Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need advice from vets on leaving or staying in service

Started by 1CavHog, December 03, 2008, 12:42:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1CavHog

I am 27 and about to go to Iraq for the third time. When I get back I have the option of leaving the Army. I will have 6 years ADS at that time. I am undecided on what to do, I like the Army but am tired of always being gone. Interested in hearing what other vets have to say based on their experience upon separating. 

razorbacker231

sounds like a personal decision man.  not being sarcastic so please don't take it that way. 

guess i will tell you a little personal experience though since you ask.  i was in from 00 to 04, and was 20 to 24 at the time.  spent my time on an airborne post, which i loved and hated.  i loved being a soldier and a part of something bigger than myself, at the same time i felt like my life was on hold until i was out. 

i did consider re upping, but chose to get out, and am enjoying civilian life.   there are certain freedoms we take for granted that you do not have while serving.  like going so far away on a weekend without having to ask permission or get a pov inspection.  not shaving before going to work when the night was to long.

i enjoy that i am not leaving my wife at home with jodie for 9 months or a year at a time.  i have a son now, which i never would've intentionally done while in, just because it is so hard on family life. 

i make quite a bit more now than i did, (hopefully you used some of that time for free school).  my family is much better off now than it would be had i still been a soldier...may not be more financially stable, but then again, i think the character you build while in, puts you at an advantage over your co workers.  also, don't be afraid to flaunt those accomplishments on a resume' if you choose to get out.  and take advantage of the clearing time.  they show you how to build a nice resume'

All that being said, i do miss some aspects of being a soldier.  i miss it enough that i actually did go to the airforce and look into being a pilot.  that was the one thing i would consider joining again for.  i was just past being to old to do what i wanted to do, so i have no plans to go back.

maybe this is a little vague, but i don't want to ramble to long.  again, for me and my family, it was the right thing to do.  but ultimately that is a decision that only you know is right for you. 

p.s.    there are some really hard times right now in the financial world.  if you choose to get out, i strongly recommend doing some research on unemployment stats in your expected place to live. and look for a job before you leave.  you may find that right now it is harder to get one than you remember.

SteveInArk

December 03, 2008, 06:47:54 pm #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:59:11 pm by SteveInArk
Razorbacker231... good response.  My career was a different service, a different time in history.  I would not attempt to offer an opinion on reenlisting in today's situation.

I can only add that if you "and your wife/family" both love being a military family, a career might be an option.  If there are any reservations from either side of the family...  then proceed cautiously.  I could not/would not have stayed for a career if my family wasn't 100% on board.

We hope the constant time away in a war zone will change for you and others serving today.  But we can't know what the future holds -- even with a change in the CINC coming in January.  Best of luck and hope you choose the best possible course.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

razorbacker231

edit,

you may research the financial and investment forum, and the networking forum as part of the buy sell and trade.  it will give you a scope of the civilian workforce in AR and surrounding.  not trying to scare you, just help you be informed before you decide.

1CavHog

Good to hear of others experience. I will wait and see how I feel after this next deployment and see how the job market is. The one smart thing I did was use the Army to get my degree for free so it shouldn't be too bad. Either of you stay in the NG/USAR when you were done?

razorbacker231

i considered it, but i was a parachute rigger and there are no airborne units in or around Arkansas.  i had no desire to go to AIT as a 4 yr vet.  especially right after a wake up.  lol.  also, when i was deployed, about 60 percent of the people i met over there were reservists.  so i thought if I'm going to stay deployed i might as well stay active.

i finally decided that was just a way for me to not let go, and if figured i was either going to be in or out.  not just stand halfway in the door. 

i do have a buddy at work though, who spent 8 active and now has combined 21 years and is a Sgt major in the reserves and loves it.  another with similar background who is a light colonel.  he is happy there also.  Sgt major is gone as i am typing, on a yr long training something or other though.  not a deployment, but gone none the less.

SteveInArk

Quote from: 1CavHog on December 03, 2008, 08:49:46 pm
Good to hear of others experience. I will wait and see how I feel after this next deployment and see how the job market is. The one smart thing I did was use the Army to get my degree for free so it shouldn't be too bad. Either of you stay in the NG/USAR when you were done?
I didn't, but I would have done so, if not finished with 20.  Stayed in NE with corporate jobs for years after leaving active duty to get sons thru school, etc.  Moved back here three years ago.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

artyhog

1Cav,

I have been layed off twice since retiring from the USAF. If it wasn't for my retirement, I would not have been able to make it.

Deployments are tough.  I was in the big sand box twice.  But in the end, I am very thankful that I stuck it out to retire.  Especially with the economy as bad as it is. 

hawgrunner

I got out in 91 and have worked as a GOVT Contractor ever since and love it.

But that's just me.

I would have to agree with some of the other posts here "The Economy" may also play a roll in your decision.

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

Shipmate,

You have got to really weigh your options.

I got out after 8 years.  My son had cancer, he was receiving treatment at St Jude and my next duty station would have been haze gray and underway.  Without question, I had to stay with the boy.

Here it is now 2008.  Not long back I would have retired.  I LOVED the Navy.  It was the best job I have ever had.  It was challenging and there was great responsibility in my duties.  My son was 15 months old when he underwent treatment and he is 15 years old now, cancer free.  I have never questioned my decision.

While I would have stayed in the Navy under any other circumstance I could think of at this time, I cannot fathom what I missed from my path choice.  However, I have made the most of my decision.  I have dear friends whom I would not have met otherwise.

You have to believe you will make it whichever way you choose. 

1CavHog

Great advice. I know one thing for sure the years are flying by. It seemed like just yesterday I was a 19 year old E-1 and that was 8 years ago.

PIGINAPOKE

I kick myself now, But not back then. I had 2 kids and did not want to move them around for 15 yrs. Your choice. It is hard on a family.

Good luck what ever you choose.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

hogginbama

Tough decision you have in front of you man. I took the stance 20+ years ago that as long as I enjoyed it I was going to stay in. 20 years later I am still here ticking off the days. It has been a good life, have put one child through college, working on number two and number three will be ready in a couple of years. I am also looking at the long term, especially with the new GI Bill that will be effective next year. Transfer those New GI Bill benefits to the youngest one, and his education will be paid for 100%, with just an additional 4 yrs. That won't be too bad I suppose since I will owe them a couple of more when I pin on my diamond in a couple of months.

It is a personal decision that you have to make. If you are married with kids, you have to consider them also. Sit down with the missus (if there is one), you guys weigh the good and the bad and go from there. If you want a break from the deployments you can always volunteer for recruiting and get a 3 year break. You should also see how the new administration is going to play things out, never know, the deployments might actually decrease a bit.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hawgrunner

Quote from: U.S.S. Razorback on December 05, 2008, 12:48:36 am
Shipmate,

You have got to really weigh your options.

I got out after 8 years.  My son had cancer, he was receiving treatment at St Jude and my next duty station would have been haze gray and underway.  Without question, I had to stay with the boy.

Here it is now 2008.  Not long back I would have retired.  I LOVED the Navy.  It was the best job I have ever had.  It was challenging and there was great responsibility in my duties.  My son was 15 months old when he underwent treatment and he is 15 years old now, cancer free.  I have never questioned my decision.

While I would have stayed in the Navy under any other circumstance I could think of at this time, I cannot fathom what I missed from my path choice.  However, I have made the most of my decision.  I have dear friends whom I would not have met otherwise.

You have to believe you will make it whichever way you choose. 

Good News about your Son.

usnavyhogfan

I just went through this same tough decision you are in and hopefully I can help a fellow vet out. There are many factors that affected my decision most of which have been stated above. I'm navy joined at 18 and nearly 9 years active duty. I decided to stay in for the following reasons, medical benefits for my family which can be expensive on the outside, a good retirement at the age of 38, unsure economy, love of serving my country, a fun and rewarding job(most of the time LOL), camraderie, financial stability, educational benefits, really the list goes on and on. Military life is not easy on the family but after many long discussions with the wife weighing the pros and cons of getting out vs staying in I decided to stay. Another thing I did was really try to picture myself on the outside
As a regular joe and the more I thought about it I just can't picture myself doing anything else at this point in time. Another option would be to switch branches to try something different if you need something different. I know I rambled alot but I hope this helps in some way.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

rtom

looking back, i wish that i had stayed in the navy instead of getting out...had a good time (and not just partying) for me hindsight is better and wish i had made the choice to stay in..situations are different for everyone and decisions to made are not the same for everyone