Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Need to Drastically Lower my Expectations

Started by WilsonHog, December 20, 2009, 11:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

My problem is that my memory is too good.

I would love to wake up tomorrow morning and have our history from 1975 to 1995 wiped away.

Then I could approach each Razorback basketball season like Arkansas State fans do. Maybe we can play a little over .500 and get to the NIT...maybe even get lucky and make the NCAA Tournament. I think I would be much happier.

I'll start in small steps. I don't expect us to win any of our next four games.

Now if we do I can be pleasantly surprised.

The Hogfather

It is simple.  Just be realistic with your expectations, based on what has gone on over the past decade or so.  Just pay particular attention to the time right before Pelphrey was hired.  Just focus on the 2nd year of Pelphrey's tenure here and how many players he had to replace.  It should be pretty easy to do if you take all of that into account.  Some of us are easily able to do it.

WilsonHog

December 20, 2009, 11:15:10 pm #2 Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:17:02 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: The Hogfather on December 20, 2009, 11:10:15 pm
It is simple.  Just be realistic with your expectations, based on what has gone on over the past decade or so.  Just pay particular attention to the time right before Pelphrey was hired.  Just focus on the 2nd year of Pelphrey's tenure here and how many players he had to replace.  It should be pretty easy to do if you take all of that into account.  Some of us are easily able to do it.

But here is the difference.

For some people it is enough simply that "the Hogs are playing."

For some their love of basketball itself is enough to sustain their interest.

Neither apply to me. I'm a fan of college basketball when the Razorbacks are winning and when March Madness rolls around. All the rest is a waste. I wouldn't walk across the street to see the two best teams in the country play, much less turn on my television.   

So for me it is much easier to concede that our program has been a loser for most of the past decade, is a loser now, and forever more will be a loser.

Porkem

Think we've got it bad Wilson?  Imagine how Notre Dame fans have been feeling the past five years?  At least they have a new coach, so they can at least fill good about that. 

People really do have short memories outside of our own program.  Kentucky was pretty bad last year, by Kentucky standards.  Now look at them.  They're on top again.  If we ever get back in the Top 10 and start winning some SEC West titles....people (outside the state) won't remember the bad times.  They only see the now...the present.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

The Hogfather

Yeah, and Notre Dame just hired their 3rd coach in the last 8 years.  For some reason, though, things aren't getting any better.  In fact, they're getting worse.  What gives?  From listening to most of the "experts" around here, I thought all we had to do was fire Pelphrey and we'd automatically become relevant again...

Hog Fan...DOH!

Arkansas basketball during the 1990s:

9 NCAA Tournament appearances
6 Sweet Sixteens
4 Elite Eights
3 Final Fours
2 Title Games
1 National Title. 

My goodness.  I want everybody to think about that for a while.  Just... think about it. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 20, 2009, 11:10:15 pm
O give me a freaking break.are you Jeff Long himself? looks like you Pel lovers will get the more years you want. but it does not make you right.Jeff Long is digging his own grave. every day Pel is coach. the program is damaged.we were once one of the best in the country. now we are being told to be happy to beat SFA. and go to the NIT. what a sad disgrace.

Danny J

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 20, 2009, 11:23:25 pm
Yeah, and Notre Dame just hired their 3rd coach in the last 8 years.  For some reason, though, things aren't getting any better.  In fact, they're getting worse.  What gives?  From listening to most of the "experts" around here, I thought all we had to do was fire Pelphrey and we'd automatically become relevant again...
Until Notre Dame starts recuiting SEC or USC speed they will never be relevant again. Until the Big 10 schools start doing the same they will all remain irrelevant.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 20, 2009, 11:24:30 pm
Arkansas basketball during the 1990s:

9 NCAA Tournament appearances
6 Sweet Sixteens
4 Elite Eights
3 Final Fours
2 Title Games
1 National Title. 

My goodness.  I want everybody to think about that for a while.  Just... think about it. 

That is why where we are right now is unacceptable.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 20, 2009, 11:29:05 pm

That is why where we are right now is unacceptable.

The only problem is that people think that where we are right now solely falls at Pel's feet, which is fricking ridiculous.

clew

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 20, 2009, 11:15:10 pm

Neither apply to me. I'm a fan of college basketball when the Razorbacks are winning and when March Madness rolls around. All the rest is a waste. I wouldn't walk across the street to see the two best teams in the country play, much less turn on my television.  

So for me it is much easier to concede that our program has been a loser for most of the past decade, is a loser now, and forever more will be a loser.
Remarkably similar to my take, WH.  I love everything about college basketball...when the Hogs are winning.  If they aren't, I rarely keep up with a sport.  If they are, I read EVERY news article and internet message board post that i can.  There is a monster that lies dormant within me, just waiting to be awakened by the sweet sound of cheers coming from BWA or RRS.  Right now, I couldn't tell you what our current record is...that is bad.  I can remember scores from individual games from seasons where we are winning.  Does this make me a bandwagon fan?  I don't think so.  I still support the Hogs financially.  I still annoy the people around me with my Hog Call ring tone.  I wear my Hog gear until it's faded and has holes.  Right now, I just have a hard time letting myself get too emotional over this basketball team.  It sucks.

I think we overbuilt when we moved out of Barnhill.  The crowd excitement has steadily waned since 1995 and a lot of that is due to having an arena that seats more than "good" basketball will draw.  We should have gone with a 13K or 14K arena.  It could never happen, but I wish they would go back to BH.  Just update it and then use BWA for big games like Texas or Kentucky, or if we're rolling.  I know we'd "lose too much money" but whatever spirit was "captured and released" from BH to BWA wasn't the real thing--it's still stuck in Barnhill Arena. 
Pure as the dawn

ge-erdone

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 20, 2009, 11:26:36 pm
O give me a freaking break.are you Jeff Long himself? looks like you Pel lovers will get the more years you want. but it does not make you right.Jeff Long is digging his own grave. every day Pel is coach. the program is damaged.we were once one of the best in the country. now we are being told to be happy to beat SFA. and go to the NIT. what a sad disgrace.

Yea, I am happy about the announcement and circumstances for Pelphrey getting some more time to attain his goals which:

Are getting the standards of basketball that he saw, played, and felt at Kentucky, and then constantly beat Kentucky, and make the Arkansas Razorbacks one of the premier programs in the nation.

Yep, I am very happy for that.

Fletch

The fall from grace started over 10 years ago, it is just being extended by the current staff.
I feel like $100

WilsonHog

Quote from: ge-erdone on December 20, 2009, 11:37:17 pm
Yea, I am happy about the announcement and circumstances for Pelphrey getting some more time to attain his goals which:

Are getting the standards of basketball that he saw, played, and felt at Kentucky, and then constantly beat Kentucky, and make the Arkansas Razorbacks one of the premier programs in the nation.

Me too.

Just hope I can see us realize those levels sometime in the next 10 years.

Because until we reach those levels, why bother?

Porkem

The Stephen F. Austin game was the first game I went to this year.  Here were some observations that stood out.

1.  The players just don't seem excited and fired up to play the game of basketball.  No one has any fire....any emotion.

2.  The fans were not into the game.  The 6,000 or so in attendance just sat in their chairs...polite as they can be.  I stood the entire game in the student section but hell, even the students weren't fired up.  Only a handful in the [CENSORED] were doing any cheering.

3.  SFA smelled blood toward the end.  They could sense victory was in their grasp and the Hogs didn't seem to want it as bad as they did.  Rotnei Clark even missed a free throw to give them a chance at a game tying three for OT.

4.  Pelphrey does a lot of screaming at his players and I don't think they like it.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a coach screaming at his players...just that our players don't like it and don't respond well to it.

5.. The team lacks confidence.  They have talent...but no confidence.  I think the losses and the fans' negativity has got into their head.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

forrest city joe

Quote from: ge-erdone on December 20, 2009, 11:37:17 pm

Keep fooling youself.it wont happen if Long gives him 20 years. he stinks as a coach. and we will never win any championships with him. if you want to keep fooling yourself. go for it. im just going to sit back and watch the trainwreck.

ge-erdone

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 20, 2009, 11:46:31 pm
Keep fooling youself.it wont happen if Long gives him 20 years. he stinks as a coach. and we will never win any championships with him. if you want to keep fooling yourself. go for it. im just going to sit back and watch the trainwreck.

I do not like to be fooled, and I do not believe I am fooling myself.

Hey, one of the main guys that very well could help toward these goals, as he has looked great since he has come off suspension, is the guy from your area, Marcus Britt.

He is getting better and better.

Hawgon

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 20, 2009, 11:31:46 pm
The only problem is that people think that where we are right now solely falls at Pel's feet, which is fricking ridiculous.

No, you're the one being absolutely ridiculous.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, places all the blame on Pel.  It is just that those of us with a lick of sense can see that he isn't the man to get us anywhere near back to being a nationally prominent team.  That's it.  We don't hate Pel, we just want a good coach.

HawgAdvocate

See, now I was right there with ya, right up until ya had to go and say this....

As the saying goes for those who feel down on their luck, "it can't rain all the time." I'm surprised to see you, of all people, taking such an extreme position. I thought you apathetic Switzerland, eager to make light of the extremists on "both sides" of the issue.

Forever? Come now. Really??
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawgon on December 20, 2009, 11:57:53 pm
No, you're the one being absolutely ridiculous.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, places all the blame on Pel.  It is just that those of us with a lick of sense can see that he isn't the man to get us anywhere near back to being a nationally prominent team.  That's it.  We don't hate Pel, we just want a good coach.

LOL well jee golly, with those types of skills it's a wonder you aren't in higher demand by AD's all over the country. Where do ya go to learn that ttpe of trade mi amigo?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawgon on December 20, 2009, 11:57:53 pm
This guy has been here going on 3 years. and the program is getting worse and worse. and now we get from these Pel lovers and our A.D. that he is getting even more years. FOR WHAT? he cant coach or recruit. the program is dead as long as he's coach.

Hawgon

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 21, 2009, 12:00:46 am
LOL well jee golly, with those types of skills it's a wonder you aren't in higher demand by AD's all over the country. Where do ya go to learn that ttpe of trade mi amigo?

What, we win two games and suddenly you come back out of the hole you've been hiding in for the last couple of weeks?

Porkem

Hey Wilson....I have a question.  I have a membership at rivals and troll around a lot on other teams' message boards....looking at the pictures, reading their comments, etc.  My username is Porkem Yung...but I don't post much...just troll around.

CatsPause.com's basketball forum over at Kentucky, Rupp Rafters, is probably the best I've come across.  They have a thread on John Wall that is absolutley phenomenal.  It's called "Changing History" or something like that and it's a thread of John Wall being photoshopped into classic paintings and moments in history.

I'd like to post it in Jump Ball (some of the pictures that is) to give our fans like DEVICEHIGH something to consider.  I just don' want to go to all that trouble if it's going to the trash bin,,,after all this is a Razorback message board...but it is a cool thread.  Whadya think?

WilsonHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 20, 2009, 11:59:03 pm

See, now I was right there with ya, right up until ya had to go and say this....

As the saying goes for those who feel down on their luck, "it can't rain all the time." I'm surprised to see you, of all people, taking such an extreme position. I thought you apathetic Switzerland, eager to make light of the extremists on "both sides" of the issue.

Forever? Come now. Really??

For me I ask one simple question: does a coach excite in me a "reason to believe."

Petrino does, and did even in the midst of a losing season last year. DVH does as well. That's not to say that we won't have some years better than others, but that "reason to believe" will cause me to keep the faith even in the down years.

Pel does not excite in me a "reason to believe."

I really don't know that he does in many of us. I don't see many of us claiming that he's gonna be the next big name in coaching circles. I don't see many of us saying that he's the next Billy Donovan, for example.

What I read, even from those who support him, is more along the lines of, "Well, our program sucks and no one else would take the friggin' job, so we're just kind of stuck with one another. All we can do is hope."

That doesn't engender a whole bunch of confidence.         

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 12:04:24 am
What, we win two games and suddenly you come back out of the hole you've been hiding in for the last couple of weeks?

Pimp I've been here. You miss me?

Danny J

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 12:04:24 am
Trust me...hes been here.

Porkem

December 21, 2009, 12:33:54 am #26 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:38:59 am by Porkem Yung
A good buddy of mine called me last week and he said a caller on one of the radio shows had an analysis of Pelphrey that was the best he'd ever heard.

This caller explained that first off, you have to understand Pelphrey's background.  He comes from Kentucky (where basketball is a religion) and has overachieved his entire life.  No one can deny his passion for the game of basketball and no one can deny he was an extremely hard worker on the court as a player.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.  Because Pelphrey was passionate and overachieving, he expects that from his players.  Well, guess what?  Not all players are like that.  I'll use Joe Johnson as an example.  Unbelieveable talent and laid back demeanor.

Basically what this caller was saying, is that Pelpphrey can't coach great talent.  He doesn't know how.  He wants to get overachievers with passion, like him, but realisticly, you can't win in the SEC without talent.  You can't base your whole team on overachievers.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 21, 2009, 12:17:59 am
For me I ask one simple question: does a coach excite in me a "reason to believe."

Petrino does, and did even in the midst of a losing season last year. DVH does as well. That's not to say that we won't have some years better than others, but that "reason to believe" will cause me to keep the faith even in the down years.

Pel does not excite in me a "reason to believe."

I really don't know that he does in many of us. I don't see many of us claiming that he's gonna be the next big name in coaching circles. I don't see many of us saying that he's the next Billy Donovan, for example.

What I read, even from those who support him, is more along the lines of, "Well, our program sucks and no one else would take the friggin' job, so we're just kind of stuck with one another. All we can do is hope."

That doesn't engender a whole bunch of confidence.        

Isn't that true for every brand new coach that doesn't have/hasn't had immediate success?

There sure have been plenty of successful coaches who endured a lot of initial hardship before taking the next step forward.

Billy Donovan wasn't anything special until his 3rd season. He was just the former coach from Marshall his first two years at Florida.

Most everyone with any real investment in the world of college basketball seems to think highly of him. He's shown he can overcome major issues before, it just took him a few seasons to get things done his own way.

Have faith. One year + 1.5 months into our rebuild isn't the best time to throw up the white flag is it??

forrest city joe

Ouoted Hogfather.Have faith. One year + 1.5 months into our rebuild isn't the best time to throw up the white flag is it??
-----------------------------------------------------
Thats a lie, and you know it is. this guy has been here going on three years. the idea that the fist year does not count is a joke and an excuse.you and Jeff Long, must be brothers.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 21, 2009, 12:46:54 am
Isn't that true for every brand new coach that doesn't have/hasn't had immediate success?

There sure have been plenty of successful coaches who endured a lot of initial hardship before taking the next step forward.

Billy Donovan wasn't anything special until his 3rd season. He was just the former coach from Marshall his first two years at Florida.

Most everyone with any real investment in the world of college basketball seems to think highly of him. He's shown he can overcome major issues before, it just took him a few seasons to get things done his own way.

Have faith. One year + 1.5 months into our rebuild isn't the best time to throw up the white flag is it??
I am not sure recruiting in and out of state talent to florida is tantamount to doing the same at arkansas. People need to face the fact that out of all the sec schools we offer up the least amount of D1 talent. The only way to recruit big time recruits is to win and or hire a big name coach.

tiber

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 21, 2009, 12:53:58 am
Ouoted Hogfather.Have faith. One year + 1.5 months into our rebuild isn't the best time to throw up the white flag is it??
-----------------------------------------------------
Thats a lie, and you know it is. this guy has been here going on three years. the idea that the fist year does not count is a joke and an excuse.you and Jeff Long, must be brothers.

He wasn't directing that at you.  That was a wrap-up comment to complete a post directed towards people who do critical thinking, not continual critical yapping. 

jman

December 21, 2009, 01:07:32 am #31 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:12:54 am by jman
Most of my memory of hog basketball if from 1977 until now.  I always have watched the hogs.  Probably have not missed one televised game since the 1977 squad.  My memory is full of expectations, and the fact that we were always competitive even in our down years.  Over the past decade, the program has deteriorated into something I've personally never saw at Arkansas.  Its been very discouraging and to be honest, down right hard to stay as committed to the b-ball program as I have been for most of my life.  I keep thinking things will get better, but with each passing year, I'm afraid a bit of my loyalty is beginning to not really die, but its becoming complacent or maybe apathy would be a better word to describe it.  I have watched every televised game this year and I've been to BWA once.  But I find it harder and harder to sit down and take 2 hours out of my night or day to watch such pothetic performances by this basketball program.  I never thought I'd see a day where I didnt care about hog ball anymore, but I'm starting to fear that something of the sort is setting in on me.  At first (bout 2002) I was disappointed and believed we'd be back.  Then from 2005 until recently I've been angry with the program and have wanted to know why we cant seem to get it right.  Now its been so long since we amounted to anything that I'm beginning to not care and that is just a horrible feeling.  But when I think about how horrible it is and how I should try to stick with the hogs a bit longer, I just dont care and thats the sad part.  I've been a huge fan since the 70's....I remember the triplets...I remember US Reeds half court Louisville heart breaker.....I remember thinking....how will we bet Louisville, they have Dr. Dunk.  I've got great memories of a once storied program....but its been almost 10 years since we were significant.  Not sure how much long I can take this. I'm beginning to accept that we may never be any good again :-[ :( :'( :-\

Porkem

You know for me jman....what really hurts me the most?

The fans that accept losing.  The fans that sit politely in their seats at BWA and love Pelphrey to death.  That's what I hate.  The posters on here who want to give him more time because they're crazy about him.  They can't see he is hurting our program so much.

When I went to the game Saturday, I felt real sympathy for the players.  All the negativity they hear has got to be hard on them.  I  blame Pelphrey and I'm getting more and more irritated with Pel-lovers with each passing day.

You just wait.  Once these losses start to pile up...you're going to see more and more new members coming on Hogville and airing out their complaints.  It's going to get real ugly in here real soon.

Hawgon

The thing with Pelphrey is that one can't even tell what he is trying to do.  He has displayed just about zero ability to coach on the floor.  His teams don't do anything fundamentally sound.

So, what is there to build on?  If he is doing it his way, what is his way?  Articulate exactly what it is that Pelphrey does that gives anyone an actual reason to believe that he will be the man.  Give us something other than blind faith.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 21, 2009, 12:55:38 am
I am not sure recruiting in and out of state talent to florida is tantamount to doing the same at arkansas. People need to face the fact that out of all the sec schools we offer up the least amount of D1 talent. The only way to recruit big time recruits is to win and or hire a big name coach.

I wasn't really commenting on recruting to Florida, as there are quite a few prominent in-state schools there that haven't been able to figure out how to take what they have and make a perenial top 25 program out of it.

Miami, Florida St., South Florida, CFU,...and outside of Billy D's run and Lon Kruger's 2 good years, no other Florida team has been that fantastic over the past 20 years.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 09:24:33 am
The thing with Pelphrey is that one can't even tell what he is trying to do.  He has displayed just about zero ability to coach on the floor.  His teams don't do anything fundamentally sound.

So, what is there to build on?  If he is doing it his way, what is his way?  Articulate exactly what it is that Pelphrey does that gives anyone an actual reason to believe that he will be the man.  Give us something other than blind faith.

There's your problem. Simply because you don't understand, doesn't mean coaching doesn't exist. Perhaps you should call and ask to stop by and watch practice sometime. It's amazing to think that if Pel wasn't coaching worth a lick, how the heck do we have 5 wins?? Are the other teams we've beaten not getting any coaching either???

If the team isn't fundamentally sound, why the heck are we creating more TOs than we're giving up this year?? A lack of fundamentals would mean turnover after turnover after turnover...

Some of these complaints are simply astonishing.

Oliver

Wilson...I'm right there with you on the Pelphrey not giving me a reason to believe.  However, HA's response to it made me want to ask you about how you felt during Nolans first years.  Did he give you a reason to believe?  The reason I ask is because I've only ever been excited about one U of A coaching hire...Petrino.  And it's because I was too ignorant about college baseball to recognize Van Horn and I was about 3 when Nolan was hired.

WilsonHog

December 21, 2009, 09:59:54 am #37 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:01:25 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: Oliver Miller on December 21, 2009, 09:48:42 am
Wilson...I'm right there with you on the Pelphrey not giving me a reason to believe.  However, HA's response to it made me want to ask you about how you felt during Nolans first years.  Did he give you a reason to believe?  The reason I ask is because I've only ever been excited about one U of A coaching hire...Petrino.  And it's because I was too ignorant about college baseball to recognize Van Horn and I was about 3 when Nolan was hired.

Yeah, because I could see what he was trying to do in terms of style, and I could see some progress.

I was solidly behind Pel in his first year, because his team produced on the court and behaved pretty well off of it. I saw some fire and passion that had been missing for awhile. I saw Darian Townes go from being a player who checked it in from time to time to one who came to play every night, especially as the year went on.

Honestly, the losses last year weren't what bothered me the most. I'm a coach; I can take getting beat when kids leave everything they have on the field or court, give everything they have, and just get beat. That's part of growing and maturing. That's part of sports.

What I can't live with in a coach is lack of discipline, and I seem to like it less and less the older I get. My perception last season was that Pel lost the respect of his players, and that I cannot abide.

If what I see the rest of the season are a bunch of kids busting their tails, playing like a team, and well-representing the University off of the court - I can deal with the losses.

TNhawgfan

My first memories of Hog basketball are Day, Mayberry, and Miller. Growing up in TN and idolizing Nolan Richardson made me something of an oddity. But it was hog basketball that made me want to atend the U of A. It was watcing Corliss, Scotty, and company that got me to the Hill. And that's why this product makes me so sick to my stomach. If I had been born 20 years later, I would probably be a UT fan and not a diehard Hog. Say what you want but this team hurts in more areas than just BWA attendance.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawgon

Quote from: Oliver Miller on December 21, 2009, 09:48:42 am

I'm not even going to respond to Hawgadvocate.  He is too stupid to even comprehend most things.  But, I'll answer your question about Nolan.

Nolan's first year was very tough.  His style of play was drastically different than Eddie's and different from just about anyone else's either.  To those of us raised on traditional basketball, it didn't make much sense.

By his second year, we began to see some improvement and it began to make sense.  Nolan was a master at teaching his brand of defense.  His teams gave up open looks to the basket and ran very little halfcourt offense in order to speed up the tempo and create turnover in the fullcourt press.  By the end of his second year, not everyone liked his style of ball, but people could at least see what he was trying to do.  It was Loyola Marymount with defense.

Then, before his third year, he got Oliver Miller, Todd Day, and Lee Maybery in the same recruiting class.  Now, today that would look like a recruiting homerun, but remember they weren't that highly rated.  Oh, everyone knew they were good, but I don't know if anyone appreciated that they would be program changers.  No, Nolan went out and found guys who could play his system.  And it that 3rd year, it was off to the races and 40 Minutes of Hell was born. 

The point is, from Day 1, Nolan said we are going to run, run, and run some more.  He implemented his system.  He got the players to run it.  When it didn't work, he stuck with it.  When his players didn't execute, he drilled them some more.  When the fans got tough, he stuck to his guns.  And by his third year, there were definate results.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 10:10:03 am
I'm not even going to respond to Hawgadvocate.  He is too stupid to even comprehend most things. 

Ahhhh but you just did respond to me, just indirectly.

Come on Hawgon, don't be that way. If you're going to insult me, at least take me task over what I say, and enlighten me as to how your keen eye (from your recliner) is able to ascertain the novel idea that when Pel is yelling instruction to his players, he's really only transmitting various forms of pleasing phonetic gibberish to his young team and not actually doing any coaching at all.

Hawgon

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 21, 2009, 10:25:30 am
Ahhhh but you just did respond to me, just indirectly.

Come on Hawgon, don't be that way. If you're going to insult me, at least take me task over what I say, and enlighten me as to how your keen eye (from your recliner) is able to ascertain the novel idea that when Pel is yelling instruction to his players, he's really only transmitting various forms of pleasing phonetic gibberish to his young team and not actually doing any coaching at all.

If you're definition of coaching is merely to have a "coach" stand over by the bench and yell instructions at players, then I submit that we are drastically over paying Pelphrey.  I'm sure there are a hundred people in Fayettevill alone that would do it for one tenth of the money.

thirtythree

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 10:38:28 am
If you're definition of coaching is merely to have a "coach" stand over by the bench and yell instructions at players, then I submit that we are drastically over paying Pelphrey.  I'm sure there are a hundred people in Fayettevill alone that would do it for one tenth of the money.

I only watched on TV. What I did see was during timeouts he was coaching and the kids were paying attention. There were even kids that wanted clarification to what he was saying.

There are different levels of coaching styles. Ones style may not be for another. I'm sure there are a lot of us who would do a lot of things differently. The thing is, we aren't the ones doing the job though.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 10:38:28 am

I'm sorry, did I state my definition of coaching was to "merely to have a "coach" stand over by the bench and yell instructions at players?" Of course not.

But for those of you who wish to question his coaching ability, I'm wondering where these coaching critique skills come from. If you're going to consistently attack him over this aspect of the season, then one would think you'd have some detailed analysis (aka filler) to go with your diatribe.

Otherwise, you pose the risk of truly painting yourself as the true armchair coach I'm accusing you of being.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 21, 2009, 10:07:21 am
My first memories of Hog basketball are Day, Mayberry, and Miller. Growing up in TN and idolizing Nolan Richardson made me something of an oddity. But it was hog basketball that made me want to atend the U of A. It was watcing Corliss, Scotty, and company that got me to the Hill. And that's why this product makes me so sick to my stomach. If I had been born 20 years later, I would probably be a UT fan and not a diehard Hog. Say what you want but this team hurts in more areas than just BWA attendance.
My first memories of Hog basketball are Moncrief, Brewer, Delph, Counce and Schall. It was a thing of beauty to watch them play together, on both ends of the court. Worked the ball, made their shots, played excellent defense. A ton of steals and fast break points. I'll never forget a game at Barton, think it was against Rice. Moncrief or Brewer stole the ball around the top of the key and they passed it back and forth and one of them dunked it without the ball ever being dribbled the entire lenth of the court. Show me two players who could or would do that today.

What the Hogs do on the court now doesn't even resemble basketball. The game has lost itself somehow.

As for the next 4 games, I predicted 2 games ago that the Hogs would go no better than 2-4. Get ready for 0-4 over the next 4 games.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hawgon

QuoteBut for those of you who wish to question his coaching ability, I'm wondering where these coaching critique skills come from. If you're going to consistently attack him over this aspect of the season, then one would think you'd have some detailed analysis (aka filler) to go with your diatribe.

I've said this a hundred times, a coach can be judged by what his teams do and don't do on the court. 

Our team plays consistantly bad defense.  Nearly every team we play has a career night shooting three pointers.  That is bad coaching.

In three years, Michael Washington still has not been taught a drop step.  Since that could be accomplished in one practice, that is bad coaching.

In two years, we still have no clue how to get Rotnei Clarke open for three point looks at the basket.  That is bad coaching.

Our players display absolutely no inclination to block out.  That is bad coaching.

We have no basic understanding of using the pass to create open shots.  We would rather dribble around than pass the ball.  That is bad coaching.

We appear to have no cohesive offensive philosophy.  That is bad coaching.

We appear to have no defensive philosophy.  That is bad coaching.

For most of the year in most games we have constantly been outworked and outhustled on the floor.  That is bad coaching.

I could go on, but I'm sure it will make absolutely no difference to you.

HawgAdvocate

December 21, 2009, 11:22:01 am #46 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:24:07 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 10:57:13 am
I've said this a hundred times, a coach can be judged by what his teams do and don't do on the court. 

Our team plays consistantly bad defense.  Nearly every team we play has a career night shooting three pointers.  That is bad coaching.

Not true. MVSU made 4/19 treys, Bama St. made 6/23, SFA made 7/15 (we even shot better than they did), Delaware St. made 6/16, USA made 5/11, and Apalachain St made 10/24 (OT game)...only Louisville and Morgan St had exceptional, "career" games behind the arc. And whatever you do, don't look at how well our defense has fared against 2pt FGs..you will be dissapointed.

In three years, Michael Washington still has not been taught a drop step.  Since that could be accomplished in one practice, that is bad coaching.

And how is it you know he hasn't been taught the drop step? Perhaps he doesn't prefer the move. In case you didn't notice, Wash gets most of his touches at the high post or off offensive rebound/putbacks. He seems to be doing very well without using it over and over an over as you prefer.

In two years, we still have no clue how to get Rotnei Clarke open for three point looks at the basket.  That is bad coaching.

Not true. They do run screens for him. They just don't make a point to run play after play after play for him that eats up the shot clock. We're an uptempo team, remember?

Our players display absolutely no inclination to block out.  That is bad coaching.
I will say our guards don't rebound as well as they should, but our bigs do know how to block out. When we only have a 3 man rotation in the paint, which we've had thanks to injuries and suspensions, it's hard to expect them to be relentless on the boards for 40 minutes.

We have no basic understanding of using the pass to create open shots.  We would rather dribble around than pass the ball.  That is bad coaching.
New team, new offense, takes time to instinctively know where to be at all times. Besides, I think this point of yours is grossly overstated.

We appear to have no cohesive offensive philosophy.  That is bad coaching.
Vague, armchair coach complaint

We appear to have no defensive philosophy.  That is bad coaching.
See above

For most of the year in most games we have constantly been outworked and outhustled on the floor.  That is bad coaching.
Total BS...our kids have played their hearts at almost every game. The Lousiville game was as bad as it got, and they only let up towards the end when they were down by so much.

I could go on, but I'm sure it will make absolutely no difference to you.

And the funny thing is, you didn't back any of your claims with stats or raw data to support your (mostly vague) claims. I'd hate for ErieHog to see this post and take you to task. I believe he keeps up with that stuff.

Hawgon

You truly are an idiot.  I could respond to your post, but why bother.  Instead, I just ask this question.  Show me one specific example of good coaching?  Just one.

WilsonHog

I'm curious; how does calling someone who you disagree with an "idiot" add to he quality of discussion?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawgon on December 21, 2009, 11:33:21 am
You truly are an idiot.  I could respond to your post, but why bother.  Instead, I just ask this question.  Show me one specific example of good coaching?  Just one.

Ha!  Great response.