Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have just moved on from hoops and into full baseball mode . . .

Started by popcornhog, March 24, 2015, 11:10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

I didn't realize things were so bad. I followed the memphis game thread . . . Didn't sound good.

That said, there are contributors that I've never heard of. What's the feeling about this freshman class? Are we rebuilding for success next year or is it going to take awhile? Or am I completely off base? Can we still salvage this season?

Pardon my ignorance, I jy'at hadn't started following the diamond hogs with the tourney run on the hard wood.

WPS
WPS

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: popcornhog on March 24, 2015, 11:10:21 pm
I didn't realize things were so bad. I followed the memphis game thread . . . Didn't sound good.

That said, there are contributors that I've never heard of. What's the feeling about this freshman class? Are we rebuilding for success next year or is it going to take awhile? Or am I completely off base? Can we still salvage this season?

Pardon my ignorance, I jy'at hadn't started following the diamond hogs with the tourney run on the hard wood.

WPS
Wow, took you a long time to get here.
The freshmen class was ranked #1 in the country.
We are still building for this season.
It's not to late to make post season play, but we need to start making big strides soon.

You have a lot of reading and catching up to do.

popcornhog

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 24, 2015, 11:17:50 pm
Wow, took you a long time to get here.
The freshmen class was ranked #1 in the country.
We are still building for this season.
It's not to late to make post season play, but we need to start making big strides soon.

You have a lot of reading and catching up to do.

Haha. Yeah, I'm gonna start listening to watching/or following game threads from here on out.

While I enjoy college baseball, it's #4 on my sports list behind Arkansas football, Arkansas hoops, and Cardinals baseball. I typically start following the diamond hogs about the time that it's clear that our ncAAT hopes are down the tubes. So there was a delay this year.

Thanks for the info. It looks like we had the two toughest series on the front end of the SEC schedule, so that's something.

You really think we'll make the post season this year? That's good to hear.
WPS

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogtown1

Can't wait for football. Think this is going to be a good year with Bret Bielema

dbhog

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2015, 07:02:59 am
Go straight to football. This is a bad year.

Or just start following the Cardinals!  This is going to be a mediocre year for Hogs baseball with no postseason.  Now that they are under .500, don't see them making it over .500 the remainder of the year.  Pitching is just not good.

Dr. Starcs

Iwastherein1969

Van Horn is due one bad year...the pitching and team chemistry just seems to be non-existent....we usually can use the early season series with LSU as a barometer...if we win the series or play it close, we will normally be okay in SEC play...but that 2nd game against LSU reminded me of our football team playing Nicholls St last season...we have a bunch of good players, but their bodies are not even close to the size and athleticism of LSU...I expect this post to be surgically removed, you can silence the truth, but you can't run from it....this is DVH's one bad season, he'll be back, DVH is too good of a coach not to...if you enjoy Hog baseball, which most us do, better lower expectations this season or you'll find yourself getting upset on most weekends....but then again, I could be totally wrong
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

booogaga

Apparently this is the worst start for a razorback baseball team since the 70s. I love DVH and do not take this as me calling for his head but it is inexcusable to have such a bad relief corp. I know he lost a lot of talent but that does not stop other programs from reloading with true freshmen. Obviously the staff had a couple of misses on the recruiting trail. Either way though I will root on my baseball hogs and watch every game I can. And one poster was correct. We can still salvage a good season and maybe make the playoffs due to our top heavy schedule. We faced the top teams first. Our schedule is a tad easier from here on out.
GO HOGS!

jbell96

I usually lean towards the pessimistic side, but I think people freaking out need to calm down. We're not as far off from success as some may think. This is an extremely young & inexperienced team, that honestly should have taken 2 out of 3 from both Vandy & LSU, both of whom are top 5 nationally ranked teams.

Pitching, outside of a select few, has been bad, but these kids are only going to get better as the season goes on. It doesn't look good now, but there is still plenty of time for us to turn things around and have a good season.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jbell96

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2015, 09:40:11 am
we are inexperienced in pitching, not position players

That is true, quite a few veteran players have been disappointing, and we're also inexperienced at catcher. Despite what some may say, that can have a negative impact on the pitchers, especially young ones. I'm not blaming every pitching issue we have on our inexperienced catchers, but you can't deny the fact that not having a seasoned veteran back there doesn't hurt us.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jbell96 on March 25, 2015, 10:02:17 am
That is true, quite a few veteran players have been disappointing, and we're also inexperienced at catcher. Despite what some may say, that can have a negative impact on the pitchers, especially young ones. I'm not blaming every pitching issue we have on our inexperienced catchers, but you can't deny the fact that not having a seasoned veteran back there doesn't hurt us.

I liked what I saw from the catching position last night, I believe it was Pennell and then Gosser came in late. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jbell96 on March 25, 2015, 10:02:17 am
You could be on to something as many don't realize how important the catcher is from a cerebral standpoint. It's the reason many MLB catchers play 10 years and bat .221! However the catcher is not usually responsible for the pitcher walking and beaning folks.

jbell96

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 25, 2015, 11:04:50 pm
You could be on to something as many don't realize how important the catcher is from a cerebral standpoint. It's the reason many MLB catchers play 10 years and bat .221! However the catcher is not usually responsible for the pitcher walking and beaning folks.

Oh I'm not saying it's all on the catcher's being inexperienced, these guys need to learn how to throw strikes, but these kids having a calming veteran presence behind the plate would help them greatly.

popcornhog

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2015, 07:02:59 am
Go straight to football. This is a bad year.

Seriously? Bad years suck, but watching the young talent on a bad team grow over their careers is one of my favorite things about college sports.

And from what I'm reading, this year may not end up bad. It sounds like we could make a run with our remaining schedule and get into the post season.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: dbhog on March 25, 2015, 08:20:07 am
Or just start following the Cardinals!  This is going to be a mediocre year for Hogs baseball with no postseason.  Now that they are under .500, don't see them making it over .500 the remainder of the year.  Pitching is just not good.

Not sure it's gonna be great for the Cardinals. Major issues with the rotation.

Waino ??? Will he be able to be at 100%?
Wacha? Who knows?
Carmart as a starter? Consistency in pitching 6+.
Lackey? Getting old. I certainly liked what we got last year, but he isn't gonna be your work horse if there are issues in the starting rotation. He's an awesome 4th option though.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 25, 2015, 08:24:35 am
Cardinals over Hogs. Smh

I actually never followed Arkansas baseball until my sophomore year at the UA, 2004. Whereas I've been going to hog hoops/football and Cardinals games my whole life. So Arkansas baseball is just less ingrained.

Does that make sense?
WPS

SPAL

Quote from: popcornhog on March 26, 2015, 11:39:57 am
Seriously? Bad years suck, but watching the young talent on a bad team grow over their careers is one of my favorite things about college sports.

And from what I'm reading, this year may not end up bad. It sounds like we could make a run with our remaining schedule and get into the post season.

That is just Kevin being Kevin. I'm sure he was speaking tongue in cheek. He is actually  a pretty solid contributor to the board.

Kevin

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 26, 2015, 10:23:36 pm
That is just Kevin being Kevin. I'm sure he was speaking tongue in cheek. He is actually  a pretty solid contributor to the board.

thanks, but most people have painted me a hater in every sport. then is fine.

the way we were playing at the time, i stand by the statement. we were in the middle of losing 7 out of 8. playing badly.

SPAL

I don't label you a hater. Just a passionate , opinionated , fan who gets frustrated.

Kevin

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 27, 2015, 09:22:35 am
I don't label you a hater. Just a passionate , opinionated , fan who gets frustrated.

frustrated, but i do try to be objective.