Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I really appreciate Daniel Gafford but I was astounded by this quote:

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, March 17, 2018, 03:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkiesAtNightHog

"I wasn't focused," Gafford said. "I came out and thought it was going to be an easy game.
"So I had to adjust, and it was too late."

How can you not be totally prepared and focused for the very first NCAA tournament game of
your life? 

How can you not be aware of the recent history and success of Butler basketball in the NCAA tournament? 

A 19 year old kid should be so fired up to play he can taste it!

I have always liked Coach Mike Anderson, but did he really have his guys ready to play based on that Daniel Gafford quote?

rhames

Reaching here. Kid was emotional and blaming himself. Not sure much can be taken away from interviews after a tough loss. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

I read that, and he couldn't have really believed that. "I just thought it was going to be an easy game"?

phadedhawg

Quote from: rhames on March 17, 2018, 03:36:09 pm
Reaching here. Kid was emotional and blaming himself. Not sure much can be taken away from interviews after a tough loss. 

Yep, I agree. 

Daniel shouldn't beat himself up too much and I give him credit for admitting it.  Nobody took Butler serious and they out hustled and played harder.  We had their attention but they never really had ours. 

Also, when it's a tough game a lot of our senior leaders kind of fade away.  For this Arkansas team to win everything has to go well.  It has to come easy and be fun.  If it gets hard we have a lot of kids who are out there feeling sorry for themselves and not fighting back.

Dwight_K_Shrute

19 year old kids make mistakes, take things for granted, often think they know better, and take time to learn.  Doesn't matter whether you are superstar athlete, a genius, or just an average kid.  A lot of learning that goes on in college whether on or off the field happens because of mistakes.  Those mistakes can be physical or mental.

The fact that a 19 year old kid thought he could handle a situation or didn't take it seriously enough should come as a surprise to absolutely no one if you have spent any time with kids this age or remember what it was like being his age. 

The surprise should be that the kid admitted it and owned it.  Most especially athletes would not.  They would say yes I was focused but.... and make up some other excuse for it.  He did not.  He was brutally honest about himself even when it would not reflect well on him.  Makes me like him more.  Realizing that he made a mistake in that regard and admitting it is a big step in correcting it and making sure it doesn't happen again.  Heres hoping he stays and builds on what he learned.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

3kgthog

When your coach doesn't believe in watching tape of the opponent or preparing for them in some way, what do you think your mindset would be? "We just worry about our game..." Stupid.

Those guys had no idea what they were walking into and I suspect that's one reason why they get blown out a lot. They don't know what to expect coming in and they are done after that first punch to the face.

alohawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 17, 2018, 03:50:41 pm
When your coach doesn't believe in watching tape of the opponent or preparing for them in some way, what do you think your mindset would be? "We just worry about our game..." Stupid.

Those guys had no idea what they were walking into and I suspect that's one reason why they get blown out a lot. They don't know what to expect coming in and they are done after that first punch to the face.

I guess it falls on the players to do youtube opponent study. Color me not surprised or surprised if the whole team was caught off guard. Just wingin' it, streetball style.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Marshfieldhog

This!

Coaches had a major fail prepping for this game. Very disappointing when we had some talent this year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on March 17, 2018, 03:31:40 pm
"I wasn't focused," Gafford said. "I came out and thought it was going to be an easy game.

How can you not be totally prepared and focused for the very first NCAA tournament game of
your life? 

How can you not be aware of the recent history and success of Butler basketball in the NCAA tournament? 

I have always liked Coach Mike Anderson, but did he really have his guys ready to play based on that Daniel Gafford quote?

This is why I believe he's coming back. The NBA will eat this kids confidence up and he'll be out the NBA by year 4. I don't think he's mentally prepared for the league.

Pumbaa

I understand what you're saying but I find it hard to believe they don't ever watch film of their opponent. I think the "we just worry about our game.." statement is more like we want to play our game and make our opponent adjust rather than us being the ones who have to adjust. They were in no way done after the first punch yesterday. They came back and took the lead in the first half no less after being down 21-2 early.

King Kong

This is one of the reason you see experienced teams beat more talent teams in the Tournament like

Mercer over Duke.

Tejano Jawg

I think you're right. Maybe it was just something for him to say.

History has proved there are way too many examples of the "wild and unexplained" happening in this tournament. If Anderson didn't have our team prepared strategically, okay, I'll buy that. But there's no way he would have given off the feeling we'd have it made in the shade. Is there??...I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Individually, maybe some players took Butler lighter than they should have. If so, it's their own fault, because they should know what can happen. A lesser team can beat a better team just by getting one favorable tip or roll.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AflacHawg

Adlibs are for amateurs and thats why they are not prepared as well as they should be and that falls 100% on the coach.

For Crying out loud we need a new coach.

Help me Rhonda
Help, help me Rhonda
Help me Rhonda ......PLEASE

BannerMountainMan

what lol? CMA goes over all kinds of game tape
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BallHog1

your life? 

How did you make sure you were focused when you played in the ncaa tournament when you were 19?...........yeah.

Farmer Hogget

Nolan always said the same thing.  Funny that.

BassinHawg

And again, who's job is it to make sure crap like that doesn't happen?

Gafford needs to leave before Mike screws him up any more that he already has.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

MemphisBossHog

considering the last 2 games Ark played where "advancement" was on the line either in the SEC-T or the NCAA they were outscored by 35 pts (18 pt loss to TENN and 17 pt loss to BUT), I would say there is no way Mike had these guys ready to play.  And the fact that there were 6 seniors on the team and they STILL were flat and could not shoot to save their lives is disturbing. 

Honestly unless the 3 pt shot is falling for the Hogs OR they are playing a team that is easily rattled by a faster pace,  I just dont know how Ark can score.   Their half court offense is stagnant to say the least.  They run the 3 man weave up top sometimes but its really not effective and the Hogs count on getting bailed out by Macon or Barford or maybe CJ Jones from deep. 

I want Mike to do well.  I was happy when he was hired but apparently he and his staff just cannot coach a true big man.  Gafford had his moment because his talent would shine through against sub par talent, but when he faced a team with bigs his equal or maybe not equal talent but high motors, Gafford would get moved around and was basically rendered ineffective.  Gafford could give nothing of significance against TENN or BUT--the 2 biggest games of the season.   Honestly who on the Ark staff can even coach a big man? 

joeyself

Quote from: King Kong on March 17, 2018, 06:21:23 pm
This is one of the reason you see experienced teams beat more talent teams in the Tournament like

Mercer over Duke.

That excuse doesn't work so well with a team with five seniors on the roster, three of which started.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hawkhawg

your life? 

GoHogs1091

your life? 

The 2 most astounding things this week were;

Don Trump admitting that he made some things up during a meeting with a foreign leader (Trudeau).

Gafford admitting that he wasn't focused, and that he thought it was going to be an easy game.

Both Don and Gafford have a lot to learn.

hoglady

Quote from: BassinHawg on March 17, 2018, 10:07:31 pm

Yep - Gafford wasn't on the radar of being a one and done out of high school,
Anderson has screwed up so bad he's on the verge of being a first round draft choice.
Yep - he sure did screw him up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

panhandlepig

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2018, 11:12:34 pm
Anderson has screwed up so bad he's on the verge of being a first round draft choice.

No kidding.

zebradynasty

I'm calling BS that the hogs didn't watch any film on Butler. I've said it once before Butler did NOTHING the hogs hadn't seen before. Heck, 7 seniors and you think they didn't know what Butler was doing ??? Hogs lost because they never bought in to being a good defensive team PERIOD. You'll never stop anyone when your opponent beats you off the dribble at all 5 positions even when playing zone! That didn't start the NCAAT been that way all year.

STLhawg

Like Mike screwed up Portis?  Heck, did I miss that Gafford was projected to be a lottery pick before the season started (and Mike make him just a first rounder)?

I think what you really meant is, "Please leave Gafford because I know you can make the Razorbacks better next season, but I really yearn for Mike Anderson's failure."  :puke:  Pathetic...

Nickle-Pig

Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

idochog

Telling the kids to play hard only goes so far

Not sure even one of asst coaches & even our head coach knows how to break down film
I love Jesus!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 17, 2018, 08:16:47 pm
what lol? CMA goes over all kinds of game tape

You're not helping anyone's opinion of his coaching ability with this post you know.  LOL

hoglady

I get some of criticism of Anderson.

But to act like he's just a horrible coach, stupid as crap, can't break down film and screws up his players talent is reaching too far - I mean really reaching.

Anderson does some things good and some things bad.

We've lost some games because Anderson got out-coached - we lost to Butler because no one could hit their wide open shots.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rljjr

Seems to me a freshman is going to take his cues from the coaching staff and senior leaders on the team. But maybe it was just him who was responsible for that 21-2 deficit. Read that how you will.

PonderinHog

HardCore

With over 1/2 of the ESPN "expert" analysts predicting a Butler Win.....what in the hell would possess these guys in thinking the game was going to be easy.  The way we shoot the rock, no game is "easy".
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

aloha_kid

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 17, 2018, 03:40:02 pm
19 year old kids make mistakes, take things for granted, often think they know better, and take time to learn.  Doesn't matter whether you are superstar athlete, a genius, or just an average kid.  A lot of learning that goes on in college whether on or off the field happens because of mistakes.  Those mistakes can be physical or mental.

The fact that a 19 year old kid thought he could handle a situation or didn't take it seriously enough should come as a surprise to absolutely no one if you have spent any time with kids this age or remember what it was like being his age. 

The surprise should be that the kid admitted it and owned it.  Most especially athletes would not.  They would say yes I was focused but.... and make up some other excuse for it.  He did not.  He was brutally honest about himself even when it would not reflect well on him.  Makes me like him more.  Realizing that he made a mistake in that regard and admitting it is a big step in correcting it and making sure it doesn't happen again.  He's hoping he stays and builds on what he learned.

Great point.  The fact that the team was in the NCAA and they didn't take the game or opponent 'serious' shows they are not ready for the NBA in terms of maturity.  I think he needs to work on his game and maturity in college vice trying to figure it out in the NBA.  Imagine if he works on his game and becomes more complete.  One need only look at the career Tim Duncan had versus many others.  Now I realize some players do well, but others take some time.  Bobby Portis comes to mind.  He's had an OK NBA career so far, but I think he should have stuck around as well. 

hobhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 17, 2018, 06:11:35 pm
This is why I believe he's coming back. The NBA will eat this kids confidence up and he'll be out the NBA by year 4. I don't think he's mentally prepared for the league.

If he does hopefully MA will play him more than 21 minutes a game....

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on March 18, 2018, 01:04:35 pm

He struggled to stay on the floor earlier in the season. I think we will see a different team.

hobhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 01:12:58 pm
He struggled to stay on the floor earlier in the season. I think we will see a different team.

That's for sure. Complete rebuild. Oh boy!

GuvHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 17, 2018, 11:12:34 pm

Gafford was underrated coming out of High School because he committed to Arkansas early. He was rated a 4 star recruit when in actuality he was a 5 star one and done level player. Had he committed to  Duke, North Carolina, or Kentucky, he would have gotten a 5 star ranking.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

aloha_kid

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 01:16:47 pm
Gafford was underrated coming out of High School because he committed to Arkansas early. He was rated a 4 star recruit when in actuality he was a 5 star one and done level player. Had he committed to  Duke, North Carolina, or Kentucky, he would have gotten a 5 star ranking.

Here we go. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: hobhog on March 18, 2018, 01:04:35 pm

He was a walking foul early in the season.  Don't foul, or when you do, make them smart fouls.  That comes with experience and maturity.

PonderinHog

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 18, 2018, 01:37:43 pm
He was a walking foul early in the season.  Don't foul, or when you do, make them smart fouls.  That comes with experience and maturity.
He got much at that over the course of the season. 

raz1965

Gafford could be on of the greatest Razorbacks ever were the NBA not calling his name, I hope we can get one more year from him.

ShadowHawg

Where do you get this crap?

I have heard both players and coaches talk about watching film this season.

There is plenty to get upset about without just plain making crap up.

Snout team

I get the frustration of hearing that comment and seeing it lived out. I will say our only national championship came under the same banner.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

aloha_kid

1highhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 17, 2018, 03:38:44 pm
Yep, I agree. 

Daniel shouldn't beat himself up too much and I give him credit for admitting it.  Nobody took Butler serious and they out hustled and played harder.  We had their attention but they never really had ours. 

Also, when it's a tough game a lot of our senior leaders kind of fade away.  For this Arkansas team to win everything has to go well.  It has to come easy and be fun.  If it gets hard we have a lot of kids who are out there feeling sorry for themselves and not fighting back.

This senior laden squad did seem to withdraw when punched in the mouth.  I've been saying that next year's team is really going to struggle, but who knows, this young team coming in may really do really well considering the coaching staff.

golfinpig

The folks on here who keep saying Gafford was a one and done out of hs and are sure he is a first round pick sure see something I don't. In the biggest game of his life so far he had 4 pets and 4 rebounds. He also hasn't made a dozen shots this year that haven't been dunks. He doesn't have a single go to post move and in the Butler game he couldn't set a good target on the block even with a guy guarding him that was a half foot shorter. Oh, and he's a lousy free throw shooter. He is tall and athletic but a long way from being a complete basketball player.

PonderinHog

IMO, he has good form on his jump shot and his free throws.  I think his accuracy will improve with practice.  He's only been playing four or five years, right?

HawgHeadCheese

Screw him up? Are you serious? You know how much progress he has made since enrolling. Don't let your emotions stop you from telling the truth

hawgfan4life

The way we started, I firmly believe the team came in looking past Butler.  Players wee lethargic and didn't start playing with any effort until they were down big.  Never really got their intensity going more than a few bursts.  That falls squarely on the coaching staff.  We had a lot of SRs, but very little long term development in the program from any players that set an example of tough play, mental preparedness, and determination other than getting a shot off offensively.  Team had potential to be better, but it is impossible for us to know why they didn't achieve more.  Coaches must get better results and players must execute better consistently.  I still like the direction of the recruiting and program.  The 7 year argument means little to me.  Every year is a new year and team.  Everything else is trends and momentum against all variables.  If next four years improve like the last four years, we will be talking about getting to elite 8 and better instead of just Sweet 16.  Recruitment already is trending better.  Traditionally, better recruiting yields better results.