Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why so much emphasis on Texas recruiting.

Started by zuko, December 15, 2017, 01:02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goodguytex

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 07:58:32 pm
2006 and 2007 were pretty good years.  So were 2010 and 2011.  Arkansas talent plus Texas talent is where Arkansas bread is buttered.  End of story.
I would hope Morris and staff won't confine their focus to just Texas and Arkansas, but Louisiana, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma and California too. We shouldn't be confining our focus to any one location. If we just focus on one place, it's a mistake IMO.

We gotta get a solid staff though that can sell the program to the best out there. Hopefully when our staff is fully assembled we will be able to do that. We will see though.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mjs84 on December 15, 2017, 08:00:56 pm
1.  And most obvious, Alabama has national appeal.  Crimson tide can easily recruit almost any state based on the glory of playing for Nick Saban and is a playoff contender every season.

2. Texas, through whatever reason, has had terrible seasons since Coach Mack Brown was finishing his final years.  The Charlie Strong era was also a disaster, and it doesn't seem that is going to improve any time soon.  Personally, I think there is more of a leadership problem with the program and that's why they are having such a tough time winning games and being prepared on the field.  Arkansas is a better example to use in this case, because we have had decent talent and awful leadership playing and coaching simultaneously.  Think JLS years.  That team was preseason #8.  You can argue they were overated, but you have to agree, looking at the roster, it was a top 25 team.  Even Brets final year here, failed to utilize some of our talented players.  So, a good team can indeed be wasted by terrible coaching.  We have seen it personally.  No knock to Charlie Strong, for whatever reason, he just didn't get it worked out.  But it wasn't because of lack of talent. 

3.  Texas football is a religion.  It's important you understand that before proceeding.  Think Dallas Cowboys.  Also, highschool football in Texas is the most competitive in the country.  Let's also not forget the sheer size of the state with such a large population.   It just so happens to be our neighbor.  The word here is proximity.  Being close to Texas makes us appealing for athletes who may have had more exposure to the razorback brand growing up.  It increases the likelihood that they know somebody from Arkansas or has family here, or used to live here, whatever.  So, there are enough talented kids, (because of interest and size) coming out every year.  Some will go bama, some will stay home, some will OU, but we need lots of the talent coming here as well. Texas is the most logical source of football talent to be had in the state of Arkansas.  Bless the players who stay home to become Hogs, but we need more than the state can produce to be competitive. It would take 3 states alone to produce the number of qualified talent coming from Texas needed to fill enough spots on our roster.  So, of we aren't getting it from the Lone Star state, we are probably not getting it from mizzou, ok, lousianna combined.  Florida is a hotbed but it's really for away and the kids won't all like the cold.   We get a few Louisiana players annually, but LSU has been very competitive and the best ones stay home. Texas is very important for razorback recruiting because of its talent, size, and exposure to the brand.  No other state can provide that.

As far as the University of Texas goes, they simply stopped getting the best recruits from Texas.

In the years (2002-2005) leading up to the Texas NC season, there were 26 5-star players available in Texas and UT signed 7 of them. A&M signed 3 of those over those 4 years, Baylor-0, TCU-0, OU-5, Okla St-1 and Arkansas-0.

With regard to 4 star players over the same period of time the state of Texas produced 89 4-star players and Texas signed 31 of those. A&M signed 19, Baylor-1, TCU-2, OU-10, Okla St-4 and Arkansas-4.

After that, the Texas totals began to shrink over time. They used to have the pick of the litter. That changed.
Go Hogs Go!

Mjs84

Quote from: goodguytex on December 15, 2017, 08:11:02 pm
I would hope Morris and staff won't confine their focus to just Texas and Arkansas, but Louisiana, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma and California too. We shouldn't be confining our focus to any one location. If we just focus on one place, it's a mistake IMO.

We gotta get a solid staff though that can sell the program to the best out there. Hopefully when our staff is fully assembled we will be able to do that. We will see though.

I agree with you, but recruiting is an investment of time and energy.  Until we get national prominence and kids from all over are putting us in there top 5s, we will get more work done by letting Morris do what he does best.  Lots of people use the phrase, "working hard vs working smart".  And I'm sure CCM is working hard for the program in his early tenure.  It is yet to be determined if he is working smart, but I am completely on board.

bphi11ips

Is someone suggesting Morris confine recruiting to Arkansas and Texas?  No one has ever done that at Arkansas.  It would be stupid to start now. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mjs84

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:29:44 pm
As far as the University of Texas goes, they simply stopped getting the best recruits from Texas.

In the years (2002-2005) leading up to the Texas NC season, there were 26 5-star players available in Texas and UT signed 7 of them. A&M signed 3 of those over those 4 years, Baylor-0, TCU-0, OU-5, Okla St-1 and Arkansas-0.

With regard to 4 star players over the same period of time the state of Texas produced 89 4-star players and Texas signed 31 of those. A&M signed 19, Baylor-1, TCU-2, OU-10, Okla St-4 and Arkansas-4.

After that, the Texas totals began to shrink over time. They used to have the pick of the litter. That changed.

I would agree that.  Texas is not as bad as they have played though.  Texas A&M joining the SEC hurts the Longhorns a lot.  Last time we played the Longhorns, they couldn't even get a snap off.  That is a leadership problem.   The kids aren't being prepared each week.  Talented players see that and they choose to play elsewhere.

FraggleHog

CCM just offered 5 kids from the same high school in Alabama. Staff has been in Oklahoma, Iowa, Alabama on top of Texas and Arkansas. Staff seems to be spreading it out nicely.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

farmhawg

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 11:19:24 pm
CCM just offered 5 kids from the same high school in Alabama. Staff has been in Oklahoma, Iowa, Alabama on top of Texas and Arkansas. Staff seems to be spreading it out nicely.
Tgey are working hard. Gotta love it even if it doesn't pay off this signing.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Snouty

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 01:19:10 pm
and they are in the same conference with Texas ties and they play each other every year.

When Arkansas goes to recruit a TExas kid they tell them " Yea, you will play in Texas once a year until the deal with A&M runs out maybe twice if we sign another home and home with a Texas team."

But a Texas kid that comes to Ar will play most of their games outside of Texas in a conf with only one Texas team. 

A player for a Texas school plays all his home games in Texas.

Phil D

Quote from: zuko on December 15, 2017, 01:02:27 pm
There is a lot of talk about Coach Morris's ability to recruit in Texas and I wonder why that is so important. Texas has 77 players on their roster from Texas with the remainder (22) from 10 States (they finished 6-6) Arkansas recruited in 12 States & we know how that finished. Alabama, the most consistent team in Major college football recruited in 22 States with 13 players from Texas. Almost all of Coach Morris's SMU team came from Texas with and oddity of 1 from NJ. Alabama, the most consistently winning team in college football recruited in 22 different states. Maybe we don't reach out far enough. Have a great time tearing this apart.
Study college football a little more and you will understand why.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Snouty

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 15, 2017, 01:59:59 pm
We used to get some serviceable talent out of Alabama especially when Nutt was here.  Also, when CBP was here.  I believe Trey Flowers and Darius Philon came from Alabama.

You are correct, amigo.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 02:01:29 pm
They have latched onto Texas being the cure for all the recruiting ills because they basically have nothing else. They know we are not going to get enough players from anywhere else, not SEC LEVEL anyway, so now they hope they can get enough from Texas to at least fill their desire that we have a 7 on 7 type offense.
Yeah, good points, maybe we should go back to the CBB model, that was really working well.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mjs84 on December 15, 2017, 08:40:52 pm
I would agree that.  Texas is not as bad as they have played though.  Texas A&M joining the SEC hurts the Longhorns a lot.  Last time we played the Longhorns, they couldn't even get a snap off.  That is a leadership problem.   The kids aren't being prepared each week.  Talented players see that and they choose to play elsewhere.

It wasn't just A&M, but that didn't help a Texas that was already taking a downturn.

TCU joining the B12 hurt Texas to some extent by offering another option. From 2002-2010 Gary Patterson signed just 4-4 star players from Texas. Once it was announced that TCU would begin play in the B12 in 2012, TCU started signing more 4 stars from Texas. In 2011 they signed 3. From 2012-2017 TCU has signed 15-4 stars from Texas.

Look at Baylor. From 2002 (the last year that Kevin Steele was their HC) through 2011 Baylor had signed just 5-4 star players from Texas. From 2012-2016 they signed 13-4 stars from Texas.

Then there is A&M, to your point. In the 10 years prior to joining the SEC (2002-2011) A&M signed 5-5 stars and 39-4 stars from Texas. Over the last 6 years since joining the SEC A&M has signed 5-5 stars and 48-4 stars from inside the border of Texas.

While I agree that Texas has been better from a talent standpoint than how they have played, the way that they have played has contributed to driving recruits to other schools. Though I know many on here love Charlie Strong for his Arkansas ties, changing offensive schemes as frequently as he did in his short stint at Texas didn't help them. To Charlie's credit, he probably did his best job of recruiting in his last class at Texas where he signed 14-4 stars, which is more typical Texas numbers than the two previous classes where he signed just 1-5 star and 7 and 9-4 star players respectively. Now you have Tom Herman trying to clean up the mess and his first class produced 0-5 stars and just 6-4 stars.

Back to topic, this proves to me that there isn't any reason that we shouldn't be able to dip into Texas for 8 to 10 solid players each season to add to our roster.
Go Hogs Go!

Mjs84

December 16, 2017, 09:35:14 am #112 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:02:45 am by Mjs84
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 07:40:55 am
It wasn't just A&M, but that didn't help a Texas that was already taking a downturn.

TCU joining the B12 hurt Texas to some extent by offering another option. From 2002-2010 Gary Patterson signed just 4-4 star players from Texas. Once it was announced that TCU would begin play in the B12 in 2012, TCU started signing more 4 stars from Texas. In 2011 they signed 3. From 2012-2017 TCU has signed 15-4 stars from Texas.

Look at Baylor. From 2002 (the last year that Kevin Steele was their HC) through 2011 Baylor had signed just 5-4 star players from Texas. From 2012-2016 they signed 13-4 stars from Texas.

Then there is A&M, to your point. In the 10 years prior to joining the SEC (2002-2011) A&M signed 5-5 stars and 39-4 stars from Texas. Over the last 6 years since joining the SEC A&M has signed 5-5 stars and 48-4 stars from inside the border of Texas.

While I agree that Texas has been better from a talent standpoint than how they have played, the way that they have played has contributed to driving recruits to other schools. Though I know many on here love Charlie Strong for his Arkansas ties, changing offensive schemes as frequently as he did in his short stint at Texas didn't help them. To Charlie's credit, he probably did his best job of recruiting in his last class at Texas where he signed 14-4 stars, which is more typical Texas numbers than the two previous classes where he signed just 1-5 star and 7 and 9-4 star players respectively. Now you have Tom Herman trying to clean up the mess and his first class produced 0-5 stars and just 6-4 stars.

Back to topic, this proves to me that there isn't any reason that we shouldn't be able to dip into Texas for 8 to 10 solid players each season to add to our roster.

Longhorn football has a long history and it took many ill fortunes to bring them to where they are now.  Not one issue alone was enough, but as I said, many bad moves by the program, and at the worst time for them to come.  If you're saying this is even more reason we should see success in texas recruiting, then yes it is.

jackflash

I think for a couple of years maybe more Morris feels that where his strength is in recruiting Texas

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 15, 2017, 01:57:30 pm
2 things. 

1.  We need to get over our Texas obsession.  It seems like part of the driving force behind CM's hire was "By Gawd Texas".  I think it's based on the GOBN and their love hate relationship with the Lone Star state.  Was that the only reason CM was hired?  No, and I've come to appreciate the hire, but that Texas drum got beat to death.

2.  On the flip side recruiting should be from the inside out until a program is established as elite and can regularly draw kids nationally.  It's not that you limit yourself to just those states but as far as a time investment in recruiting you are much more likely to draw a kid from a closer state than say the coast.  So as CM said establishing that footprint is important.  Own Arkansas, strongly compete in your neighbor states, and if there is a must have kid outside that footprint or a kid you have a decent chance landing then go after him. 

This staff is pretty smart considering the short time frame. They are already a known commodity in Texas so they started there, and also working Oklahoma.  Window is too short right now to make inroads outside the footprint.  They can do that for class of 2019 and beyond (think we they just did in Alabama).

Regardless of where they are recruiting you have to like the high energy, sense of urgency, and visibility of this staff.  They are cruitin and also laying the groundwork for the future.  Very much a breath of fresh air we should all appreciate.

Get over Texas in regard to recruiting? I've read some stupid stuff here on Hogville, but this one takes that cake.

Wooderson

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 07:52:31 pm
Pull much out of your posterior? 

According to statistics published in 2015, 256 NFL players were from Texas.  83 were from Louisiana.  83 were from ..... Virginia.  79 were from North Carolina.

Texas has 27 million residents.  Louisiana has 5 million.  37% of Texans are Hispanic.  The other 63% are almost all Caucasion and African American. Almost all of those live in eastern and north central Texas.  Per capita, Texas and Louisiana produce about the same number of NFL players. More of the fertile ground for Texas NFL players is within Arkansas's recruiting footprint.  Arkansas has recruited northern Louisiana well forever. It needs to continue doing that.  It needs to stop beating Tulane, ULL and Western Kentucky for southern Louisiana recruits.

Fortunately CCM doesn't read Wooderson on Recruiting.

Wrong. So damn wrong. Heck by your own stats it is obvious you are wrong. Using your stats LA 1 in 61,000 are NFL caliber. Texas is over 1 in 100,000. Did you flunk math? 

Sure Texas has more total in the NFL but the probability of a LA player being NFL caliber is significantly higher than Texas.

Texas is nothing but a bunch of rich suburban kids with speed trainers and every resource in the world at their finger tips. 

They get to college and the stud athletes from LA, Georgia, Florida get the same training and shine while Texas talent fades away.  Texas colleges are really killing it with all their Texas talent aren't they?  This Texas experiment will fail and I will be unbearable on this board when it does. Too many of you are living in the past.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Wildhog

Quote from: Wooderson on December 16, 2017, 11:40:03 am
Wrong. So damn wrong. Heck by your own stats it is obvious you are wrong. Using your stats LA 1 in 61,000 are NFL caliber. Texas is over 1 in 100,000. Did you flunk math? 

Sure Texas has more total in the NFL but the probability of a LA player being NFL caliber is significantly higher than Texas.

Texas is nothing but a bunch of rich suburban kids with speed trainers and every resource in the world at their finger tips. 

They get to college and the stud athletes from LA, Georgia, Florida get the same training and shine while Texas talent fades away.  Texas colleges are really killing it with all their Texas talent aren't they?  This Texas experiment will fail and I will be unbearable on this board when it does. Too many of you are living in the past.

I tend to agree, but this is a good thing.  With Chad Morris/Jeff Traylor on staff, one way or another, this debate will be put to bed once and for all. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

There are really good athletes in Texas, it is just that so many teams go after them. Under Saban Alabama has shown little interest in Texas, until lately. Over the last 5 years they have cherry picked 3-5 stars and 9-4 stars from that state. The 5 years prior to that, 0-5 stars, 2-4 stars and 3-3 stars.

Over the same period of time LSU has cherry picked 1-5 star, 12-4 stars and 6-3 stars. In the preceding 5 year period they picked up 2-5 stars, 9-4 stars and 7-3 stars. They have steadily raided Texas while securing most of the best from Louisiana.

There is enough talent in Texas for us to go in and selectively pick up 8 to 10 each year, if that is what we want to do. There are so many scrambling for kids in Texas and there are so many good athletes that I like our chances better down there than trying to compete with LSU in their home state.
Go Hogs Go!

Pa-Paw

Quote from: Mjs84 on December 16, 2017, 09:35:14 am
Longhorn football has a long history and it took many ill fortunes to bring them to where they are now.  Not one issue alone was enough, but as I said, many bad moves by the program, and at the worst time for them to come.  If you're saying this is even more reason we should see success in texas recruiting, then yes it is.
Mack Brown, who was never a great football coach, got lazy with his recruiting and that led to his demise down in Austin. At one time Mack Brown was one of the very best recruiters in America, I'll give him that. After Brown's departure Texas has been wondering in the wilderness and will continue to do so until they find another "lightening in a bottle coach". Any school who can recruit great in Texas will be a constant winner.

Cale

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:18:48 pm
I'd argue Louisiana is as fertile and as important as Texas, imo.
LA has some quality recruits, but Texas produces more than any other state
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Wildhog

Quote from: Cale on December 16, 2017, 02:00:02 pm
LA has some quality recruits, but Texas produces more than any other state

Much higher bust rate, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 02:01:29 pm
They have latched onto Texas being the cure for all the recruiting ills because they basically have nothing else. They know we are not going to get enough players from anywhere else, not SEC LEVEL anyway, so now they hope they can get enough from Texas to at least fill their desire that we have a 7 on 7 type offense.

A lot of truth to his. Texas is the next great solution. Under CBB is was development. Now Texas is the answer.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:18:48 pm
I'd argue Louisiana is as fertile and as important as Texas, imo.

The thing is, while there is a lot more territory to cover to adequately evaluate athletes or connect with coaching staffs to be able to find the hidden and underrated gems, there are just a lot more athletes available to recruit. My guess is that on a percentage basis, the hit or miss rate (percentage wise) from one great football state to another, is probably pretty similar.

The problem with the state of Louisiana is that LSU pretty well has that state locked down. Short of Alabama showing up, the odds of them closing on one of their kids that they have picked out to pursue, is probably pretty high. On a per capita basis I would suggest that it might be more difficult to secure a kid that LSU wants as opposed to a kid that TCU, Houston, A&M, Okla State and these days, that Texas wants. If you are after a kid that Oklahoma wants, short of already having a family connection to Arkansas, I'd say those odds are slim.

That's a part of recruiting too. You set your goals for certain kids that you feel that you have a reasonable chance with, but probably spend less time pursuing a kid that you feel is a long shot, though you may (and probably should) contact him as well.

It's nothing more than a sales process. I've experienced it myself where some people have said, "Don't waste your time with them, we have never had any luck getting to talk to them let alone doing business with them". I didn't pay attention to their pre-conceived notions and time after time, I have secured business with companies who others said, "Don't waste your time...".  It's all about the approach, differentiating yourself from the competition, developing trust and a relationship and of course, being competitive in the things that are important to each potential customer. It's no different in recruiting, you just have to have that conversation about what is most important to people and then make sure you sell your ability to provide that in contrast to the competition.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

The stats are the stats.

What is the percentage of Hispanics in Louisiana?  I'll tell you - 4%. Texas is 37%. How many 3,4 and 5 star Hispanic recruits do you see?

Where are the population centers in Louisiana and Texas?  I'll tell you where. South and Southeastern Louisiana. East and Northeast Texas. Where are Caucasion and African American population centers in Texas?  East and Northeast. Hispanic population is centered in Central and Southwest Texas. Look it up.

You're either ignorant or a troll.

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 16, 2017, 02:15:48 pm
A lot of truth to his. Texas is the next great solution. Under CBB is was development. Now Texas is the answer.

Nonsense. First, I don't recall "development" being some kind of manna where Bielema was concerned. Florida maybe. "Development" is the kind of horse hockey we heard about Petrino. You recruit talent. If it's not developed by the time it sets foot on campus you are screwed. Coaches recruit and manage players and put them in a position to grow as players and succeed in a well planned organization.

The closest concentration of developed athletes is DFW and east and north. Period. The area has been second only to Arkansas for 100 years in feeding Razorbacks football. Petrino got away from Texas and Bielema realized too late what it means.

Realizing the problem we've had with Texas doesn't mean we demphasize other territories within the footprint.  Suggesting that is what is happening is pure stupidity.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 02:30:26 pm
Nonsense. First, I don't recall "development" being some kind of manna where Bielema was concerned. Florida maybe. "Development" is the kind of horse hockey we heard about Petrino. You recruit talent. If it's not developed by the time it sets foot on campus you are screwed. Coaches recruit and manage players and put them in a position to grow as players and succeed in a well planned organization.

The closest concentration of developed athletes is DFW and east and north. Period. The area has been second only to Arkansas for 100 years in feeding Razorbacks football. Petrino got away from Texas and Bielema realized too late what it means.

Realizing the problem we've had with Texas doesn't mean we demphasize other territories within the footprint.  Suggesting that is what is happening is pure stupidity.

It's not nonsense at all. It's true. You must have been logged off for the countless posts about 5th year seniors taking the Hogs to new heights under CBB's development. As for Texas, it makes sense logistically.  However, there is a lot of competition for those Texas boys and those competitors have more games to play in the Lone Star State. CCM helps, but it will be a challenge. You play the hand you are dealt and this is as good as an attempt as any.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 16, 2017, 02:15:48 pm

I don't care which school you are or how highly ranked players may be or how soon they see the field, development is always going to be a part of the process with recruits. Even 5 star recruits develop to some extent during their time in P-5 football.

Texas is a great source of talent that is close by. Some parts of it being closer than most of it, but that doesn't mean that we can't make greater inroads there and pull some great athletes to Arkansas. It will be a recruiting area that has to be re-developed. From 2002-2007 we signed 39 kids from Texas. Under Petrino/JLS (2008-2012) we signed 24. During the Bielema years we signed 16.

I suspect that we will see 8-10 signed each year from Texas under Morris and that is a lot more on the basis of a yearly average than we have seen since 2002.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 16, 2017, 02:45:13 pm
It's not nonsense at all. It's true. You must have been logged off for the countless posts about 5th year seniors taking the Hogs to new heights under CBB's development. As for Texas, it makes sense logistically.  However, there is a lot of competition for those Texas boys and those competitors have more games to play in the Lone Star State. CCM helps, but it will be a challenge. You play the hand you are dealt and this is as good as an attempt as any.

I was excited myself about Bilema's early disussion of emphasis on redshirting. That is not even close to "development" in the context of this Board and your post.

BR

2016 Freshman D1 Players offered Scholarships
Below is the state-by-state breakdown. 

Florida – 336

Texas – 330

California – 224

Georgia – 210

Ohio – 121

Louisiana – 95

Alabama – 91

North Carolina – 83

Michigan – 72

Illinois – 66

Virginia – 58

Pennsylvania – 56

Maryland – 50

New Jersey – 48

Mississippi – 44

Indiana – 38

South Carolina, Tennessee – 36

Washington – 35

Oklahoma, Utah – 33

Missouri – 27

Arizona – 22

Kentucky – 20

New York – 19

Hawaii, Minnesota – 18

Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Wisconsin – 15

Oregon – 14

Nevada – 13

Iowa – 12

Massachusetts – 11

Connecticut – 9

Nebraska, New Mexico, Washington DC – 6

West Virginia – 5

Idaho – 3

Delaware, Wyoming – 2

North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota – 1
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Billy Bats

Quote from: BR on December 16, 2017, 03:01:14 pm
2016 Freshman D1 Players offered Scholarships
Below is the state-by-state breakdown. 

Florida – 336

Texas – 330

California – 224

Georgia – 210

Ohio – 121

Louisiana – 95

Alabama – 91

North Carolina – 83

Michigan – 72

Illinois – 66

Virginia – 58

Pennsylvania – 56

Maryland – 50

New Jersey – 48

Mississippi – 44

Indiana – 38

South Carolina, Tennessee – 36

Washington – 35

Oklahoma, Utah – 33

Missouri – 27

Arizona – 22

Kentucky – 20

New York – 19

Hawaii, Minnesota – 18

Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Wisconsin – 15

Oregon – 14

Nevada – 13

Iowa – 12

Massachusetts – 11

Connecticut – 9

Nebraska, New Mexico, Washington DC – 6

West Virginia – 5

Idaho – 3

Delaware, Wyoming – 2

North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota – 1

This is a mic-drop post in an argument for Arkansas to leave the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 16, 2017, 03:05:14 pm
This is a mic-drop post in an argument for Arkansas to leave the SEC.

Or a graphic illustration of why we have to re- establish our relationship with Texas players.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 02:47:21 pm
I don't care which school you are or how highly ranked players may be or how soon they see the field, development is always going to be a part of the process with recruits. Even 5 star recruits develop to some extent during their time in P-5 football.

Texas is a great source of talent that is close by. Some parts of it being closer than most of it, but that doesn't mean that we can't make greater inroads there and pull some great athletes to Arkansas. It will be a recruiting area that has to be re-developed. From 2002-2007 we signed 39 kids from Texas. Under Petrino/JLS (2008-2012) we signed 24. During the Bielema years we signed 16.

I suspect that we will see 8-10 signed each year from Texas under Morris and that is a lot more on the basis of a yearly average than we have seen since 2002.

I understand development and it's importance. I also understand CBB didn't have some kind of competitive advantage with regard to the development of players. The 4/5 stars at other schools are also getting developed.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 02:51:50 pm
I was excited myself about Bilema's early disussion of emphasis on redshirting. That is not even close to "development" in the context of this Board and your post.

Yes, Phi1. Redshirting allows for physical and mental development. Technique being the final piece.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 16, 2017, 03:22:05 pm
I understand development and it's importance. I also understand CBB didn't have some kind of competitive advantage with regard to the development of players. The 4/5 stars at other schools are also getting developed.

That's what I said. Bielema's plan of development went wrong in most cases for a variety of reasons. I don't think that any of us will disagree with that. But you are alluding to the "next great solution" and whether you agree or not, it is my opinion that recruiting Texas better and to a greater degree will help us. It certainly won't hurt us.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 03:26:39 pm
That's what I said. Bielema's plan of development went wrong in most cases for a variety of reasons. I don't think that any of us will disagree with that. But you are alluding to the "next great solution" and whether you agree or not, it is my opinion that recruiting Texas better and to a greater degree will help us. It certainly won't hurt us.

Agreed. Can't hurt.

Wooderson

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 02:21:59 pm
The stats are the stats.

What is the percentage of Hispanics in Louisiana?  I'll tell you - 4%. Texas is 37%. How many 3,4 and 5 star Hispanic recruits do you see?

Where are the population centers in Louisiana and Texas?  I'll tell you where. South and Southeastern Louisiana. East and Northeast Texas. Where are Caucasion and African American population centers in Texas?  East and Northeast. Hispanic population is centered in Central and Southwest Texas. Look it up.

You're either ignorant or a troll.

Wow. What a tangent you just took. My argument, which is factual, is that per capita or even per d1 scholarships Louisiana athletes have a greater chance of making the NFL than Texas.  You can't argue that. It is fact. 

I assume your response is trying to say that Texas high Latino population skews the data. If that's the case don't go by per capita. Go by ratio of d1 scholarships to NFL players. La is still better than Texas. I almost feel bad upstaging the mental midgets on here.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wooderson on December 15, 2017, 06:47:48 pm
Louisiana footbal>Texas football when it comes to elite talent.  Yes, Texas puts the most kids into college.  By percentage Lousiana kids are by far more likely to be NFL caliber.  It's not debatable. 

Y'all are being sold a bunch of crap with this "We must recruit Texas".  It WILL fail.

LSU puts more recruits into the NFL over time than any other SEC school, though Alabama might be about to pass them up if they haven't already. I'm not sure about the number of kids that come out of Louisiana HS's having a better shot (ratio wise) than other states, even Texas.

If you have a link to a stat that proves that out it might be helpful.

Thanks.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 03:26:39 pm

What we don't need to do is take  players from Texas for the sake of signing Texas players. We have to beat peers and bettors or we might as well beat inferior P5 schools and G5 schools for them in Florida or some other hot place for 3 stars. 

Thinking back, I wonder how much influence Randy Shannon had with the better Florida players like Bielema signed early on.  I know Bielema had a relationship with Collins at Wisconsin, and Collins wasca good fit in Bielema's offense.  The point is that relationships are important.  That's where CCM  can beat schools in Texas at Arkansas he couldn't beat at SMU?

bphi11ips

December 16, 2017, 04:47:22 pm #142 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:09:54 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: Wooderson on December 16, 2017, 04:28:11 pm
Wow. What a tangent you just took. My argument, which is factual, is that per capita or even per d1 scholarships Louisiana athletes have a greater chance of making the NFL than Texas.  You can't argue that. It is fact. 

I assume your response is trying to say that Texas high Latino population skews the data. If that's the case don't go by per capita. Go by ratio of d1 scholarships to NFL players. La is still better than Texas. I almost feel bad upstaging the mental midgets on here.

I stated clearly in my first numbers that Texas has a Hispanic population of 37%, which reduces the population of NFL potential candidates in the Texas population substantially.  To about 17 million vs. About 4.8.  Now you do the math and you'll see the ratio is close enough to be meaningless for the sake of this argument.  It is certainly not "far more likely" that a Louisiana athlete will play in the NFL than a Texas athlete. What you are really avoiding because it undermines your theory is that about 12% of Texans are African American while 32% of Lousiana's population is African American. 68% of NFL players are African American. 28% are white. 4% are Hispanic, Asian / Pacific Islander or respond Mixed Ethnicity or Other. That should end this ridiculous discussion.

Athletes are a product of population and demographics.  Period.  The fact is that there are many more potential NFL caliber athletes in Arkansas' s footprint in Texas than in Louisiana, where the population is concentrated 10 to 12 hours from Fayetteville, without regard to numbers in Texas.

You were full of it the first time you said Louisiana produces more NFL players than Texas, and you're still full of it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 04:36:12 pm
What we don't need to do is take  players from Texas for the sake of signing Texas players. We have to beat peers and bettors or we might as well beat inferior P5 schools and G5 schools for them in Florida or some other hot place for 3 stars. 

Thinking back, I wonder how much influence Randy Shannon had with the better Florida players like Bielema signed early on.  I know Bielema had a relationship with Collins at Wisconsin, and Collins wasca good fit in Bielema's offense.  The point is that relationships are important.  That's where CCM  can beat schools in Texas at Arkansas he couldn't beat at SMU?

Some of Shannon's recruits were the ones who didn't stick as I recall.

Obviously it is about targeting and recruiting players regardless of who else is pursuing them. You can't just go after "Player A" or "Player B" because your competition is going after them. You have to need them to execute your particular philosophy on both sides of the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

Quote from: Warrior Way 22 on December 15, 2017, 01:21:04 pm
There is a ton of speed in Texas...great place to get RB's, receivers, secondary pieces, and LB's. If you can take the SEC talent from Arkansas and couple that with speed from other areas (mainly East Texas and Southern Louisiana) then I think the Razorbacks are going to see a lot of improvement.
agree  but you have to get the big lineman from the Deep South

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Paul on December 16, 2017, 05:02:28 pm
agree  but you have to get the big lineman from the Deep South
There were, in 2016, 33 OL on NFL rosters from Texas.  22 of those were OT's.

Do you think, with the problems we have had finding Tackles at Arkansas, that maybe we should find some OL in Texas?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Paul

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 16, 2017, 05:32:51 pm
There were, in 2016, 33 OL on NFL rosters from Texas.  22 of those were OT's.

Do you think, with the problems we have had finding Tackles at Arkansas, that maybe we should find some OL in Texas?
yeah that's impressive. Wonder how many from La, Ms & Ga?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Paul on December 16, 2017, 05:41:27 pm
yeah that's impressive. Wonder how many from La, Ms & Ga?

I think states like Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska and others might have more.  I talked to a guy a few years ago that was a college athlete...in wrestling.  He was convinced that wrestling is what prepared H.S. kids for offensive and defensive line play. 

Just passing along his theory without any supporting evidence.
Retired Radio Host

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 04:54:24 pm
Some of Shannon's recruits were the ones who didn't stick as I recall.

Obviously it is about targeting and recruiting players regardless of who else is pursuing them. You can't just go after "Player A" or "Player B" because your competition is going after them. You have to need them to execute your particular philosophy on both sides of the ball.

You target a player in general based upon need and best available. There will be competition for best available. We are going to lose most of the time for best available. When we are the best offer for an out-of-state recruit is when we often wind up with dead weight. When we beat our peers and higher is when we generally wind up with an impact player. It's always been that way.

Hoggish1

Quote from: zuko on December 15, 2017, 01:02:27 pm
There is a lot of talk about Coach Morris's ability to recruit in Texas and I wonder why that is so important.

Because it is so close, next to MO, MS, TN, OK, LA and KS.  Otherwise there is no reason to go there...