Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We Have Talent

Started by hvsupastar, January 02, 2010, 03:01:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

When or if Fortson comes back and we get our other big guy Sanchez back we have a solid team. Not a great team but a solid. Pel needs to let Rob Evans call the X's and O's and we just might field a competitive squad. We had way worse teams under Heath, the sky is not completely falling IMO
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

alaback

athunt

Micheal Sanchez is not the answer to any of our problems. Maybe if we were having a problem of fouling out, he could add 5 more fouls.

What teams did Heath have that were "way worse"?

Looks like your trying to make excuses when there are none.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

bricklayer

NONE of Stan's teams had two wins in conference!  This team is worse than last years.

Lando Calrissian

If this team had Kobe, Lebron, and Tyler Hansbrough, they would be ok.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Fletch

Actually Sanchez is the only one on the team that can actually box out for a rebound. That would have been nice to have today.
I feel like $100

Fletch

I think we have to stop counting on Fortson. If he is not back by now, you have to wonder if he will be back at all.
I feel like $100

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

roundball

Quote from: Fletch on January 02, 2010, 03:17:52 pm
Actually Sanchez is the only one on the team that can actually box out for a rebound. That would have been nice to have today.

What a sad point to make..what's worse is you're right.

athunt

I think thats the missing link on this team!
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Breems

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 02, 2010, 03:16:36 pm
If this team had Kobe, Lebron, and Tyler Hansbrough, they would be ok.

Why would you add Hansbrough?  lol
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

3kgthog

We have talent, but Britt, Welsh, and Sanchez are complete wastes of a scholarship. I think several Hogville posters that have shot a ball before could torch Britt in a 3-pt contest.

Toad Suck Pork

At this point, you have to count out Fortson and Sanchez for the season, and if they come back it will be a surprise.  God knows what's really going on with CF, and Sanchez's foot issues are going to be an ongoing issue for a while.

Regardless, the Arkansas Razorbacks should have enough depth to still be competitive without them.  We have been humiliated by three major conference teams already this year, and will be handed our tails again when we play Texas.

roundball

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 02, 2010, 03:50:25 pm
We have talent, but Britt, Welsh, and Sanchez are complete wastes of a scholarship. I think several Hogville posters that have shot a ball before could torch Britt in a 3-pt contest.

I couldn't believe he was offered a schollie by Arkansas..I was seriously beside myself. Britt was a nice high school player at Forrest City, but so was a lot of other guys. How can you have a shot like his and not be able to score any other way, but play as many minutes he does in the SEC is beyond me.

ke2743

Umm.. Sanchez.. Are we talking about the same one?  The one on the basketball team right?  How do you seriously think he could help besides taking up space on the floor?

hillhog

Quote from: Speedracer on January 02, 2010, 03:20:05 pm
We have talent? Where?
Too often I see jr high talent displayed by some of our starters

SunshinePumper

Quote from: ke2743 on January 02, 2010, 04:00:08 pm
Umm.. Sanchez.. Are we talking about the same one?  The one on the basketball team right?  How do you seriously think he could help besides taking up space on the floor?

The best excuses are the ones that can never be proven wrong.  Excuse making 101.

"<insert name of missing player> is the key to our success!  If we had <missing player> we win easily!"
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

Hogimus Prime

We may have talent in Clarke, Washington, Powell and to an extent Farmer but we don't have a point guard nor do we have a head coach.

mr4pt

Yeah, you're right about Sanchez.

We could really use his 5 pts, 5 rbs, and 5 fouls per game.

hvsupastar

I was just saying we gave a top 25 team all they wanted yesterday and should have won the game. The talent isn't terrible.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

ICEman

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 03, 2010, 03:25:05 pm
I was just saying we gave a top 25 team all they wanted yesterday and should have won the game. The talent isn't terrible.
They played down to the level of the competition.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Danny J

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 02, 2010, 04:59:26 pm
We may have talent in Clarke, Washington, Powell and to an extent Farmer but we don't have a point guard nor do we have a head coach.
Agreed. One of the biggest problems with this team is no point guard. Pelphrey better go get a PG who can dribble drive and shoot.

HogKongPhooey

The golfer can box out as well.

athunt

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 03, 2010, 11:13:07 pm
Agreed. One of the biggest problems with this team is no point guard. Pelphrey better go get a PG who can dribble drive and shoot.
This isnt directed towards you individually but, Im tired of hearing that this teams problems are that we dont have a good PG.

There are several things that can be done to help make up for the void. Crisper passing, better play calling, better screens, better rebounding, and better communication.

It starts with the coach taking the steps to improve these areas, and IMO, we have digressed in every single one of those areas from last year.
-Reggie Johnson

Danny J

Quote from: athunt on January 03, 2010, 11:30:11 pm
This isnt directed towards you individually but, Im tired of hearing that this teams problems are that we dont have a good PG.

are several things that can be done to help make up for the void. Crisper passing, better play calling, better screens, better rebounding, and better communication.

It starts with the coach taking the steps to improve these areas, and IMO, we have digressed in every single one of those areas from last year.
OH...I agree. I was just stating the first problem I see with this team is not point guard not that it is the only problem.

roundball

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on January 03, 2010, 11:27:59 pm
The golfer can box out as well.

No offense to the guy at all, but he has gotten playing time every year he's put on a uniform, he is not good enough to play for a small college. Yet, we're having to put him on the floor. This is another reason Pelphery isn't doing a good job. Can we not find someone who can play in front of this guy and let him take the course anytime he wants instead of us begging him to play every year so we can have bodies! My gosh!!!!!!!

thirtythree

Quote from: athunt on January 03, 2010, 11:30:11 pm

There are several things that can be done to help make up for the void. Crisper passing, better play calling, better screens, better rebounding, and better communication.

I agree there are things that could be done better, but there is no way you can't say that not having a "true" PG on the floor isn't our biggest problem. Dribble penetration is what we lack the most on our team. If we cure that we cure more than half our problems alone.

rude1

Quote from: roundball on January 04, 2010, 09:13:31 am

No offense to the guy at all, but he has gotten playing time every year he's put on a uniform, he is not good enough to play for a small college. Yet, we're having to put him on the floor. This is another reason Pelphery isn't doing a good job. Can we not find someone who can play in front of this guy and let him take the course anytime he wants instead of us begging him to play every year so we can have bodies! My gosh!!!!!!!
Glenn Bryant gets 3 minutes, the Golfer gets 7. Now you tell me the rationale in that distribution of playing time? Anyone can see that Pelphrey has no idea on how to distribute minutes on this team, or how to maximize players potential. In a game where you are getting slaughtered on the boards, you have a young aggressive rebounder sitting for 37 minutes of the game. 

The Boar War

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:20:21 am
Glenn Bryant gets 3 minutes, the Golfer gets 7. Now you tell me the rationale in that distribution of playing time? Anyone can see that Pelphrey has no idea on how to distribute minutes on this team, or how to maximize players potential. In a game where you are getting slaughtered on the boards, you have a young aggressive rebounder sitting for 37 minutes of the game. 

I didn't understand that one either.

athunt

Quote from: roundball on January 04, 2010, 09:13:31 am

Go back and watch the tape of the last play against UAB, the golfer has his man  covered, while 2 highly recruited players lets theirs run wild. He actually has something to play for, the others dont. That falls on the coach. At his position he is better than Sanchez and hes better than Britt and its not even close.  Therese nothing wrong with him not taking shots, it gives them to Clarke or Welsh will take them. Why is he so terrible again? Cuz hes white and wheres a T Shirt? Why dont you clarify to everybody what his deficiencies are and we can compare them to the rest of his teammates.
-Reggie Johnson

athunt

Quote from: rude1 on January 04, 2010, 11:20:21 am
Pel did the same thing with Clark and Moore last year. Clark provided length and a spark once he got on the court but Pel would forget about both after halftime. I would much rather watch Glenn Bryant than watch Micheal Washington try and draw a charge everytime down the court.
-Reggie Johnson

hawgtime

Quote from: mr4pt on January 02, 2010, 08:40:45 pm
Yeah, you're right about Sanchez.

We could really use his 5 pts, 5 rbs, and 5 fouls per game.
add in 10 mean minutes and i agree. wear out the other teams big man or at least hang on him a while.

Hogimus Prime

I'd rather see Cox giving Farmer a breather than Britt.   Cox hustles, has good fundementals and understands the game.

This year like last year we have two skinny back up bigmen that Pel forgets about or refuses to play, not sure which.   Bryant has the potential, but he is not gonna get anywhere riding the bench.

roundball

What I'm saying is he plays hard, but what are you trying to justify? Clearly, clearly he isn't D-1 material, and it's sad we actually recruited guys that can't play in front of him.

Actually, I don't even want to try and point out the obvious..it all falls on coaching. Trying to justify the guy's talent compared to others is obvious. Pelphrey needs go over man to man principles on in bounds plays, since he apparently can't go to a zone and at least give up a jump shot.

The "he's white" and "wears a T-Shirt" thing has nothing to do with anything. Please come up with a better assumption.