Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAB is a tournament team, no shame in losing to them

Started by HOGness4life, January 03, 2010, 01:51:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGness4life

I think looking back on this game it will be a building block. UAB will go far this year and simply playing them close will help our resume come March.

Take a step back and look at the entire picture.

Breems

Quote from: HOGness4life on January 03, 2010, 01:51:40 pm
I think looking back on this game it will be a building block. UAB will go far this year and simply playing them close will help our resume come March.

We lost by a whole freakin point and made a blunder at the end of the game.  We are doomed for the rest of the season and Pelphrey is just a clown. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

missippihog

All I can do is laugh when I see these posts. Morehead St, Cleveland St., and North Dakota St. were all tournament teams last year. I suppose it would be ok to lose to them too using some of the ridiculous logic on here.

Hot_Town_Hog

Normally I would be with you, but to give up a slam with only 2 seconds left in the game, following a timeout to setup the "D", is inexcusable. This of course is on top of all the other issues I have been trying to justify in my on mind. This has turned into a d@mn circus.

Breems

Quote from: missippihog on January 03, 2010, 02:10:48 pm
All I can do is laugh when I see these posts. Morehead St, Cleveland St., and North Dakota St. were all tournament teams last year. I suppose it would be ok to lose to them too using some of the ridiculous logic on here.

Suspensions played a role in the first few games of the season, plus Mike Washington's (the most dominate player on the team) back injury that caused him to play like an old man, added to the fact that we don't have a single guard that can drive to the goal.  Also, after the first lost to Morgan St. at home, the team's spirit definitely took a huge hit for the next few games.  Ridiculous logic?  How about immediately firing Pel after a 1 point loss to the # 24 team in the country?  Now that's great logic.

WilsonHog

January 03, 2010, 02:20:04 pm #5 Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:25:16 pm by WilsonHog
This is Exhibit "A" of how far our program has fallen.

We have become irrelevant to the college basketball world.

We have too many excuse-makers and poor-mouthers around.

Thankfully those folks won't be the ones applying the pressure and writing the checks come decision-time. 

missippihog

My post said nothing about firing anyone. The fact that the title of the thread says there is no shame in losing to UAB (on our home floor) because they are a tournament team is what is ridiculous. There is plenty of shame unless you just don't care anymore.

JONAS

It is not that we lost, but how we lost.  We let them in bounds the ball under the basket with no one guarding him.  Pelphrey is our basketball version of Nutt.  A complete idiot.

GuvHog

Quote from: ImissBrewer on January 03, 2010, 02:14:58 pm
Suspensions played a role in the first few games of the season, plus Mike Washington's (the most dominate player on the team) back injury that caused him to play like an old man, added to the fact that we don't have a single guard that can drive to the goal.  Also, after the first lost to Morgan St. at home, the team's spirit definitely took a huge hit for the next few games.  Ridiculous logic?  How about immediately firing Pel after a 1 point loss to the # 24 team in the country?  Now that's great logic.

It's still amazing to me that the Hogs were able to come within 1 point of beating the #24 ranked team in
the nation (and should have won) without a half way decent PG. Simply amazing and very telling.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgfan80

UAB may be a tournament team. Arkansas is not. The sad thing is how far the program has fallen that we lost to UAB (tournament team or not) at home in front of 5,700. It's not necessarily that we lost....it's that we lost for the 4th or 5th time at home in non-conference.

BadHog

I am ashamed. I am very ashamed at how our program has fallen off the cliff. There was a time when Hog fans were ashamed to lose to the likes of Kentucky and Florida - but saying we shouldn't be ashamed because UAB is a "tournament team"...please.

There is no such thing as a moral victory - you win or you lose...period.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Breems

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 02:26:49 pm
It's still amazing to me that the Hogs were able to come within 1 point of beating the #24 ranked team in
the nation (and should have won) without a half way decent PG. Simply amazing and very telling.

I've tried that approach.  No one cares.  We lost and that should get the "Clown" fired.

Triple T

January 03, 2010, 02:31:50 pm #12 Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:33:28 pm by Triple T
Yet they still lost. You pel huggers always come on after all of our ugly wins and talk about how 'A win is a win', well we lost yesterday and there isn't any way to spin that into a moral victory or use an excuse as to why we lost. Bad teams find a way to lose, and our Razorbacks (and coaching staff) have shot themselves in the foot many times this year, teams can't always get lucky against us.

Breems

Quote from: Triple T on January 03, 2010, 02:31:50 pm
Yet they still lost. You pel huggers always come on...

I think the Pel haters have just as absurd comments.

tiber

You guys do realize this is not a hog fan, don't you?  Entertaining, yes... but hog fan, not so much. 

Don't run him off though :)

WilsonHog

I'm tired of justifying losses.

I'm ready to celebrate some wins, which I've been able to do a lousy 9 times in the last 31 games. 

3kgthog

Do you sunshine pumpers realize what we'll have to do in SEC play to even have a shot at the NIT? The NCAA tourney is already out of the picture. Done. Toast. You can forget about it.

missippihog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2010, 02:41:56 pm
I'm tired of justifying losses.

I'm ready to celebrate some wins, which I've been able to do a lousy 9 times in the last 31 games. 

This ^
       !

tiber

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 03, 2010, 02:45:12 pm
Do you sunshine pumpers realize what we'll have to do in SEC play to even have a shot at the NIT? The NCAA tourney is already out of the picture. Done. Toast. You can forget about it.

But you'll stick around and keep us company, right?

FaytownHog

we won't need a resume come march.

GuvHog

Quote from: Triple T on January 03, 2010, 02:31:50 pm
Yet they still lost. You pel huggers always come on after all of our ugly wins and talk about how 'A win is a win', well we lost yesterday and there isn't any way to spin that into a moral victory or use an excuse as to why we lost. Bad teams find a way to lose, and our Razorbacks (and coaching staff) have shot themselves in the foot many times this year, teams can't always get lucky against us.

I posted this in another thread:

"I'm not in Pels camp, I'm a wait and see guy. Thus far I'm not impressed so he'll have to make significant
improvements to gain my support. I'm like the retired Professional Wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura, I
call it like it is."

Read before posting, you might learn something.

Hoggy1

These kind of posts make me feel like we belong in the Sun Belt, I bet Pel would like that.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Hog1751

Quote from: ImissBrewer on January 03, 2010, 02:06:14 pm
We lost by a whole freakin point and made a blunder at the end of the game.  We are doomed for the rest of the season and Pelphrey is just a clown. 

Regardles of what we lost to friggin UAB BY, JP is a clown and we'll be lucky to not finish 7-25. Razorbacks fans should not even be arguning about Pel, it was time for him to go when we lost to 3 mid majors in the same week at home. No excuse he recurited these friggin players

tomahawkhog

GUV HOG, who's responsible for this team not having a PG??  Pel is, he recruited Fortson, and knew he was a risk...and before you say he wasn't, go back and look who WAS recruiting, and who WASN'T..Pel is in over his head..
Go Hogs!

HOGness4life

QuoteDo you sunshine pumpers realize what we'll have to do in SEC play to even have a shot at the NIT? The NCAA tourney is already out of the picture. Done. Toast. You can forget about it.

We DO have a shot at the NCAA tournament.

Wasn't it Georgia not too long who got into the dance by winning the SEC tournament as a very crappy seed. Its not how you start, rather how you finish that matters.

Onwards and upwards Glorious Arkansas!!!!!!!!!! :razorback:

Triple T

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 02:58:27 pm
I posted this in another thread:

"I'm not in Pels camp, I'm a wait and see guy. Thus far I'm not impressed so he'll have to make significant
improvements to gain my support. I'm like the retired Professional Wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura, I
call it like it is."

Read before posting, you might learn something.
So I'm supposed to know something that you said in ANOTHER thread? I don't read every single thread on Jump Ball and I certainly can't read your brain so please take some of your own advice.

I'm like most other Hog fans, I want to see the Hogs WIN games and not try to justify losing to a team due to blown coverage. Like Wilson said, stop justifying losses.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2010, 02:20:04 pm
This is Exhibit "A" of how far our program has fallen.

We have become irrelevant to the college basketball world.

We have too many excuse-makers and poor-mouthers around.

Thankfully those folks won't be the ones applying the pressure and writing the checks come decision-time

Maybe they'll be inspired and pick up the slack, huh?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HOGness4life on January 03, 2010, 04:00:40 pm

Wasn't it Georgia not too long who got into the dance by winning the SEC tournament as a very crappy seed. Its not how you start, rather how you finish that matters.

That's the funniest reply yet.  Congrats, you really outdid yourself on that one.

UncleFrank

I think it would be kinda funny if we could just officially change our name from 'Arkansas Razorbacks' to 'Glorious Arkansas'.
What kid wouldn't wanna play for a school with a name like that!  ;D

batmanfan

I really wasn't that impressed with UAB.  Millsap is really good but no one else stood out.  They can't shoot it well enough and do not have enough size to win big this year.  Plus they made alot of poor decisions with the ball on offense.

I wasn't impressed.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Tomhog™

Arkansas should consistently beat tournament teams at home, not sitting at 7-7 and most certainly looking at 7-8 entering conference play.  Arkansas also currently resides as the only team in the SEC without a winning record.  And here we are in year 3 of the current staff rated 191st in Sagarin ratings, also dead last in the conference.  And what's equally bad, is that most don't even expect finishing 0.500 in conference.  This is far from where a program with Arkansas' history to be in year 3 of a coaching staff.

husker71

Hey, North Dakota was my sleeper NCAA tourney team and played Kansas very tough.  Lots of knowledgeable "players" made some $$ off of NDS.  Started 5 5th year seniors,who redshirted together.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 03, 2010, 07:25:47 pm
Arkansas should consistently beat tournament teams at home, not sitting at 7-7 and most certainly looking at 7-8 entering conference play.  Arkansas also currently resides as the only team in the SEC without a winning record.  And here we are in year 3 of the current staff rated 191st in Sagarin ratings, also dead last in the conference.  And what's equally bad, is that most don't even expect finishing 0.500 in conference.  This is far from where a program with Arkansas' history to be in year 3 of a coaching staff.

Exactly.  It is sad that we are reduced to moral victories over foes that shouldn't be more than a good warm up for conference play and a guaranteed win at HOME.  I understand all of you trying to be optimists and hang on to the positives...hell, in a way I admire your stick-to-itiveness.  However, please don't come on hear pumping moral victories in a loss to a mid-major at home in a once hostile environment that was feared by opponents.  Just wait until there is a real vicory to pump.

ThisTeetsTaken

We're going to end up 12-19 because of this attitude that "there's no shame in losing to them".
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawkhawg

It is shame.  We want to get back to the day when the only teams that it was OK to lose to were teams like Kentucky and Duke (and we where still disappointed).  And we will never get back to that if we just accept loses to Sun belt and Conf. USA teams. 

N HOG

UAB will go far this year and simply playing them close will help our resume come March.

First of all, I assume this comment was laden with sarcasm. If so, good job.

If not, then in the immortal words of Jim Mora (paraphrased):

"Resume?! Don't talk about resume! Are you kidding me? Resume?! I'm must hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Triple T

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 03, 2010, 07:59:20 pm
We're going to end up 12-19 because of this attitude that "there's no shame in losing to them".
That's a pretty optimistic projection there.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hawkhawg on January 03, 2010, 08:43:51 pm
It is shame.  We want to get back to the day when the only teams that it was OK to lose to were teams like Kentucky and Duke (and we where still disappointed).  And we will never get back to that if we just accept loses to Sun belt and Conf. USA teams. 

No, we want to get back to the day when losing to anyone was unacceptable.  The downturn didn't start with John Pelphrey, but the upswing needs to start right now.

ICEman

and
Quote from: HOGness4life on January 03, 2010, 04:00:40 pm

You don't need to build resume if you can run through the SECT unscathed.  A lot of 16 seeds come in to the NCAAT with losing records because they managed to win their conference tournament... no resume building wins necessary.  Of course Kentucky and its 20,000 Tournament Fans may have the most say in who wins this year's SECT.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

GuvHog

Quote from: Triple T on January 03, 2010, 04:12:10 pm
So I'm supposed to know something that you said in ANOTHER thread? I don't read every single thread on Jump Ball and I certainly can't read your brain so please take some of your own advice.

I'm like most other Hog fans, I want to see the Hogs WIN games and not try to justify losing to a team due to blown coverage. Like Wilson said, stop justifying losses.

No justification. Washington and Farmer messed up and the winning dunk happened.

GuvHog

Quote from: tomahawkhog on January 03, 2010, 03:42:24 pm
GUV HOG, who's responsible for this team not having a PG??  Pel is, he recruited Fortson, and knew he was a risk...and before you say he wasn't, go back and look who WAS recruiting, and who WASN'T..Pel is in over his head..

Courtney Fortson never had behavorial problems in High school, he was not a risk. His trouble started AFTER he
arrived at the U of A. Courtney is responsible for his own actions and he's paying the price for them.

whatsshakinbacon

The measure of this year's team (and Coach Pelphrey's abilities, for that matter) will be based on a compilation of wins and losses, not this game.

The problem is not that we lose on occasion to a team like UAB...the problem is that we CONSISTENTLY lose to teams that are this "good" and others much worse, with very few victories over similar to even out the scales.

We are not a good team.  We are not an improving team.  We are losing against much weaker opposition than we will be facing game in and out in coming weeks. 

The suspensions excuse can carry you through a couple of unexpected losses, but when you analyze the suspensions and realize that they come as a direct result of the character of Pelphrey's recruits you have to lose all confidence in his ability.  His ability to gauge physical talent as well as the mesh with intelligence and integrity many coaches look for in complete players that they choose to bring to their campuses.

If we do not make a drastic turnaround it is time for a change.  Coach Pelphrey is a likeable guy who has earned millions walking our sideline.  I find it hard to believe the sympathy for someone who in three years has made enough money to support many Arkansan families for a lifetime. 

Bacon out...

hawkhawg

Quote from: tomahawkhog on January 03, 2010, 03:42:24 pm
I can understand not taking a chance on a guy that your not sure about, but when you have a chance to get a player with fortson's skills you take a chance every time.  I guess you would not have recruited Allen Iverson.