Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 SEC Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, December 29, 2017, 08:24:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Richard Davenport
‏ @ArRecruitingGuy
2m2 minutes ago

2019 #Hog PG commit @_justicehill led LR Christian with 22 points, 13 in the first half in the Warriors 73-51 win over Searcy in the semifinals of the Beebe Christmas Classic, according to Martin Couch.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

4-star forward Babatunde Akingbola commits to Auburn

QuoteFour-star power forward Babatunde Akingbola committed to Auburn on Thursday.

Akingbola is the first commitment of the 2019 recruiting class for Auburn, though there's a possibility he could reclassify to the 2018 class, according to a source, who added that nothing has been decided on just yet.

Akingbola, out of McEachern High in Powder Springs, Ga., is rated as the No. 25 power forward in the 2019 class.

6-foot-8, 220-pounder is the No. 8 player in Georgia and rated as the No. 144 prospect nationally.

Akingbola is the first recruit to commit to Auburn since the FBI investigation involving former associate head coach Chuck Person, who faces six federal charges including fraud and conspiracy following his Sept. 26 arrest. Following Person's arrest, Auburn lost a commitment from four-star 2018 power forward E.J. Montgomery.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Annie Costabile‏Verified account @AnnieCostabile

What is the likelihood 2019 5-star prospect @lildjj0 plays college basketball in the state of Mississippi? With offers from Kentucky and Kansas (among others) is it really a possibility? We discussed it following the Rumble in the South.

QuoteOlive Branch's D.J. Jeffries is a rare basketball talent for the state of Mississippi — a five-star prospect ranked as high as No. 9 nationally in the class of 2019, and unquestionably the top player in the state.

The last player of this caliber was Callaway's Malik Newman, who signed with Mississippi State and is now at Kansas.

So when a talent like this comes along, what exactly is it going to take for them to stay home at Ole Miss or Mississippi State, and not leave for a blue blood powerhouse program?

For Jeffries, it's all about family.

"My family is everything to me," Jeffries said. "If the schools build a good relationship with my family, they like them and I like them, that's what I'm going to base my decision off of."

One team that's been building a relationship with Jeffries since his freshman year is Ole Miss.

Andy Kennedy was the first Division I coach to offer Jeffries, and although he isn't commenting on where he'll commit yet, he said that means something to him now.

Jeffries is in constant contact with both Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Both programs check in with the star small forward nearly every day, he said.

When it comes to Kentucky, though, Jeffries, who is 6-foot-7 and 185 pounds, said he feels the family love that he said is so important to him.

John Calipari doesn't check in every day. He doesn't call Jeffries' mom and dad every week. But Jeffries said he makes him feel important to the program when he's on campus and the rare instances he is sending a text or making a phone call.

jbcarol

HENDERSON, Ky. — It's only fitting that KyKy Tandy, the Commonwealth's No. 2 prospect in the 2019 class, has the state abbreviation — times two — as his nickname. But it's still a question whether Tandy will be the next in-state signee Kentucky fans can call their own.

Quote6-foot-1, 160-pound shooting guard from Hopkinsville hasn't yet received an offer from John Calipari.

"When I went up there I knew they had interest in me," Tandy told SEC Country on Thursday. "But they weren't recruiting me that hard at first. So, I feel like they got more interest in me then. We'll just go from there."

Tandy said he went to a game at Rupp Arena last season, but not on any sort of visit. Saturday was different.

"It was a great experience," Tandy said. "I was shocked. Like their locker room and stuff is crazy. It was a great facility. I don't think any college got that."

Dekeyvan Tandy started going by "KyKy" (pronounced "key-key") when he was little. People wanted him to have a nickname, he said. But now he has to correct people who can't even pronounce the nickname.

It might not be a problem for long.

Tandy's name is not only gaining traction in the state, but also nationally. He's the 150th-ranked prospect in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite. He has scholarship offers from Florida, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Western Kentucky and New Mexico State.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

South Carolina basketball firmly in the mix for 4-star Juwan Gary

QuoteFour-star small forward Juwan Gary stopped by Colonial Life Arena for five South Carolina basketball games this season.

Gary, who attends Gray Collegiate Academy in Columbia, is ranked by the 247Sports composite as the No. 47 overall 2019 prospect in the country. Among those from within the state, he's listed as third-overall recruit.

South Carolina remains firmly in consideration, along with several other schools, including Clemson, Maryland, North Carolina State, Virginia and UConn, though the Huskies parted ways with coach Kevin Ollie Sunday...

"The day of the state championship game, [Frank Martin] texted me and said, 'Just come back home with the state championship. If you win, it's going to be history,' and that's what I did," Gary said. "Mainly, his talks with me aren't about basketball, they're about life. But, at the same time, we talk about if I do commit there, I'd be a good fit for him.

"I'm an elite scorer, so at the same time, just give me the ball, I can make offense [happen]. I play defense on the court too, so that's what we talk about."

Gary scored 41 points on Saturday in the South Carolina Junior Showcase at Heathwood...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Texas A&M basketball earns commitment from guard Chris Harris Jr.

QuoteHarris also has offers from Kansas State, Baylor, SMU and others.

Listed at 6-foot-4, Harris attends South Garland High School in Garland, Texas. He's the No. 31 shooting guard in the class of 2019, per 247Sports composite. He's the No. 174 overall player.

Harris is A&M's second commit in the class of 2019, joining 3-star point guard Sahvir Wheeler.

jbcarol

Georgia loses commitment from 4-star 2019 forward Elias

QuoteElias King and Ashton Hagans were seen as the future of Georgia basketball — the type of dynamic duo who could potentially vault the Bulldogs toward the top of the SEC. But now both players are gone, having de-committed from the program.

First it was Hagans reneging on his pledge in late February. And now King has joined him, making his de-commitment public to Rivals.com on Tuesday night.

Though King is not quite on Hagans' level as a prospect — Hagans is seen as a potential one-and-done, lottery-pick type of talent — it is nevertheless a big loss for the Bulldogs. Unsurprisingly, Mark Fox's departure from the program was the primary reason behind his decision.

55th-ranked prospect in the class of 2019 according to the 247Sports composite, King originally committed to Georgia in late December. A 6-foot-t7 small forward, King plays for Shiloh...

jbcarol

Richard Davenport
‏ @ArRecruitingGuy
Apr 26

Arkansas offers 2019 big man Jason Jitoboh: Arkansas has extended an offer to highly regarded Woodz Elite 17-under center Jason Jitoboh. http://dlvr.it/QQw9kP

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jake Winderman
‏Verified account @jakewinderman

Have been told that Florida, Georgia, Clemson and UNLV are schools recruiting 2019 5⭐️ SF Christian Brown (@cb_kid) the hardest. Brown is planning to visit UF in June or earlier according to a source. Mike White has personally led Brown's recruiting effort for the #Gators.

jbcarol

Hazel Green 2019 point guard Kira Lewis talks 5th star, much more

Quote6-foot-3 Lewis entered the offseason rated four stars and sported an offer list that included Alabama and Auburn. Lewis' situation has elevated to another level in the past month. He earned a fifth star and was ranked the No. 24 player in the nation by 247Sports, received a tryout invitation for the USA U18 National Team and added offers from the likes of Kansas, Indiana and Louisville.

"It would be neat," Lewis said of the possibility of playing for Self and Grant, "because it would give me an insight on, if I chose one of those schools, how they would coach me and try to get me better and to the next level."

jbcarol

Evan Daniels
‏Verified account @EvanDaniels

2019 guard Austin Crowley (https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Crowley-46040950 ...) is currently on an unofficial visit to Ole Miss, per a source.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Auburn basketball lands commitment from 2019 4-star forward

QuoteFour-star 2019 small forward Isaac Okoro announced his commitment to the Tigers at midnight Wednesday.

A 6-foot-5, 200-pound forward out of McEachern (Powder Springs, Ga.), Okoro is ranked the No. 1 player in Georgia, the No. 8 small forward and No. 35 overall player in the 247Sports Composite.

Okoro joins Babatunde Akingbola in Auburn's 2019 recruiting class, though Akingbola could reclassify and enroll later this summer.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account@JonRothstein
17h17 hours ago

Five-Star prospect Armando Bacot has cut his list to Duke, North Carolina, VCU, Georgia, and Oklahoma State, per his Twitter page.
https://247sports.com/Player/Armando-Bacot-94692

jbcarol

jbcarol

Evan Daniels
‏Verified account@EvanDaniels

Four-star guard Jaykwon Walton just verbally committed to Missisippi State, he tells @247Sports | Story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Jaykwon-Walton-commits-to-Mississippi-State-120592955 ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Evan Daniels

No. 1 recruit James Wiseman will have an in-home visit with Vanderbilt's staff on Thursday, his mother Donzaleigh Artis tells @247Sports.

Wiseman (https://247sports.com/Player/James-Wiseman-88248 ...) has an in-home with Penny Hardaway today. Bill Self & John Calipari will be in this week as well.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

@GrantRamey
‏Verified account@GrantRamey

Large News: #Vols land commitment from 2019 five-star point guard Josiah James https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Basketball-Recruitment-Vols-land-commitment-from-2019-5-star-combo-guard-Josiah-James-122100994 ... via @GoVols247

QuoteJames, a 6-foot-6 five-star combo guard in the 2019 class, committed to the Vols on Wednesday morning during a ceremony at Porter-Gaud School in Charleston, S.C.

He's the No. 14 overall player in the 2019 class according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He's No. 3 among combo guards and No. 1 in the state of South Carolina.

Tennessee has been recruiting James for over four years --- the No. 1 point guard on their board for multiple years, too ---

jbcarol

USC basketball coach Frank Martin has an in-state point guard commitment for the 2019 class in Hartsville's Trae Hannibal and he's eyeing another in-state point guard target for the'20 class in Dorman's Myles Tate.  Tate has been to USC twice this month for football games and he's feeling the love from Martin and his staff.

Quote"I think Coach Martin is pushing me really hard because I'm priority," Tate said. "I think they are a great program and I think I can fit there but I'm still wide open right now."

Tate said the recent visits gave him a chance to get closer to the Gamecock staff.

"I was just bonding with the coaches and my family, just talking and watching the game and having a good time," said Tate who added he hears practically every day from someone on the USC staff.  "Just checking in on me to see how I'm doing and they just keep telling me to keep improving my game."

He's not hearing from Clemson.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

One that got away:

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account@JonRothstein

Sources: 2019 combo guard Greg Hammond has committed to Rhode Island. Top player in Louisiana.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

@GrantRamey

Verified account
@GrantRamey
4h4 hours ago

Rick Barnes on Drew Pember: "He's a tremendous outside shooter, but he really has the ability to do just about everything on the basketball court. He can pass the ball, rebound, block shots, and he's a good decision-maker."

[free] https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Basketball-Recruiting-Vols-sign-local-three-star-PF-Drew-Pember-124712398/ ... via @GoVols247

QuoteThe signed National Letter of Intent didn't have very far to travel.

When Drew Pember signed with the Tennessee basketball program on Wednesday, the start of basketball fall signing period, the NLI only had to go from Knoxville's Bearden High School down the road to the Tennessee campus.

"Drew is extremely skilled," Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said of Pember, a 6-foot-10 three-star power forward in the 2019 class. "He's a tremendous outside shooter, but he really has the ability to do just about everything on the basketball court. He can pass the ball, rebound, block shots, and he's a good decision-maker.

"He needs to get stronger, put some weight on. But Drew's got a tremendous upside and a real chance to become a complete player for us. We're really excited about him."

jbcarol

QuoteTyrese Maxey is officially a Kentucky Wildcat.

The five-star guard signed his Letter of Intent to solidify his spot as a member of the Cats' next class of talent on Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period.

jbcarol

'19 Huntsville, AL 3-star SF Kobe Brown gave a verbal to A&M.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks
‏Verified account@AdamSparks
6m6 minutes ago

Big day for Vandy hoops recruiting

@VandyMBB signs pair of 4-stars

QuoteBryce Drew's staff got a pair of four-star prospects — 6-foot-8 forward Dylan Disu and 6-6 shooting guard Austin Crowley — on the first day of the NCAA signing period Wednesday.

Disu, from Pflugerville, Texas, is rated the No. 19 power forward in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He picked Vanderbilt over SMU, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Illinois and others.

Crowley, from West Point, Miss., is the No. 19 shooting guard in the 2019 class, according to 247Sports. He chose the Commodores over Mississippi State, Memphis, Alabama, Gonzaga, Minnesota and others.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏@BrentZwerneman
2h2 hours ago

Texas A&M men's basketball inks 4 during early signing period, day before playing at No. 3 Gonzaga: https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-men-s-basketball-inks-4-signing-period-13392510.php ... via @houstonchron

Quote&M plays at No. 3 Gonzaga on Thursday night, but that wasn't immediately on coach Billy Kennedy's mind on Wednesday afternoon. Officially inking a class of four took precedence for a slice of time before the Aggies jetted to Spokane, Wash.

"They're high character kids who come from winning programs, who value what A&M is all about," Kennedy said. "I really think these kids are going to be impact guys right away – it's a great class."

Kennedy's 2019 class that signed early includes guards Sahvir Wheeler of Houston Christian High and Chris Harris Jr. of South Garland High, along with forwards Kobe Brown of Huntsville, Ala., and Tyreek Smith of Baton Rouge, La. The Aggies class is ranked No. 17 nationally and No. 5 in the SEC by 247Sports.

"We could still add to it possibly in the spring, if not with a transfer in the fall," Kennedy said.

jbcarol

Ole Miss Basketball
‏Verified account
@OleMissMBB

RELEASE | Ole Miss Basketball Lands Top 25 Class on National Signing Day #HottyToddy

📰 http://rebs.us/p8PL30mCwzQ

QuoteOXFORD, Miss. – Ole Miss head men's basketball coach Kermit Davis announced the addition of four standouts on National Signing Day. Antavion "Dude" Collum, Rodney Howard, Sammy Hunter and Bryce Williams all signed their National Letters of Intent on Wednesday and will join the Rebels for the 2019-20 season.

"With this recruiting class, I really think we filled some valuable needs," said Davis. "I love their talent level and character. These guys can play multiple positions, and I think they're going to fit in really well with the guys we have coming back next year."

After being named the 22nd head coach in Ole Miss Basketball history last March, Davis and his staff quickly completed a recruiting class by signing five players within the first two months on the job. This 2019 class, Davis' first full class at Ole Miss, is one of the best in school history coming in at No. 25 ...

jbcarol

SportsTalk
@sportstalksc

#STRecruiting: Gamecocks land third 2019 basketball commitment https://sportstalksc.com/2018/11/21/strecruiting-gamecocks-land-third-2019-basketball-commitment/ ... via @SportsTalkSC

QuoteSouth Carolina Gamecocks landed their third basketball commitment of the 2019 class in 6-6 SF Trey Anderson of Santa Ana, CA.

2019 prospect, who plays for Woodstock Academy in Connecticut, also had offers from Georgia Tech and Florida International.

He played over the summer for the West Coast Elite AAU team, averaging 12 points per game and shooting 50 percent from the field.

Anderson joins Hartsville native Trae Hannibal and Wildens 'hhh' Leveque of Brockton, Massachusetts in South Carolina's class, filling up all of the available spots for next year's team without factoring in potential transfers or early departures.

jbcarol

jbcarol

SportsTalk@sportstalksc
4h4 hours ago

6-6 F Josiah James of Porter-Gaud, a #Tennessee signee and who visited #Clemson/had an offer from the #Gamecocks has been named to the year's McDonald's All-American Game roster.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels

Anthony Edwards, the No. 1 prospect in the Top247, just verbally committed to Georgia | Story: https://247sports.com/Article/Anthony-Edwards-commitment--128971656 ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

We will see if there is some movement in the 2019 class with coaching changes and potential coaching changes.