Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite aircraft?

Started by AirForceHog, September 29, 2010, 07:50:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

What is your favorite military aircraft and why?

Thought I would start a discussion.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Ragnar Hogbrok

AH-64D Longbow Apache.

In war, it's my means of delivering death, destruction, and damnation.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

AirForceHog

You would think that mine would be the F-22 but it is the F-15E strike eagle AKA chubby cheeks.

SteveInArk

C-5A.  Spent my flight years trash-hauling in one; then the remainder supporting it and other airlift aircraft, in en route support and transportation jobs.  The A-model only, never got to fly in the B or M models, just the original.

"Bringing bombs, rockets, and supplies to a war near you."   :razorback:

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Calvin N Hawgs

Every base I was assigned to during my career had C-130's, and I have had my fill of them.  I love the fighters and as far as Bombers go, when the B-1 came out I thought it was so cool looking...but my favorite aircraft has been and always will be ...  The A-10 Warthog!

TeufelHog

October 02, 2010, 08:17:50 pm #5 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:00:34 pm by TeufelHog
I know its' days are numbered, but since I fly it, the CH-46E Sea-Knight . . . "Chariot of the Gods,"  Phrogs Phorever!

pigture perfect

UH-1H Huey and CH-47 Chinook, I crew chiefed both and both are / were long lived because of their toughness.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

1CavHog

C-17 Freedom Bird, the best moment of a tour in Iraq is getting on that flight at BIAP.

1CavHog

Tactically though the Apache without a doubt, no better sight when you are in a tight spot on the ground than when those birds show up.

pigture perfect

From a distance, I would have liked to see what Puff the Magic Dragon would do.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Old Tusk

My first assignment after UPT was the AC-47. I logged over 1000 hrs. in it and other derivatives of the C-47. The chance to fly one iconic aircraft of all time was great from a pilots point of view. 
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 03, 2010, 08:46:07 pm
My first assignment after UPT was the AC-47. I logged over 1000 hrs. in it and other derivatives of the C-47. The chance to fly one iconic aircraft of all time was great from a pilots point of view. 

Well you dated yourself and I am jealous.  I'm a FAIP and fly in and out of Lubbock quite a bit and they've got a C-47 sitting at the entrance to the FBO.  I always wanted to fly that plane.  A buddy of mine says they still fly them in African air forces.  He did an exercise with them and said they are pristine with turboprops replacing the recips.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

I love my jet, I've flown all around the country in it and it's a pretty good time.  But of course everyone is biased to what they currently fly.

Flying the Buffalo River:

And others:

Flying Razorback

And to really stand in awe of a jet, look no farther than the C-130.  It's the only plane that's been in continuous production since it was introduced in the mid-50s.  They still have jets on the line that have patch marks from hits taken in Vietnam and other wars.  The design worked so well, there's not a whole lot that's needed to change in all the subsequent years.  It's very much like a Jeep Wrangler.  They got it right the first time and it's just been modernization ever since.

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Old Tusk

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 03, 2010, 08:49:31 pm
Well you dated yourself and I am jealous.  I'm a FAIP and fly in and out of Lubbock quite a bit and they've got a C-47 sitting at the entrance to the FBO.  I always wanted to fly that plane.  A buddy of mine says they still fly them in African air forces.  He did an exercise with them and said they are pristine with turboprops replacing the recips.

In 1970 over half of the worlds airline passengers flew on DC-3s. A truly amazing aircraft.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Old Tusk

Another defining aircraft was the KC-135(B-707). It set the standard for modern air transportation. Arguably the most important aircraft in the invertory for decades.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 04, 2010, 04:54:46 pm
Another defining aircraft was the KC-135(B-707). It set the standard for modern air transportation. Arguably the most important aircraft in the invertory for decades.

You're right about that, it's still the backbone of the refueling fleet.  Washington begs and pleads for a replacement but only if they get to personally profit from it.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on October 03, 2010, 09:09:52 pm
And to really stand in awe of a jet, look no farther than the C-130.  It's the only plane that's been in continuous production since it was introduced in the mid-50s.  They still have jets on the line that have patch marks from hits taken in Vietnam and other wars.  The design worked so well, there's not a whole lot that's needed to change in all the subsequent years.  It's very much like a Jeep Wrangler.  They got it right the first time and it's just been modernization ever since.

B52 is in that same neighborhood with the C130 when it comes to longevity and service.

My favorite...its close AC-130 (can't beat a plane that has a freaking M102 Howitzer on it!!!!) or the A-10

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Airforcehawg on October 07, 2010, 09:35:11 am
B52 is in that same neighborhood with the C130 when it comes to longevity and service.

My favorite...its close AC-130 (can't beat a plane that has a freaking M102 Howitzer on it!!!!) or the A-10

The difference between the 130 and the B-52 and -135 variants out there, is the fact that the C-130 is still in production all these years later.  The other jets are still around because they work but there's been no money or priority to have them replaced.  They're attempting to replace the KC-135s right now, but the political climate won't allow it.  The C-130 is still rolling off production lines.  The design worked and it still does.

Old Tusk

If you are talking about length of specific airframes, the 135 wins. The J model bares almost no resemblance to earlier models. I love my time in 130s.

scoami

EP-3E............Ugly, but well hung!

A-10

A-10, F-16, F-15, and the B-52

CallThemHawgs!

B1 Lancer.... Just somethin about it... the lines are awesome its just a big sexy sweet lookin bomber.

PIGINAPOKE

F-4...They looked great flying of my carrier.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

AirForceHog

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on December 05, 2010, 01:20:48 pm
F-4...They looked great flying of my carrier.

We affectionately called that the flying brick.

SC Hogfan

A-10 without a doubt.  If you've ever been on the ground when they do a strafing run, you'd probably feel the same.  Don't know if anything compares.
American by birth.
Southern by the grace of God.
And a Razorback till I die.
WPS!

autohog

F22 - Just a sharp looking plane!  That's my sexy pick.

C141 Starlifter is still my favorite though.  Guess now I'll just have to admire it in pictures.

artyhog

The F-100 Voodoo.  I worked on it as a Weapons Mechanic for 2 1/2 years.

Boarcephus

Quote from: A-10 on December 02, 2010, 12:37:49 pm
F-16

That and the P-51 are how fighters are supposed to look.  Looks like they're going forward even sitting on the ground.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Razorbackmedic

The one that flew my arse out of Iraq!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Razorbackmedic on January 11, 2011, 06:11:21 pm
The one that flew my arse out of Iraq!

LMAO!!!  Bet that's true with a lot of guys these days.  +1. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Blue35

Chuck Boarris

I'm quite partial to the B-52H. Been a crew chief on it for the last 11 years. Other than the Buff, my favorite is the F-15 and the A-10.

Michaelt

My fav has always been the Phantom!
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

pheine78

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on September 29, 2010, 11:02:45 am
Every base I was assigned to during my career had C-130's, and I have had my fill of them.  I love the fighters and as far as Bombers go, when the B-1 came out I thought it was so cool looking...but my favorite aircraft has been and always will be ...  The A-10 Warthog!

Love it!  It has always been my favorite paintscheme.  Next on my list would be the Apache and Kiowa Warrior (that's a tough little dude and I have seen the pilots do amazing things with it.)
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

AirForceHog

Quote from: Michaelt on March 30, 2011, 04:54:10 pm

My fav has always been the Phantom!

Affectionately known as the flying brick.

Porquemada

AC-130U Spooky gunship with the A-10 a close second

cw2

Spectre Gun ship.  End all, be all of *** stuff up.  If/when I have that support, I get a warm, fuzzy inside.

wyav99

I agree, the crew are the most important when it comes to flying.  However being on both sides of that coin, pilot and crew chief.  It does not go flyhing without a pilot in command.  Helo's are my thing, hovering is my thing.

old hog

Never did fly much, but I guess my favorite would have to be the one I'm in that lands safely.
Seriously, do love the looks and sound of the Phantom and A-10.

BiggieHawg

Sexiest plane of all time, P-51D with the P-38 a distant second.  Currently I would have to say the A-10(what I've always wanted to fly) or the F-22.
I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me. 
I represent the fighting spirit of the the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It.

tsgtred

i cant attach a picture of it, but my favorite aircraft is the MQ-1B Predator.  The one I have as my avitar has my name on it.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: BiggieHawg on May 18, 2011, 01:04:10 am
Sexiest plane of all time, P-51D with the P-38 a distant second.  Currently I would have to say the A-10(what I've always wanted to fly) or the F-22.

If they could just get the F-22 to fly again then it would be a lot cooler.  Many planes look great sitting on the ground but it sucks when they won't even fly....

http://defensetech.org/2011/05/06/f-22-fleet-grounded-indefinitely/

http://www.news.com.au/world/us-grounds-fleet-of-f-22-fighter-jets/story-e6frfkyi-1226081824105

I love when big budget killing projects like this hit HUGE problems and aren't even operational after the near trillions spent on them, and yet there's not a peep from anyone about it.  For as much time, money, and a pain the F-22 program has been, it should be the most perfect aircraft ever and not keep running in to problems like this that ground them.

It'll probably be retired before it ever sees a war anyway.  It's first shot at a war was Libya but it was still stuck on the less than 25,000 feet restriction before the grounding and had to sit it out.

At least it looks good at airshows and in movies...

IronHog

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on July 01, 2011, 10:53:04 pm
If they could just get the F-22 to fly again then it would be a lot cooler.  Many planes look great sitting on the ground but it sucks when they won't even fly....

http://defensetech.org/2011/05/06/f-22-fleet-grounded-indefinitely/

http://www.news.com.au/world/us-grounds-fleet-of-f-22-fighter-jets/story-e6frfkyi-1226081824105

I love when big budget killing projects like this hit HUGE problems and aren't even operational after the near trillions spent on them, and yet there's not a peep from anyone about it.  For as much time, money, and a pain the F-22 program has been, it should be the most perfect aircraft ever and not keep running in to problems like this that ground them.

It'll probably be retired before it ever sees a war anyway.  It's first shot at a war was Libya but it was still stuck on the less than 25,000 feet restriction before the grounding and had to sit it out.

At least it looks good at airshows and in movies...

Has the rest of the world come close to the F14 yet?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on July 01, 2011, 11:04:33 pm

Has the rest of the world come close to the F14 yet?
haven't we been selling those things abroad to make room for the newer models?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

AirForceHog

The F-22 not entering Libya has nothing to do with its current "strategic pause", fancy word for grounding.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 11, 2011, 06:16:11 pm
haven't we been selling those things abroad to make room for the newer models?

I doubt it...

They sold some to Iran years back and don't want them to have spare parts.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AirForceHog

The F-14 is retired. We have no F-14s flying. Maybe as drones to be shot down but not operational flying.