Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Free Upgrade for Windows 10

Started by HawgWild, June 01, 2015, 02:46:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Got my notification today. Looks like a good offer since it's only free for a limited time and this is the full version, nothing left out. Anyone else upgrading to 10?

BTW - I currently have the Windows 7 64 bit Professional version. I didn't see whether or not this was a 32 or 64 bit version. Anyone know this? What would I lose if it is 32 bit?

TIA

cubsfan5150

Did you get the notification through email?
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

majestic

Quote from: HawgWild on June 01, 2015, 02:46:35 pm
Got my notification today. Looks like a good offer since it's only free for a limited time and this is the full version, nothing left out. Anyone else upgrading to 10?

BTW - I currently have the Windows 7 64 bit Professional version. I didn't see whether or not this was a 32 or 64 bit version. Anyone know this? What would I lose if it is 32 bit?

TIA

You can get either.  Check your specs to be sure you have what you need:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

HawgWild

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on June 01, 2015, 03:16:05 pm
Did you get the notification through email?

Nope, there was a new icon on the toolbar across the bottom of my screen after I booted up this morning. It's the Windows pane (4 squares) but all white.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: HawgWild on June 01, 2015, 03:36:56 pm
Nope, there was a new icon on the toolbar across the bottom of my screen after I booted up this morning. It's the Windows pane (4 squares) but all white.

Sweet, nothing to look for then.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

HawgWild

Quote from: majestic on June 01, 2015, 03:18:53 pm
You can get either.  Check your specs to be sure you have what you need:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

Do I have to have this graphics card?  Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

TomasPistola

I signed up for it. You're not required to install it immediately. I plan to wait a few days to see what is broken and then decide to install.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

majestic

Quote from: HawgWild on June 01, 2015, 03:55:08 pm
Do I have to have this graphics card?  Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Your graphics card will need to support Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver, yes.

majestic

Quote from: TomasPistola on June 01, 2015, 04:10:31 pm
I signed up for it. You're not required to install it immediately. I plan to wait a few days to see what is broken and then decide to install.
Always a good idea. I'm not an early adopter of Windows releases. I had XP running on 2/3 of my home machines until about 8 months ago. I'm only running 8.1 because I couldn't get 7 on the new machines I ordered.

TomasPistola

Quote from: majestic on June 02, 2015, 04:28:54 pm
Always a good idea. I'm not an early adopter of Windows releases. I had XP running on 2/3 of my home machines until about 8 months ago. I'm only running 8.1 because I couldn't get 7 on the new machines I ordered.

I really feel like 7 was the sweet spot for PC's. But I understand why MS did 8 and 8.1 and now eventually 10. They had to unify their OS for mobile and for PC. It's actually smart thinking from the people that brought you Windows ME and Vista.
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Doug

Quote from: HawgWildBTW - I currently have the Windows 7 64 bit Professional version. I didn't see whether or not this was a 32 or 64 bit version. Anyone know this? What would I lose if it is 32 bit?
Since no one has answered this yet, I will.

Beginning with Windows 10 (and Server 2012), there will be no more releases of 32 bit operating systems from Microsoft. Everything will be 64 bit for the next few years, until the next generation of hardware coming out starts supporting 128 bit.

Those of you without 64 bit systems will not be able to run Windows 10. If you're on 32 bit Windows, you probably won't get the notification, either.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

majestic

Quote from: Doug on June 03, 2015, 04:56:47 am

Beginning with Windows 10 (and Server 2012), there will be no more releases of 32 bit operating systems from Microsoft. Everything will be 64 bit for the next few years, until the next generation of hardware coming out starts supporting 128 bit.

Those of you without 64 bit systems will not be able to run Windows 10. If you're on 32 bit Windows, you probably won't get the notification, either.
That's not what the MS link I posted says.... unless I can't read :)

Doug

Quote from: majesticThat's not what the MS link I posted says.... unless I can't read :)
Wow... that's a drastic shift from what I was told about Windows 10.

I stand corrected.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogfaniam

Hi. My name is Bill Gates and today, I will be teaching you how to count to ten:

1, 2, 3, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HawgWild

The "free" upgrade starts Wednesday. Apparently it's only free for a year and then you have to pay for it. You can confirm your PC's compatibility by clicking on the Windows icon on your toolbar and then the three stacked dashes in the upper left hand corner. It'll show you if your processor, memory apps, etc. are OK. I guess they'll disclose more information on the cost when/if you download.

HawgWild

grayhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on July 27, 2015, 08:07:19 am
The "free" upgrade starts Wednesday. Apparently it's only free for a year and then you have to pay for it. You can confirm your PC's compatibility by clicking on the Windows icon on your toolbar and then the three stacked dashes in the upper left hand corner. It'll show you if your processor, memory apps, etc. are OK. I guess they'll disclose more information on the cost when/if you download.
If you wait a year to install you have to pay for it, they will never charge you for the free version. That is how I read it.

Doug

You have a year to install it... but do register for the free upgrade at any time.

I would STRONGLY suggest that people wait at LEAST 3-4 months before installing this.

Remember all the problems people had when they rushed RIGHT out to upgrade to Windows 8 the second it came out? Yeah, I do too.

Right along those lines... if you are having an issue on Hogville, Fearless or GH and you've installed Windows 10, I will not provide any support until after the first major round of bug updates for Windows 10 has been released.

In addition, absolutely NO support will be provided for Microsoft Edge (new browser replacing IE) until further notice. Thankfully, Microsoft will allow Edge to default back to IE, as needed, automatically.

I have not had a chance to ascertain how the site will behave in Edge, and how Edge handles standards compliant web development/HTML.
--Doug

grayhawg

I wonder if you can use firefox or google chrome?

Doug

Gray, absolutely. It would be a legal issue if Windows 10 prevented other browsers from being used. Mozilla, Apple, Opera, etc al would have grounds to sue on anti-trust issues... and would win.
--Doug

TomasPistola

Quote from: HawgWild on July 30, 2015, 01:44:14 pm
Did anyone install 10?

Rolling updates. Haven't gotten word on it yet. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and install once it's out. I have been considering a clean install and I just purchased a new SSD to run the OS on anyways.
You were right.
You did a great job.

grayhawg

Up and running and so far I'm impressed, Microsoft edge no problems so far on HV

HawgWild

Still running OK? I'm getting prompts from Windows for me to upgrade.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HawgWild on July 30, 2015, 01:44:14 pm
Did anyone install 10?

I have on one of my test boxes. I like it just fine so far, but I haven't put it through its paces yet. Just exploring the gui.

I really like the "tablet mode" feature. And "Edge" seems to be pretty decent, actually.

TomasPistola

I've got it downloaded to a USB stick. Planning on an install this weekend maybe. I'm working on a website for my church right now and don't want to take chances on something going wrong.
You were right.
You did a great job.

HawgWild

I agree. That is a little creepy about MS using your pc to update others on the Internet.

On the other, I think it is every vendor's goal to get users set up for recurring charges directly drawn from their bank or credit card.

Warbirdhog

Quote from: zsanfusa on August 07, 2015, 08:33:46 pm
Anyone who installed Windows 10 check your advanced Update Settings.  Go to the search bar and type settings, select it, the select Updates and Security.  Click on the "Advanced Options" link.  Next page click on "Choose how updates are delivered".  I think most will agree that this one was pretty sneaky of MS, and may want to adjust there settings accordingly.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-silently-uses-your-bandwidth-to-send-updates-to-others/

Personally I don't like sharing with the general public.  It probably shouldn't bother me, but it give me the heebee jeebees.

Plus I don't think anyone will like MS's new plan to make windows a monthly service and not a traditional OS.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/30/microsoft-details-windows-10-as-a-service/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/rising_and_ongoing_cost_of_windows/?page=1

Thanks for the word on that. Read those the other day, just installed 10 then went to settings and turned off everything that resembled use of my pc or bandwith by ms or anyone else. They keep jackin around and I'm going to apple next time.

Augustus

Another "upgrade" that MS saw fit to include is the "WiFi sense"... which allows you to share your WiFi network password (in encrypted form) with your "friends"/"contacts"... to make it easier for them to connect to your home/work wifi without you actually giving or typing the WiFi password for them.

I'm not really crazy about this, but it really won't affect me much, either.  And, there are ways to disable it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/219700/what-is-wi-fi-sense-and-why-does-it-want-your-facebook-account/

As Doug and others have mentioned, sign up for it, but definitely wait a good few months until the "kinks" are worked out.

Also, in addition to making sure your PC hardware is supported?  Make sure any "special" software you have is also supported... stuff like Quickbooks, Symantec PGP disk encryption software, heck even your printers/scanners & it's native software.

TomasPistola

I turned off all the Windows tracking crap. No ill effects.

ESET users - Be aware of an issue that can cause your computer to not boot up. If you are going to make the move to Windows 10, I recommend uninstalling ESET and then installing the newest version of it after the upgrade.
You were right.
You did a great job.

HawgWild

I upgraded a couple of days ago. It's OK, speeded up my system a tad. Microsoft Edge isn't working well for me. I'm unable to log into any user name/password web page, except Hogville. I enter all my information and either get redirected back to the same screen or to one that says "Error" or some other type message. I then open with IE and everything works just fine.

mckinneyhog5

I've upgraded to 10 and all I can say is anything is better then 8.1.  8.1 could single handily be the worst product MS has ever released.  I only had one computer with 8.1 installed and basically quit using it because of the OS.  Now that I have upgraded to 10 I plan on using it a lot more.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

arkmark

I upgraded to 10 about 6 week ago.  Two weeks later my PC crashed.  I had turned on the PC and opened windows live mail.  I received a message that mail could not open due to a missing dll file.  I closed mail and went to open edge.  I immediately got a blue screen with the 10 4 pane icon centered and this message at the bottom of the screen, "Preparing Automatic repair".  Shortly after the message became, "Diagonosing your PC".  Shortly after that the message, "Your PC did not start correctly"  Nothing after that.
I did a restart and got the same blue screen, the icon, and the three messages in succession.  That was all I had left.
A local guru was able to retrieve my work and excel work but was unable to get 10 to work.  We scrubbed the drive and used the restore program I had put on a thumb drive when I bought the PC with 7 on it which is how I operate it now.  Maybe I should have waited a few months to upgrade to 10.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Doug on June 03, 2015, 04:56:47 am

That would explain why Mrs. Longtime gets her update notifications on her laptop and I don't on my desktop. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HawgWild

That was a huge Windows 10 update last night. Took almost 2 hours to get everything updated on my pc this morning.

hawgrunner

I upgraded from WIN7 64bit to WIN10 64bit 2 weeks ago and so far everything has been running great, programs and all. So just keeping my fingers cross the upgrade holds.

Doug

Just an FYI, I'm still running Windows 7 in the house, and we have no plans to upgrade to 10. We're even advocating to family members to not upgrade at this time.
--Doug

hawgrunner

Quote from: Doug on March 26, 2016, 06:48:50 am
Just an FYI, I'm still running Windows 7 in the house, and we have no plans to upgrade to 10. We're even advocating to family members to not upgrade at this time.

What do you see the down falls are?

Doug

Many people, my wife and I included, have programs that will break on the Windows 10 update. Some of the programs I use are not compatible with Windows 10, and are not as actively developed (or even in development, at all) anymore. For my wife and I, these programs are central to our day to day work tasks.
--Doug

majestic

Quote from: Doug on March 26, 2016, 05:34:59 pm
Many people, my wife and I included, have programs that will break on the Windows 10 update. Some of the programs I use are not compatible with Windows 10, and are not as actively developed (or even in development, at all) anymore. For my wife and I, these programs are central to our day to day work tasks.
So you have a problem with old programs, not Win10. There are some actual things I don't care for in 10.  For example, any time you want to attach a file in Outlook, it will default to the last file you opened, instead of the file directory. I'm sure this can be changed, but I haven't tried to figure it out yet.

hawgrunner

Quote from: majestic on March 26, 2016, 06:16:19 pm
So you have a problem with old programs, not Win10. There are some actual things I don't care for in 10.  For example, any time you want to attach a file in Outlook, it will default to the last file you opened, instead of the file directory. I'm sure this can be changed, but I haven't tried to figure it out yet.

Wouldn't that be an Outlook issue?

majestic

Quote from: hawgrunner on March 26, 2016, 07:04:04 pm
Wouldn't that be an Outlook issue?
Perhaps, but it only started after upgrading to 10.

hawgrunner

Quote from: majestic on March 26, 2016, 07:22:37 pm
Perhaps, but it only started after upgrading to 10.

What Outlook version you using? I just upgrade to "MS Office Pro. 2016"

majestic

Quote from: hawgrunner on March 26, 2016, 07:32:01 pm
What Outlook version you using? I just upgrade to "MS Office Pro. 2016"
Don't know right now.... work computer. I'll check on Monday.

TomasPistola

Really had zero problems with 10 except the virus scanner issue at the beginning which has been fine since. Solid OS IMO.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Großer Kriegschwein

Upgraded to Windows 10 last week.

PC is a little dated but still pretty fast. May need to upgrade my processor once I figure out what all is compatible.

Home built System:

AMD FX 8350 8-Core
8gb RAM
ASUS MB
2tb solid state x2

Windows 10 is a little different (I upgraded from 7). But runs just fine for me in 64bit mode. Seems very stable.

This is my non-signature signature.

GolfNut57

Just got the notification to upgrade to windows10 today when I got my laptop out to charge it up and let it update. Not sure if I want to do the upgrade or not. Windows7 is still running fine as far as I can tell. Saw the claims about it being free but you must reserve it and then install when it comes out on July 29th. Curious as to why I haven't gotten any such notification on the desktop though?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TomasPistola

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 05, 2016, 05:50:24 pm
Just got the notification to upgrade to windows10 today when I got my laptop out to charge it up and let it update. Not sure if I want to do the upgrade or not. Windows7 is still running fine as far as I can tell. Saw the claims about it being free but you must reserve it and then install when it comes out on July 29th. Curious as to why I haven't gotten any such notification on the desktop though?

Make sure your desktop is updated all the way. I didn't get the notification until I was all the way updated in 7.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Doug

Quote from: GolfNut57Just got the notification to upgrade to windows10 today when I got my laptop out to charge it up and let it update. Not sure if I want to do the upgrade or not. Windows7 is still running fine as far as I can tell. Saw the claims about it being free but you must reserve it and then install when it comes out on July 29th. Curious as to why I haven't gotten any such notification on the desktop though?
If any part of your system (desktop or laptop) doesn't support one of the features of Windows 10, you won't get the update notification. It's entirely possible one of your hardware components doesn't support the latest and greatest Windows.

FYI, I've made the decision to not upgrade any of our systems to Windows 10. Windows 7 will continue to be supported for at least the next 4 years or so... so by the time it's no longer supported, we'll be on brand new even BEEFIER systems... we'll make the jump then.
--Doug

hawgrunner

I've had WIN10 for a few months now and the memory management needs work so make sure you have a lot. 

Augustus

I upgraded a bargain basement laptop of mine from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and so far haven't been disappointed.  I only did it because I am being asked by a local business to upgrade their Windows 8 laptops to Win 10 "before the upgrade is no longer free" ...(against my recommendation). And, wanted the experience.

And, I mean the laptop I upgraded was REALLY bargain basement: it was a Black Friday $199 special at Wal-Mart, I bought for my daughter in 2010.
HP laptop, running:
- Intel Celeron (single core) CPU - 2.2 Ghz
- 3 MB RAM

But, so far so good.  In-place upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 kept all of my documents (but always backup before you do something like this).

The only issues I've found so far:
- The touchpad for the laptop, reverted back to the "scrolling direction" for top to bottom scrolling... meaning the touchpad scroll motion functions more like a smartphone/iPad than traditional laptop scrolling.  It may be a case of the 6 year old hardware & lack of drivers for the Synaptics Touchpad, to be able to "reverse" the scrolling direction.  But it still allows 2-finger scroll and other touchpad features.
-  The CPU ramps up when I'm streaming video, but it also always did that running Windows 7.  I think that's more of an issue with the limited hardware this laptop has.

If your computer has a dual core CPU, and 4-8 GB RAM, I personally don't think you should see any performance issues.

As Doug & others have noted, just make sure your hardware & software is compatible. If you run an in-place upgrade through the Microsoft Update notification, it will go through a wizard to check it for you.

About software compatibility:
- I was worried the HP "system health" software they installed on the laptop build would not be compatible. I usually keep it disabled anyway, so it doesn't eat up CPU/RAM... but it was compatible.  YMMV

- Specifically, one piece of software that I was worried about:  Macromedia Fireworks from 2002  (it's basically a version of Adobe PhotoShop, before Adobe bought Macromedia out).  I learned this software in College, and have always had a licensed copy, to no reason for me to buy Adobe PhotoShop or learn GIMP or another tool. It does what I need.

I specifically un-installed the software before the upgrade, to re-install afterwards to check compatibility.  No problems. Works just fine.

Seems like Windows 10 is more like Windows 7 (in terms of compatibility), with a bit of Windows 8 user interface mixed in.  There is a learning curve & nuances, but nothing that's a deal breaker.

As Doug mentioned, I have a home-built desktop running Windows 7 that's probably 6 years old but still runs like a beast... I won't be updating that.  I only did this upgrade for experience & learning curve, as I'm being asked to do others.