Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Point in the Season

Started by mrp, March 23, 2015, 12:02:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mrp

As a master of the obvious I must state that I don't think we will play two tougher teams than Vandy and LSU.

On the positive side our position players are as good as I think we have ever had. And there is so much talent on the bench.  McAfee is as talented as anyone in college baseball and has trouble getting on the field.

On the negative side I've never seen pitching so weak save the guys that get SEC action.

If we can only get some pitching down the stretch we can be a team to contend with and continue playing Horn ball into the post season.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

March 23, 2015, 12:56:58 am #1 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:35:26 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: mrp on March 23, 2015, 12:02:06 am
As a master of the obvious I must state that I don't think we will play two tougher teams than Vandy and LSU.

On the positive side our position players are as good as I think we have ever had. And there is so much talent on the bench.  McAfee is as talented as anyone in college baseball and has trouble getting on the field.

On the negative side I've never seen pitching so weak save the guys that get SEC action.

If we can only get some pitching down the stretch we can be a team to contend with and continue playing Horn ball into the post season.
Agree, preseason was all about Vandy and LSU. Many of us would have been OK with a 2-4 SEC record right now.

Agree, pitching is the key right now. If a few more pitchers step up and show they can compete, everything else will start to fall into place.

And, we are not out of it, "it" being post season play. Get to the NCAAT and anything can happen.

My regular season minimum goals for this team:
Finish above .500 in overall regular season.
Finish higher than 2 games below .500 in conference play.
Finish no lower than #10 in the SEC.
Have an RPI of 48 or higher after the SECT.
Sweep a quality SEC team.
Keep playing hard and getting better.
Peak at the right time for SECT and NCAAT play.
Do these things and we will make the NCAAT.

After the 2 games with Memphis this week, we only have 6 more non-conference games, so maybe the pitching staff won't be stretched as much.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 23, 2015, 12:56:58 am
Agree, preseason was all about Vandy and LSU. Many of us would have been OK with a 2-4 SEC record right now.

Agree, pitching is the key right now. If a few more pitchers step up and show they can compete, everything else will start to fall into place.

And, we are not out of it, "it" being post season play. Get to the NCAAT and anything can happen.

My regular season minimum goals for this team:
Finish above .500 in overall regular season.
Finish higher than 2 games below .500 in conference play.
Finish no lower than #10 in the SEC.
Have an RPI of 48 or higher after the SECT.
Sweep a quality SEC team.
Keep playing hard and getting better.
Peak at the right time for SECT and NCAAT play.
Do these things and we will make the NCAAT.

After the 2 games with Memphis this week, we only have 6 more non-conference games, so maybe the pitching staff won't be stretched as much.

Yep
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Big Nasty 34

We simply only have probably 4 "reliable" arms right now. The draft has finally taken its toll. Good thing is we know pitching won't be down long with our coaching staff.

Kevin

doesn't the draft take it's toll on everybody
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2015, 09:07:34 am

No, and that's a pretty simplistic approach.

Hogustus Caesar

Let's not doubt the coaching experience and leadership of this coaching staff. May we not discount the heart and ability of these young men who play for this program and our university. I am not worried. Proud of this program. Go Hogs!
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2015, 10:12:27 am
No, and that's a pretty simplistic approach.

You're both right and well...its true the draft could take a toll on everyone, that is if you had players that were being drafted, but on the other hand if you don't then it doesn't affect you as much.  Teams with a lot of draft pics, particularly if they are pitchers (which our's have tended to be of late) are affected by the draft more than other.  That is not to say that LSU and Vandy haven't lost players and pitching to the draft too, is it?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Kevin

seems teams like lsu, usc-e, never take a dip.

is our program on that level or not?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jacobp

LSU is only 3 years removed from missing the SEC tourney AND the NCAA's all together.

Knot2brite

With the pitching first approach we took with the change of the bats it is just natural that we would struggle eventually because of the draft. I think we prepared well for the change of the bats and maybe not as well with the change in the ball. I think we will have to work harder with the pitching staff with this change than we had to work with the offense at the change of the bat
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 23, 2015, 12:42:31 pm
With the pitching first approach we took with the change of the bats it is just natural that we would struggle eventually because of the draft. I think we prepared well for the change of the bats and maybe not as well with the change in the ball. I think we will have to work harder with the pitching staff with this change than we had to work with the offense at the change of the bat

Fair enough Knot, but I am curious about one thing...Some teams freshmen don't seem to be bothered by the new ball, but ours seem to be.  Our veterans like Killian for the most part don't seem bothered (I am not sure about that since Tacco, Stone, and Jackson all had at least one bad outing but seemed to have righted themselves) or as bothered by the new ball as the freshmen, is it maturity?  I dont have any answers on this, McKinney looked like he was going to take off, but he has regressed.  We just arent as far along as I thought we would be although I thought we would have some ups and downs with our pitching.  Just didnt think it would be this bad, frankly

Knot2brite

I honestly haven't watched other teams this year that much to see how they are dealing with the new ball especially freshmen. The teams we have played seem to have problems at times and the off speed pitches by everyone seems to be off. The guys like TK, Taco etc also have confidence in the fastball and I think the experience/maturity factor does play a part.

ucahogfan

I'm probably as frustrated as anyone about this season.  Our offense is about on par what I expected, but not who I thought would be contributing.  Our pitching has been way worse than I think anyone expected.  Here are several things that stick out to me:

-  I think Tyler Spoon should sit tomorrow and Wednesday.  Get some other people playing time, but he simply hasn't been that great at the plate.  Sure he is among the team leaders in XBHs and RBIs and plays excellent defense, but he is threatening being below .300 OBP for the season.  He is currently sitting at .315 and has only drawn 2 walks in 20 starts.  That is nearly impossible to do and I expect much better out of a 4th year player.

-  Brett McAfee should be the starting SS.  I know Bernal has been solid in the field and at the plate, but his base running could have very well cost us the LSU series.  That play on Sunday is unforgivable and also something that shouldn't happen with a veteran like Bernal.

-  Get this freshmen class consistent ABs.  I would say our five most talented hitters on this team are Bonfield, Wiggins, Spanberger, Benintendi, and Eagan.  Only two of those guys are in the lineup every single day although I think Wiggins is hurt currently.  DVH has allowed young players to work through their early season slump in the past such as Ficociello and Benintendi, but not with Bonfield.  I also think Bonfield still hasn't fully recovered from his injury.

-  We have to get better on the base paths.  A staple of DVH teams is being very, very good on the base paths not only stealing and taking the extra base, but not making bone headed plays like we see almost every single game now.  I would expect some of our young players to make a bone headed play every now and then, but not our veterans.

-  Don't bunt a guy who had doubled in each of his previous two ABs.  DVH was going to have Eagan lay down a sac bunt with 0 outs in the 8th on Saturday, but Bernal got caught and Eagan got a hit.  Eagan had also struggled to lay down a bunt this year.

-  Is Coach Jorn overrated?  I'm probably as big as Coach Jorn supporter as anyone, but this is the second time when I thought our pitching staff hasn't met expectations.  The first being in 2012 when our offense scored the 2nd most runs in SEC play, but didn't win the SEC because our pitching staff which returned everyone from the year before was middle of the pack.  This pitching staff is extremely talented, but they struggle to find the strike zone.  While the ball might have a lot to do with it, I would think mechanics are a big part as well.  Jorn has had several months to work with all of these guys so he could have tweaked what he needed to so they would throw strikes.  Sure, having 10 guys including 4 in the top 4 rounds in the last two years hurts, but we have also recruited well on the mound.

-  How big of a loss is Nathan Rodriguez?  I have been disappointed in the defense behind the plate this year and DVH praised Rodriguez for his defensive ability.  We aren't very strong at receiving and teams have also run effectively against us.

reddogjcss

Pitching is off this season making for a tough season. Losing to many non-conference games. I'm worried there want be any games when conference is over.
Lord I hope I'm wrong. If pitching can come around may be time to get on right track but I think it will be late in season before pitching gets close to where it needs to be. Again I HOPE IM WRONG.

Knot2brite

I want to express my long standing opinion of Jorn but I can't.

Bonfield won't swing again in sec conference until he starts hitting in mid week games and until he figured out that the high leg kick won't work unless he gets his timing better.
Bernal will probably stay the SS because he is hitting. DVH may decide that McAfee can be that one offensive liability but right now he is hitting therefore he plays.
Rodriguez hurts us by not being able to play. He can do it all.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Unfortunately some of our newcomers need more time to become solid on defense. You won't play much for DVH if you are not solid on defense and base running. Those are easy things for us to forget, but if we keep them in mind, it will answer a lot of the questions we have about why some players are not playing as much as others and a player with a hot bat doesn't play everyday. 

Most all of us agree that this team has some talent, it just hasn't jelled yet. I'm not giving up on this season and I don't think it's to late to make something special happen. Actually, as I think back to my preseason thoughts, and I think most agreed at the time, it would be close to midseason before we got things rolling. We are not midseason yet, but I think these next 5 days will tell us what this team is made of. If we keep playing hard and getting better, we can still have some games after regular season is over.

Of our 6 SEC games this year, only 2 were out of reach in the late innings.     

bulldog04

I think we are just spoiled.  If we don't finish top 3 in the host a regional it's a disappointment.  Guys it will be okay if we are a 3 seed and are 2 and done in the regional for one year.  Look at our freshmen and sophomores and also look at the next 2 recruiting classes.  Great things will continue to follow the baseball team for years to come.

hogman64

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 23, 2015, 07:36:40 pm
I'm probably as frustrated as anyone about this season.  Our offense is about on par what I expected, but not who I thought would be contributing.  Our pitching has been way worse than I think anyone expected.  Here are several things that stick out to me:

-  I think Tyler Spoon should sit tomorrow and Wednesday.  Get some other people playing time, but he simply hasn't been that great at the plate.  Sure he is among the team leaders in XBHs and RBIs and plays excellent defense, but he is threatening being below .300 OBP for the season.  He is currently sitting at .315 and has only drawn 2 walks in 20 starts.  That is nearly impossible to do and I expect much better out of a 4th year player.

-  Brett McAfee should be the starting SS.  I know Bernal has been solid in the field and at the plate, but his base running could have very well cost us the LSU series.  That play on Sunday is unforgivable and also something that shouldn't happen with a veteran like Bernal.

-  Get this freshmen class consistent ABs.  I would say our five most talented hitters on this team are Bonfield, Wiggins, Spanberger, Benintendi, and Eagan.  Only two of those guys are in the lineup every single day although I think Wiggins is hurt currently.  DVH has allowed young players to work through their early season slump in the past such as Ficociello and Benintendi, but not with Bonfield.  I also think Bonfield still hasn't fully recovered from his injury.

-  We have to get better on the base paths.  A staple of DVH teams is being very, very good on the base paths not only stealing and taking the extra base, but not making bone headed plays like we see almost every single game now.  I would expect some of our young players to make a bone headed play every now and then, but not our veterans.

-  Don't bunt a guy who had doubled in each of his previous two ABs.  DVH was going to have Eagan lay down a sac bunt with 0 outs in the 8th on Saturday, but Bernal got caught and Eagan got a hit.  Eagan had also struggled to lay down a bunt this year.

-  Is Coach Jorn overrated?  I'm probably as big as Coach Jorn supporter as anyone, but this is the second time when I thought our pitching staff hasn't met expectations.  The first being in 2012 when our offense scored the 2nd most runs in SEC play, but didn't win the SEC because our pitching staff which returned everyone from the year before was middle of the pack.  This pitching staff is extremely talented, but they struggle to find the strike zone.  While the ball might have a lot to do with it, I would think mechanics are a big part as well.  Jorn has had several months to work with all of these guys so he could have tweaked what he needed to so they would throw strikes.  Sure, having 10 guys including 4 in the top 4 rounds in the last two years hurts, but we have also recruited well on the mound.

-  How big of a loss is Nathan Rodriguez?  I have been disappointed in the defense behind the plate this year and DVH praised Rodriguez for his defensive ability.  We aren't very strong at receiving and teams have also run effectively against us.

Well thought out, I agree with everything you said...I will say I think Spoon is a very good outfielder , I think he should put him 8th in the order and leave him there.  I see him about the way I did Fico his last year, great in the field a liability in the upper part of the order.....also agree on McAfee put him in the lineup and leave him there....

flippinhogmana

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 23, 2015, 09:47:16 pm
Unfortunately some of our newcomers need more time to become solid on defense. You won't play much for DVH if you are not solid on defense and base running. Those are easy things for us to forget, but if we keep them in mind, it will answer a lot of the questions we have about why some players are not playing as much as others and a player with a hot bat doesn't play everyday. 

Most all of us agree that this team has some talent, it just hasn't jelled yet. I'm not giving up on this season and I don't think it's to late to make something special happen. Actually, as I think back to my preseason thoughts, and I think most agreed at the time, it would be close to midseason before we got things rolling. We are not midseason yet, but I think these next 5 days will tell us what this team is made of. If we keep playing hard and getting better, we can still have some games after regular season is over.

Of our 6 SEC games this year, only 2 were out of reach in the late innings.   

No my brother, I think it was you, me and maybe another one or two more who thought that way, but still I didn't expect us to look this bad.  Like UCA cited the base running has been at times embarrassing among other things.  But as usually you and I are not too far apart in our judgment.  As I said in another thread, the next three weeks, which will take us roughly to mid-season, will probably tell the tale about how good we will be this season. 

But as UCA also said, I don't think anyone thought we would look quite this bad.  You can tell we have a lot of freshmen, but you wouldn't expect Bernal and some of the others to play like them.  I also agree with UCA that Spoon needs to sit a game or two.  It might allow him to refocus and refresh for the rest of the year.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogman64 on March 23, 2015, 10:13:39 pm
Well thought out, I agree with everything you said...I will say I think Spoon is a very good outfielder , I think he should put him 8th in the order and leave him there.  I see him about the way I did Fico his last year, great in the field a liability in the upper part of the order.....also agree on McAfee put him in the lineup and leave him there....

I would also say that we should put McKinney in as the number three starter and leave him there unless DVH is trying to work Jackson back in as a starter.  One other thing.  Someone needs to tell DVH that this isn't the time to blow up at the freshmen, maybe at the vets, but not the freshmen.

Knot2brite

I don't think Jackson will be starting unless it is mid week. He is going to use Jackson like he used Swatski several years ago

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Alright, several posters have said they think Spoon should sit for a few games, so what does your outfield look like then?

Center is obviously going to be Benintendi.
Left has seen several players already.
Who has the speed, instincts, reaction time and arm to play right field and do any better at the plate than Spoon?     Shaddy? Eagan? Bonfield? Hogan has even had a try out there, so who is it?

Knot2brite

If spoon is going to sit it has to be Shaddy

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 24, 2015, 01:17:13 am
If spoon is going to sit it has to be Shaddy
Yeah, well, Shaddy won't be needed behind the plate on Tuesday as Gosser will likely get the start since he is from NLR.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on March 24, 2015, 01:07:19 am
Alright, several posters have said they think Spoon should sit for a few games, so what does your outfield look like then?

Center is obviously going to be Benintendi.
Left has seen several players already.
Who has the speed, instincts, reaction time and arm to play right field and do any better at the plate than Spoon?     Shaddy? Eagan? Bonfield? Hogan has even had a try out there, so who is it?
Here is the lineup I would run out today if I was making the lineup card:

Eagan           RF
Serrano         LF
Benintendi     CF
Spanberger   1B
Bonfield        DH
Nomura         2B
Wernes          3B
McAfee          SS
Pennell           C

I feel like part of our pitching problem could be due to a lack of catching consistency.  Our pitchers can't get comfortable with just one catcher and never know who will be catching them.  We just need to stick with one catcher the rest of the year and I think Pennell is our best defender.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 24, 2015, 12:21:19 am
I would also say that we should put McKinney in as the number three starter and leave him there unless DVH is trying to work Jackson back in as a starter.  One other thing.  Someone needs to tell DVH that this isn't the time to blow up at the freshmen, maybe at the vets, but not the freshmen.
I fully agree that McKinney should be the Sunday starter for the rest of the year.  It will instill confidence in him for the remainder of his time here and for us to be as successful as we want to be, he will play a big part of it.

One thing that irritates me about DVH is that the veterans get the benefit of the doubt while a freshman is quickly benched.  It takes freshmen some time to get going at the collegiate level for the most part and DVH hasn't allowed the #1 class to get going this year.  The only two freshmen who have seen consistent time are McKinney and Spanberger.  We have plenty more that should be in the lineup and on the mound as well.

SPAL

A buddy and I were discussing McKinney and he brought up the point that Stanek was about on the same level as McKinney is as a frosh. Thoughts?

Big Nasty 34

I guess I don't understand why so adamant on the mcafee over bernal. They've had they exact same amount of ABs and bernal has a better average and better fielding percentage. Admittedly I've only seen 3-4 games though.

I want mckinney in the sec rotation as well. No reason why not.

Kevin

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 24, 2015, 06:37:38 am
A buddy and I were discussing McKinney and he brought up the point that Stanek was about on the same level as McKinney is as a frosh. Thoughts?

I think the same thing. Just seems to take most of our freshman a year, to get it going.

Stanek was really go at sec tournament and regionals his freshman year

Outside of nomura and pennell on defense the juco's have been a bust this year

4Lions04

I'm for leaving Mckinney in the Sunday spot unless he is just terrible.  He hasn't been great, but he's not been awful either.  At least the first time through the lineup.  Van Horn stuck with Stanek his freshman year and it paid dividends the next two years.  If I remember right, it clicked for Stanek  at the end of his freshman year and he dominated from there (baring injury).  He had to take his licks, but it worked out in the end.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 24, 2015, 06:25:04 am
Here is the lineup I would run out today if I was making the lineup card:

Eagan           RF
Serrano         LF
Benintendi     CF
Spanberger   1B
Bonfield        DH
Nomura         2B
Wernes          3B
McAfee          SS
Pennell           C

I feel like part of our pitching problem could be due to a lack of catching consistency.  Our pitchers can't get comfortable with just one catcher and never know who will be catching them.  We just need to stick with one catcher the rest of the year and I think Pennell is our best defender.

I have raised the same concern in the past, so obviously I too think it is due some consideration.  Some have mentioned that DVH has handled freshmen different this year.  Perhaps he has, but I don't think he has ever had a wealth of talent as deep as this.  That in turn produces certain problems for him as well. 

I think he feels forced to let these guys sort it out on the field rather than for him to evaluate and choose which ones get playing time, based solely on his assessment.  Democracy can get in the way of leadership sometimes.  Its not an easy road for DVH in that regard this year.  I bet he hopes that merit would win out and make it easy for him, but soon I think he needs to pick some players for critical spots like catcher and just go with them.  I hate to see myself writing that, but its the truth.

SPAL

Gosser needs to get the lion share duties behind the plate. We wasted his redshirt last year. Just my opinion, but I think he is the best package. Shaddy isn't good defensively, at all. But u like his bat. Given the same chances, I think Gosser is our best option.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 24, 2015, 08:06:29 am
Gosser needs to get the lion share duties behind the plate. We wasted his redshirt last year. Just my opinion, but I think he is the best package. Shaddy isn't good defensively, at all. But u like his bat. Given the same chances, I think Gosser is our best option.

See, I disagree. I think Gosser doesn't frame as well as others, stabs at low pitches, and doesn't have as strong of an arm. Oh, I have other deficiencies with the other two, but I think we need our best defensive catcher back there.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 24, 2015, 07:48:01 am
I have raised the same concern in the past, so obviously I too think it is due some consideration.  Some have mentioned that DVH has handled freshmen different this year.  Perhaps he has, but I don't think he has ever had a wealth of talent as deep as this.  That in turn produces certain problems for him as well. 

I think he feels forced to let these guys sort it out on the field rather than for him to evaluate and choose which ones get playing time, based solely on his assessment.  Democracy can get in the way of leadership sometimes.  Its not an easy road for DVH in that regard this year.  I bet he hopes that merit would win out and make it easy for him, but soon I think he needs to pick some players for critical spots like catcher and just go with them.  I hate to see myself writing that, but its the truth.
Maybe it's time for the team to decide on team captains.

SPAL

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2015, 08:11:06 am
See, I disagree. I think Gosser doesn't frame as well as others, stabs at low pitches, and doesn't have as strong of an arm. Oh, I have other deficiencies with the other two, but I think we need our best defensive catcher back there.

Who do u think is the best defensive guy back there?

hobhog

Heard that Hogs have lost more underclassmen to MLB in last 3 years than any other program in country. Good recruiting tool, doesnt help much now....

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 24, 2015, 04:13:56 pm
Who do u think is the best defensive guy back there?

Pennell, but that's just my opinion.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 24, 2015, 04:47:07 pm
remember any hint of anything less than 'sunshine and rainbows' will be met with the sternest of admonishment....so, I say we win the next 5 SEC series in a row and you can throw in a couple of brooms in that 5 to boot...the pitching is going to suddenly gel and all will be well..."smile"
Not so much...we all know what we are now and the dealing with the situation is determined by each person. I look at the situation as we expected these new pitchers to come in polished and never miss a beat with what we had the previous three seasons and they didn't have what was expected. We want to have every season be a stellar season and that just doesn't happen. Florida went a couple seasons down and now they are up. A person doesn't have to moan bitch and complain all the time especially when it is obvious. I am the worlds worst at what I just said. All I want is for them to play fundamental baseball which involves throwing freaking strikes. Until they start doing that...we are going to struggle. I don't know what they are doing up there in practice to improve it but I assume that they are working on throwing strikes every day. Until that improves....we are going to see a lot of the same thing we have seen the past 22 games. Smile all you want....but it is going to be a difficult season....and it happens

Sssss!

How big of a loss was Rodriguez ? Huge...when they played the Blue & White series Rodriguez only caught 3 games out of the 5 games he's team played. He won all 3 games he caught plus he's a leader on the field that we don't have right now. Glad he stayed and didn't go to a JC to play wish he could of very easily done.   

ricepig

Quote from: Sssss! on March 24, 2015, 05:27:45 pm
How big of a loss was Rodriguez ? Huge...when they played the Blue & White series Rodriguez only caught 3 games out of the 5 games he's team played. He won all 3 games he caught plus he's a leader on the field that we don't have right now. Glad he stayed and didn't go to a JC to play wish he could of very easily done.   

Blue??

Sssss!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ucahogfan

I feel like they are different style pitchers.  Stanek was the type who wanted to work in the mid 90s and blow it by you while McKinney is more a finesse pitcher topping out at about 91-92, but his change is just filthy when it is on and he generates a lot of movement.  I think part of McKinney's struggles are the broken hand (or finger) he suffered last summer.  He was 90-94 before then, but has really only topped out at about 90 this year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sssss! on March 24, 2015, 05:27:45 pm
I said he was the most important freshman in this class.  How often do you see someone who just graduated high school starting a collegiate summer league All-Star game?  Not even our other two All-Stars out there in Nomura and Big Taco could say that they started the game.  Just watching a couple of innings told me he would be a great catcher at Arkansas.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2015, 08:11:06 am
Fully agree with this, but none of our catchers are strong receivers.  Pennell is the best defensive option we have, but it could be better.  Watching Scivicque catch last weekend compared to who we caught was a huge difference when it came to receiving.  Scivicque stole several strikes while our guys cost our pitching several strikes.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 24, 2015, 07:03:49 am
I guess I don't understand why so adamant on the mcafee over bernal. They've had they exact same amount of ABs and bernal has a better average and better fielding percentage. Admittedly I've only seen 3-4 games though.
Bernal made two inexcusable base running mistakes last weekend and his one on Sunday could have very well cost us a series win.  Bernal also started out insanely hot going like 8 for his first 10-12.  With only 42 ABs, his BA is still going to be inflated.  He probably has 7-8 hits in his last 30 ABs or so which isn't that great.

reddogjcss

One poster said we are spoiled to success in baseball! Yes we are is it not nice!!!

Knot2brite

anyone know why Fant redshirted?

Kevin

I think gosser is the best at hitting & catching
Pennell can catch but can't hit
Shaddy can hit but can't catch