Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Boys In the Bigs

Started by clutch, May 24, 2016, 09:51:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Former Sylvan Hills High School and UALR pitcher Ashur Tolliver got his first major league call up last night with the Orioles. He is joining the team in Houston today for his MLB debut. Tolliver has pitched in 155 minor league games over the past 7 years. He's paid his dues and earned this opportunity.

Also, former A-State pitcher Daniel Wright is getting his first MLB start today for the Reds.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: clutch on May 24, 2016, 09:51:10 am
Former Hogworld, Sylvan Hills High School and UALR pitcher Ashur Tolliver got his first major league call up last night with the Orioles. He is joining the team in Houston today for his MLB debut. Tolliver has pitched in 155 minor league games over the past 7 years. He's paid his dues and earned this opportunity.

Also, former A-State pitcher Daniel Wright is getting his first MLB start today for the Reds.

FIFY. 

My son called me Tuesday to tell me about it.  I think he was as excited as Ashur must have been.  I hope he gets to stay in the Show for awhile.  Great kid.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 26, 2016, 03:28:41 pm
FIFY. 

My son called me Tuesday to tell me about it.  I think he was as excited as Ashur must have been.  I hope he gets to stay in the Show for awhile.  Great kid.

He definitely deserves it. Great guy. He's battled through a lot of injuries to get to this point. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: clutch on May 26, 2016, 04:10:53 pm
He definitely deserves it. Great guy. He's battled through a lot of injuries to get to this point.

He made his debut tonight coming out to pitch the sixth inning vs Houston. His line for the game was 1.1 innings and tallied 1 walk with 3 K's. He threw 28 pitches with 17 for strikes.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Looked good. Touched 96 with the fastball but hung around 94-95 with most of them. Slider was nasty. Had a good looking change-up too. Got Rasmus, his first batter, to swing in miss 3 times in 4 pitches. Showed the ability to get both right and left handed hitters out which will be huge for his chances to stick around for a while.

Had to be a pleasant surprise for Orioles management. The guy he is replacing, Brian Matusz, was topping out around 87-88 and he was getting $4 million.

GolfNut57

Well tonight Tolliver got his 0.00 ERA dented a little in his third appearance. The first batter he faced in the 8th inning laced a solo HR over the RF fence in Baltimore. Wouldn't you know it, the batter would be David Ortiz of Boston. Actually Tolliver was facing Ortiz with 2 out in the seventh and a runner on first base but the runner was caught stealing second during the at-bat to end the inning. So Tolliver was sent back out to start the eighth and face Ortiz again lefty on lefty and paid the price for a slider that caught too much of the plate. But Ashur shouldn't feel alone. Ortiz has done that to many a rookie pitcher over his career. Welcome to the big league kid!
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 31, 2016, 01:38:21 am
Well tonight Tolliver got his 0.00 ERA dented a little in his third appearance. The first batter he faced in the 8th inning laced a solo HR over the RF fence in Baltimore. Wouldn't you know it, the batter would be David Ortiz of Boston. Actually Tolliver was facing Ortiz with 2 out in the seventh and a runner on first base but the runner was caught stealing second during the at-bat to end the inning. So Tolliver was sent back out to start the eighth and face Ortiz again lefty on lefty and paid the price for a slider that caught too much of the plate. But Ashur shouldn't feel alone. Ortiz has done that to many a rookie pitcher over his career. Welcome to the big league kid!

clutch and I have a sort of vested interest in hoping Ashur does well.  clutch played youth baseball with him on a pretty salty tournament team back in the mid '90s.  My son played on his league team a couple of years and I actually helped coach his team when he was 10.  We all knew he was something special back then; he pitched over 50 innings that year and walked 2 batters.  I'm good friends with his dad and so is my son. 

Kinda neat.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 03, 2016, 05:26:22 pm
clutch and I have a sort of vested interest in hoping Ashur does well.  clutch played youth baseball with him on a pretty salty tournament team back in the mid '90s.  My son played on his league team a couple of years and I actually helped coach his team when he was 10.  We all knew he was something special back then; he pitched over 50 innings that year and walked 2 batters.  I'm good friends with his dad and so is my son. 

Kinda neat.

He got optioned to Triple A Wednesday. He only had that one game where he gave up any runs. Hopefully he will get another chance soon.