a huge risk. People are human. They make mistakes, they have errors in judgment, they screw up. Any person who puts themselves on a pedestal will eventually be eating dirt. There is a man in Louisville, Kentucky who could commiserate with our current AD about that.

The same sort of statement can be made about branding. If a leader is going to preach "uncommon," it becomes incumbent on him to be so and to produce a product that is. Otherwise, his own words come back to haunt him.   

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

BearsBisonsBoars

Paging Butch Jones.

Spot on analysis, btw.

pigheaded

My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

RexMentor

Leadership is also about recognizing and correcting mistakes as soon as possible all the while admitting your responsibility in making them. We'll find out if that happens the week after the last game.

RexMentor

WilsonHog

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 12:20:04 pm
Leadership is also about recognizing and correcting mistakes as soon as possible all the while admitting your responsibility in making them. We'll find out if that happens the week after the last game.

I believe that train has left the station.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 10, 2017, 12:10:52 pm
Leadership development is what I do. When I work with leaders who are new to an organization and they ask me what to do first, my answer is to listen and learn. Don't go in swinging a big stick and making moves; learn something about the culture, traditions, and people. Otherwise, you're going to be walking blind without a cane, pissing people off, and setting yourself up for failure. That failure might come right away, or it might take awhile, but it will happen...all because the leader was tone deaf from the word go.

Jeff Long made a critical error early on; operating under the cover of the man who hired him, Long overplayed his hand. In an effort to rid the Broyles Complex of influence in the wake of Houston Nutt's departure, Long pissed people off. Treated them shabbily. Long-term members of the Razorback Family were kicked to the curb. Did he really think those people would just shrug their shoulders and shuffle off into the sunset? If so, he committed a grievous error. No, those people will keep their powder dry and wait for the right time. When they get their shot, and they usually will, they take it. In a sense, Jeff Long may be the last casualty of Houston Nutt's time at UA.

When a leader cloaks an organization under the mantle of integrity, he or she takes a huge risk. People are human. They make mistakes, they have errors in judgment, they screw up. Any person who puts themselves on a pedestal will eventually be eating dirt. There is a man in Louisville, Kentucky who could commiserate with our current AD about that.

The same sort of statement can be made about branding. If a leader is going to preach "uncommon," it becomes incumbent on him to be so and to produce a product that is. Otherwise, his own words come back to haunt him.
According to Wisconsin fans, that was bielemas 1st mistake as Arkansas head coach
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jgphillips3

Good post.  If you ride the guillotine to power, you will ride it to your demise eventually.

BR

Very Nice...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: pigheaded on November 10, 2017, 12:19:09 pm
Revenge is a dish best served cold

..."Vengeance is mine; I will repay", saith the Lord...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The NewEra

This seems to be exactly what Jeff is dealing with today. 

Typically too, those long term members in large part are successful in business, they're politically astute and know how to play the waiting and attack game. 

Sundog

Dilly, Dilly to you, sir. 👏
Correct on all fronts.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 10, 2017, 12:26:55 pm
Good post.  If you ride the guillotine to power, you will ride it to your demise eventually.

Ooh. I'm stealing that quote. Nice!

jkstock04

He pissed a lot of people off, especially the first year or so. Basically ran off John McDonnell.

When someone new comes in on a deal like that you gotta think changes are going to be inevitable. But I think some of that transition was a bit loud and brash.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: pigheaded on November 10, 2017, 12:19:09 pm
Revenge is a dish best served cold
This always sounds so cool, but WTH does it really mean? Cold revenge? What is that? I first heard it in the 2nd Star Trek movie back in the '80's. Khan said it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Porkette

This probably would have all come to a head earlier if the Petrino hire had never happened. Even though by most accounts he wasn't who Long wanted, that hire was his first really visible act as AD. The excitement and the winning in football staved it all off for a few years.
GO HOGS GO!

IronHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 10, 2017, 12:26:29 pm
According to Wisconsin fans, that was bielemas 1st mistake as Arkansas head coach

Why Norvell is a top choice for new coach....

Arkansas is a weird place.  Outsiders probably won't adapt
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Porkette on November 10, 2017, 01:02:56 pm
This probably would have all come to a head earlier if the Petrino hire had never happened. Even though by most accounts he wasn't who Long wanted, that hire was his first really visible act as AD. The excitement and the winning in football staved it all off for a few years.

Anyone that followed JFB/GOB network had a tough row to hoe
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

wildhogman

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 10, 2017, 12:51:30 pm
This always sounds so cool, but WTH does it really mean? Cold revenge? What is that? I first heard it in the 2nd Star Trek movie back in the '80's. Khan said it.
It means if your seeking revenge for a slight, don't rush in right away hot headed. Take you're time, think things out, plan, check each detail. savor the entire event. Don't just shoot the boy, but enjoy watching him twist in the wind squirming as the fire grows around him. A cold dish means your not out of your head revenge minded.  Your cold, cruel calculating and efficient. Like Jeff is finding out about his enemies now

daBoar

Sadly, the team is uncommon in the SEC West.

Kevin

well said.

long did what white wanted. but treating our traditions, and people rudely, changing them & running them off was a bad move.

bringing back the slobberin hog
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogblog

+1000

Cylinder

It's a bit older that Wrath.

It means that exacting immediate revenge at the point of insult can be rash and instinctual - an emotional response at the time your enemy may be prepared for or expecting it.

Revenge detached from the original insult shows dedication to the vengeance, is more calculated and occurs at a time a person is less prepared, expecting or capable.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: wildhogman on November 10, 2017, 01:09:51 pm
It means if your seeking revenge for a slight, don't rush in right away hot headed. Take you're time, think things out, plan, check each detail. savor the entire event. Don't just shoot the boy, but enjoy watching him twist in the wind squirming as the fire grows around him. A cold dish means your not out of your head revenge minded.  Your cold, cruel calculating and efficient. Like Jeff is finding out about his enemies now
Ah, excellent! Good definition of that phrase. Thanks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Rudy Baylor

Revenge, once enacted, is not sweet

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 10, 2017, 12:25:32 pm
I believe that train has left the station.
Very good OP.

Do you think the train has left just for Bielema, or Long too?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Karma on November 10, 2017, 01:45:45 pm
Very good OP.

I believe for both.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Karma on November 10, 2017, 01:45:45 pm
Very good OP.

Wilson can speak for himself, but it seems obvious it was aimed at Long.  I don't think anyone would bother to post it about Bielema because I think we all know he is history.

snoblind

Excellent post.  Folks like to point out college athletics is a business now.  But this isn't a business where the person just rides in to chops off heads and the causalities move on to other jobs.  In some form or fashion most all the people are still around.   

The foundation president that got pushed out has a foundation/former team full of friends that are still donors/season ticket holders.  A former All-American that gets ignored or insulted may end up as a BOT member. A hall of fame coach's wishes get tossed aside so one's "own man" gets the job.  The examples go on and on.   

oldhog63

Means it is often more satisfying if it is not done immediately and when it is least expected.

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 10, 2017, 01:09:39 pm

Anyone that followed JFB/GOB network had a tough row to hoe

Amen. That he lasted this long is amazing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

It's something they teach in the Senate.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogFoo

Lots of good replies on this meaning. Yes, it is actually a very old statement. I believe it actually goes back to ancient China.  Or at least a version of it does.  But, mainly it means, and I didn't see too many mention this part.  It means wait until the person you plan vengeance against forgets about it.  Cold as in, not on their mind any longer.  At that point, they are not prepared for any retribution, because the offense they did has gone "cold " no longer fresh or warm on their mind.  Think of it like old timers and food.  The longer a steak has sit on a table uneaten, the colder it gets.  Thus, when the person you seek revenge is fully unaware, completely oblivious of past ,you inflict revenge, totally surprising them and usually leading to complete and sounding victory, or enacted revenge.  So, wait, take your time, plot, plan, enact!  :)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 10, 2017, 02:22:44 pm
It's something they teach in the Senate.

I thought you were going to say the second grade.....

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 02:25:35 pm

Second grade? Oh, no, senators rarely learn past kindergarten.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

There is an old adage, "never follow a legend."

Shudder to be Didi Gregorius - he followed Derek Jeter.

Bobby Murcer failed to follow Mickey Mantle.

It was bold (maybe even ballsy) to take on the legacy of Broyles. "Take on" does not mean challenge, but simply to hold those reins in your hand and try to keep the thundering herd moving along.

My prediction to Wilson was maybe three years. He made it 10. I bet he retires in NWA at some point, and look back with pride on many things. Being the guy that followed Broyles will haunt him until he leaves.

Calling All Hogs

I doubt Long's next job will be as an AD. He rose to fame as the AD who fired Petrino and thus put doing the right thing above winning. Lou Holtz also became famous at Arkansas for his "do right rule" which caught the attention at the time of both the nation and Notre Dame. The difference is that Lou did right by suspending his players and yet won in spite of it. Long fired Petrino but went on to having a football program that has struggled for years since. Doing right is all good and well to those not effected by this bravery, but no major football program wants an AD whose doing right results in years of poor performance. I noticed when Long's name was briefly connected to Nebraska, he name got a poor reception with Nebraska fans.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 02:25:35 pm

Thought you might reply to that ...

EastexHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 10, 2017, 02:31:33 pm
There is an old adage, "never follow a legend."

Shudder to be Didi Gregorius - he followed Derek Jeter.

Bobby Murcer failed to follow Mickey Mantle.

Off topic, I know, but from 1939 to 1989...other than during WWII and the Korean War...three men played most every game in left field for the Red Sox:

Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Jim Rice

All three are Hall of Famers.  Williams is (in my opinion) one of the two greatest hitters who ever lived so the guys who succeeded him had mammoth shoes to fill.

There was a lot of things done wrong with Long and Bret. 

Long made a huge point in firing Petrino when most ADs would not have.  He built an immediate legacy that he couldn't live up to.  He said, among other things, by firing Bobby, that you do not get a second chance if the infraction is heavy.  Then he makes a few average to bad hires and then a really bad hire.  Hes now made a heavy mistake and needs to heed his own rules.

Bret sort of done the same.  Statements about taking us to places we haven't yet been, closing practice and mostly keeping it closed, not only not winning but not winning bad and ugly.  Playing his favs over the talented.  Bret signed on with Long when he sent the love letter. 

Many of us see 2 peas in a pod.  We don't want either.  Basic rule.  If you run your mouth, cover your ass.

The OTR

My natural inclination is to always disagree with what you say and to let what you say go in one ear and out the other. 

But I'll give the devil his due on this one.  Wise words and about as accurate as a boss in here can be.  Good work, Wilson. 

hawgfan4life

All of that is all fine and good.  Very relevant with the circumstances, but would have been irrelevant had BB continued the steady improvement he made in the first three years.  For whatever reasons, the success reversed course, the confidence and support with it, and now we are facing the replacement of the HC and possibly the AD along with him.  Just goes to prove the thin margin between success and failure at that level. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 10, 2017, 02:55:20 pm
Off topic, I know, but from 1939 to 1989...other than during WWII and the Korean War...three men played most every game in left field for the Red Sox:

Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Jim Rice

All three are Hall of Famers.  Williams is (in my opinion) one of the two greatest hitters who ever lived so the guys who succeeded him had mammoth shoes to fill.

So true.

Some franchises can do it - Lakers replaced Wilt with Jabbar and then with Magic and then with Kobe (and some help from the league office). Orioles still looking for Cal Ripken, Bears still seeking Walter Payton.

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on November 10, 2017, 02:57:41 pm
Basic rule.  If you run your mouth, cover your ass.

Don't necessarily agree with the whole post but agree with this!

Bret did a couple of things that hurt him from the gitgo:
1. weight management
2. talking about his former school too much
3. not truly appreciating the impact of the undermanned Arkansas HS football scene

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 10, 2017, 03:17:52 pm
Don't necessarily agree with the whole post but agree with this!

Bret did a couple of things that hurt him from the gitgo:
1. weight management
2. talking about his former school too much
3. not truly appreciating the impact of the undermanned Arkansas HS football scene

Whoaaa there Mr. Oklahoma.  Not sure what you mean by number 3.  If CBB made a mistake where the Arkansas high school scene is concerned it was in failing to appreciate the talent in a population of 3,000,000 (500,000 African Americans) with whom he had Saban-like power to point and click. That population and power is the sole factor that attracted Frank Broyles to Arkansas.  There are three rules to recruiting at Arkansas:

1.  Location
2.  Location
3.  Location

Houston Nutt promised to build a fence around the state.  One of the few things he did well at Arkansas.  When you let thoroughbreds like KJ Hill, Josh Frazier and Damarea Crockett graze in other pastures, you will suffer for it. 

I'm about to leave to watch what the media here in Tennessee is referring to as the playoff game of the week - Brentwood vs. Cane Ridge.  I saw North Little Rock play a couple of weeks ago.  They could play with either one of these teams. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 10, 2017, 03:35:14 pm
Whoaaa there Mr. Oklahoma.  Not sure what you mean by number 3.  If CBB made a mistake where the Arkansas high school scene is concerned it was in failing to appreciate the talent in a population of 3,000,000 (500,000 African Americans) with whom he had Saban-like power to point and click. That population and power is the sole factor that attracted Frank Broyles to Arkansas.  There are three rules to recruiting at Arkansas:

1.  Location
2.  Location
3.  Location

Houston Nutt promised to build a fence around the state.  One of the few things he did well at Arkansas.  When you let thoroughbreds like KJ Hill, Josh Frazier and Damarea Crockett graze in other pastures, you will suffer for it. 

I'm about to leave to watch what the media here in Tennessee is referring to as the playoff game of the week - Brentwood vs. Cane Ridge.  I saw North Little Rock play a couple of weeks ago.  They could play with either one of these teams. 

So, DeAngelo Williams, Wr's from Warren(not those 3), and a couple of guys from Jonesboro that went to UT, wouldn't indicate a fence. It seems to me we get the vast majority, but some always leave.

hassettsportsman

Well crafted...insightful Mr. Wilson.  Like you, I had good friends in the Broyles regime who were sent packing by our current AD.  When you let go of good educators who mentor our young fighting men, our battlefield Hogs, you weaken the team.  Mr. Long is quite simply a cowbird...that's to say, he lays his eggs in your nest...and you get to raise them. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 03:40:10 pm
So, DeAngelo Williams, Wr's from Warren(not those 3), and a couple of guys from Jonesboro that went to UT, wouldn't indicate a fence. It seems to me we get the vast majority, but some always leave.

Look - I hate giving Nutt credit for anything, but you know what I mean here. You're a farmer. Ever have a hole in the fence?