Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Scott, Jr new DL coach

Started by bighog2255, February 07, 2017, 02:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogfan46 on February 07, 2017, 02:52:27 pm
There's no reason to be excited about anything you post related to Hog football.

football-shmootball

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:50:40 pm
Once again, here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing a damn thing about him.

No one is saying great hire. Some of us are wait and see instead of stabbing it in the heart before it's first breath types.

But simply discussing the pros and cons of the hire is beyond some of you and doesn't fit nicely in the agenda.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wildhog

Quote from: HardingHog on February 07, 2017, 02:51:15 pm
Interesting and like usual, no one we would've guessed we'd hire him. He's spent time in the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas as a college assistant. Nothing says that he's a home run hire or anything, but I guess we shall see. Hopefully his personality, experience in several big recruiting areas along with his younger age and ethnicity will prove him to be a valuable asset in recruiting

Good luck, Coach Scott because most everyone here probably doesn't like you already

I hope he kills it.  There's just no reason to believe he will.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Next1_04

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:47:37 pm
Here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing anything about him!!!!

Is that you reading everyone's mind?

Calling All Hogs

sickboy

The most predictable thing about Bielema is that you can almost NEVER predict who's going to be hired.

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on February 07, 2017, 02:53:11 pm
I think that's what he's doing, as opposed to you using the same meme in two separate threads.

He's pretty simple, you have to give him his few pitiful attempts at humor.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

he's a position coach...here for teaching and coaching.

how many on here can name Bama's or LSU's DL coach without searching for it?

well just have to wait and see how it goes
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

hogcard1964

Quote from: rljjr on February 07, 2017, 02:53:11 pm
I think that's what he's doing, as opposed to you using the same meme in two separate threads.

How about this?

FraggleHog

"Running a 3-4 as its primary defense, the Jets led the NFL in rushing touchdowns allowed and red zone defense in 2015, while finishing second in rushing defense and fourth in total defense. Both defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson and cornerback Darrelle Revis, who played for defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads at Pitt, earned Pro Bowl honors. Scott Jr. was promoted to defensive line assistant prior to the 2016 season in which the Jets finished fifth in the AFC in rush defense and rushing touchdowns allowed. Defensive tackle Leonard Williams earned a Pro Bowl nod.
"I'm grateful for the opportunity to be part of coach Bielema's staff and begin working hand-in-hand with coach Paul Rhoads and the rest of the staff on making this a great defense," said Scott Jr. "I've been fortunate to have worked with Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers the last two years to enhance my knowledge and develop players in the 3-4 scheme. Over half of my coaching career has been teaching the 3-4 scheme and I'm excited to implement the knowledge I've learned in the pro and college ranks at Arkansas. I'm looking forward to being part of something great at the University of Arkansas and I'm excited to work with the defensive lineman and rest of the players."
Scott Jr. mentored and coached a trio of defensive lineman at Texas Tech that worked their way into the NFL. In his first season, he tutored Kerry Hyder to All-Big 12 honors and an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine. In his first full season with the Detroit Lions in 2016, Hyder led the team with 8.0 sacks to go along with 36 tackles. Branden Jackson had his best season under Scott Jr. in 2014 as a junior before getting an invite to the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. Jackson recently finished his rookie season with the Oakland Raiders."
Calling the Hogs from DFW

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:36:17 pm
Wanted a proven recruiter.  Didn't get one.

You'll get it with the 2nd LB coach..

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hayden1865 on February 07, 2017, 02:52:33 pm
And the other half of Hogville saying he is an awful hire without knowing a damn thing about him.

actually, I withheld my concern until I looked at his resume...I'm now officially concerned.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Welcome to the Hill  Woo Pig.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 07, 2017, 02:49:06 pm
Our offensive line had a DT, a GT, and a walkon starting.

We had the leading rusher and passer in the conference.

Just saying.

Pretty incredible when you think about it.

870hogfan

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing anything about him!!!!

Could wait. Till someone does that.
[CENSORED]!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
Geez we tuned this dude up for 450+ yds in 2014.  Not getting warm fuzzies about this. 

uhhh... we averaged 406.0 ypg that season against all opponents and 484 yds against A&M..........................dr
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

lilRockNDubb

Hell shoulda just spent some of that $40 mill we got from the SEC and just got the Ryan boys.

Hogdomer

Worked under former Hog assistant Kacy Rodgers while with the Jets.

hogcard1964

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:58:46 pm
actually, I withheld my concern until I looked at his resume...I'm now officially concerned.

As long as he doesn't have moles on his eybrow, tweets uncontrollably and weighs less than 350, he'll be alright.

However, once we fire him, he's the debil!!!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 07, 2017, 03:01:29 pm
Could wait. Till someone does that.

I'm sorry.  It's hard to be excited about anything Razorback football related these days.

Inhogswetrust

It took me all of 5 seconds to Google him see his Resume' then only several minutes to actually read up on him and like what I read. I wonder why you didn't do that. It's so easy even someone like you can do it. But that wouldn't match your agenda.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 07, 2017, 03:05:28 pm
It took me all of 5 seconds to Google him see his Resume' then only several minutes to actually read up on him and like what I read. I wonder why you didn't do that. It's so easy even someone like you can do it. But that wouldn't match your agenda.

I didn't do that?

How was he in 2014?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:51:35 pm
Can't we use a wait and see approach?  Maybe?

How about giving him the benefit of the doubt a little beforehand since he wanted the job coaching our team and got the job. He may be here a short time or a very long time. Either way at least he wanted to be here and thus deserves our immediate welcome and support.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

navyhog24

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:51:35 pm
Can't we use a wait and see approach?  Maybe?

Re-watch the 2014 Texas Tech game. That's his DL we pummeled in.

jgphillips3

He's qualified but underwhelming on paper.  I was really hoping for a proven recruiter but we've still got one more spot and an opportunity to do well there.  I'll take the wait and see approach on this one.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on February 07, 2017, 02:43:00 pm
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1juN_cqbUA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Atleast Segrest's line at Samford put up a fight

hogcard1964

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 07, 2017, 03:08:54 pm
Re-watch the 2014 Texas Tech game. That's his DL we pummeled in.

So, is this a bad hire or a great hire?  I ask because there's literally no in between.

Letsroll1200

hogcard1964

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 07, 2017, 03:10:18 pm

...but he wasn't fired from Tech, was he?

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:06:29 pm
I didn't do that?

How was he in 2014?

And you only know this because of the other thread.

You remind me of the child that hates everything but chicken strips.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hogdomer

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 07, 2017, 03:10:18 pm

2013 team was about half as good as 2014 team.  2014 team was the best under Beilema.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 07, 2017, 03:11:58 pm
And you only know this because of the other thread.

You remind me of the child that hates everything but chicken strips.

I hate chicken strips.  However, I love McNuggets.  Hey, speaking of McDonalds, I heard they may be bringing back the MC DLT.

Thoughts>>>>>>?

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 07, 2017, 03:13:25 pm
2013 team was about half as good as 2014 team.  2014 team was the best under Beilema.

lol WAT

HogShat

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:50:40 pm
Once again, here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing a damn thing about him.

And vice versa. No one knew who this cat was an hour ago and everyone is an expert. Hope he fits in and blows you fools away with his coaching and recruiting skills. But then you'd just find sumn else to whine about. Welcome Coach...(had to scroll back up...) Welcome Coach Scott!! Woo Pig!!

Oh yeah, in before Wesley Snipes on the separated at birth thread....

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:14:20 pm
I hate chicken strips.  However, I love McNuggets.  Hey, speaking of McDonalds, I heard they may be bringing back the MC DLT.

Thoughts>>>>>>?

hawginbigd1

Got a lot of 3-4 experience? Check
Got some Texas and southern roots/relationships? Check
I am going to go ahead and say I like it, but with a side of Missouri style caution....Show Me!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:14:20 pm

Thoughts>>>>>>?

Must be in Styrofoam container!

Hogdomer

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 07, 2017, 03:16:15 pm
lol WAT

Only team yet with a good defense.  Outplayed A&M and Alabama.  No embarrassing Toledo, Texas Tech or Mizzou type losses.  Destroyed Texas in a bowl.

BallHog1

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
Geez we tuned this dude up for 450+ yds in 2014.  Not getting warm fuzzies about this. 
Crap, are the players that played defense at TT in 2014 coming with him?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 07, 2017, 03:05:28 pm

I did too and saw he was Defensive Quality Control coach for the Jets for three years.  What do you know about being DQC?  And how much QC did he do for someone whose coach was fired, went to Buffalo and was fired again? 

He may be a hell of a coach and he's young but I'm not too excited by reading that like you are...

navyhog24

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 07, 2017, 03:21:03 pm
Crap, are the players that played defense at TT in 2014 coming with him?

No he gets the ones that had been all over by Auburn. So he fits right in.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogShat on February 07, 2017, 03:16:27 pm
And vice versa. No one knew who this cat was an hour ago and everyone is an expert. Hope he fits in and blows you fools away with his coaching and recruiting skills. But then you'd just find sumn else to whine about. Welcome Coach...(had to scroll back up...) Welcome Coach Scott!! Woo Pig!!

Oh yeah, in before Wesley Snipes on the separated at birth thread....

Agreed, we've had quite a bit to whine about over the past five years, haven't we?

FWIW, I also hope he's successful.

WriterWrong

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 07, 2017, 02:49:06 pm
Our offensive line had a DT, a GT, and a walkon starting.

We had the leading rusher and passer in the conference.

Just saying.

We also gave up 35 sacks on the season, second most in SEC. The previous three seasons combined, we allowed 36 sacks.

Just saying.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogfan46 on February 07, 2017, 02:37:10 pm
All the pieces seem to be there for him. Played the position, extensive 3-4 knowledge, coached players that were successful and made the NFL, coached in a P5 conference and the NFL, and  recruited in Texas.
He's young and the bio I read didn't mention a wife or family so he should be unencumbered and able to be an aggressive recruiter.
Time to welcome him to the family, support him and wish him great success.

He has two children.