Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown X

Started by McKdaddy, February 19, 2016, 11:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Good news is you have enough talent to be forced to send Wong down.

pigture perfect

I agree sending Wong down is the right move.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on June 06, 2016, 03:15:54 pm
To make room for Peralta on the 25 man roster Kolten Wong was sent to AAA. As surprised as I am by this, it's the right move. Garcia & Diaz have earned their spots on the 25 man roster while Wong has not.

They are saying that Peralta will be playing 3rd base, moving Carpenter back to his regular position of 2nd. Wong just ended up being the odd man out here. It was the only way to get him many at bats to try to work himself out of whatever this funk he's in this season is. Hopefully it will light a fire under him.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on June 06, 2016, 03:15:54 pm
To make room for Peralta on the 25 man roster Kolten Wong was sent to AAA. As surprised as I am by this, it's the right move. Garcia & Diaz have earned their spots on the 25 man roster while Wong has not.

Right move. I hate it for Wong, but he who shall not hit; shall not stay in the majors (unless you're 2015 Pete Kozma). I'm sure Wong will get another shot before this season is over.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

McKdaddy

He'll be picking up the dinner tabs.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 06, 2016, 07:23:26 pm
Right move. I hate it for Wong, but he who shall not hit; shall not stay in the majors (unless you're 2015 Pete Kozma). I'm sure Wong will get another shot before this season is over.

I hate it too. This way we can get the at bats he needs to get himself right because with Peralta back he wasn't going to get enough of them.

pigture perfect

With Kolton's age and upside, I wouldn't mind packaging him to get some more pitching,
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 07, 2016, 08:41:00 am
With Kolton's age and upside, I wouldn't mind packaging him to get some more pitching,

There's some upside in him, but I doubt you'd get much for him. He is in a career nadir at the moment. I say if Wong starts hitting well that Adams is the one you package for pitching. The first year Adams hit over .300 I said the Cardinals should trade him. Carpenter slides over to cover the 1B hole, Wong gets right, stays at second and is in the conversation at leadoff. It's so simple!  :)

Something I found interesting in reading various articles about Wong's demotion, he mentioned CF. He was a Freshmen All American at Hawaii playing CF. I know the Cardinals have said he's playing 2b during the demotion, but with Grichuk sort of scuffling, it could be something to watch for.

pigture perfect

Cards looking pretty good right now. Only half a game back from the top wildcard spot. Pirates seem to be getting unhealthy in a hurry. Cubs just keep cruising along. Don't know if we can catch em, but playoffs even things out some.

jrulz83

Swept the Pirates at PNC Park for the first time since 2009!

pigture perfect

Look out everyone, Cards are starting to click.

popcornhog

If we can keep the bats going and if the bullpen can continue to be above average -- the type of starting pitching we saw this weekend could result in a serious run through the middle part of the season.

This was a great weekend.
WPS

jbell96

Quote from: popcornhog on June 13, 2016, 07:12:11 am
If we can keep the bats going and if the bullpen can continue to be above average -- the type of starting pitching we saw this weekend could result in a serious run through the middle part of the season.

This was a great weekend.

The bullpen has been more than above average this year. Up until this past week, they've been the only bright spot we've had in regards to pitching.

That said, great week of baseball, going 5-1 on a 6 game road trip is always fun, especially against division foes.

jrulz83

It all starts and ends with starting pitching. It's no coincidence that the Cardinals would go on a little run that coincided with 5 of their last 7 starts being of the "quality" variety. They continue with the good pitching and solid defense they've had of late and they'll be right where they need to be at the end of this season.

jrulz83

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 07, 2016, 09:12:55 amSomething I found interesting in reading various articles about Wong's demotion, he mentioned CF. He was a Freshmen All American at Hawaii playing CF. I know the Cardinals have said he's playing 2b during the demotion, but with Grichuk sort of scuffling, it could be something to watch for.

The opening day 2B played CF for Memphis last night, took less than a week. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

It makes perfect sense to give this experiment a go given the struggles of Grichuk and Pham at the moment.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160614&content_id=183914816&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t235

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 14, 2016, 10:15:19 am
The opening day 2B played CF for Memphis last night, took less than a week. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

It makes perfect sense to give this experiment a go given the struggles of Grichuk and Pham at the moment.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160614&content_id=183914816&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t235

I really like the idea of playing him in CF. Maybe platoon him with Grichuk when he comes back.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on June 14, 2016, 11:29:32 am
I really like the idea of playing him in CF. Maybe platoon him with Grichuk when he comes back.

It certainly enhances Wong's case for a roster spot if he is able to play serviceably in the OF and a solid 2b; not to mention his contract status. It'll be fun to watch how this plays out. All the roster machinations we the fans dream up should be really fun to watch. At some point I think a trade for starting pitching occurs.

Here is something funny I've seen, and I'm guilty of this from time to time. Remember all the clamoring for thump from the bench for the last few seasons? The Cardinals re-signed the much maligned Brandon Moss, and what has he done? Been a bench power threat and served well in the role to this point. Who does everybody want to trade when you listen to fans? Moss, who is providing the bench thump they have been clamoring for for the last few years.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 14, 2016, 02:25:34 pm
It certainly enhances Wong's case for a roster spot if he is able to play serviceably in the OF and a solid 2b; not to mention his contract status. It'll be fun to watch how this plays out. All the roster machinations we the fans dream up should be really fun to watch. At some point I think a trade for starting pitching occurs.

Here is something funny I've seen, and I'm guilty of this from time to time. Remember all the clamoring for thump from the bench for the last few seasons? The Cardinals re-signed the much maligned Brandon Moss, and what has he done? Been a bench power threat and served well in the role to this point. Who does everybody want to trade when you listen to fans? Moss, who is providing the bench thump they have been clamoring for for the last few years.

Yeah the Moss stuff is laughable. The guy isn't an every day player yet he's tied for 9th in homers with 14. (NL)

One thing I like about our roster is how much flexibility we have with it. We have a ton of guys that can play multiple infield positions, and a few that can play infield & outfield spots. Helps keep guys fresh.

clutch

Baseball is such a funny game. Last season the Cardinals had outstanding starting pitching and little power so everyone wanted a trade for a big bat. This season, pretty similar team roster wise, and they need a trade for starting pitching and are 2nd in the NL in homeruns.

clutch

Well that didn't take long. Cardinals recalled Wong to platoon in CF.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on June 17, 2016, 03:26:28 pm
Well that didn't take long. Cardinals recalled Wong to platoon in CF.

Let's hope either Wong or Grichuk get that job nailed down, it's the weak spot in the lineup right now. Too bad it had to be Hazelbaker that got shuffled down, but I think it was time for him to go.

The pitching really has me concerned. Partly because of Matheny riding Oh too hard, and mostly because of the slow start that the starters have gotten off to. I bet we see a trade for a starter at some point in the relatively near future.

pigture perfect

I think Gritchuk is the long term solution in CF. Sophmore slumps happen.

jrulz83

Grichuk sent down, Pham brought up and Wong is your starter in CF today. Who thought we'd see that during Spring Training, much less the regular season?

pigture perfect

Wow! Scratch my post #221 in this thread and color me shocked. Well I guess time at AAA helped Wong, maybe it will spark RK as well.

Will Rosenthal be next?

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 18, 2016, 10:15:26 pm
Wow! Scratch my post #221 in this thread and color me shocked. Well I guess time at AAA helped Wong, maybe it will spark RK as well.

Will Rosenthal be next?

The pitching needs help from somewhere. Rosenthal took, what, 8 pitches to load the bases in the 9th yesterday? The losses against the Rangers have been really painful because they squandered terrific pitching from Wacha and Martinez. I'm afraid this team may be like 2006 one, stumbling and struggling all the way to the end of the season, but that team proved that all you have to do is make the playoffs and anything is possible.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 18, 2016, 10:15:26 pm

Will Rosenthal be next?

I still think he probably is. I think he's just going through an extremely rough patch right now. The demotion will probably do him some good. Get him back on track.

pigture perfect

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, Sophomore slumps are pretty common in the Majors. Gritchik will be OK in time.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 19, 2016, 01:52:34 pm
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, Sophomore slumps are pretty common in the Majors. Gritchik will be OK in time.

He's just got to cut down on the K's.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: clutch on June 19, 2016, 02:01:54 pm
He's just got to cut down on the K's.
Now you see the greatness of Jurickson Profar and Nomar Mazara

pigture perfect

Arghhhh, Rosenhausen again. Nuff said.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 20, 2016, 10:07:07 pm
Arghhhh, Rosenhausen again. Nuff said.

Molina and the ump's ankle saved his butt. That was a fun game, nice to see Jaime Garcia rebound and pitch well, Oh continues to impress, and although it was a "fun" ninth, Rosenthal got the save. The win against the Cubs tonight could not have come at a better time.

pigture perfect

Huge win tonight. Hopefully we can take this series from the Cubs. Maybe get in they head a little.

pigture perfect

If this score holds til the 8th, I hope that we use Seigrist and Oh to finish.

hoghappy

Looks like we took the series. That was a fun game, as was last nights.

PonderinHog

Maybe they should play the rest of their games on the road.  They may never lose again...

jrulz83

pigture perfect

I'll even be smiling in my sleep. Don't dare wake me if I'm dreamin'.

pigture perfect

I officially hate Rosenthal as a closer. That is all.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 25, 2016, 12:07:38 am
I officially hate Rosenthal as a closer. That is all.

Time to give Oh a shot at that role.

What's the deal with Rosenthal? He's on like an every other year cycle. Came into the league and was really good, next year wasn't that good, last year was great again, this year terrible. Move him to Memphis, use him next year during his good year, then trade him lol

McKdaddy

He's benched from closing for now.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

clutch

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 25, 2016, 07:57:50 pm
He's benched from closing for now.

I'd hope so. The leash has been a little too long for him in my opinion. He's got a lot more opportunities than most closers get.

pigture perfect

That is good news. A little too late in my opinion.

clutch

Explosion of the long ball today. Carp with 2, Pham with 2, Gyorko with 1 and Holliday with 1

pigture perfect

Not much to write about lately, huh? Cubs starting to Cub and we aren't doing anything about it.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 29, 2016, 09:12:54 pm
Not much to write about lately, huh? Cubs starting to Cub and we aren't doing anything about it.

Pretty meh of late. Just when I think they turn the corner, they hit another brick wall. It's like 2006 all over again, minus the fast start, and (hopefully) second half injuries.

pigture perfect

Do any of you guys think Mo will make any noise before the trade deadline other than pick up a bullpen guy, either a set-up guy or long reliever? I'm thinking that wil prolly be the extent of it.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 02, 2016, 12:39:43 am
Do any of you guys think Mo will make any noise before the trade deadline other than pick up a bullpen guy, either a set-up guy or long reliever? I'm thinking that wil prolly be the extent of it.

There's not really anywhere to drastically improve by a trade that I see. The bullpen has been fine, I know there has been some struggles lately, but overall it has been good enough to this point.

The starting rotation seems to have settled in and been relatively solid the last few turns.

The defense has been subpar, but that's not anything that can be fixed by a trade. You can't trade your whole infield away. The defense just has to get better.

Seriously, go around the horn looking at the lineup. Where is a huge hole that is the cause of some of the repugnant play?

LF, Holliday is having a solid season.

RF, Piscotty has made everybody say Jason who? He can't play much better.

3B, Peralta is fine over there, probably better there than at SS.

SS, Diaz has been a pleasant surprise at the plate and his defense has really settled in.

2B, Carpenter doesn't really fit there to me, but his bat has to be in the lineup.

1B, Moss/Adams have both had a good season so far, I don't see moving either of them.

C, Yadi has been Yadi. He has had a few more past balls than in years past, but again it's not something that can't be fixed by simply playing better.

The only real hole I see is CF, Wong has been okay, he has taken some truly hideous routes to balls, but he's improving. Grichuk is the long term answer there and I think he'll get back up pretty soon.

So what do you fix position player wise? I don't see it coming from a trade. The dreaded "internal options" are the answer.

So I took a really, really, long time to say that I think if we see any move it will be a rotation depth move, or a bullpen move.

pigture perfect

I think that's what I was saying as well. Our power has been good, our rotation depth will improve when Reyes gets called up, and I do believe it's just a matter of time. Might use him in a long reliever situation, but Tyler Lyons has been pretty good lately.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 02, 2016, 02:41:37 pm
I think that's what I was saying as well. Our power has been good, our rotation depth will improve when Reyes gets called up, and I do believe it's just a matter of time. Might use him in a long reliever situation, but Tyler Lyons has been pretty good lately.

Yep, I believe we agree. There's just not much to improve on by adding external players.

pigture perfect

Moss to DL, Gritchik back up. I hope RT never gets sent back down. Would love to see him get hot.