Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If JL is....

Started by rude1, January 04, 2010, 11:47:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

the one controlling the suspensions of players on the basketball team. Does this in fact say we have another meddler as AD. If nothing else, could this be an obstacle when replacing Pelphrey if it is viewed that JL meddled and set Pelphrey up for failure with the suspensions?

I am of the opinion that the AD supports his coaches and not meddle. If Pelphrey isn't being heavy handed enough or isn't controlling the program to your satisfaction, you give him your input. If nothing changes, you change the coach.

We saw what happened when PawPaw meddled with Hootie and made him hire a coordinator he didn't want. It made Hootie vengeful and out to sabotage the shotgun marriage.

jst01

I think Long & Pel knows 100% of everything going on with the program. I think Long is making some of the hard decisions for the schools best interest, maybe not the 2009 basketball teams best interest. just my opinion of course

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:47:55 am
the one controlling the suspensions of players on the basketball team. Does this in fact say we have another meddler as AD. If nothing else, could this be an obstacle when replacing Pelphrey if it is viewed that JL meddled and set Pelphrey up for failure with the suspensions?

I am of the opinion that the AD supports his coaches and not meddle. If Pelphrey isn't being heavy handed enough or isn't controlling the program to your satisfaction, you give him your input. If nothing changes, you change the coach.

We saw what happened when PawPaw meddled with Hootie and made him hire a coordinator he didn't want. It made Hootie vengeful and out to sabotage the shotgun marriage.

Bingo right there. That's why I say getting rid of CJP, even after this season, would be a PR nightmare. You don't think CJP will come out and say what happened? If he was to gain any kind of credibility for why things were as bad as they were he would have to come out and say something.

Porkatarian

When Pel was just going to suspend certain players for the preseason exhibition games and overlook things all together that certain other players have done, Jeff Long and John Fagg had no choice but to step in and take over the suspensions.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

MakeMeOink

Long is involved ONLY because Pel COULDN'T/WOULDN'T get CF under control.  Pel refused to kick him off the team, or seriously punish him.  Pel had an unexplainable double standard for CF and EVERYONE else.  If we KNEW the truth about all the crap that CF got away with UNTIL Long got involved even the few blindly loyal Pel Huggers might abandon him.  Pork and Clayco know - it is up to them and the Administrators if they ever divulge it.

rude1

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 04, 2010, 11:55:51 am
When Pel was just going to suspend certain players for the preseason exhibition games and overlook things all together that certain other players have done, Jeff Long and John Fagg had no choice but to step in and take over the suspensions.

Porkatarian out...
Why did they find the suspensions that Pelphrey had in mind unacceptable?  It does concern me, anytime an AD takes control of the situation. Top guys aren't going to work for an AD that's going to jump in and over rule them.

rude1

Quote from: thirtythree on January 04, 2010, 11:51:16 am
Bingo right there. That's why I say getting rid of CJP, even after this season, would be a PR nightmare. You don't think CJP will come out and say what happened? If he was to gain any kind of credibility for why things were as bad as they were he would have to come out and say something.
I thought about it thirtythree and there is some legitimacy to that IMO. I believe Pelphrey would fail on his own, no matter what. But when the AD gets involved, and pretty much dictates that the coach can't play with a full deck, then he fails. It leaves the impression that the AD set the coach up for failure, and getting rid of him would give the coach a justified reason to complain.

Porkatarian

There are atleast 2 bigtime coaches who would love to work for our AD.

Don't mistake Long trying to help out our likable young coach as Broyles-like meddling.  Pelphrey is well liked in the BAC.  He's a great guy, who's not getting the job done on several fronts.

Porkatarian out...

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:59:38 am
Why did they find the suspensions that Pelphrey had in mind unacceptable?  It does concern me, anytime an AD takes control of the situation. Top guys aren't going to work for an AD that's going to jump in and over rule them.

This is something i would also like to know. I don't disagree with what is being done with CF.

My deal is the 3 players that were suspended for the incident at the party. I do think something should have happened to them for placing themselves in a situation to have that light shed. However, there still aren't any charges and it seems they "actually" did nothing wrong. Why suspend them for the tim frame they were is what I don't understand. As far as SW goes, I don't know enough about the situation and what he did to make a comment on his suspension.

WhenPigsFly

Porkatarian out...

I wondered WTH was going on when Fortson played in the first exhibition game, but hasn't been heard from since.  Why would you play a guy who wasn't going to play in games until who knows when?

This would explain it.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 04, 2010, 12:09:46 pm

Don't mistake Long trying to help out our likable young coach as Broyles-like meddling.  Pelphrey is well liked in the BAC.  He's a great guy, who's not getting the job done on several fronts.

Porkatarian out...
We all know Anderson is one of the two. Can you throw a brotha a hint as to who the other guy is?

tomahawkhog

It's also strange why CF hasn't been seen around the team other than practice.  I don't expect to see him in a Razorback uniform again. 
Go Hogs!

heathtits

Porkatarian out...

Pork I like you and what you bring here but how does that support your notion of John Pelphrey being a good guy? Sounds like he plays favorites, doesn't care about major mess ups if you're a key player and isn't consistent across the board with discipline.

Sound familiar?

heathtits

Quote from: WMHawgfan on January 04, 2010, 01:45:11 pm
We all know Anderson is one of the two. Can you throw a brotha a hint as to who the other guy is?

In another thread, some prominent posters have said Scott Drew.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: heathtits on January 04, 2010, 02:12:07 pm

In another thread, some prominent posters have said Scott Drew.
Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind Drew but he scares me a bit. He works in the grey area in recruiting and it seems like its just a matter of time before we would see ncaa sanctions. Been at Baylor for 7 years though and nothing yet so I may be wrong.

stan the man

If Fortson is not coming back than why is he practicing with the team.

rude1

Quote from: MakeMeOink on January 04, 2010, 11:57:29 am
Long is involved ONLY because Pel COULDN'T/WOULDN'T get CF under control.  Pel refused to kick him off the team, or seriously punish him.  Pel had an unexplainable double standard for CF and EVERYONE else.  If we KNEW the truth about all the crap that CF got away with UNTIL Long got involved even the few blindly loyal Pel Huggers might abandon him.  Pork and Clayco know - it is up to them and the Administrators if they ever divulge it.
This is what I am saying. If this is true, rather than involving himself in the basketball program, he should change coaches. It does not help in trying to get a proven coach with an AD that wants to run the basketball program.

elksnort

Quote from: WMHawgfan on January 04, 2010, 02:33:22 pm
Cool, thanks. I wouldn't mind Drew but he scares me a bit. He works in the grey area in recruiting and it seems like its just a matter of time before we would see ncaa sanctions. Been at Baylor for 7 years though and nothing yet so I may be wrong.
Unfortunately, this "grey" area maybe the only way to get the players needed to win now days.

Lando Calrissian

If Jeff Long wanted to FIRE John Pelphery he would reinstate Courtney Fortson.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Razorod

one does wonder if not reinstating fortson is long's way of justifying one more season for pel.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on January 04, 2010, 06:45:51 pm
one does wonder if not reinstating fortson is long's way of justifying one more season for pel.
Maybe it's the ole PawPaw and Hootie situation all over again. JL has himself a coach he can step in and meddle with anytime he wants. Hard to let those kind of yes men go.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 06:50:59 pm
Maybe it's the ole PawPaw and Hootie situation all over again. JL has himself a coach he can step in and meddle with anytime he wants. Hard to let those kind of yes men go.

No.  Bad analogy.

Jeff Long is in no way joined at the hip with Pelphery.  Err, at least in a buddy-buddy sort of sense.

He's stuck with him, yes, but not for selfish reasons.  He simply can't afford to fire him right now.  When he can, Fortson will be reinstated.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

farmhawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:47:55 am

Someone has to have some control over this team. It is very obvious pel has no idea how.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 06:12:48 pm
This is what I am saying. If this is true, rather than involving himself in the basketball program, he should change coaches. It does not help in trying to get a proven coach with an AD that wants to run the basketball program.

May not agree with you often, but this is one that doesn't make a lot of sense if true. Pel should have control over the team, and if Long doesn't agree with the way he handles the situation, then make a change.

Porkatarian

Unless something changes, Pelphrey will be our coach next season.

Porkatarian out...

Kevin Bacon

Porkatarian out...

Would you somewhat agree that Long and crew are "helping" Pel be the D-1 coach he is supposed to be?

netteltonhog

Unless a big change occurs,  I will be very suprised if Pel makes it past the SEC tourney. Needs several wins to keep people buying tickets.

Pork,

That was a bucket of cold water on this thread.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Karma on January 04, 2010, 09:29:57 pm
Pork,

That was a bucket of cold water on this thread.

Trust me.  Jeff Long doesn't share our concern for the basketball program.  Of course, he has his own challenges to worry about.

Porkatarian out...

Toad Suck Pork

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 04, 2010, 09:32:43 pm
Trust me.  Jeff Long doesn't share our concern for the basketball program.  Of course, he has his own challenges to worry about.

Porkatarian out...

Pork,
Based on your knowledge, what is your take on what Jeff Long considers acceptable, worthwhile goals for a basketball program?

Is it:
a) status-quo, 4-5th place in the SEC west.  A somewhat perennial also-ran
b) an average tournament appearance every other year, whether it be NIT or NCAA
c) a team that expects to make the NCAA tournament every year, but is only expected to make it to the 2nd round or sweet 16
d) a team included among the elite, making the NCAA every year and having a realistic shot at a final four every couple of years

The Boar War

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 04, 2010, 09:07:22 pm
Unless something changes, Pelphrey will be our coach next season.

Porkatarian out...

Well I guess we better start winning.

1HourToHogville

This mess was not created overnight by Pel.  Pel inherited it and hasn't been able to clean it up own his own so far. JL knows it will take some time to clean it up on and off the court and will support Pel.  Wins will come afterwards or changes will be made at that time.

The medicine tastes nasty but it's necessary to take.

netteltonhog

The excuse that Pel didn't create this mess is bull____!  Pels 1st class is 0 for 3. 2 class is 1 for 5. Just how many of this last class will even be back?  History says not many

thirtythree

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 05, 2010, 06:10:33 am
The excuse that Pel didn't create this mess is bull____!  Pels 1st class is 0 for 3. 2 class is 1 for 5. Just how many of this last class will even be back?  History says not many

Where was CJP at 5 years ago? Where was he 14 years ago? He didn't create it. He has helped in it, but he didn't create it.

Cresthog

Quote from: MakeMeOink on January 04, 2010, 11:57:29 am

I know the truth. CF is straight up thug along with Welsh. At least Henry is gone. Those 3 together were a ticking time bomb. Just a matter of time before they went UT on someone at the EZ Mart on 6th street.......oh wait

RedSatinHog

Quote from: thirtythree on January 05, 2010, 06:53:57 am
Where was CJP at 5 years ago? Where was he 14 years ago? He didn't create it. He has helped in it, but he didn't create it.

He's willingly continued with it.  That is HIS fault, no matter how it's spun to look otherwise.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Porkatarian

Quote from: Cresthog on January 05, 2010, 07:09:47 am
Just a matter of time before they went UT on someone at the EZ Mart on 6th street.......oh wait

8) :-\ ;) 8) ;D

Porkatarian out...

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thirtythree on January 04, 2010, 11:51:16 am
so we are being held hostage by our own coach..LMAO...oh the irony....and you are the biggest backer of Pelphrey in this forum even though you believe in your mind that Pelphrey would sell the UA out if he was let go....well that pretty much tells me that you value Pelphrey over the UA....what a fan you are
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

want2be

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 04, 2010, 09:32:43 pm

Porkatarian out...

If the many of the major doners voice concerns about the bball program with Jeff, I would think there would be more heat in the kitchen.

With suspensions, Washington's back, Sanchez's feet, etc., maybe Pel has bought himself at least another year no matter what happens. In addition he has a good recruiting class coming in next year.

thirtythree

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 05, 2010, 09:10:46 am
so we are being held hostage by our own coach..LMAO...oh the irony....and you are the biggest backer of Pelphrey in this forum even though you believe in your mind that Pelphrey would sell the UA out if he was let go....well that pretty much tells me that you value Pelphrey over the UA....what a fan you are

Completely wrong. If you were held back from putting your best product on the court and was fired because of it are you saying you would just walk away with your head between your legs? Not me. I would do whatever I had to do to make sure that it was known what the truth was. That goes for anything. I am a bigger backer for the program than I am the Hogs. I just have different views on how things should be done than the opposite side.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Porkatarian out...

I would guess Jaimie Dixon as one but just a guess from their past relationship.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkem

thirtythree...you sure you're not Pel's cousin or something?  You two are definitely close and I'm thinking related.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

thirtythree

Quote from: Porkem Yung on January 05, 2010, 11:09:46 am
thirtythree...you sure you're not Pel's cousin or something?  You two are definitely close and I'm thinking related.

No. Not related. Just a realist who looks deeper into why things are the way they are before I make judgements. That's all. It's all part of being rationale.

heathtits

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 05, 2010, 08:57:32 am
8) :-\ ;) 8) ;D

Porkatarian out...

Pork again, I'd like to know why you give credit to JP for being a "great guy" and then proceed to say he treated players inconsistently and was shady about dealing with issues for some players?

Doesn't seem like a guy with integrity would operate that way.

Porkatarian

I promise you that Pel is a very good person.  Make no mistake about it, he's feeling the heat.  Nobody wants to get this thing turned around more than him.

Pel lost all say so in the player suspensions in the pre-season.  Long and Fagg are handling ALL of the basketball disipline.  I felt sorry for John after he told the team that Fortson would be back for the Baylor game.  Personally, I think Long is doing Pel a disservice by trying to help him.

Also, Long was involved with the disipline/sweeping starting with the incident after the Texas game last season.

Porkatarian out...

hawgchill

Rude1,
     VERY relevant question IMO...

Unless homicide/battery or something of THAT nature is involved,
this situation seems to clearly set the Head coach up for
some cold/dark/adverse times ahead

Marshfieldhog

I have a feeling big money is about to change long's priority regarding bball. Football season is now over, its all bball front and center. I'm starting to wonder about long.