Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe not KENTUCKY, but at least Ohio State...

Started by hogluv, January 05, 2010, 06:37:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogluv

For all you people who quickly remind us we are NOT KENTUCKY, then let us learn from Ohio State. In the early 90's they were pretty competitive with Jimmy Jackson. They hire Thad Matta and are very competitive with Excellent recruiting classes. It is all about the coach. Fans do not have to win like KENTUCKY but we would like to be competitive.

All you people whe scream we cannot be compared to KENTUCKY is Ohio State ok to want to be like or would you like us to continue to strive to be like NJIT (the worst team)?

thirtythree

Quote from: hogluv on January 05, 2010, 06:37:06 am
For all you people who quickly remind us we are NOT KENTUCKY, then let us learn from Ohio State. In the early 90's they were pretty competitive with Jimmy Jackson. They hire Thad Matta and are very competitive with Excellent recruiting classes. It is all about the coach. Fans do not have to win like KENTUCKY but we would like to be competitive.

All you people whe scream we cannot be compared to KENTUCKY is Ohio State ok to want to be like or would you like us to continue to strive to be like NJIT (the worst team)?

What I would like is for people to quit freaking griping and complaining, but that's not going to happen.

We are Arkansas. We are not anybody else and should not be compared to anybody else. PERIOD!

tomahawkhog

Quote from: thirtythree on January 05, 2010, 06:50:46 am
What I would like is for people to quit freaking griping and complaining, but that's not going to happen.

We are Arkansas. We are not anybody else and should not be compared to anybody else. PERIOD!

You're right and ARKANSAS has the worst record in the SEC the past year.
Go Hogs!

thirtythree

Quote from: tomahawkhog on January 05, 2010, 07:33:01 am
You're right and ARKANSAS has the worst record in the SEC the past year.

Yes we did. I am so glad this is a different year and we have a chance to correct that. Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't.

3kgthog

On tradition, obviously UK whips us. However, we proved in the 90's that a good coach can get us equal to or better than them on the court. It could happen again if we had the same commitment to basketball that we have for football. This means you, Jeff Long.

RedSatinHog

January 05, 2010, 08:21:52 am #5 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:26:01 am by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: hogluv on January 05, 2010, 06:37:06 am
For all you people who quickly remind us we are NOT KENTUCKY, then let us learn from Ohio State. In the early 90's they were pretty competitive with Jimmy Jackson. They hire Thad Matta and are very competitive with Excellent recruiting classes.

Thad Matta did not just turn OSU around on his own.  Jim Obrien's accomplishments at OSU for years before Matta's arrival in 2005 are skewed in the fact that nearly 4 full seasons of wins were vacated by the NCAA, accounting for roughly 103 wins during that same timeframe.  The groundwork he laid for that program made it relavant to begin with.  Obrien even took that team to the Final Four.

Matta's a solid coach, and I'm not arguing that one with you.  What I am disputing is the perception you're passing off that Matta took over a team which hadn't done squat for roughly 15+ years before his arrival in Columbus.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.   
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

The Boar War

There is just as much nonsensical excuse making for Pelphrey as there is overreaction, griping, and complaining from the opposite side.

When we try to compare the current Arkansas team to our own history we are told that it was fifteen to twenty years ago and therefore impossible to recreate.

thirtythree

Quote from: The Boar War on January 05, 2010, 08:25:05 am
There is just as much nonsensical excuse making for Pelphrey as there is overreaction, griping, and complaining from the opposite side.

When we try to compare the current Arkansas team to our own history we are told that it was fifteen to twenty years ago and therefore impossible to recreate.

What I have seen are discussions about the basketball team only to have it hijacked with the same crap over and over again. It's getting old. Just because some people in here aren't as miserable as others doesn't mean everyone has to be miserable.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: thirtythree on January 05, 2010, 08:50:04 am
What I have seen are discussions about the basketball team only to have it hijacked with the same crap over and over again. It's getting old. Just because some people in here aren't as miserable as others doesn't mean everyone has to be miserable.

And just because a very few folks are content and satisfied with the subpar play we're getting in year #3 of a coaching term and with losing to low mid major schools at home doesn't mean the rest of us have to be, either.

Porkatarian

It appears that Pel is going to be our coach next season.  Jeff Long has no interest in making a coaching change.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on January 05, 2010, 08:56:27 am
And just because a very few folks are content and satisfied with the subpar play we're getting in year #3 of a coaching term and with losing to low mid major schools at home doesn't mean the rest of us have to be, either.
wait a minute, the Pel's Pals club will tell you that each year he stays is, in fact, actually subtraction by addition....in other words, they believe the more time he stays, the more time he needs to build a program....I know, this sounds like quantum physics, but its the only way the Pel's Pals club can survive....sorta like the "BIG LIE" theory
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 05, 2010, 08:59:28 am
It appears that Pel is going to be our coach next season.  Jeff Long has no interest in making a coaching change.

Porkatarian out...
well the Fuhrer of the Pel's Pals club apparently has spoken....we keep the good ol' boy cuz we ain't got NO MO money to pay a decent corch....Jeff Long must feel very secure in his position....if I were a yankee, I don't know if I'd ever feel that secure
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 05, 2010, 09:02:23 am
wait a minute, the Pel's Pals club will tell you that each year he stays is, in fact, actually subtraction by addition....in other words, they believe the more time he stays, the more time he needs to build a program....I know, this sounds like quantum physics, but its the only way the Pel's Pals club can survive....sorta like the "BIG LIE" theory

I like Pel, but he ain't the man for the job. 

He's in over his head, and his token suspensions in year #3 mean little at this point.  He should have been doing it from day #1.  Perhaps people would have accepted that it meant something. 

If he had gotten rid of Stefan Welsh in year #1, few people would have complained, and he wouldn't have found himself stuck with the thuggery he's been forced to deal with since.

The Boar War

Quote from: thirtythree on January 05, 2010, 08:50:04 am

Who hijacked this thread? 

arcowboy

Quote from: thirtythree on January 05, 2010, 07:37:01 am
Yes we did. I am so glad this is a different year and we have a chance to correct that. Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't.

I think that we can pretty well be sure that it isn't going to happen.   I can also assure you that the money people are tired of the present situation.  Pelphry has lost all of the support from the financial base of boosters and something is going to be done at the end of the season unless there is a good record in the conference.   

thirtythree

Porkatarian out...

I believe you. I wish these other people would too. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do (because of the expectations I have laid out as far as my support goes) but it does seem apparent that is the case from everything you have said.

thirtythree

Breems

I'm on the money!
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />