Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic replacements for Bielema

Started by Hawgwild15, October 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TX HOG

Yep. Those top 4 will probably go fast.

HawgTide

Quote from: TX HOG on October 15, 2017, 09:30:06 am
I think the two have very little in common. He was really good at Toledo and he didn't take over a good program at Iowa St. Norvell was left a decent program by Fuente. Campbell has more HC experience and had built a program and I think he's doing the same at Iowa St

I think Campbell would be a great hire and I would love to have him as our coach. He took over a good team at Toledo and maintained it. He hasn't built anything at Iowa St yet but they are going the right direction in his second year. We would be lucky to get either one. IMHO there's a good chance Long will screw this up

The_Iceman

A name I'm becoming more interested in is Chad Morris. He hasn't really taken off at SMU yet, but he has a couple of things that would make him a very good fit here:

1) Great offensive mind

2) Strong recruiting ties in Texas

I think he would be a good hire if some stronger names don't pan out.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: bondhue on October 12, 2017, 01:04:39 am
een]1. Venables
2. Kyle Whittngham
3. Norvell
4. Skip Holtz
5. Mike Leach

1. Venables
2. Kyle Whittngham
3. Norvell
4. Skip Holtz
5. Mike Leach

Other than Venables, who I believe would make one helluva head coach, and Mike Leach, are the only ones among these I'd give thoughts about.

elviscat

1. Top priority is Texas- someone who has a background with the high school coachers.
2. Great recruiter and staff that knows how to evaluate talent.
3. Hates to lose and is a workalhoic
4.Nasty attitude
5. Great salesman

ur

Quote from: elviscat on October 15, 2017, 04:25:27 pm
1. Top priority is Texas- someone who has a background with the high school coachers.
2. Great recruiter and staff that knows how to evaluate talent.
3. Hates to lose and is a workalhoic
4.Nasty attitude
5. Great salesman
Here is your "Man". (posted earlier but worth another post)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on October 15, 2017, 03:47:39 pm
1. Venables
2. Kyle Whittngham
3. Norvell
4. Skip Holtz
5. Mike Leach

Other than Venables, who I believe would make one helluva head coach, and Mike Leach, are the only ones among these I'd give thoughts about.

So your lover boy Leach is undefeated ..............OOPS no wait never mind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

We will hire whoever is left after all the other P5 schools fill their vacancies. Probably wind up with an assistant coach at an SEC school.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 16, 2017, 07:40:13 pm
We will hire whoever is left after all the other P5 schools fill their vacancies. Probably wind up with an assistant coach at an SEC school.

Boy I hope your wrong. We really need someone who has built a program and recruited Louisiana and Texas.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 16, 2017, 10:02:00 pm
Boy I hope your wrong. We really need someone who has built a program and recruited Louisiana and Texas.

Nah, most likely an ACC Coordinator.

Georgia took a big chance when they went after Kirby Smart, who was one of Saban's coordinators and look what he is accomplishing at Georgia this year. Going after a coordinator as a head coach is good if they get the right one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Realistically, Hogs somehow manage 6-6 this year, go to a bowl game, and CBB is retained.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GuvHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 17, 2017, 08:27:43 am
Realistically, Hogs somehow manage 6-6 this year, go to a bowl game, and CBB is retained.

They'd have to win 4 of their last 6 games and that is a very tall order.

Hogwild

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 17, 2017, 08:27:43 am

CBB winning 6 games this season isn't realistic

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogwild on October 17, 2017, 08:49:37 am
CBB winning 6 games this season isn't realistic

Lol, good point!

However, it isn't out of the realm of possibility either.  Coastal Carolina, Mizzou, MSU, and Ole Miss are all winnable games...maybe not probable but certainly winnable.  Throw in erratic performances this year by both LSU and Auburn and those are not out of the realm of possibility either.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 08:17:55 am
Nah, most likely an ACC Coordinator.

Georgia took a big chance when they went after Kirby Smart, who was one of Saban's coordinators and look what he is accomplishing at Georgia this year. Going after a coordinator as a head coach is good if they get the right one.

it wasn't a "big" risk know why? because Georgia and the surrounding area is littered with elite football talent.  If a school is saturated in elite players and isn't performing that is something a coach can correct.  If a school is not saturated in elite players and is not performing that is TWICE the work that a coach has to figure out a way to fix, that is a BIG risk.

That is why whom ever comes here either has to be a coach with so much clout that kids disregard the history/record and come to play for the coach, and/or is so skilled in the X's and O's and player development that they can over come our traditional recruit/development issues.

It will take a very unique person to turn this ship around, it cannot be a coach on the back side of their prime, or a CEO coach etc. 

If you watched Saban on the sidelines in our game you can clearly see what it would take for us to win.  A coach about to pop a coronary against a team that had no shot to win from the get go already up by almost 40 points STILL coaching STILL demanding performance.

Say what you want about him but he is what makes that thing go.  The coach has to have infinite resolve and drive.  You can't just stand there staring off into space. 

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on October 17, 2017, 09:23:18 am
it wasn't a "big" risk know why? because Georgia and the surrounding area is littered with elite football talent.  If a school is saturated in elite players and isn't performing that is something a coach can correct.  If a school is not saturated in elite players and is not performing that is TWICE the work that a coach has to figure out a way to fix, that is a BIG risk.

That is why whom ever comes here either has to be a coach with so much clout that kids disregard the history/record and come to play for the coach, and/or is so skilled in the X's and O's and player development that they can over come our traditional recruit/development issues.

It will take a very unique person to turn this ship around, it cannot be a coach on the back side of their prime, or a CEO coach etc. 

If you watched Saban on the sidelines in our game you can clearly see what it would take for us to win.  A coach about to pop a coronary against a team that had no shot to win from the get go already up by almost 40 points STILL coaching STILL demanding performance.

Say what you want about him but he is what makes that thing go.  The coach has to have infinite resolve and drive.  You can't just stand there staring off into space. 

You just described Brent Venables to a tee and that's my point. He should easily be #1 on the list of coaches being considered to become Hog HC.

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 09:27:11 am
You just described Brent Venables to a tee and that's my point. He should easily be #1 on the list of coaches being considered to become Hog HC.

i would not question the hire, i would be interested whom he got to be the OC.  If i had to guess though i would expect some FOTM spread offense, prairie dog type thing.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on October 17, 2017, 09:30:19 am
i would not question the hire, i would be interested whom he got to be the OC.  If i had to guess though i would expect some FOTM spread offense, prairie dog type thing.

Which would make most of the people here happy, until of course they saw it wasn't going to win more than any other offense is going to win here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorsharptusk

I hope that Auburn keeps Gus at least another year.  If they fire Gus, and Arkansas fires Brett, Gus will want to come back home and I'm afraid many would welcome him here. 
GO HOGS!!

Pig in the Pokey

was Bielema on the Hogville coaching search list, or was he considered "Nonrealistic"....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NoogaHog

October 17, 2017, 10:05:38 am #270 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:21:23 am by NoogaHog
He was not on anyone's list. He had a good job and no one on Hogville knew he was looking. He was way out of left field. So was Petrino BTW.

Probably the closest equivalent I can think of today would be James Franklin. He is having success where he is and seems to be stable and happy. If he was named to another job it would be a surprise to everyone.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

pigatron

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 17, 2017, 09:59:27 am
I hope that Auburn keeps Gus at least another year.  If they fire Gus, and Arkansas fires Brett, Gus will want to come back home and I'm afraid many would welcome him here. 

I will welcome anybody here that wins. 

But, most here will run a coach off before he even takes the field.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 09:51:22 am
Which would make most of the people here happy, until of course they saw it wasn't going to win more than any other offense is going to win here.

Hey, if the next coach can win at least 8 regular season games a year after the first year and occasionally bump up to 9 or 10 regular season wins along with an occasional shot at winning the SEC West, I'd be perfectly okay with that. This is Bret's 5th season at Arkansas and he has yet to have a year here where he won 8 regular season games. That isn't getting it done.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am
This is Bret's 5th season at Arkansas and he has yet to have a year here where he won 8 regular season games. That isn't getting it done.

Agreed, and I have said I could not care less if they keep him or let him go.
Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am
Hey, if the next coach can win at least 8 regular season games a year after the first year and occasionally bump up to 9 or 10 regular season wins along with an occasional shot at winning the SEC West, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

We had that and most fans wanted him gone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3Bombs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 13, 2017, 12:15:24 pm
Skip would be good here.  Haven't thought about him.

+1000

This has to be some kind of troll job.

hogsanity

Quote from: 3Bombs on October 17, 2017, 02:21:55 pm
This has to be some kind of troll job.

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 02:05:56 pm
Agreed, and I have said I could not care less if they keep him or let him go.
We had that and most fans wanted him gone.

Who?  Nutt?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

pigroots

1.Ties in Texas and good recruiter? Chad Morris at SMU (they may win 8 this year)
2. Can take what we have and recruit better without changing approach...Charlie Strong
3. Up and comer...Scott Frost or Jeff Brohm
4. Please don't take the bait...Les Miles
5. Unrealistic....Gundy,Petrino, Gruden
6. Win at all costs...(they would win)....Art Briles, Hugh Freeze
Would love to get Frost but Morris might be a great hire

PonderinHog

texhog22

Here is one of the Hurdles of Coaching football at the University of Arkansas. We all know the obvious ones ( SEC west). But here is in my opinion, the biggest factor to overcome here. And its always overlooked. Players who are recruited here and wind up here are put on an extremely high pedestal. Many times undeservedly so. The players we get CANNOT have an attitude that they have reached the pentacle  of success! I truly think kids are easily swayed to this way of thinking and is the HEAD COACHES job to keep them grounded and focused. Part of that is chewing "arse" in practice and in games. (ala Nick Saban).

Big_Red_1

Quote from: Big_Red_1 on October 15, 2017, 11:41:47 am
My list would include these guys in order:

Scott Frost
Matt Campbell
Mike Norvell
Jeff Brohns
Blake Anderson
Major Applewhite
Venables

Not anything new but the order may surprise.

I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

ballinhog

I like Gary Patterson. The way TCU plays and recruits is the model we need to follow even if we don't get Patterson. Everyone knows we have to be different here and the way they have the spread offense typically ran by a dual threat QB is the way we need to go on offense IMO and defensively it seems to me that Patterson just simply emphasizes speed speed and more speed.

We know we can't recruit with the likes of Bama, LSU and Georgia consistently, we're just not gonna match them in size and speed both, but we can sacrifice size to make sure we at least still have the speed. Our new coach should make it a goal to make us the fastest defense in college football and then blitz blitz blitz.

I have a man crush right now on TCU football, just the way they do things, I know we can do them too with the right coach. Santos Ramirez for example, under GP he possibly would be an undersized outside linebacker, where he all a sudden would look really fast.

Either way, anybody but Bielema. Hell I'd take Nutt over him

rhames

Patterson would be my dream choice I just don't think we have a chance. He has a sweet gig at TCU.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

pigroots

Patterson is rock solid at TCU til he wants to go. Then they'll build a statue for him. He aint going anywhere

ballinhog

Quote from: pigroots on October 22, 2017, 08:10:18 pm
Patterson is rock solid at TCU til he wants to go. Then they'll build a statue for him. He aint going anywhere

I know it would be dang near impossible to get him. Just saying I would love if we could and if not then I just hope whoever we get follows that same model

rhames

Quote from: ballinhog on October 22, 2017, 08:16:32 pm
I know it would be dang near impossible to get him. Just saying I would love if we could and if not then I just hope whoever we get follows that same model

For sure. I like what he and what Gundy has done. If Gundy isn't interested, ask Campbell.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

pigroots

I honestly think Chad Morris is a real possibility. He checks most of the boxes. Norvell worries me because he's still running the program that Fuentes got rolling. Will he be able to maintain it? Hiring a coach is a crapshoot. I would like to find the next Chris Peterson but when we hired CBB it was universally called a "home run hire." It hasn't turned out that way even though supposedly our recruiting is getting better. I don't think we are in position to get an established coach so my guess is we'll hire an "up and comer." Not many sane guys are looking to butt heads in the SEC West but I want a guy willing to take that challenge and embrace it.(To be the man you've got to beat the man) Maybe Venables is that guy. Our legacy guy could be Charlie Strong. He's got the experience and wouldn't be scared of the SEC. His philosophy is similar to CBB but he would probably be a better recruiter being from this area. I think he's one that might stay 15 years if he turns it around. I do think he's has a bigger bust factor after watching Texas in his tenure there. It is going to be an interesting 3 months

Arkansas Fan

I'd try and talk to Gundy, Venables, and Campbell.

jacobp

Joey friggin Freshwater, baby. He could recruit and he knows how to utilize speed.

HiggiePiggy

We need to go after Herman Boone or Bill Yoast.  Offer them whatever and make them say no. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogTakes

I'm on board with Kiffin/freshwater at this point. Let's bring some excitement to a program that needs it.

deedster84

mlloyd4

I don't see anyone listed in this thread that is both 1) realistic and 2) a better candidate than BB was when Long hired him back in 2013.
The next coach is high risk entering a high risk environment.
WPS

hogsolutely

Matt Campbell is my #1 choice!  went on the road again this weekend an dominated TTU. 

TX HOG

Quote from: bacon&eggs on October 23, 2017, 07:14:21 am
I don't see anyone listed in this thread that is both 1) realistic and 2) a better candidate than BB was when Long hired him back in 2013.
The next coach is high risk entering a high risk environment.

I think Matt Campbell actually is both of those

TNRazorbacker

October 23, 2017, 09:24:25 am #297 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:54:50 am by TNRazorbacker
Quote from: tncbg on October 23, 2017, 07:33:18 am
Arkansas is a career killer. Other than BP, are any former coaches still out there? Who wants to jump into the SEC West and try to compete? Bielema was an accomplished coach before taking this job. Had he stayed at Wisconsin, he would still be considered a consistent winner in a strong league. This was a horrible career move for him, who wants to follow him into oblivion?

Really?? Lets look at the last several coaches:

1) Lou Holtz: Do we really need to discuss? Probably one of the most highly regarded coaches in history. Did quite well here and his success here essentially launched him.

2) Hatfield went to Clemson, which was largely viewed as a promotion at the time. 2 SWC championships. His time at Arkansas was a resume builder not a hindrance, and the peak of his career.

3) Crow: Coached one game I recall. Really only a space filler.

4) Danny Ford: Ford is the only coach prior to current situation I'd say really had no success. He was likely canned before the fruits of his efforts paid off.

5) Houston Nutt: Although largely derided by us he left AR well respected in the football community in general. Won 3 SEC West division titles. Left AR for another lucrative SEC West contract where he proceeded to nosedive. Arkansas was easily the peak of his career.

6) Bobby Petrino. Arguably fielded the two best teams of his NCAA head coaching career at AR. His 2011 team would likely have won any conference outside the SEC that year. Prior to the motorcycle incident (and the character question in general)  Petrino would have been a top candidate for any college coaching position in the nation.

7) Smiley- space filler again

And this bring us to the coaching present. Looking at the above explain how AR is a resume killer?

As for Bielema, he could probably have coasted a few more years but his welcome was wearing out quickly at Wisconsin. He had lost the fan base. If you go back to look at their criticism its very similar to what we are saying now. Furthermore, even through an additional coaching turnover their record has been better without him than with him. Bielema was just a bad fit for here. Happens all the time with hires at all levels.

Arkansas isn't a destination for winning easy championships but it isn't a hopeless cause either, not nearly. Its been demonstrated clearly that a good coach can win here. Hell even Nutt had several good seasons here and I wouldn't say he's was a great coaching mind.

The type of coach that we need is exactly the type that looks at us in our SEC West position, sees the opportunity it presents, and relishes the challenge. Trust me there are a lot of talented ambitious coaches that would jump wholeheartedly at the opportunity.

MJ2

They need to just put an add in the paper and take resumes.   See who's interested and stop chasing high dollar losers.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: tncbg on October 23, 2017, 07:33:18 am
Arkansas is a career killer. Other than BP, are any former coaches still out there? Who wants to jump into the SEC West and try to compete? Bielema was an accomplished coach before taking this job. Had he stayed at Wisconsin, he would still be considered a consistent winner in a strong league. This was a horrible career move for him, who wants to follow him into oblivion?

Hard to argue with this, although I believe it to be circumstantial. 

Lou Holtz?  Ken Hatfield?  Nutt?  All made moves at the time that were lateral at best.

Now, Arkansas assistant coaches?  Completely different conversation!