Apocolypse Now
3 (4.7%)
The Big Red One
4 (6.3%)
Platoon
7 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Brand X Hog Fan

I know there are many more good ones but these represent several eras and styles. Thought I would post it in "Vets" to ask the experts and lighten the thread up a bit. My favorite is Glory.

Thanks vets and all you currently serving.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

July 10, 2007, 08:47:38 pm #1 Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:27:46 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: CabotHog on July 10, 2007, 08:03:50 pm
I picked the Patriot, but it's been forever since I've seen any of those. I just watched Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima last week. Great movies.

I need to watch Letters from Iwo Jima. I enjoyed Flags of our Fathers as well. The guy that played the Indian is a great actor. He stars in the HBO movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" and does a wonderful job there too.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

LSUFan

BlackKnightHogFan

Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

SquirrelMasterFunk

Patton.

George C. Scott is General Patton reincarnate.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

Brand X Hog Fan

Come on guys . . . Glory was awesome! ;)

These movies are all some of my favorites so I can agree with everyone!

hydrophonic

Of the movies on the list, I like Apocalypse Now the best.  That is, it disturbs me the most.

My favorite war themed movie is probably The Battle of Algiers.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

jwdento3

Patton:  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

What can I say...I'm a fan of simplicity.
"From the start/ She knew she had it made/ Easy up 'til then/ For sure she'd make the grade/ Adorers came in hordes/ To lay down in her wake/ Gave it all she had/ But treasures slowly fade.

Now she's falling hard/ Feels the fall of dark/ How did this fall apart?/ She drinks to fill it up/ A smile of sweetest flowers/ Wilted so and soured/ Black tears stain the cheeks/ That once were so admired.

She thinks when she was small/ There on her father's knee/ How he had promised her,/ "You'll always be my baby."

"Daddy come quick,/ The dreaming tree has died/ I can't find my way home/ There is no place to hide/ The dreaming tree has died."

Tmac813

Glory is arguably one of the greatest military movies ever done.  It was based on actual events.  The letters read in the movie are from the National Archives.  Written by Colonel Robert Gould Shaw.  The battle sequences were as close to real as it gets.  You guys should check out the book "One Gallant Rush"  that give actual accounts of the troops assault on I think it's fort Wagner(South Carolina) don't quote me on that.  Anyways, I gave honorable mention to Platoon, and Apocalypse Now(Martin and Charlie Sheen played key parts in each one of those movies).

cubsfan5150

If Band of Brothers qualifies, that is hands down the best production that any television screen has ever seen.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on July 15, 2007, 04:12:07 pm
If Band of Brothers qualifies, that is hands down the best production that any television screen has ever seen.

Band of Brothers was awesome, especially the episode about the Battle of the Bulge and the Ardennes. My son would agree with your heralding it the best TV production. I would argue that Lonesome Dove beats it.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on July 15, 2007, 06:07:17 pm

Band of Brothers was awesome, especially the episode about the Battle of the Bulge and the Ardennes. My son would agree with your heralding it the best TV production. I would argue that Lonesome Dove beats it.

And I would argue that you must be considerably older than I am.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Brand X Hog Fan

July 16, 2007, 06:43:19 pm #13 Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:46:09 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: cubsfan5150 on July 16, 2007, 10:49:42 am
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on July 15, 2007, 06:07:17 pm

And I would argue that you must be considerably older than I am.

Daaaaaaaang! :D Watch it sonnyboy! I'll whack you with my cane! +1!

Oh, and by the way, I guess being a Cubs fan you've learned to settle for little less than the best. Hey now, I can talk . . . check out my moniker before you smite me.

Albert Einswine

Patton is great!  The opening 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is epic and then it tails off, save for a few gripping scenes.

I haven't seen the film since the mid '80s, but the Big Red One was a favorite.  I bet I saw it a dozen times.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

mike7156

Off the list posted I have to go with the longest day. I enjoy the classics the most. I like the Big Red One a lot and Patton was number two for me. My all time favorite war movie is Midway, Good movie plus star power. Then it would have to be just about any John Wayne war movie. Almost forgot the dirty dozen also.
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

RedSatinHog

How in the world Full Metal Jacket isn't on a voting list for favorite all-time war movies is beyond me.  That was possibly the most-watched war movie ever.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

riccoar

Saving Private Ryan of those on the list.  Haven't seen Flags of our Fathers yet.  I just finished the book, excellent read.  Gave a lot of insight into what my grandfather saw and indured.

dman

I saw Patton the day after I got out of basic at Lackland; I was ready to kick a@# and take names. 

Conway Cool Daddy

Not mentioned :

Sands of Iwo Jima

Gettysburg

Kelly's Heroes

Memphis Belle

30 seconds over Tokyo

Tora, Tora, Tora

Green Berets

There was a great one with Jimmy Cagney that I can't remember to save my life. (WWi era)

mrcrowley

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 20, 2007, 03:47:01 pm
Not mentioned :

Sands of Iwo Jima

Gettysburg

Kelly's Heroes

Memphis Belle

30 seconds over Tokyo

Tora, Tora, Tora

Green Berets

There was a great one with Jimmy Cagney that I can't remember to save my life. (WWi era)

Cagney was in Mr.Roberts with Henry Fonda.

The Sands of Iwo Jima was mentioned a few posts ago.

Crimson Tide was a good one

fritolayhog

A Bridge Too Far

Bridge Over the River Qwai.

Midway.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: mrcrowley on July 20, 2007, 05:24:44 pm
Not mentioned :

Sands of Iwo Jima

Gettysburg

Kelly's Heroes

Memphis Belle

30 seconds over Tokyo

Tora, Tora, Tora

Green Berets

Cagney was in Mr.Roberts with Henry Fonda.

The Sands of Iwo Jima was mentioned a few posts ago.

Crimson Tide was a good one

The Cagney movie was " The Fighting 69th"
I had to go look the darn thing up.

msudawgs64

Quote from: LSUFan on July 10, 2007, 09:01:14 pm
Patton, hands down.

agreed.

I finally watched the entire series of Band of Brothers this weekend.  I kept hinting to the wife I really wanted it but apparently that went unheeded.  If you have not seen this, pick it up, sit back and watch all 10 episodes and the special features interviews.  Well worth it.

I am partial to movies based on WWII but I also like some Vietnam era movies, really liked We Were Soldiers.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

hilljack

I'm gonna have to change my vote to the new Transformers movie for the 15 seconds of AWACS fame.

Brand X Hog Fan

Not mentioned :

Sands of Iwo Jima

Gettysburg

Kelly's Heroes

Memphis Belle

30 seconds over Tokyo

Tora, Tora, Tora

Green Berets

Good ones all but if Gettysburg is on the list then Gods and Generals needs to be there as well. Robert Duvall is great in that movie. Anyone know if Last Full Measure is on Ted Turner's "to do" list?

AirForceHog

Glory is probably one of my all time favorites.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Kodiak

August 02, 2007, 09:48:01 pm #27 Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:57:46 pm by Kodiak
Bridge to Far & In Harms Way! Oh yea!  We were soldiers.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

ThisLittlePiggie

Battleground

Bridges at Toko Ri

The Great Escape

Stalag 17

To Hell and Back

Run Silent Run Deep

Where Eagles Dare

The Guns of Navarone

The Victors

The Train

Sergeant York

A Midnight Clear

The Dirty Dozen

Das Boot (The Boat)

LyonHog

I went with Saving Private Ryan because it showed the events that the soldiers faced but also showed how the veterens were attempting to cope with seeing the graves of those who gave their lives to save that one soldier.  The last scene is heart wrenching

PulledPork

I think I was most impacted by Full Metal Jacket but Hamburger Hill was good, as was We Were Soldiers

oh, and I almost forgot Firebase Gloria

Pulled out...

Hawg_Heaven

I agree.....I would put it above all the war movies I have seen.

I also agree with whoever posted Full Metal Jacket. That would have taken my vote for movies.

PulledPork

although no real military scenes in it, I liked Taps.

Prolly the  first war movie I ever saw was The Longest Day with John Wayne.

Pulled out...

bnepro

we were soldiers.
hands-down the closest representation i've
ever seen (or probably put on film) of that
moment of utter panic when you are hugging
the ground as close as you can not knowing
who/what/where/when the enemy is or how
in the hell you might shoot them w/o getting
blown away.
'we've been waiting for you...'

BigDPiggie

Patton. It might not be the most exciting war movie ever made and it's as much drama as it is action, but, based on what I know, it's pretty close to the truth. It fleshed out Patton to a tee and George C. Scott delivered on of the top 5 performances in movie history. For the extreme opposite (and a good laugh), watch "The Last Days of Patton". If Band of Brothers were a movie, it would be a close second.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

BigDPiggie

The Big Red One is an underrated war movie that most may not be familiar with.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: LyonHog on August 26, 2007, 12:53:40 pm
I went with Saving Private Ryan because it showed the events that the soldiers faced but also showed how the veterens were attempting to cope with seeing the graves of those who gave their lives to save that one soldier.  The last scene is heart wrenching

I remember sitting in the theater at that last scene trying to hide my tears from my son and my wife. I also remember a deep hatred for skinheads and neonazis coming over me. Absolutely gripping. I don't think I moved from my seat until way into the credits.

PulledPork

agreed!  the cemetary scene was emotional! I also got a big lump in my throat during the slow-mo scenes when they were trying to blow the bridge at the end.
oh, how could I forget the beach scene....I was truly glad that I never had to personally endure that and honor anyone who did.

Pulled out...

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: MysticHog on September 11, 2007, 12:49:27 pm
Shooter

Just saw it the other night. Great movie! Probably Ned Beatty's best performance since Deliverance.

RazorWire™

clifflee4mvp

Well I like Full Metal Jacket and Enemy at the Gates. Also Saving Private Ryan. I am a sucker for Snipers! Although the Movie "Sniper" sucked. Shooter was a good movie but I wouldn't consider it a war movie. Any John Wayne war movie is worth watching. Patton was great, Apocolypse Now was great (I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.) I love war movies. Jarhead was weak, Good Morning Vietnam was amazing and should've been on the list.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Conway Cool Daddy

I was watching Sands of Iwo Jima the other day and I noticed there were some guys who were just awful when it came to acting.
I read up on it and found out that since the movie was shot a few years after WWII a ton of actual Iwo vets
were used in the shooting. The Lt who leads the patrol in the movie was the actual guy who did it in real life. They even gave him a speaking role.
Ira Hayes and a couple of other of the second group of flag raisers were in the final scene in which the flag is raised on Mt Suribachi.

hydrophonic

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on September 13, 2007, 03:30:31 pm
I read up on it and found out that since the movie was shot a few years after WWII a ton of actual Iwo vets
were used in the shooting.

The same thing is done in "The Battle of Algiers", with devastating results.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

64hogs

Hamburger Hill is one of my favorites. But I would have to go with Full Metal Jaket as my all time favorite.

Kodiak

Thanks guys!  This has reminded me of some GREAT movies. :)
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

The NewEra

I'm a huge fan of movies based on real life characters.  As others have mentioned here "We Were Soldiers" is a must see, based on actual events.

Two others that also fall into this category, "BAT 21" and "A Bright Shining Lie", are must see movies.

You can add "Sergeant York" to my list of all time favorites.

PulledPork

The Fighting Sullivans was the original "Saving Private Ryan"...good movie.

Pulled out...

Jowls

Very little "war" type action, but I was always fond of Heartbreak Ridge.
I.D.I.C.

LyonHog

Quote from: Jowls on October 23, 2007, 05:20:12 pm
Very little "war" type action, but I was always fond of Heartbreak Ridge.

Coach Kelly made us watch that movie my freshman year.  Mainly for the philosophy of "ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!"
I wish i had the same fondness