Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you can't coach your team to prevent that last play by UAB

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 03, 2010, 10:17:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

assuming you are coaching Div 1-A basketball players who have previously successfully played basketball in junior high and high school, then your coaching skills and crunch time tactics should be seriously called into question.

This program is the worst it's been since the mid 1950's. How much longer does the U of A administration want to allow the same people to continue running the basketball team?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

online-with-swine

SLC

I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

ishankem

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 03, 2010, 10:17:31 am
assuming you are coaching Div 1-A basketball players who have previously successfully played basketball in junior high and high school, then your coaching skills and crunch time tactics should be seriously called into question.

This program is the worst it's been since the mid 1950's. How much longer does the U of A administration want to allow the same people to continue running the basketball team?

at least till the end of this season

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 03, 2010, 10:17:31 am

Coaching wasn't the problem on that last play. Mike Washington just blew it, plain and simple. Anyone that knows
anything about basketball knows that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

sshawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 02:18:58 pm
Coaching wasn't the problem on that last play. Mike Washington just blew it, plain and simple. Anyone that knows

No, Washington wasn't the problem. I've watched it over & over.  Farmer started to cut off the lane, but then for some reason went back toward the screen'er. I've yelled at Pel all year for going to the 2-3 zone & then when he should, he sends them out , in a man, (where this open man is possible if he can get an effective screen ) & allows the only open look the could possible hope for.

I've been on the wagon, but my legs are dangling.

GuvHog

Quote from: sshawg on January 03, 2010, 02:36:39 pm
No, Washington wasn't the problem. I've watched it over & over.  Farmer started to cut off the lane, but then for some reason went back toward the screen'er. I've yelled at Pel all year for going to the 2-3 zone & then when he should, he sends them out , in a man, (where this open man is possible if he can get an effective screen ) & allows the only open look the could possible hope for.

Watch it again. All Washington had to do was stay in the lane rather than circle around the pick and the dunk
wouldn't have happened.

Breems

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 02:39:47 pm
Watch it again. All Washington had to do was stay in the lane rather than circle around the pick and the dunk
wouldn't have happened.

Wash could have played it differently, but even though I support Pel, I agree that a zone would have been a much safer call.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The Boar War

Pelphrey must be defended at all costs.

Porkem

"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

GuvHog

Quote from: ImissBrewer on January 03, 2010, 02:42:15 pm
Wash could have played it differently, but even though I support Pel, I agree that a zone would have been a much safer call.

I agree but had the players played it correctly, it wouldn't have matter which defense was used. There wouldn't
have been a layup.

GuvHog

Quote from: The Boar War on January 03, 2010, 10:29:27 pm
Pelphrey must be defended at all costs.

Not defending Pel, just stating that Washington and Farmer messed up.

Danny J

Quote from: sshawg on January 03, 2010, 02:36:39 pm

You are correct. They came out in a man to man and everybody who has ever played organized ball at any level knows that in situation where a team needs to score with almost no time left knows that you play a zone. All it takes is one screen or pick to be set and for a defender to not switch it properly and well...you see what happens. If we were in a zone then washington would not have chased his man out of the lane.

GuvHog

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 03, 2010, 11:18:38 pm
You are correct. They came out in a man to man and everybody who has ever played organized ball at any level knows that in situation where a team needs to score with almost no time left knows that you play a zone. All it takes is one screen or pick to be set and for a defender to not switch it properly and well...you see what happens. If we were in a zone then washington would not have chased his man out of the lane.

No, he's wrong. Washington shouldn't have chased his man out of the lane anyway. Stop trying to excuse
Washington. He made a critical mistake and he'll learn from it.

Danny J

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 11:29:02 pm
No, he's wrong. Washington shouldn't have chased his man out of the lane anyway. Stop trying to excuse
Washington. He made a critical mistake and he'll learn from it.
I am watching it right now as I am typing. We came out in man to man and Mike got picked by farmers man and mikes man went straight to the hoop and recieved the pass from the inbounder. Mike did what he was supposed to because we were in a freaking man to man D. Farmer should have closed down when he saw mike getting picked and his man going to the hoop but  you cant blame it on the players because we should not have been in a man to man just for that reason.
PS, Mike did not chase his man out of the lane because his man started from the right wing on the 3 point line. Farmers man was in the lane and he picked off washington which left washingtons man wide open to the hoop.

GuvHog

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 03, 2010, 11:35:56 pm
I am watching it right now as I am typing. We came out in man to man and Mike got picked by farmers man and mikes man went straight to the hoop and recieved the pass from the inbounder. Mike did what he was supposed to because we were in a freaking man to man D. Farmer should have closed down when he saw mike getting picked and his man going to the hoop but  you cant blame it on the players because we should not have been in a man to man just for that reason.

Excuses, excuses. Mike should've never tried to follow his man around the pick. Players are taught better than that from Junior High on up, that's Basketball 101. You are correct about Farmer, he too will learn from his mistake.

Danny J

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 11:40:35 pm
Excuses, excuses. Mike should've never tried to follow his man around the pick. Players are taught better than that from Junior High on up, that's Basketball 101. You are correct about Farmer, he too will learn from his mistake.
Do you know how to play man to man D? You said mike should never have followed his man around the pick? What should he have done? It is ALL on pelphrey because we should have played a zone not man to man. If farmer had more experiece perhaps he would have switched off the guy setting the pick(which was his man) and followed mikes man who was now right in front of the rim but then his guy(the guy setting the pick) would have been wide open for the shot because we were in a man to man and obviously after we just came from a time out pelphrey must have told them not to switch the pick. Otherwise they would have switched because washington is a senior and farmer is a junior and surely they know how to take instructions from the coach by now wouldnt you say? Now if either mike switched and farmer switched while the other did not then I would blame it on the player and chalk it up to being human but I would have to lay the blame on coaching and the D that pelphrey called after the timeout.

GuvHog

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 03, 2010, 11:47:51 pm
Do you know how to play man to man D? You said mike should never have followed his man around the pick? What should he have done? It is ALL on pelphrey because we should have played a zone not man to man. If farmer had more experiece perhaps he would have switched off the guy setting the pick(which was his man) and followed mikes man who was now right in front of the rim but then his guy(the guy setting the pick) would have been wide open for the shot because we were in a man to man and obviously after we just came from a time out pelphrey must have told them not to switch the pick. Otherwise they would have switched because washington is a senior and farmer is a junior and surely they know how to take instructions from the coach by now wouldnt you say? Now if either mike switched and farmer switched while the other did not then I would blame it on the player and chalk it up to being human but I would have to lay the blame on coaching and the D that pelphrey called after the timeout.

Yes, I know how to play man "D". I played basketball in High school. The correct play for Washington to have made would've been to stay in the lane and meet his man coming around the other side thus blocking his way to the basket. Farmer was between his man and the basket so his man wouldn't have been open for a shot.

heathtits

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 04, 2010, 12:00:28 am
Yes, I know how to play man "D". I played basketball in High school. The correct play for Washington to have made would've been to stay in the lane and meet his man coming around the other side thus blocking his way to the basket. Farmer was between his man and the basket so his man wouldn't have been open for a shot.

Everyone here knows what you are saying regarding Washington when playing "proper" man to man defense. You are right about that

I know you're like the Lou Holtz around here but please try to understand this. The entire point everyone is trying to make is Mike wouldn't even have had a chance to make that mistake if we were playing a zone like any other team would have.

Danny J

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 04, 2010, 12:00:28 am
Let me say this for the 3rd time. Look closely at what I am about to type. Mike washington was never in or even near the lane when the play started. Mikes man he was guarding was out on the 3 point line on the right wing. It was farmers man who was standing in the lane. When Mikes man...who started out on the 3 point line on the right wing started towards the basket it was farmers man who picked mike off thus leaving him a wide open lane to the basket. If we were not in the man to man then mike would have started in the lane where he should have been to block a shot if someone drove to the basket. WE should have been in a zone.

Danny J

Quote from: heathtits on January 04, 2010, 12:09:25 am
Everyone here knows what you are saying regarding Washington when playing "proper" man to man defense. You are right about that

I know you're like the Lou Holtz around here but please try to understand this. The entire point everyone is trying to make is Mike wouldn't even have had a chance to make that mistake if we were playing a zone like any other team would have.
I am glad somebody else understands this besides me. +1
I am not sure what GUVHOG is thinking but obviously when you are in a man to man in that situation you should ALWAYS switch on a pick. If farmer switched then he would have taken mikes man who was cutting to the basket because farmers man just picked off mike which means mike would have taken farmers man after the switch. That tells me that pelphrey AFTER HE JUST CALLED A TIMEOUT should have told his players to switch all picks. UAB coach just flatout out coached pelphrey because after uab called the timeout origianlly they saw the defense arkansas was going to play and pelphrey wasnt smart enough to realize that uab just got a look at the defense we were about to be in and ran a pick play on mike to get his man wide open.

SunshinePumper

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 11:11:59 pm
I agree but had the players played it correctly, it wouldn't have matter which defense was used. There wouldn't
have been a layup.

Putting your players in the BEST CHANCE to win....hmm...sounds like coaching. Imagine that. 
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

GuvHog

Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 04, 2010, 01:23:43 am
Putting your players in the BEST CHANCE to win....hmm...sounds like coaching. Imagine that. 

It wasn't coaching. They knew what to do but didn't do it. A Head coach can coach til he's blue in the face but
he can't go out on the court and do it for them. They have to do it themselves and they didn't.

rude1

Typical Guvhog. Throw the players or whoever you have to under the bus to cover for his hero Pelphrey. The mistake was made when Pelphrey was hired. You seriously must be related to that guy.

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 10:18:03 am
Typical Guvhog. Throw the players or whoever you have to under the bus to cover for his hero Pelphrey. The mistake was made when Pelphrey was hired. You seriously must be related to that guy.

It's amazing how everyone KNOWS what we should have done but that takes away from the fact that what we did do wasn't exectued correctly, Farmer should have switched the screen... if that happens then we aren't having this discussion.

It's also funny that correctly placing blame, because that's what we do, means you're throwing someone under the bus... well guess what, that's what happens when you point to one play that decided the game.

Plan and simple, Farmer and Washington should have been communicating the whold time... Wash should have known it was coming and Farmer should have switched... its simple communication between plays on a, lets face it, basic inbounds play.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 10:18:03 am

No, I'm not in Pelphrey's corner, I'm a wait and see guy and so far I'm not impressed. What those players
were supposed to do is learned in Junior High School. It's basketball 101. There's no excuse for them not
executing the defense properly.

gusaholic

90% of the coaches out there would have had us in zone in that particular circumstance, particularly with freshman in the line-up.  This one was on Pelphrey, end of story.

Iwastherein1969

January 04, 2010, 11:11:13 am #28 Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:12:45 am by Iwastherein1969
the PEL PALS love to point out how young we are....how inexperienced we are.....okay, ONLY an experienced and a team loaded with upperclassmen would attempt to play Man to Man defense in the situation ARK found themselves at the end of the game....why ?  because in a Man defense it is so easy to get picked and not have a proper switch even with the most experienced of players....yet we have a freshmen out there in a BIG game with all the pressure and we expect him to pull a perfect switch on the beautiful inbounds play that Mike Davis set up...this is EXACTLY WHY YOU PLAY A 2-3 zone and force the outside shot and hope one of your wing defensemen can get a hand in the face of the shooter.... Pelphrey and Pels Pals say the frosh should have known and understood to switch off the inbounds play then in their next breath will use the same inexperience as an excuse for losing....go figure
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rude1

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on January 04, 2010, 10:41:22 am
It's amazing how everyone KNOWS what we should have done but that takes away from the fact that what we did do wasn't exectued correctly, Farmer should have switched the screen... if that happens then we aren't having this discussion.

It's also funny that correctly placing blame, because that's what we do, means you're throwing someone under the bus... well guess what, that's what happens when you point to one play that decided the game.

Plan and simple, Farmer and Washington should have been communicating the whold time... Wash should have known it was coming and Farmer should have switched... its simple communication between plays on a, lets face it, basic inbounds play.
It's called coaching. It is obvious they didn't switch it because they hadn't been coached to do so. It is the coaches job to get his players ready to perform in all situations. Pelphrey didn't have his ready for that situation.

On another note, has anyone else noticed how when Dykes is doing a game, he likes to use the expression "X team is very well coached"?  I can't think of a single time he has said this about the Razorbacks, can anyone else? LMAO

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:36:34 am
It's called coaching. It is obvious they didn't switch it because they hadn't been coached to do so. It is the coaches job to get his players ready to perform in all situations. Pelphrey didn't have his ready for that situation.

On another note, has anyone else noticed how when Dykes is doing a game, he likes to use the expression "X team is very well coached"?  I can't think of a single time he has said this about the Razorbacks, can anyone else? LMAO

How the heck do you know they weren't coached on how to switch a screen?  regardless, it's something they should do instinctively.  Maybe its on Pel for not getting more higher BB-IQ guys, but not for them not switching a screen.

It's the big time boys, if a coach calls a play they should be able to execute.  It's the same thing as everyone blaming special teams coach for a kicker missing a kick... you can coach all you want but it comes down to that player fulfilling his end of the bargain.  Besides, its a team sport for good or for bad and right now every coach and every player deserves blame.

rude1

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on January 04, 2010, 12:22:13 pm
How the heck do you know they weren't coached on how to switch a screen?  regardless, it's something they should do instinctively.  Maybe its on Pel for not getting more higher BB-IQ guys, but not for them not switching a screen.

It's the big time boys, if a coach calls a play they should be able to execute.  It's the same thing as everyone blaming special teams coach for a kicker missing a kick... you can coach all you want but it comes down to that player fulfilling his end of the bargain.  Besides, its a team sport for good or for bad and right now every coach and every player deserves blame.
Whats the point in paying coaches? If the players are suppose to know what to do without practicing it or being coached to do it. Well coached teams don't have that break down at that time. Why? Because they are drilled over and over on the proper way to defend that play. But then again, well coached teams aren't in that defense either. So there you have it.

sshawg

Whats funny is, Farmer started to switch & cut off the lane  & then for some reason ran back toward the screen. I think he knew what he was supposed to do, but for whatever reason, changed his mind.
What I was thinking was play a zone & put a tall guy on the endbounds pass, maybe Bryant. Its not easy getting a pass off from there unless you don't have anybody guarding the inbounds.
I know its over, but there really is no excuse for losing that ballgame.

heathtits

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 04, 2010, 10:09:43 am
It wasn't coaching. They knew what to do but didn't do it. A Head coach can coach til he's blue in the face but
he can't go out on the court and do it for them. They have to do it themselves and they didn't.

So what you're saying is he recruited crappy uncoachable players then right?

You really make about as much sense as Lou Holtz.

thirtythree

That's not true. Pat Bradley said this morning that he knew they had been prepped for that. RC in his post game said they had prepped for it. It was lack of execution plan and simple. We can debate whether it was the right call or not, but there is no debate whether these guys were prepped for this situation. You never know, because it didn't happen this way, but if we go zone and they still win I would bet money there would be people saying man-to-man would have been the way to go. I would bet a pay check on it. It's just a whatever fits the agenda at the timeIMO.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Does anyone know of anywhere on the interwebs where I can find a video clip of the last 2 seconds against UAB.  I have scoured the net looking for it and cannot find.  I have friends out of state that have asked if it was really that bad, I tell them yes but want to show them no matter how painful it may be.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

farmhawg

You are absolutely amazing in your pig headedness(sure its a word).
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 03, 2010, 11:13:13 pm
Not defending Pel, just stating that Washington and Farmer messed up.
You learned that very well from your love of motho.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Lanny on January 03, 2010, 10:21:56 am
Pelphrey makes Stan Heath and Lanny Van Eman look good.

When you make Van Eman look good that's doing something.......

SunshinePumper

January 04, 2010, 08:42:54 pm #39 Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:52:13 pm by SunshinePumper
Quote from: GUVHOG on January 04, 2010, 10:09:43 am

Players are not robots.  Mistakes happen.  Coaching is about minimizing mistakes by calling the plays for the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of success.

Man-to-man defense requires a high degree of timing, execution, speed.  Degree of difficulty 10/10.

Zone defense requires less timing, execution, and speed because you get help and you stay in your particular ZONE.  Degree of difficulty 5/10. 

Tell me, what defense gives the razorbacks the best chance to win at the end of a game under the opponent's basket with 2.2 seconds left? 

Coaching EPIC FAIL.  End of story. 
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

JONAS

Quote from: Lanny on January 03, 2010, 10:21:56 am
Pelphrey makes Stan Heath and Lanny Van Eman look good.

Pel makes me wish that Stan was still coaching here.

Danny J

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 04, 2010, 06:47:19 pm
Does anyone know of anywhere on the interwebs where I can find a video clip of the last 2 seconds against UAB.  I have scoured the net looking for it and cannot find.  I have friends out of state that have asked if it was really that bad, I tell them yes but want to show them no matter how painful it may be.
I looked around the web for it and could not find it. I have it recorded and can give you play by play. I think I already gave a pretty good play by play a little earlier in this thread. Sorr, I looked for you though.