Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New assistant coach

Started by ricepig, April 20, 2017, 01:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brs_hogfan

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/20/arkansas-hires-womens-basketball-assistant/

The news article above says "Tommy Deffebaugh and Chenel Harris, assistants under former Arkansas coach Jimmy Dykes, are not expected to be retained".  So it sounds like perhaps Tari Cummings is being retained and the two coaches replacing Deffebaugh and Harris are Lacey Goldwire and Todd Schaefer.

BWS

Judging by her looks, the new coach is win number one indeed.

Scott7703

Good hire with Goldwire. Coach neighbors is a proven winner who will quickly put our women's program on the map.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: BWS on April 20, 2017, 02:35:16 pm

I knew someone would comment on this.  The important thing is can she coach, relate to the players and the fans!  Everything else is icing on the cake.

flippinhogmana

April 20, 2017, 03:14:18 pm #5 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:24:10 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 20, 2017, 02:18:47 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/20/arkansas-hires-womens-basketball-assistant/

The news article above says "Tommy Deffebaugh and Chenel Harris, assistants under former Arkansas coach Jimmy Dykes, are not expected to be retained".  So it sounds like perhaps Tari Cummings is being retained and the two coaches replacing Deffebaugh and Harris are Lacey Goldwire and Todd Schaefer.

Sometimes you CAN make as much inference by what is not said as much as you can of what is said.  Whether Tari is retained I think depends on timing.  My guess is that Mike is still looking at another hire from outside the program (as he has looked for others besides Lacey, dont get me wrong, after his entire staff from Washington didnt come, Lacey Goldwire was at the top of his list). 
I dont think Mike will delay long and if others that he is looking at dont pull the trigger then Tari would be a good option.  She is certainly the most meritorious of the assistant coaches from the last year.  She is a team player.  I do think that Mike wants to start fresh, but we will see.

The conjecture about how many players will be coming back is a whole lot over blown.  Again look at what is not said up to the moment. 

1) Kiara Williams has not asked for a transfer or to be released.  The odds are that if she was set to leave she would have done so by now. 
2.  Aaliyah Wilson has not been granted her release.  That is less certain to convey anything.  She could be still looking at other schools and the admin could be in contact with her on the final decision and action or not.  She could yet leave. 
3.  As for as the rest of the players, none have asked for their releases; so that means at least five (Monk, Swenson, Zimmer, Mason and Stout) of the current players seem to be coming back.  Cosper may not need to ask for a release since she has graduated but my information is that she will come back or is at least leaning to doing so. 
I think we will have (with the two freshmen) at least seven, eight with Cosper, nine with Williams (who is according to my info also leaning on coming back).  If Wilson (who I dont have any info on) comes back it will be ten.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 20, 2017, 03:08:54 pm
I knew someone would comment on this.  The important thing is can she coach, relate to the players and the fans!  Everything else is icing on the cake.

Coaching doesn't depend on the sex of a person, or how they necessarily look.  But an attractive coach with good player credentials doesn't hurt either. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BWS

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on April 20, 2017, 03:08:54 pm

Well..............she fine.

Dwight_K_Shrute

And yet I caught grief on MMQB for pointing out that Bob Diaco is a handsome man.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogtied85

Quote from: brs_hogfan on April 20, 2017, 02:18:47 pm

Tari Cumming is not listed on the website either.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on April 20, 2017, 05:53:15 pm
Tari Cumming is not listed on the website either.

True - which is probably telling. She does still list Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator on her social media bios, though. Could be she just hasn't gotten around to cleaning those up.

PorkSoda

April 20, 2017, 06:39:28 pm #11 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:42:35 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 20, 2017, 04:53:24 pm
And yet I caught grief on MMQB for pointing out that Bob Diaco is a handsome man.
because that's ghey

NTTAWWT
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawg1221

Quote from: BWS on April 20, 2017, 02:35:16 pm

Does this mean we missed out on Jasmine Lister? :)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 21, 2017, 01:22:09 pm
Does this mean we missed out on Jasmine Lister? :)

It could be that not naming a third assistant yet leaves a spot for her; or it could mean that it leaves a spot for Tari Cummings; or it could mean it leaves an opening for someone else.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2017, 05:42:05 pm
Salary info.

the car allowance looks like a flat fee for something like a car leased in her name or the like, but that as a state employee she will either get a university credit card to charge off all travel related costs, or that she is eligible for mileage and per diem expenses reimbursed to her.  Those are not generally held to be covered by a car allowance agreement simply because they are not known and somewhat open ended.

oldfart

pretty sure the car allowance is for a lease car...   her travel expenses for recruiting etc will be paid based on actual expenses...

brs_hogfan

Tari Cummings no longer lists herself as being an Arkansas assistant on Twitter.  So I think we can assume she is not being retained.

flippinhogmana

I think by the end of this month, maybe this week (I know almost the same thing) we will have some questions answered:  third assistant coach, whether Kiara Williams stays (I say yes), whether Aalayiah Wilson stays (fifty fifty), maybe about any transfers in.