Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Those who think Anderson, or another high profiile coach wouldnt come here...

Started by football17, January 03, 2010, 01:12:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

football17

are just wrong... the problem before was Frank... He's gone and now Arkansas is a VERY attractive place to be in any sport and they will come...

Arkansas is Mike Anderson's dream job. Always has. Always will be.

Others would love to come, too...

kuhog

What's your definition of high profile? If Mike Anderson is whom you consider a high profile coach, then there are a bunch of coaches that would qualify. Personally, I think Anderson is good coach, but certainly not "high profile". Furthermore, Anderson had to build Missouri from scratch and now has that program heading in the right direction. Do you think he would come to Arkansas, where he would have to start over again?

WilsonHog

3kgthog

How would MA be starting over again? Looking at our roster, it looks just like a MA team would look. There really aren't any big men. They are all either a small guard or an athletic forward with long arms. He could probably put in a halfway respectable press almost immediately.

Danny J

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 03, 2010, 11:04:49 pm
How would MA be starting over again? Looking at our roster, it looks just like a MA team would look. There really aren't any big men. They are all either a small guard or an athletic forward with long arms. He could probably put in a halfway respectable press almost immediately.
I am not sure Mike would leave what he has to come into this mess we have here. I have watched his team play and they are a pretty good team that has a chance to win a tournament game or 2 after replacing his top 3 players from last year.

ge-erdone

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2010, 10:51:00 pm
Yes.
Why would Mike Anderson want to come back to Fayetteville?

We do not even have a practice facility, and his arena at Columbia is more new then ours, and he gets to recruit St. Louis and Kansas City, and all the Juco schools.

The only thing could be more money, which he makes over 2  million now I believe.

Hawgz Fan

Havent been able to get them the last two times....but i'm with ya, we might as well try again!  Third times a charm!  Go Hogs!

WilsonHog

Quote from: ge-erdone on January 03, 2010, 11:09:41 pm
Why would Mike Anderson want to come back to Fayetteville?

We do not even have a practice facility, and his arena at Columbia is more new then ours, and he gets to recruit St. Louis and Kansas City, and all the Juco schools.

The only thing could be more money, which he makes over 2  million now I believe.

Let me answer your question this way.

I know of a young man who turned down a full academic scholarship at UCA for a quarter scholarship at UA and student loans that will amount to over $50,000 when he graduates. Why? Because UA meant that much to him.

I use that example because sometimes people do things - make decisions - for reasons that cannot readily be measured by others. As one piece of evidence, if Mike Anderson didn't care something about Arkansas, is it reasonable to believe he would still own a house in Fayetteville almost 8 years after leaving the area? Do you know people who do that? Is that normal? Why would Mike Anderson have referred to UA as his dream job? Why has he let it be known that he would love to come back here?   

kuhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2010, 11:17:38 pm
Let me answer your question this way.

I know of a young man who turned down a full academic scholarship at UCA for a quarter scholarship at UA and student loans that will amount to over $50,000 when he graduates. Why? Because UA meant that much to him.

I hope this young man didn't become a financial adviser.

WilsonHog

Quote from: kuhog on January 03, 2010, 11:30:40 pm
I hope this young man didn't become a financial adviser.

That's because you're thinking only with your head.

Sometimes life is about passion.

Breems

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2010, 11:17:38 pm
Why would Mike Anderson have referred to UA as his dream job? Why has he let it be known that he would love to come back here?  

When did he refer to it as his dream job?  Could someone link me up?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Porkatarian

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 03, 2010, 11:08:58 pm
I am not sure Mike would leave what he has to come into this mess we have here.

I'm sure he would leave Missouri to come to Arkansas.  Of course, I've heard him say it.   ;)

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

MissouriFan

Quote from: ImissBrewer on January 03, 2010, 11:42:42 pm
When did he refer to it as his dream job?  Could someone link me up?

This is the only forum I have ever seen that.  My guess is it is either wishful thinking or something that was said in the past.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was his dream job when he was an assistant at Arkansas or the head coach at UAB.

Here are a couple of reasons I don't see Anderson leaving what he has built at Missouri.

1. He had the chance to leave last season and make significantly more money than he currently is but he chose to stay here.

2. No way he leaves with the team he is going to have next season. Dixon, Denmon, Paul, Pressey, Mitchell, Bowers, English, and company is the type of roster that can do some serious damage and make a deep run in March.

3. Anderson has put down some pretty good roots here. His nephew (TJ) and son are on his basketball staff and both his son and another nephew (Carrol) played for him at Missouri, went to the elite eight with him at Missouri, and graduated from the University of Missouri. That is something no other school can offer him.

4. Anderson believes that he can win a National Title here.

5. Missouri gave him his chance to coach at a BCS school and Anderson is both very loyal and grateful. 

6.  He is 50. I don't think he wants to start rebuilding another program.  Espcially now that he has his program rolling at Mizzou.  Missouri currently has the highest rated recruiting class in the Big12, went to the elite eight last year, could very well go to the tournament again this year, and the team we will have next year should be capable of making a deep tournament run.

7. He is following his mentor's path. Richardson coached at Tulsa and then Arkansas. UAB was Anderson's Tulsa and Missouri is Anderson's Arkansas.

8. Very few schools have nicer basketball facilities than Missouri.  In fact our facilities were one of the reasons we were able to hire Mike Anderson in the first place.  When he toured Mizzou Arena, the practice courts, the basketball workout facilities, locker rooms, offices, ect. he loved it.

Crazier things have happened but I will believe Anderson coaching somewhere else when I see it with my own eyes.

The Boar War

Quote from: MissouriFan on January 04, 2010, 09:55:05 am
This is the only forum I have ever seen that.  My guess is it is either wishful thinking or something that was said in the past.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was his dream job when he was an assistant at Arkansas or the head coach at UAB.

Here are a couple of reasons I don't see Anderson leaving what he has built at Missouri.

1. He had the chance to leave last season and make significantly more money than he currently is but he chose to stay here.

2. No way he leaves with the team he is going to have next season. Dixon, Denmon, Paul, Pressey, Mitchell, Bowers, English, and company is the type of roster that can do some serious damage and make a deep run in March.

3. Anderson has put down some pretty good roots here. His nephew (TJ) and son are on his basketball staff and both his son and another nephew (Carrol) played for him at Missouri, went to the elite eight with him at Missouri, and graduated from the University of Missouri. That is something no other school can offer him.

5. Missouri gave him his chance to coach at a BCS school and Anderson is both very loyal and grateful. 

6.  He is 50. I don't think he wants to start rebuilding another program.  Espcially now that he has his program rolling at Mizzou.  Missouri currently has the highest rated recruiting class in the Big12, went to the elite eight last year, could very well go to the tournament again this year, and the team we will have next year should be capable of making a deep tournament run.

7. He is following his mentor's path. Richardson coached at Tulsa and then Arkansas. UAB was Anderson's Tulsa and Missouri is Anderson's Arkansas.

8. Very few schools have nicer basketball facilities than Missouri.  In fact our facilities were one of the reasons we were able to hire Mike Anderson in the first place.  When he toured Mizzou Arena, the practice courts, the basketball workout facilities, locker rooms, offices, ect. he loved it.

Crazier things have happened but I will believe Anderson coaching somewhere else when I see it with my own eyes.

#2 and #5 are the only ones that I (as an Arkansas fan) would be concerned with.  He has a good team that dives on the floor for him while they have a thirty point lead.

As far as the rest is concerned.
#1.  The Arkansas job was/ is not open.  I'm not saying he doesn't like Mizzou.  He likes you better than UGA and Memphis.
#3  TJ Cleveland played for the Razorbacks and both his son and daughter grew up in Fayetteville.  He has a house in Fayetteville.
#4 Anderson has seen a national championship happen here (from the coach's seat).
#6 Fifty is really not that old especially when you have younger assistants that do the leg work.  Also a coaching change would allow the recruiting class to follow him if they wanted.
#7 This is Andersons opportunity to finish the job at Arkansas.  If he really wants to follow his mentor's path he would follow his mentor.
#8.  With the exception of a practice facility Arkansas has better facilities than Mizzou.  I would imagine that a practice facility would be part of the contract.  Don't forget that more than likely Nolan and Mike had a hand in the design of Bud Walton Arena.

I'm not saying you're wrong in any of your statements, just that they can be disputed if seen from another point of view.

Porkatarian

Sorry Mizzou fan, but the conversation that I was referring to with Coach A occurred just a few months ago.

FWIW, if a change is made I'm still not convinced that Jeff Long will go that route.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

rude1

rude1

Quote from: MissouriFan on January 04, 2010, 09:55:05 am

I have to say, you laid it out there quite well, and I can see no point you made that can be disagreed with by me. If you go and look at what he is building there now, it is hard to see him walking away without seeing it to completion. With the class he is putting together for next year, and with what he will have coming back, I can't see anyone not wanting to not see that one through in favor of the complete uncertainty that would await him here.

I would like to know, has anyone heard him or heard of him making those comments since he put this latest recruiting class of his together?

mizzouman

I've said this a thousand times on here.  MA may end up at Arkansas or he may not.  He may WANT to coach there or he may not.  For anyone to come on here to say that Arkansas is his "dream" job cannot be 100% sure.  Why?  Because "IF" he did say that just a few months ago, I know for a fact that he has said that Missouri is his "dream" job just 2 weeks ago.

So, I can't say nor can anyone else say what his "dream" job is if he's saying 2 different things.  Arkansas may very well be the job he always wanted, but so can Missouri.  No one knows.

This is what I can say for a fact.  If MA ends up at Arkansas, it won't be anytime soon.  He's got one hell of a class coming in next year and with the guys coming back, Mizzou will be top 15. 

But here's the biggest reason why I don't think MA will end up at Arkansas anytime soon.

Pelphrey has 1 more year left, at the most.  Let's say he finishes out this year and next.  There's no way MA will leave Mizzou then because of all the talent he's going to have.  The players coming in next year will be Sophs and the players coming back next year will be Jrs. and Senior.  In 2 years, Mizzou will be pushing for a final 4.  So, in the meantime, Arkansas will be looking for a new coach.  Once hired, the new coach will be there at least 3 years.  What that means is that if MA ends up at Arkansas, it earliest will be in 5 years AFTER the coach that is hired after Pelphrey.  Arkansas would have to go through 2 coaches in the next 5 years which only means a very, very bad next 5 years for Arkansas basketball. 

The Boar War

Quote from: mizzouman on January 04, 2010, 12:04:13 pm
I've said this a thousand times on here.  MA may end up at Arkansas or he may not.  He may WANT to coach there or he may not.  For anyone to come on here to say that Arkansas is his "dream" job cannot be 100% sure.  Why?  Because "IF" he did say that just a few months ago, I know for a fact that he has said that Missouri is his "dream" job just 2 weeks ago.

So, I can't say nor can anyone else say what his "dream" job is if he's saying 2 different things.  Arkansas may very well be the job he always wanted, but so can Missouri.  No one knows.

This is what I can say for a fact.  If MA ends up at Arkansas, it won't be anytime soon.  He's got one hell of a class coming in next year and with the guys coming back, Mizzou will be top 15. 

But here's the biggest reason why I don't think MA will end up at Arkansas anytime soon.

Pelphrey has 1 more year left, at the most.  Let's say he finishes out this year and next.  There's no way MA will leave Mizzou then because of all the talent he's going to have.  The players coming in next year will be Sophs and the players coming back next year will be Jrs. and Senior.  In 2 years, Mizzou will be pushing for a final 4.  So, in the meantime, Arkansas will be looking for a new coach.  Once hired, the new coach will be there at least 3 years.  What that means is that if MA ends up at Arkansas, it earliest will be in 5 years AFTER the coach that is hired after Pelphrey.  Arkansas would have to go through 2 coaches in the next 5 years which only means a very, very bad next 5 years for Arkansas basketball. 

I agree that if it doesn't happen this year it's not going to happen.  I don't have a problem believing that Mike is happy at Mizzou.  I do have a problem believing it's his dream job.  It may be his dream to be the head coach at a BCS conference. But why (and I mean no disrespect to your school) would it be his dream job to coach at Mizzou?  As far as I can tell there were no ties before he came there.

mizzouman

Quote from: The Boar War on January 04, 2010, 12:19:01 pm
I agree that if it doesn't happen this year it's not going to happen.  I don't have a problem believing that Mike is happy at Mizzou.  I do have a problem believing it's his dream job.  It may be his dream to be the head coach at a BCS conference. But why (and I mean no disrespect to your school) would it be his dream job to coach at Mizzou?  As far as I can tell there were no ties before he came there.

You are absolutely correct.  MA has no ties to Missouri but he had no ties to Arkansas before he got there either other than Nolan.  So, perhaps, he's making ties. 

No disrespect taken.  I understand.  I agree.  Why would Mizzou be his "dream" job?  I don't know, I just know what he said.  He could be blowing smoke, making alums happy or just playing the head coaching role.  Like I said, NO ONE really knows.

By the way, he made that "dream" job comment right before we played Illinois.  So, that might have been the egg nog talking :).

If MA is to go back to Arkansas, it will be a few years down the road.

WMHawgfan

The only thing I will say on the subject is don't make the same mistake twice. We pulled the plug on Heath thinking BG was in the bag. We had no backup plan and look where it got us.

I will support Pel as long as he is the coach and hope that he can win. I would not have a problem with firing him either. He certainly has not done anything to merit keeping his job. If we are going to fire him, please for the love of god have a guaranteed replacement. I don't want to see another fiasco like the last two coaching searches. (We lucked out on BP, that search was getting rediculous until he fell in our laps).