Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's not forget Pearl Harbor Day

Started by Anon2, December 07, 2007, 02:49:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaulknerHogfan

Your right on Anon....Makes out obsticles so little..

Hogs-n-Roses

I'm a world war II buff and last year prior to the South Carolina game we went to the Yorktown. It was early in the AM and I got to be on board when the flag was raised and the National Anthem played. it was all I could do to control my emotions, then the old man sitting next to me had a tear in his eye and I broke down. After about 30 minutes of talk to him and finding out that he lost his brother on the original Yorktown and he himself had served on that on there. There was an aircraft carrier being built at the time the original went down . The one in port was then named Yorktown. This is one of most humbling moments of my life. I cannot express to all of you veterans just how grateful my family and I are to each of you.It is because of you that I live the life I have today and the main reason we didn't have Sour Kraut  for supper and Saki to drink!

Boarcephus

The Military Channel has had some great shows on this evening with great footage and I've found it much more interesting than reading about some screwed up coach search fiasco the UofA is trying to pull off (it's commmercial time or I'd be back in front of the tv)

By the way, met a vet today who was on board the Lexington during WWII.  Crew chief on a F4F Wildcat.   He was on board the day the Japanese sunk it during the Battle of the Coral Sea.  Said he floated around for about 4 hours til the heavy cruiser New Orleans picked him.  He's 85, suffering pulminary problems but remembers it as if happened only hours ago.  Got to love the vets.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

clutchhog

Hogs-n-Roses...thanks for the post...i have been to the Yorktown as well...when i was stationed at Beaufort S.C....it is truly inspiring, and represents the very best of our country's efforts in preserving all of our freedoms both past and present...thanks again, Semper Fi,Clutch

Purple Tiger

December 07, 2007, 09:32:37 pm #54 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:50:16 pm by Purple Tiger
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 07, 2007, 03:24:13 pm
My dad was a B-25 pilot in occupied China (in 1944). This is where it began...his battle with the Empire of Japan. Now, he can be heard in the South Endzone b!tching about Nutt's playcalling and Reggie's D giving up big plays. (Well, some of that will change next year.)

God bless all the vets.

My Dad hit Omaha Beach on 6/6/44. He was 6 mos past his 18th birthday. He was shot through the mouth and took 157 penecillin(sp) shots while hospitilized in Germany.He died a week ago today.

El Puerco Grande

Sorry to hear that. Your dad was a hero.
How 'bout them hogs?

clutchhog

Purple tiger, I am sorry for your loss.. as rjoyner44 stated your Dad was and always will be a hero...his legacy will live on for as long as we all remember..and as is thankfully apparent here...should be for along time....be proud of your fathers' bravery..and pass it on as i am sure you have to your children and grandchildren take care, Clutchhog

centarkswine

God bless those who have served and who are serving in our country's armed forces.

and also God Bless the USA!!!!!!!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Purple Tiger on December 07, 2007, 09:32:37 pm

My Dad hit Omaha Beach on 6/6/44. He was 6 mos past his 18th birthday. He was shot through the mouth and took 157 penecillin(sp) shots while hospitilized in Germany.He died a week ago today.

Tejano, your Dad served in a difficult theater of the war and hats off to him. Purple Tiger, my Dad came right in behind yours, taking shrapnel in his back that he carried to the day he died. He would never talk about the war, what he went through or what he did. I lost my Dad 4 years ago this coming March and ti was only on his death, that I found out he had been awarded the Bronze Star twice during the liberation of Europe, serving under George Patton. Your Father went through a lot and I am sorry for your loss. Your Father, my Father, all who served then, all who served before them, all who have served since, are heroes in their own right and I am thankful for their sacrifices. God bless you and your family in this hour of loss.
Go Hogs Go!

40MINSOFHELL

well i know this doesn't have anything to do with pearl harbor but it has to do with world war 2...i visited omaha beach last year...its a must see if ur a huge world war 2 person like i am...but it was so touching..i had a tear in my eye just looking out over the beach and i was only 19 at the time...it's just sad to see that the world has to go through these things sometimes....Thank You World War 2 Veterans and all the veterans in the military....God Bless USA!!!

Soooie21

Biggest mistake Japan ever made...and I believe we were able to salvage all but 2 of the ships....and had them back in action in no time...

Purple Tiger

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2007, 11:31:37 pm
Tejano, your Dad served in a difficult theater of the war and hats off to him. Purple Tiger, my Dad came right in behind yours, taking shrapnel in his back that he carried to the day he died. He would never talk about the war, what he went through or what he did. I lost my Dad 4 years ago this coming March and ti was only on his death, that I found out he had been awarded the Bronze Star twice during the liberation of Europe, serving under George Patton. Your Father went through a lot and I am sorry for your loss. Your Father, my Father, all who served then, all who served before them, all who have served since, are heroes in their own right and I am thankful for their sacrifices. God bless you and your family in this hour of loss.

Thanks folks for your kind words.My father nor my uncles and others of that generation never talked about WW!!. They diid not beat their chest,discuss their deeds,and did not consider themselves heros. They earned the title of America's Greatest Generation. Thanks again for ya'lls kind words.

Tejano Jawg

Clutch, Muskogee, Purple Tiger...it meant a lot to read your posts. A very welcomed diversion from all the other Hog news (or lack thereof). The significance of what our fathers and grandfathers did cannot be fully or justly expressed. We can just keep their memories and their deeds alive.

My father was 42 when I was born...so I've gotten to hear (and appreciate) many stories of what that time was like. I feel fortunate to be so close to those events, from my dad. My fear is that the farther we are to those who served in WWII, the more distant and more diffused it all becomes.

Keep remembering.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

stronguard

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on December 07, 2007, 05:05:14 pm
I am reminded today of Bama's loss to La-Monroe recently. 

I love these little nuggets of humor.

Pearl Harbor Day should be remembered for all time.  A big thank you to the greatest generation.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: stronguard on December 08, 2007, 02:14:29 am
I love these little nuggets of humor.

Pearl Harbor Day should be remembered for all time.  A big thank you to the greatest generation.

It will be remembered for all time. It was the beginning of one of the 2 or 3 greatest national efforts ever put forth by this country, along with the Revolutionary War and WW I.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on December 08, 2007, 12:06:26 am
well i know this doesn't have anything to do with pearl harbor but it has to do with world war 2...i visited omaha beach last year...its a must see if ur a huge world war 2 person like i am...but it was so touching..i had a tear in my eye just looking out over the beach and i was only 19 at the time...it's just sad to see that the world has to go through these things sometimes....Thank You World War 2 Veterans and all the veterans in the military....God Bless USA!!!

If any of you get an opportunity to visit Europe, it is well worth your time to visit an American Military Cemetary. I have visited several of them and I found it not only sobering, but spectacular. I am thankful that our taxe dollars still maintain these cemetaries. Everything is laid out at right angles, pristeen and white, like they were placed there yesterday. It is an awesome experience. If you can, if you have the chance, don't miss going. It is something that is overlooked by most travelers.
Go Hogs Go!