Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

today's rubber game with the bulldogs

Started by flippinhogmana, April 24, 2017, 03:43:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

I wonder if storms or CH will start today?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

game time is at 6:00 pm.  I will try to do the pbp, but anyone else is welcome to chip in, or to do it either way.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Maybe Deifel does the pitch by committee thing that she did against TAMU on Sunday - start Storms for one trip through the lineup, bring in CH, and then close with Storms?

flippinhogmana

could be that, I would start CH though.  Put her back in the saddle, don't let her get thrown and stew on it.  Warrick might be good for an inning or so, and then if you were to get a big lead, would you try to future risk Moll for the chance of resurrecting her?  I agree with closing with storms if its necessary.  She shows a bulldog mentality (with no credit to the bulldogs we are facing!)

flippinhogmana

lineups are now posted and storms is in the circle to start

flippinhogmana

this will be a rematch of game one, silkwood is in the circle for the dogs

flippinhogmana

storms can beat these dogs if she stays ahead in the count, keeps the ball down and gets some run support.  I really believe the hogs are the better of the two teams, even on the road.  If the hogs win today they will effectively move ahead of the dogs in the standing even though they will have the same number of wins and more losses than the dogs.  Dogs schedule from here on out is much more difficult too.

flippinhogmana

The only change in the lineup today is that Krzysko is playing cf and Rachel Box is the DH.

Dr. Starcs

Semi-off topic, but is Coach Diefel that attractive in person?  She looks pretty hot on tv.

And just like that, Home Run!

flippinhogmana

or rather the lineup is the same except for that change, but the batting order moves Yani up ahead of Dias who drops down to eighth

Autumn Russell leads it off gets behind 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, and then lines out to 2B, one down
Krzysko also falls behind 0-1, 1-1, and grounds out to 3rd, two down
Cooper falls behind 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, and knocks it over the fence in right, 1-0 hogs!
Belans also takes the first pitch for a strike, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and walks, two down, one on for Schroeder
Nicole geets ahead 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, full, also walks, two on, two out for Hiers,
Shelby again takes the first pitch, 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, full, then strikes out looking, two left but the hogs take a 1-0 lead on Cooper's solo shot. 1-0 hogs to the bottom of the 1st

flippinhogmana

Robinson the leadoff hitter has had a good series, gets ahead 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and walks, not what you like to see after taking the lead, one on nobody out to start,
2nd hitter works a 1-1 count, falls behind 1-2, and gets an infield single to 3b, two on nobody out,
3rd place hitter gets ahead 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, grounds to ss for the FC at 2nd, runner advances to 3rd, one down, two on,
clean up hitter has also had a good series, also grounds to ss, two down, but ties it up
5th hitter grounds out to ss to end the inning, dogs leave one, 1-1 to the top of the 2nd

flippinhogmana

hogs might want to rethink their strategy of taking the first pitch, its been a strike pretty much all the time and they wind up hitting behind in the count even though Cooper hit the dinger with a two strike count.
Yani leads off works a 2-2 count while I was typing, 3-2, and walks to get it started,
Diaz singles and advances on the third as Yani tried for third and made it, runners on 2nd and 3rd for Box with nobody out, Beringhele PR for Diaz,
Box works a 1-1 count as I type, 1-2, and then fouls out without getting the runner home, but just one down still.
top of the order Russell, 1-1 count, 1-2, 2-2, grounds out to 3rd, Yani out trying to score, two down runners on 1st and 3rd,
Krzysko gets ahead 1-0, and flies out to lf...the baseball Gods dont usually let you get by with blowing scoring chances like we just did, 4 left now, still 1-1

Dr. Starcs

Good lord this home plate ump is awful.

Does the NCAA not evaluate these morons?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 24, 2017, 06:45:43 pm
Good lord this home plate ump is awful.

Does the NCAA not evaluate these morons?

She is absolutely incompetent. Two blown calls in the last half inning. The call at the plate was unworthy of travel ball umps.

psycHOGlogist

And also - her strike zone is garbage.

psycHOGlogist

OMG - and now the 1st base umpire is COMPLETELY ON CRACK. That was SO obviously a DP. I mean - the announcers are even saying it.

psycHOGlogist

The announcers are still talking about what a bad call it is.

This is outrageous stuff.

Dr. Starcs

OMG

Getting freaking home cooked by these clowns.

flippinhogmana

1st batter works a 1-1 count, 1-2, 2-2, gets hbp, lead off runner on,
2nd batter falls behind 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, grounds to 2nd FC, one out, runner on first
3rd batter 0-1, 1-1, grounds out to 3b, runner advances to second, two down
4th batter hbp, two on, two out
5th batter (top of the order) 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, then grounds to second to end it.  2 hbp's put storms in a bind, but she worked out of it, dogs have now left 3, 1-1 to the top of the 3rd and the middle of the hogs batting order

psycHOGlogist

No damage done, despite two HBP's and unconscionably bad officiating.

flippinhogmana

Cooper to lead it off 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, grounds out to ss, one down for Belans
AJ gets ahead 1-0, and grounds out to ss, two down
Schroeder 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, and for the second time they pitch around her to get to Hiers, two down one on
Hiers singles to lf, two on, two down for yanetti
yani 1-0, 2-0, grounds to 3b unassisted.  Six left on base now  1-1 to the bottom of the 3rd.

psycHOGlogist

Holy crap, Belans. What was that?! She's now tied for the league lead in errors.

flippinhogmana

1st batter 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, and grounds out to Yani, one down
2nd batter grounds out to Russell on the first pitch she sees,
3rd batter 1-0 and then singles to right,one on two down,
4th batter with a solo shot yesterday day that moved her up in the lineup, 1-0, 2-0, singles to cf, two on, two down (runners at 1st and 2nd),
5th batter 1-0, grounds to belans who boots it and lets a run score, dogs 2-1,
6th batter grounds back to storms, but an unearned run leaves two and dogs with a 2-1 lead.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 24, 2017, 07:09:41 pm
Holy crap, Belans. What was that?! She's now tied for the league lead in errors.
some things you dont want to lead the conference in.

psycHOGlogist

Time for some clutch hitting ... C'mon, Coop!

flippinhogmana

Diaz up (singled last time) takes the first pitch to center for a double, come on hogs!
Box tries to bunt her to third but pops up to pitcher, one down
Russell 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, then with an infield single towards first, two one (1st and 3rd) with one down,
Krzysko 0-1, 1-1, grounds to 3rd fielders choice (runner has to hold), two down, 1st and 3rd,
Cooper 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, full, grounds out to pitcher, now eight left, 2-1 dogs

psycHOGlogist

Dropkick

I'm sure if Cooper hit a homer to center field the plate ump would have called it foul.........

codeHog

I am going to turn it off.....horrible calls followed by frustrating plays

flippinhogmana

if the hogs can somehow pull this off, maybe the softball gods will grant some forgiveness.  Storms hasnt had her best stuff today and has been consistently working from behind in the count too much.
1st batter 0-1, 0-2, then grounds out to Belans who doesnt boot it, one down,
2nd batter 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, and a nothing hitter walks on four pitches, not good, top of the order, one on, one out
3rd batter 0-1, 0-2, grounds out to 2nd FC, but the runner advances to 2nd, two down
4th batter 1-0, 1-1, infield single to second, runner advances to 3rd, two on, two down,
5th hitter 1-0, 1-1, singles in a run, 3-1 dogs, still two on, two out,
6th batter 1-0, flies out to end it, dogs have left seven, but lead 3-1 to the top of the 5th.

flippinhogmana

Belans leads off 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, fouls out to lf, one down
Schroeder 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, grounds out to ss, two down
Hiers 1-0, 2-1, and grounds out to ss, to the bottom of the fifth, 3-1 dogs

psycHOGlogist

Jeez - two home runs to their previously home-run-less 1st baseman.

ugh. Not a good start for Stewart.

flippinhogmana

1st batter will face Stewart 1-0, and a homer to cf, 4-1 dogs
2nd batter walks on a 3-2 count,
3rd batter will face Warrick,  0-1, 0-2, grounds to ss, fc runner out at second, one on, one out
4th batter 0-1, 0-2, flies out to cf, two down, one on 1st,
5th batter 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, flies out to rf, 4-1 dogs

flippinhogmana

yani (hitless on the day with a BB) leads off the top of the 6th, pops up first pitch, one down
Diaz 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, walks, one on, one out
Box up, hitless on the day and not many ABs this season, 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, and singles to left, two on, one out for the top of the order with runners on 1st (PR Parr for Box) and 2nd,
Russell (1-3 on the day) 0-1, (silkwood at 111 pitches) another infield single to load the bases, one out
Krzysko 0-1, 0-2, DOUBLES TO CF, 2 RBIS!  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, one down 4-2 dogs,
Cooper 1-0, cooper hits into f FC, Runner out at second, and the russell cut down at home as well.  4-3 dogs,
hogs have left nine, but the dogs have left 8

psycHOGlogist

argh with the baserunning!! (And Russell was out at home, not 2nd ... just for those following along - not sure she should have left. The call was correct this time, though.) Really dumb running play by Cooper, imo.

psycHOGlogist

Warrick with the WP and puts the speedy runner on 3b.

UGH!

flippinhogmana

bottom of the 6th, hogs down one,
1st batter singles to ss
2nd batter 1-0, grounds out to 3rd, runner advances to 2nd, one down, runner advances on a wp,
3rd batter 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, pops up to second, two down, runner on third,
4th batter grounds out to 2B, 4-3 dogs to the top of the 7th,
dogs have now left nine as well so I guess the softball gods will be impartial in the outcome.

psycHOGlogist

Phew - no harm, no foul.

C'mon, offense!!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 24, 2017, 08:15:52 pm

dogs have now left nine as well so I guess the softball gods will be impartial in the outcome.

Too bad the umps have not been so impartial. If we don't win, we have been completely jobbed out of two runs. So ...

psycHOGlogist

Pretty darn forgettable game tonight for Belans.

flippinhogmana

Belans leads off 0-1, (silkwood 118 pitch count) 0-2, 1-2, strikes out swinging, one down
Nicole Schroeder 0-1, 1-1, 2-2, flies out to right, two down
Hiers 0-1, grounds out to 3b to end it, another tough loss.

psycHOGlogist

Screwed by the umps. Sorry, I know that's whiny - but that's just a fact.

flippinhogmana

April 24, 2017, 08:50:55 pm #42 Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:13:26 pm by flippinhogmana
no its not whiny, I went and looked at the game (I did the game off stats but was recording it.  We got screwed with two calls in the second innings. First hit a two run double that was called foul.  The ball hit fair in front of the bag crossed the bag fair and thats a fair ball.  That is a two run blown call by the umps that the home plate ump should have overruled the 3rd base ump on.  Then she blew her own call, Yani got in later in the inning and was called out.  They also made bad calls that benefited MSU scoring. Total screwjob.

jdlew

If I'm coaching.. I get tossed in this game... What a...HARD LUCK TEAM!!!

Dropkick

Plate ump needs to be drug tested immediately

flippinhogmana

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 24, 2017, 08:50:55 pm
no its not whiny, I went and looked at the game (I did the game off stats but was recording it.  We got screwed with two calls in the second innings. First hit a two run double that was called foul.  The ball hit fair in front of the bag crossed the bag fair and thats a fair ball.  That is a two run blown call by the umps that the home plate ump should have overruled the 3rd base ump on.  Then she blew her own call, Yani got in later in the inning and was called out.  They also made bad calls that benefited MSU scoring. Total screwjob.

Those 2nd inning calls cost us several runs and probable the game but base running mistakes in the 6th hurt also.  We are a OK team trying to get better.  If we can add a few good pieces next year then we start being a regular in the NCAAT.

psycHOGlogist

The baserunning definitely left something to be desired. However, we aren't making those kind of aggressive mistakes if we're not behind --- which we shouldn't have been.

But yeah, I think these are growing pains of a team that's trying really hard to improve.

LadybackBBFan

A agree with all the comments.  However, I also feel that we are missing a part of the game - playing small ball.  We are relying too much on home runs and not stealing, slapping and bunting to get runs across the plate when the opportunity presents itself.  That is on the coach.

Scott7703

No doubt the umps played a part in this but as lady back pointed out we missed multiple other opportunities because we were unable to bunt, and put the ball in play effectively to move runners around.