Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of having a litter of Shorthairs

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, April 15, 2015, 11:33:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

April 15, 2015, 11:33:13 am Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:02:58 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Maddie, my 5-year old shorthair is getting to the point of needing to have a litter of puppies. (if for no other reason than I need another female to keep my breeding stock high). Anyone have any guesses about how hard they will be to sell? This isn't an ad by any means, I just don't want to get stuck with 8 GSPs.

Maddie has an unrestricted registration with AKC. Born on a ranch outside of Colorado Springs and trained by the breeder (upland game bird). He is staunch on point and a natural retriever. I haven't even tried to teach her "force retrieve" but I'm sure she would pick up on it after a few weeks.

Some of her siblings are pretty good duck retrievers.

This is my non-signature signature.

hoghappy

I have no doubt that you could have them sold before they were weened. I would be interested in one of the males.

twistitup

Shorthair pointer? 20 years ago they would have flown, but with no quail to speak of - all bets are off. Are pointers good pets? My grandad had a kennel / training operation in S Texas back in the day - pointers were a hot commodity for hunting dogs. He never kept one inside the house....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoghappy

They are great pets. They are easier to train (house and yard) than Labs.

twistitup

Quote from: hoghappy on April 15, 2015, 11:50:09 am
They are great pets. They are easier to train (house and yard) than Labs.

Beautiful dogs, that's for sure
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Großer Kriegschwein

DeltaBoy

Solid dogs but with the decline in Quail I would have no need of one.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2015, 01:45:05 pm
Solid dogs but with the decline in Quail I would have no need of one.

They are Versatile Gun Dogs (classification). The Germans being masters of all things canine, somehow was able to design a dog that pretty much does it all.

They can be taught to track deer, hunt quail chukar pheasant woodcock and just about anything else with feathers, retrieve ducks (the were designed with webbed feet).

Solid breed. But I guess I'm an owner with about $2800 in my dog (buy-price, training & kennel fee, and the occasional refresher camps and trips).

Jeremy T

My brother has 4 which we take to KS and SD each year. Just because there is no quail here doesn't mean there's not a demand for them. We've sold 2 litters in the past 3 yrs. i'm sure you can sell them quick. They make good pets so long as you have a place for them to run.

DeltaBoy

Yep they will sale.  Quality Puppies always do.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 02:59:45 pm
They are Versatile Gun Dogs (classification). The Germans being masters of all things canine, somehow was able to design a dog that pretty much does it all.

They can be taught to track deer, hunt quail chukar pheasant woodcock and just about anything else with feathers, retrieve ducks (the were designed with webbed feet).

Solid breed. But I guess I'm an owner with about $2800 in my dog (buy-price, training & kennel fee, and the occasional refresher camps and trips).

I've got an Air Force buddy in West Virginia that's had GSP's since we were stationed in the UP of Michigan in the mid 80's. He bought his first one up there with a signature loan from the Armed Services Credit Union for something like $800. (That was more than a month's pay at the time.) He's promised me first pick of the next litter his bitch throws, free of charge.

That's a friend!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker