Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obscure Fact for Those Who Love HOG Gear on Cars

Started by razoredge178, December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razoredge178

Those of us that like to cover our cars in flags and magnets may find this interesting..

Have you noticed you can't buy the HOG magnets that face both left and right, or the flags that have HOGs that face left and right (so that when you're driving down the road your HOGs are facing the same direction)??

Turns out that Mike Harris, Director of Licensing, under the direction of Jeff Long, licensed the HOG to be right-facing only a couple of years ago. Turns out that they didn't do this by accident, but on purpose, despite complaints from shops and distributors.

It also turns out that every Razorback shop in the state has complained to Mike b/c lots of customers like me don't want a HOG magnet with the HOG facing backwards, or flags that do the same. Word on the street is that Mike has taken a lot of heat about this.

Want to turn up the heat? Send Mike an email at  harrismr@uark.edu, or tweet him at @MikeHarrisUA.

JayHog

hog of steele

We are short part of this story. Why did they only agree to face one way? If it isn't an accident, what was the explanation?

Hoggish1

DeltaBoy

Glad Jeff the Carpet Bagger Long is GONE!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razoredge178

Quote from: hog of steele on December 14, 2017, 02:04:13 pm
We are short part of this story. Why did they only agree to face one way? If it isn't an accident, what was the explanation?

Branding 101 says a logo or brand should be the same/consistent. In principle what they did makes sense.

The question that was asked was, why not license both? Apparently this question doesn't bring a good answer, so its about this time that Mike Harris tells ya to go pound sand.

hog of steele

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
Branding 101 says a logo or brand should be the same/consistent. In principle what they did makes sense.

I get it if you have the nike swoosh. But the hog is clearly definable either direction. And having it run forward makes sense to me. Seems our guys out though themselves.

Alternative theory: Coke patented the left running hog. We can only get him back if we switch to coke in the stadium!

elksnort

Actually, interesting post. Especially in the dog days of the defensive coordinator search.

Another tidbit. Do any of you all realize that the University of Arkansas does not completely own their own fight song?

Weird huh? Correct me if I am wrong.

Razorbackers

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm
Those of us that like to cover our cars in flags and magnets may find this interesting..

Have you noticed you can't buy the HOG magnets that face both left and right, or the flags that have HOGs that face left and right (so that when you're driving down the road your HOGs are facing the same direction)??

Turns out that Mike Harris, Director of Licensing, under the direction of Jeff Long, licensed the HOG to be right-facing only a couple of years ago. Turns out that they didn't do this by accident, but on purpose, despite complaints from shops and distributors.

It also turns out that every Razorback shop in the state has complained to Mike b/c lots of customers like me don't want a HOG magnet with the HOG facing backwards, or flags that do the same. Word on the street is that Mike has taken a lot of heat about this.

Want to turn up the heat? Send Mike an email at  harrismr@uark.edu, or tweet him at @MikeHarrisUA.

hog of steele

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 02:20:47 pm
Actually, interesting post. Especially in the dog days of the defensive coordinator search.

Another tidbit. Do any of you all realize that the University of Arkansas does not completely own their own fight song?

Weird huh? Correct me if I am wrong.

We definitely don't own it. I heard another school play it. I think it was write wright state.

elksnort

Quote from: hog of steele on December 14, 2017, 02:23:23 pm
We definitely don't own it. I heard another school play it. I think it was write wright state.
Yes, Wright State in Ohio. It was weird hearing it from another school besides Arkansas.

I guess some intellectual rights company owns it. I know that Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan and other schools have their fight songs played by thousands of high schools throughout the country.

LZH

The question that was asked was, why not license both? Apparently this question doesn't bring a good answer, so its about this time that Mike Harris tells ya to go pound sand.

So the Hog on the left side of our helmets are actually backwards?

Hoggish1

This is the response I got from Michael:

Hoggish,
We use both directions when we are showing a direction and have two sides (like the football helmet). When there is just one logo on an item or it is by itself, then we only do right facing (same as the direction a person reads (Left to Right). It is for brand consistency.

I hope this answers your question.

Michael Harris
Director of Licensing & Revenue Generation
University of Arkansas
P: (479) 575-3517

Uh, I told him I want the hog to face the same direction my car was going for both sides of the car.  He hasn't responded yet...

LZH

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 14, 2017, 02:36:25 pm

Hoggish,
We use both directions when we are showing a direction and have two sides (like the football helmet). When there is just one logo on an item or it is by itself, then we only do right facing (same as the direction a person reads (Left to Right). It is for brand consistency.

Michael Harris
University of Arkansas

Uh, I told him I want the hog to face the same direction my car was going for both sides of the car.  He hasn't responded yet...

Maybe when magnet sales drop off the map they'll reconsider their genius marketing strategy.

Ex-Trumpet

So, I guess this opens a loophole for some enterprising individual since UA doesn't own the left-facing hog?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

3of5-2

It's a ploy to get you to buy them in sets and not singles. That way they make more money. It's always about money with these guys. So if you have a set of car magnets on your car, and somebody steals one, then you have to buy another complete set to replace the one you lost.

hog of steele

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 14, 2017, 02:44:52 pm
So, I guess this opens a loophole for some enterprising individual since UA doesn't own the left-facing hog?

You would want to go fast on that. You could probably make a few dollars before receiving the Cease and Desist letter.

HoggyCat

Luckily for me, I can make my own flags & magnets.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

razoredge178

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 02:45:02 pm
It's a ploy to get you to buy them in sets and not singles. That way they make more money. It's always about money with these guys. So if you have a set of car magnets on your car, and somebody steals one, then you have to buy another complete set to replace the one you lost.

They're not available in sets...haven't been for a couple of years. Razorback shops hope that Mike opens this opportunity back up, but currently the left-facing HOG isn't available, AT ALL.

go hogues

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 02:28:14 pm
Yes, Wright State in Ohio. It was weird hearing it from another school besides Arkansas.

I guess some intellectual rights company owns it. I know that Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan and other schools have their fight songs played by thousands of high schools throughout the country.
And Florida/Alabama share a song, as do Auburn and Georgia.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

LZH

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 14, 2017, 02:44:52 pm

Boom! Better hurry!

a0ashle

Apparently this has been such a big deal that we've all been losing sleep over long before this post on HV.

3of5-2

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 02:55:35 pm
They're not available in sets...haven't been for a couple of years. Razorback shops hope that Mike opens this opportunity back up, but currently the left-facing HOG isn't available, AT ALL.
Of course they are, you just have to find the right store that has them. And no, I won't be advertising for any stores like Harp's or TSC that might have them.

elksnort

Quote from: go hogues on December 14, 2017, 02:56:08 pm
And Florida/Alabama share a song, as do Auburn and Georgia.
Florida and Alabama share a short melody/jingle thing. Auburn will play Glory Hallelujah which is the music to UGa'S fight song.

factchecker

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 02:45:02 pm
It's always about money with these guys.

I will never understand this complaint by "fans".  You bitch about the program wanting to make money but expect them to break the bank to hire the best coaches.  People want a winning program but not pay the price.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

buldozer

Yep makes perfect sense.... for a yankee who doesn't know anything about AR or care to learn.... glad he is gone! WPS!!!

3of5-2

There's fair, and then there's greed. All of the royalty increases, ticket price increases, and foundation "donation", all of that gets passed on the average fan. We are told which cola we can drink, which left/right facing hog magnet we can buy, heck you can't even buy shirts with the old logos on them unless you are willing to pay twice the price at Houndstooth. Greedy!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 14, 2017, 02:36:25 pm

Hoggish,

Michael Harris
University of Arkansas

They should sell the car magnets in pairs only...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

East Clintwood

So glad that Jeffy is gone.

Probably should send Michael packing too if he doesn't change his tune on this.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

factchecker

December 14, 2017, 03:32:32 pm #29 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:53:43 pm by factchecker
Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 03:19:10 pm
We are told which cola we can drink

Good lord.

THE PEPSI DEAL WAS A CAMPUS WIDE DECISION.

If you want a different cola then either:

Write to Coca-Cola and tell them to outbid Pepsi  OR  fork up the $20 million to the university.

The university cares about getting the most money for the campus, staff, and students.  They don't care what some fan wants to drink 6 times a year.

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 03:19:10 pm
heck you can't even buy shirts with the old logos on them unless you are willing to pay twice the price at Houndstooth. Greedy!

http://shop.arkansasrazorbacks.com/search/retro

https://southerntrend.com/collections/razorback-football?page=2
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ncrebel

I must have bought my Razorback car magnets before this took effect.  I have had both right and left facing hog magnets for at least 5 years.  Got them either at Wal-Mart or a shop in Eureka Springs.  I only use them on game day and store them on a refrigerator in the garage the rest of the time. 
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

Tusks

I think using the term 'brand' and the 'hogs' should be 'banned'

I know what fricken branding means, but in this instance it was Jeff Long giving the finger to all the hog fans about everything related to razorback marketing.

There was NOTHING WRONG with the razorback brand.  Just a way to push product around or in this case another Jeff Long peeing down the legs of hog fans and telling them it's raining.

Thank GOD jeff has been sent to the pit of misery.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

buldozer

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 03:32:32 pm

The university cares about getting the most money for the campus, staff, and students.  They don't care what some fan wants to drink 6 times a year.

Exactly right. The problem the university has is that the fans are the customers, not the athletic or other staff ... And once they figure this out again they will be getting back on the right track. Its not just about coke or pepsi its the fact the fans have not been treated as the customer as of late. This just happens to be a perfect example.... Some fans are pissed about the drinks, some about the unis, some about the logo, and on and on. Put it all together you end up with a new AD. Now lets see if they have learned anything, this guy has a chance to prove himself.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Tusks

Good lord.

Write to Coca-Cola and tell them to outbid Pepsi  OR  fork up the $120 million to the university.

Or, do ones job, and negotiate UP the coke deal and make fans happy while maximizing ones earning potential from a deal.

The deal doesnt have to be campus wide, ya know.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

3of5-2

Good lord.

Write to Coca-Cola and tell them to outbid Pepsi  OR  fork up the $120 million to the university.

How about the UofA carry products from both, negotiate the lower price and pass it on to all of the fans, whether it's 6 times a year or everyday of the year. Maybe if the ticket prices were lower, they could actually fill the stadium for every game.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 03:53:47 pm
How about the UofA carry products from both, negotiate the lower price and pass it on to all of the fans, whether it's 6 times a year or everyday of the year. Maybe if the ticket prices were lower, they could actually fill the stadium for every game.

Tickets sold and fill the stadium for every game aren't the same thing. Upper deck season tickets were $250 I believe last year, cheap enough. They lowered concession prices in 2016?? I believe, but some will bitch anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on December 14, 2017, 03:52:37 pm
Or, do ones job, and negotiate UP the coke deal and make fans happy while maximizing ones earning potential from a deal.

The deal doesnt have to be campus wide, ya know.

Would you only want part of the campus of you were the beverage company?

factchecker

How about the UofA carry products from both, negotiate the lower price and pass it on to all of the fans, whether it's 6 times a year or everyday of the year.

Good luck getting Pepsi and Coca-Cola to coexist on the same campus.  Most vendors have it stated in the contract that you can only carry their product. I think it would be easier for our fans to try and not be whiny [CENSORED] about soda.

Maybe if the ticket prices were lower, they could actually fill the stadium for every game.

The tickets sold ----- selling tickets and getting people to show up are two different things.

So you want to lower tickets but also go hire the best coach ---- with what money?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

3of5-2

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 03:58:41 pm
Tickets sold and fill the stadium for every game aren't the same thing. Upper deck season tickets were $250 I believe last year, cheap enough. They lowered concession prices in 2016?? I believe, but some will bitch anyway.
$3.00 for a warm bottle of water, cost on that is probably around .32 cents. Yeah that's fair. Not every fan can afford even the "cheap enough" tickets, but I appreciate your ability to relate to us anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:08:03 pm
$3.00 for a warm bottle of water, cost on that is probably around .32 cents. Yeah that's fair. Not every fan can afford even the "cheap enough" tickets, but I appreciate your ability to relate to us anyway.

Cheaper than when it was $4........and tickets were plenty cheap this year on the after market, so it appears you just wish to bitch about something.

3of5-2

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 04:01:58 pm
Good luck getting Pepsi and Coca-Cola to coexist on the same campus.  Most vendors have it stated in the contract that you can only carry their product. I think it would be easier for our fans to try and not be whiny [CENSORED] about soda.

The tickets sold ----- selling tickets and getting people to show up are two different things.

So you want to lower tickets but also go hire the best coach ---- with what money?
Competition is good for everybody. Ticket prices are not used to hire the best coach.

ricepig

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:10:22 pm
Competition is good for everybody. Ticket prices are not used to hire the best coach.

No, revenue is, which ticket sales contribute $30m+.

factchecker

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:08:03 pm
Not every fan can afford even the "cheap enough" tickets, but I appreciate your ability to relate to us anyway.

Whose fault is that?

If you can't afford tickets from the ticket office you can get them from the secondary market.

If $6 tickets are too expensive then you need to worry about other things than going to a game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

3of5-2

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 04:10:06 pm
Cheaper than when it was $4........and tickets were plenty cheap this year on the after market, so it appears you just wish to bitch about something.
Wow! You are stellar in your rationalization of things. I'm sure you probably have a vested interest in some of these areas, so I get it.

factchecker

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 14, 2017, 04:10:22 pm
Ticket prices are not used to hire the best coach.

Where do you think our revenue comes from?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

December 14, 2017, 04:15:07 pm #47 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:19:08 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm

Lost one of my magnets that faced different directions about five years ago. I replaced the set and they were not the same facing. Unless that is before this edict went out then it's false. I also believe I did indeed see them sold as a set in a Hog shop lately. Plus then why do they sell stick on decals facing both directions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

3of5-2

Quote from: factchecker on December 14, 2017, 04:12:59 pm
Whose fault is that?

If you can't afford tickets from the ticket office you can get them from the secondary market.

If $6 tickets are too expensive then you need to worry about other things than going to a game.
That's great, you are just assuming I can't afford tickets, but I can. Just trying get past all of the BS about why things cost what they cost.

LZH