Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Post 911 GI Bill?

Started by B-mark Hog, May 06, 2009, 12:35:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

B-mark Hog

O.K. so this thing is set to be given out on August 1st 2009. I don't know about you but the V.A. has a checkered past on saying one thing and producing quite another. . . So far the way I understand it is that it will be a Tiered Education benefit that goes from 36 months active service to 4 months active service. . . Does anyone know if it is given to everyone who has been given an Honorable Discharge and has served more than 4 months?
Live life to its' fullest because once it is over you have no second chance. I live life to the fullest by loving the times I get to spend as a Razorback. There is nothing better than looking out over the field and knowing that you are apart of one of the most unique colleges in all of America.

dennab

Quote from: B-mark Hog on May 06, 2009, 12:35:15 pm
O.K. so this thing is set to be given out on August 1st 2009. I don't know about you but the V.A. has a checkered past on saying one thing and producing quite another. . . So far the way I understand it is that it will be a Tiered Education benefit that goes from 36 months active service to 4 months active service. . . Does anyone know if it is given to everyone who has been given an Honorable Discharge and has served more than 4 months?

My understanding is that you qualify once you've served more than 3 years active duty since Sep. 11.  You can give your family your GI Bill if you've served more than 10 years AD, and you now receive SSgt. BAH for 36 months when you get out as long as you are going to school more than 51% of the time. 

hogman

Yes. If you served more than 3-4 months AD and were honorably discharged, you get placed in a Tier. You will not get full benefits until you complete 3 years active. That being said, if you already used the old GI Bill, you're benefits will also drop. They will deduct what you've used from that from the new one. You can also still opt. to go with the old GI bill.

And yes, the V.A. has already been talking about postponing it another 6 mo. to a year b/c of not only finances, but b/c when they introduced the plan, there were a lot of gaps that they had to fill in legal wise.

B-mark Hog

Thanks, just needed to hear from other vets on this GI Bill. From what I hear they are taking in applications now. According to the VA reps that have gone to the conferences the VA is claiming to have it ready. Just as you stated hogman, they may or may not postpone. My hopes are that they don't so that I can complete my plans on attending U of A.
Live life to its' fullest because once it is over you have no second chance. I live life to the fullest by loving the times I get to spend as a Razorback. There is nothing better than looking out over the field and knowing that you are apart of one of the most unique colleges in all of America.

hogginbama

Yes B-mark, as the others stated, you will be tiered up to 100% costs not to exceed to most expensive public college in the state you are living in. The money for tuition will be paid directly to the college, the housing money will come to you and the book stipend will come directly to you. From the briefings we have had in the recruiting world, everything is in line to start in August as planned. There was some arguements over the differences in tuition between states, but I believe that has been straightened out. If you are eligible for the old one, you will have the ability to switch to the new one in August. If you paid in $1200 for the old one, you will be refunded that $1200 once you have exhausted all benefits under the new GI Bill.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

OahuHawg

Also I think it should be noted that the way I understand it is that the Post 9/11 GI only pays for degree seeking in-class education.  Online Education, Certifications, Licenses etc.. are still covered under the Montgomery, but not under the new one.  So depending on what you are doing with it, in some circumstances it may be better to stick with the old one.

B-mark Hog

Yea, going to be using it at the U of A starting this Fall semester. Already applied, been accepted, and got housing arrangements being set up in less than two weeks. Will start at the U of A in Summer II.

hogman

congrats man. I'm glad to hear someone is using it as intended. More often than not, people don't take advantage.

B-mark Hog

Yeah, the U of A is special to me. My brother graduated from there the last year I was in service. He did that after 15 years, he kind of got lost down the road. He swears that he will kick my butt if that happens to me. So, with that kind of support I had better graduate on time and with at least a 3.0 g.p.a. What I am really looking forward to doing is getting in there working for U.A.T.V. and helping others make the U of A commercials and doing sports broadcasting. So, hope to get to see some of you up at the games next year.  :razorback: Go Hogs Go!!! :razorback:

hogginbama

Good luck in your endeavors B-Mark. One question for you...did you pay into the old GI-Bill? If so, as it stands now, once you exhaust all of your benefits under the Post 9-11 Bill, you can apply and have that $1200 refunded to you.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

B-mark Hog

Yea I did, I had heard about that, that is one heck of a way to give me some money for a down-payment on my first apartment. I mean, I never thought that we would actually see that money in any other form other than a Scholarship. Thanks for the heads up I really appreciate it.

Oliverhogman

If you are going to go to school in Arkansas the VA will pay 167 per qtr hour.  You pay the rest.  I am going to Bryan college in Rogers and it cost a little over 200 a qtr.  Got a Pell Grant for the rest of it.  The VA in Muskogee can answer all your questions.

Oliverhogman

June 09, 2009, 02:59:55 pm #13 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:37:43 am by Oliverhogman
Were any of you ex-military AGR after 9-11.

If you were then you can forget about applying for the Post 9-11 GI Bill.

The stupid *$#(#*#  did not include AGR time into the bill.

You are on active duty.
You can get mobilized.
But you do not qualify.
FTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found that this is not "entirely" true.
if you were AGR reserve you would qualify.

if you were AGR National Guard (Title 32) you do not qualify for the Post 911 GI Bill.

bigghurtt

It was brought to my attention yesterday that the new bill will not cover minors.  This is a MAJOR hole in the bill, imho.  I gave ten years of my life, it would be nice if I didn't have to come out of pocket to have a minor.

Razorvet

Its important that you all spend sometime on the VA website as well as visiting a big med center where the va reps are the most informed.
As some of you know my little brother was killed in an auto accident on the fourth and we were just informed his spouse will recieve his GI bill. He only served 4 years... So you never really know what can be done til you discuss it with your rep.

B-mark Hog

It is very important to note that you don't get a Minor and have to come out of pocket for it. However, I will be willing to do this. I want to have a Major in Broadcasting Journalism and Minor in Communications. 

USAHOG

Quote from: Klynt21 on May 13, 2009, 10:11:00 pm
Also I think it should be noted that the way I understand it is that the Post 9/11 GI only pays for degree seeking in-class education.  Online Education, Certifications, Licenses etc.. are still covered under the Montgomery, but not under the new one.  So depending on what you are doing with it, in some circumstances it may be better to stick with the old one.

This is incorrect. The Post 9/11 bill CAN be used towards tuition for online education. In order to receive the BAH benefit you must take one class on campus. I am using it this coming semester and 12 of my hours are online. I'm taking one class on campus so I can receive the BAH benefit as well.

Additionally, tutorial assistance and reimbursement for one licensing or certification test reimbursement are available under the Post- 9/11 GI Bill.

Oliverhogman

Do you have to take the on line courses and the on campus corses from the same school?  In other words can you take (on line courses) from Grantham University which is in Kansas City and take one class at a Communtity college in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

hawg23

I get 70% of the highest in the state... SO i can go to nwacc for free... tuition and fees.. also I will get 350 a semester for books and 600 a month for living expenses.

So i am going to be a nurse.
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

Oliverhogman

Who said you get 350 per semester for books?

Muskogee VA is telling you people one thing and everyone else something different.

hawg23

its 1000 a year payed at the 70% rate (for me)

Its in black and white on VA.gov

Oliverhogman

Oh ok.  I get the 100% rate that is why I was asking.

Hopefully Presdent Elf Ears will give the military a raise on their BAH this fiscal year.

hawg23

Yeah its on a proportional rating system. I find it quite fair .. Its more fair than doing 600 days overseas and then getting NADA when you got out of the reserves. Which was the situation before.

B-mark Hog

I just got my stuff turned in to the U of A for this fall, when I will start my first semester. I am currently pulling off the Razorback Athlete style summer school program. Man, I will never do this again. Next year, I am taking the summer off. . . There is -no- way I will ever -willingly- do summer school again. It is just too intense. Feels like basic only completely mental and having to memorize like 20 different B.M.T. books.