Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's not forget Pearl Harbor Day

Started by Anon2, December 07, 2007, 02:49:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anon2

Dec. 7, 1941, 2400 American lives were lost.  Demo-Gaz had nothing about it today or maybe I missed it.

mizzouman

bokid12

+1, God Bless those that gave their lives and everyone that serves.

kuhog

I didn't read the Demo-Gaz from front to back, so I don't know if anything was mentioned. However, I would be very disapointed if they didn't mention anything about Pearl Harbor. It's only one of the most significant days in American history.

bowhuntinhawg

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Anon2 on December 07, 2007, 02:49:32 pm
Dec. 7, 1941, 2400 American lives were lost.  Demo-Gaz had nothing about it today or maybe I missed it.

You have got to be kidding me about the news paper.

We will never forget! GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS, SAILORS, AIRMEN, MARINES, COAST GUARDSMEN, and NATIONAL GUARDSMEN.  All the men and women that lived back then and helped to equip our troops with what they needed to be successful.

DukeOfPork

Okay, so what is the ADG supposed to say about it?  Is there some new angle to report on?

Ceba

When you see one of the old WWII vets, Thank them.  There are not many left.

sylvia

Thank-you for the reminder! 

Quote from: Anon2 on December 07, 2007, 02:49:32 pm

Squealers

ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

ICEman

DemGaz probably thought to factor in the 16 leap-years since that mournful day on December 7th, 1941.  The DemGaz will have their memorial expose' on the 23rd of December.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

1hogfan

Yeah PorkPariah, They could teach kids history that is not being taught in our schools. Everyone is not old enough to have been taught or remember!

LSluvsthehogs

let's not forget, just as we wouldn't want those in the future to forget the tragedies of our time such as September 11th

kuhog

Quote from: PorkPariah on December 07, 2007, 03:04:51 pm
Okay, so what is the ADG supposed to say about it?  Is there some new angle to report on?

Well, say something in honoring the troops that were attacked so cowardly and vigorously. It's a piece of American history. It deserves to be mentioned on yearly basis. If the Dem-Gaz finds it appropriate to remind us every year in honoring the Little Rock Nine, the Space Shuttle casualties, 911 victims, and so on, then Pearl Harbor shouldn't be considered any less historic.

lrhog2007

Check page 8B of the Arkansas section.

Tejano Jawg

My dad was a B-25 pilot in occupied China (in 1944). This is where it began...his battle with the Empire of Japan. Now, he can be heard in the South Endzone b!tching about Nutt's playcalling and Reggie's D giving up big plays. (Well, some of that will change next year.)

God bless all the vets.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

El Puerco Grande

Here is short story about PHD. I was stationed at Hickam AFB near Pearl Harbour in the early 80's. The building that I worked in was riddled with pock marks from the attack on 12-07-41. I worked shift work, and at night there were only 2 or 3 people in the entire building. I was there one night and looked at the calender and realized it was the aniversary of the attack. There were several people that had died in that building on that very date. I started hearing noises and imagining all sorts of stuff. The bathroom was down a long hallway, so when I had to take a leak, I let her fly out the window. I was creeped out all night. Man, was I glad to see the dayshift come to work.
How 'bout them hogs?

DeltaBoy

Remembering the 900+ emtombed in the Fighting A  USS Arizona.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfanwp

Any past or present military Hog fans out there?

One here.

swhogpen

It is because of the many who gave so much even the ultimate sacrifice that we have the freedom to sit on our butts and speak our drivel and cry and complain about something that in the big scheme of things is not life altering like who will be our next coach. To these brave souls I give my heart felt thanks and admoration for what I and my fellow Americans have the freedom to do.                                                         MAY GOD BLESS THEM ALL AND OUR CURRENT SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN

BigArkyintheRock

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

PigglyWiggly

We'll never forget.  Thanks to any of you who were in the armed forces as well (and those you may know)

HogBrew

I have 3 calenders in my office, only 1 has it marked as Pearl Harbor Day. Thanks for bringing this up. God Bless the USA... :razorback: :razorback:

Anon2

Quote from: lrhog2007 on December 07, 2007, 03:22:16 pm
Check page 8B of the Arkansas section.

My apologies. Haven't got to the editoral section yet.  Mine is on 4B of the early edition down here.

PorkerOinker

Nice to hear from you coach SABAN. Just kidding

GOD bless all those that serve.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Anon2

You sound like someone who has never served your country or lost a loved one or friend in the service.

Faedian7

My Grandfather: Brown, Glen M, GMC, US Navy, Pearl Harbor Survivor, USS Detroit CL-8 (6 Battle Stars); TX

I'm amazed everytime he tells me his story of this day. Needless to say, I'm proud to be his grandson!

slopinhogs

info for some of the mO fans and you all. My dad was a chief petty officer and was 150 miles from Pearl 80 ft underwater welding a cracked scew back on the BB MISSOURI or it would have been in pearl on dec 7 1941.

i rectired frsom the Navy in 1979 as a senior chief. thak all who have died and served this great country and those now serving her. God bless each and every o of youne

WW11 vets are dieng at a rate of 2 per hour but we should never forget what took place on that day:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

USCoastGuard

Come back over Gus!

Preston Lewis

The flag at my home is flying half staff today. 

Sadly, I've seen many banks and businesses today that didn't observe this.

God Bless our Veterans

DukeOfPork

December 07, 2007, 04:02:26 pm #30 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:04:39 pm by PorkPariah
Quote from: 1hogfan on December 07, 2007, 03:10:52 pm
Yeah PorkPariah, They could teach kids history that is not being taught in our schools. Everyone is not old enough to have been taught or remember!

So the ADG is responsible for teaching our kids basic American history? 

My Grandpa was overrun and caught behind enemy lines in the Battle of the Bulge.  I'm kinda offended that he's getting the shaft from you guys since you started a thread about Pearl Harbor but you don't give a hoot about the men who lost their lives in the Battle of the Bulge.

Don't get me wrong, Pearl Harbor is significant and every American should (and does) know about it.  But I just don't see why you should get so outraged when it isn't reported like a current event 66 years later.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Anon2 on December 07, 2007, 03:42:30 pm
You sound like someone who has never served your country or lost a loved one or friend in the service.

It's a newspaper.  They're supposed to report news.

If the President was in Little Rock to commemorate Pearl Harbor, then you would see it on the front of the ADG.

Because that would be "news".

1hogfan

PorkPariah, I disagree, but I do now understand the tone of your post. On 12/16 I will remember that battle also and wish the ADG would mention it.

HognotinMemphis

I am reminded today of Bama's loss to La-Monroe recently. 
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DenverHogFan

My late grandfather, life-time Benton resident, was at Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed and survived.  Received a Purple Heart for shrapnel in the ankle.

clutchhog

Gents....please bear with me ...i grew up in the shadows of Razorback stadium..started selling popcorn there at the games when i was 10 years old..watched every Razorback home game from 1966 until i graduated from Fayetteville high in 74...had an older brother who was a Razorback...i played 4 years at UCA....so i guess I qualify as well as anyone else as a true  Arkansas homeboy Razorback...i don't write here  ..but i do read with interest....i left Arkansas for 17 years..not because i wanted  to....but because i was serving my state and my country as a fighter pilot in the US Marine Corps...during my tour in and out of combat...I  lost 11 of my squadron mates..fellow pilots with wifes and families like yours and mine...when i returned to Arkansas,,i flew F-16s for 8 more years in the Air National Guard at FT. Smith...i retired 3 years ago...and continue to fly for Fedex...thanks deeply...to all ya'll who remember our servicemen and women of today....and  those of yesterday and those of yesteryear....of all the services..all our wars and battles. I'd appreciate ya'll taking the time to read the following.....and I'll go back to just reading and enjoying this board... It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,who has given us freedom of religion,  It is the VETERAN, not the reporter who has given us freedom of the press, It is the VETERAN, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech, It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer who given us freedom to assemble, It is the VETERAN,not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial, It is the VETERAN, not the politician, Who has given us the right to vote, it is the VETERAN, who salutes the flag,who serves under OUR flag, and whose coffin is draped by OUR flag, who has given his very life for US...to enjoy OUR freedom..and priviledge to live here in the greatest Country ever to exist in human history..ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.  SEMPER FI,   Clutchhog

Noonan

Just out of curiosity, I checked the 5 major TV news outlets websites to see if it was mentioned.  2 didn't, 3 did.  Interestingly enough, CNN managed to overlook Pearl Harbor Day yet run a 25 year tribute to the Commodore 64 instead.

Something about those not remembering their history being doomed to repeat it springs to mind.....

Here's to all those who have served and are serving our country, whenever or wherever it may be - Thank You.

El Puerco Grande

Great post, clutch. I just wish some of the stinking liberal, democrat, anti-war, pinko, commie scum in this fine nation of ours could appreciate it.
How 'bout them hogs?

Hog inAustin

Thank you for remembering.  Surprisingly, the Austin-American Statesman had it front page...God Bless America.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Noonan on December 07, 2007, 05:33:11 pm

Something about those not remembering their history being doomed to repeat it springs to mind.....

I agree with the quote above.  And everytime I hear that quote, I think of how it applies to the following:

The Bush Administration
Vietnam
Iraq

As for Pearl Harbor, I will reiterate that I think it is one of the most important historical events in US history and every American should be well educated on the details surrounding it.

But I just don't understand the outrage when a newspaper that is in the business of reporting on current events doesn't write a new story on an event that happened 66 years ago.

It is OUR responsibility to educate our kids about important historical events.  It is ADG's job to tell us about what new events have happened in the last 24 hours.

BroyledNutts

December 07, 2007, 05:47:07 pm #40 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:48:54 pm by BroyledNutts
Porkpariah, take a second and remember ~

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

~ Franklin D. Roosevelt, during his address to the nation, on December 8, 1941...

Hear the speech for yourselves at:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrpearlharbor.htm

The men who died today made it possible for the DemGaz to remain a paper published in a free country to this very day...That's why they should at least acknowledge this day's importance...

Just wanted to stop for a moment today and remember what's really important; those lost and those who survived the attacks on Pearl Harbor today...

If any of you had any family members who were there that day my thoughts, prayers, and unending gratitude are with you today....

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hog inAustin on December 07, 2007, 05:36:17 pm
Thank you for remembering.  Surprisingly, the Austin-American Statesman had it front page...God Bless America.

Why is that surprising?

Is the AAS run by Japanese Imperialists?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 07, 2007, 05:47:07 pm
Porkpariah, take a second and remember ~

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

~ Franklin D. Roosevelt, during his address to the nation, on December 8, 1941...

Hear the speech for yourselves at:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/fdrpearlharbor.htm

The men who died today made it possible for the DemGaz to remain a paper published in a free country to this very day...That's why they should at least acknowledge this day's importance...

Just wanted to stop for a moment today and remember what's really important; those lost and those who survived the attacks on Pearl Harbor today...

If any of you had any family members who were there that day my thoughts, prayers, and unending gratitude are with you today....

Okay, I'm all for paying tribute to Veterans of all wars and all battles - not just Pearl Harbor.

But if the ADG was REQUIRED to constantly run retrospective stories about Veterans who helped preserve our freedoms, then they would have to stop reporting the news since the calendar would be filled 365 days a year with tributes to Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Battle of the Bulge, Midway, etc, etc....

And that's just a few battles from one war...

So it's kinda silly to get upset at a newspaper over something like this.

El Puerco Grande

I agree with you, Pork. Pearl Harbour was the 2nd biggest loss of life single event in our nations history, second only to 9/11. The fact that it was so many years ago, before 90% of were born,  makes it's impact a little less severe. When I was living in Hawaii it was a much more talked about aniversary, of course. We should remember ALL of our fallen servicemen.
How 'bout them hogs?

MuskogeeHogFan

December 07, 2007, 06:15:24 pm #44 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:24:21 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

Are you kidding? I sure hope you are. And to follow up on your further comments, Pearl Harbor Day is fairly significant. I have read your posts before and I know you are intelligent. So I know you know the difference between an unprovoked attack on our country and the results of other significant battles that occured as a result of it, later in the war. The point is rememberance. All veterans should be remembered, I totally agree. But the Pearl Harbor sneak attack is an event that should always be remembered. I served and I was a part of the Vietnam era generation, but the U.S. chose to enter Vietnam and Korea as well as the Middle East. Pearl Harbor Day is fairly special and significant for the reasons I stated previously. I don't expect anyone to want to remember Vietnam. But I will always remember the sacrifices that my Father's generation made to insure that we had the choice to enjoy many of freedoms that so many of us today seem to take for granted. That was the difference between that particular war and many others.

There are very few WWII veterans remaining and every day, there are fewer. If you know any, please don't hesitate to thank these good people for their sacrifice and service for our country. Soon, they will all be gone and all we will have left is the rememberances of these events that shaped the history of our country and the world.
Go Hogs Go!

JShipCPA

God Bless our Troops... 

Thank you for all that you do for your country...

clutchhog

Muskogee HogFan..i want to share with you a short true story....only a few months ago, i was on the Atlanta airport shuttle at the Atlanta airport...inbetween flights....next to me..there was an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair...his wife standing next to him....he had a baseball hat on with the words USS Hornet inscribed on it....i imagine you know the history of the USS Hornet during WW 2..his wife told me he was recovering from brain surgery and was still somewhat disoriented.
I reached over and took his hand, shook it firmly and heartfully thanked him for his bravery and service to our country. He smiled and weakly and humbly thanked me. His wife saw my Marine Corps ring( I was in my pilot uniform),and asked me about my service and i briefly explained my service experience. She thanked me...just then, two very young looking men stepped through the crowded shuttle towards me...they were both in Army desert cammies..at the same time they reached for the elderly gentlemans' hand as well as mine and thanked us both for our service. I was somewhat embarrassed..my son in law was a Marine and saw action in the Battle of Falujah in Iraq..i knew first hand the difficult combat that these men had seen and lived through...i said thank you,but the honor is mine...and i said thank ya'll for your bravery and sacrifices that ya'll have made for our country ...as if on que...dozens of people who had been watching this unfold stepped forward and starting with the elderly gentleman began thanking him, me and the two young soldiers...as i left that shuttle i thought of my close friends who had given the ultimate sacrifice...i seldom dwell on these things.and i must say i had a hard time keeping the tears from showing as i was going up the escalator,,,,there are many Americans who still realize that Freedom isn't Free....and as we speak, especially today, DEC 7th, thank God for those throughout our history who so selflessly gave their lives so that we might enjoy ours....thanks again to all who take time to say thanks....it means alot...semper fi, clutchhog

Wayne Watson

Used to have a boss who had a Japanese wife.  She thought we were dumb and lazy.
My response was.....

Built in America by dumb, lazy Americans.  Field tested in Japan.

God Bless America and the men and women who serve our nation.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: clutchhog on December 07, 2007, 07:08:42 pm
Muskogee HogFan..i want to share with you a short true story....only a few months ago, i was on the Atlanta airport shuttle at the Atlanta airport...inbetween flights....next to me..there was an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair...his wife standing next to him....he had a baseball hat on with the words USS Hornet inscribed on it....i imagine you know the history of the USS Hornet during WW 2..his wife told me he was recovering from brain surgery and was still somewhat disoriented.
I reached over and took his hand, shook it firmly and heartfully thanked him for his bravery and service to our country. He smiled and weakly and humbly thanked me. His wife saw my Marine Corps ring( I was in my pilot uniform),and asked me about my service and i briefly explained my service experience. She thanked me...just then, two very young looking men stepped through the crowded shuttle towards me...they were both in Army desert cammies..at the same time they reached for the elderly gentlemans' hand as well as mine and thanked us both for our service. I was somewhat embarrassed..my son in law was a Marine and saw action in the Battle of Falujah in Iraq..i knew first hand the difficult combat that these men had seen and lived through...i said thank you,but the honor is mine...and i said thank ya'll for your bravery and sacrifices that ya'll have made for our country ...as if on que...dozens of people who had been watching this unfold stepped forward and starting with the elderly gentleman began thanking him, me and the two young soldiers...as i left that shuttle i thought of my close friends who had given the ultimate sacrifice...i seldom dwell on these things.and i must say i had a hard time keeping the tears from showing as i was going up the escalator,,,,there are many Americans who still realize that Freedom isn't Free....and as we speak, especially today, DEC 7th, thank God for those throughout our history who so selflessly gave their lives so that we might enjoy ours....thanks again to all who take time to say thanks....it means alot...semper fi, clutchhog

Amen brother........thanks for sharing that story and thank YOU, for YOUR service to the country I love.
Go Hogs Go!

94 Hawg

Thanks for the reminder, and a humble THANK YOU to all our vets past & present.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers