Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's be honest...NMST was fool's gold

Started by twistitup, October 02, 2017, 12:39:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 03:55:22 pm
No he didnt lol. Last week he was warning us how good this team was and it was a trap game. This week he is telling us how crappy they are and we should be shamed of ourselves for beating them by less than 100. Haha, made a good point.

Never called them crappy, never said we should be shamed  - They did to us what I thought they would. Never did I predict them beating us - I said we would win. Their qb threw for over 300 yards on our D - if that doesn't worry you...I can't help.

I have said it was a good win...and our DC agrees with me - we better shore up the D or it won't be pretty going forward.

You are a joke.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 01:07:14 pm
If their QB can put up big numbers against our D...what will SEC teams do?

We either improve quickly or we will get embarrassed in our conference

Currently, Ole Miss is the only SEC team with better passing offense than NMSU, and I don't think we are going to have trouble beating them. So, what was your point again? We just handled the best passing offense we are going to face this year.

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:00:32 pm
We just handled the best passing offense we are going to face this year.

I hope you are just joking...

wow

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 01:10:05 pm
well, you assume that the sec qb's are as good as that guy. From what I have seen, he's better than what SC, LSU and OM have. Mizzu has a good Qb but they are a flaming crater.

Mizzou currently has the 34th best passing offense in the country, to NMSU's 10th ranked passing offense.

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:02:03 pm
Mizzou currently has the 34th best passing offense in the country, to NMSU's 10th ranked passing offense.

How does our pass D rank in the country?

Do you think NMSU has SEC quality receivers?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 04:04:40 pm

They have one that could start for anyone in the SEC.  He'll be in the NFL next year.  They have another that is only a few inches of height away from being an SEC WR. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 04:01:52 pm
I hope you are just joking...

wow

I know you never actually take stats or facts into consideration, but in case you do, may I suggest this link...

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

gchamblee

Yes they do actually have some SEC talent at WR. Aren't you tired of being wrong yet? And quit trying to change the subject of your thread now that you have been called out. Regardless of what our pass d is ranked, we beat them by 18 points. Youll have to find some way to cope with that.

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:13:23 pm
Yes they do actually have some SEC talent at WR. Aren't you tired of being wrong yet? And quit trying to change the subject of your thread now that you have been called out. Regardless of what our pass d is ranked, we beat them by 18 points. Youll have to find some way to cope with that.

Change the subject? I'm not changing the subject, I'm talking about NMSU and our pass D - we won, but it doesn't change a thing our football team- we are lacking in many areas.

We beat them by 18 points - I'm happy, next up - an SEC opponent....we better shore up that D

It's damn sure not time to dance!

factchecker

Scott (6-6 215) could without a doubt start for many SEC teams.

He is legit:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 04:18:03 pm
Scott (6-6 215) could without a doubt start for many SEC teams.

He is legit:

Not a fact - an opinion (why IS he not at a better school?)

Question:

How many of our DB's would start at other SEC schools?

hamsam

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 02, 2017, 12:41:04 pm
Let's be honest...these threads are getting old.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 04:18:44 pm
Not a fact - an opinion

Question:

I guess that could be said about any player on any team, subjective and opinion based.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on October 02, 2017, 04:21:09 pm
I guess that could be said about any player on any team, subjective and opinion based.

It's why we are here

woodrow hog call

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:52:08 pm
I was there - enjoyed it. I felt like the only one in the crowd actually watching the game - DEAD ATMOSPHERE

I'm sure were watching very intently ...................................................................
looking for something else to complain about.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 04:17:42 pm
Change the subject? I'm not changing the subject, I'm talking about NMSU and our pass D - we won, but it doesn't change a thing our football team- we are lacking in many areas.

We beat them by 18 points - I'm happy, next up - an SEC opponent....we better shore up that D

It's damn sure not time to dance!

Im glad you put a stop to all that dancing. Hogville is out of control with all this confidence from beating NMSU.

factchecker

Question:

I don't know his history but plenty of kids are overlooked.  He is being looked at as a middle round NFL pick:

QuoteNFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah says New Mexico State redshirt senior WR Jaleel Scott "has rare size and ball skills."
Scott (6'6/215) has been a highlight machine in the early-going, with one-handed grabs and contested catches littered among his receptions. "Watching him live, I appreciated his ability to set up defenders and use his big body to wall them off down the field," Jeremiah wrote. "He belongs in the Reese's Senior Bowl and I believe he could end up being a middle-round pick."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

We will be facing lots of mid round talent in the near future...hope we improve 

GuvHog

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:39:12 pm
If we play like we did against NMST - we will get slaughtered in SEC play...

I know  it's a down year for the SEC - but not THAT down. Teams will be picking apart the TCU, NMST, and A&M films - they will exploit our weaknesses (and there are many of them).

I am a huge fan, but a realistic one too - NMST was a decent Sunbelt team with subpar talent- not a good meter for improvement when we play against some of the toughest teams in the nation in the next month.

I hope we come out and crush USCe but I wouldn't put any money on it. NMST was fools gold

New Mexico State had an NFL caliber QB and an NFL caliber RB. NMS wasn't fool's Gold.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RME

Why weren't a shitload of NFL players who went to FCS or G5 schools not at better schools?

That argument is so useless it's laughable.

twistitup

October 02, 2017, 06:32:38 pm #120 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:47:39 pm by twistitup
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 02, 2017, 06:11:35 pm
Why weren't a shitload of NFL players who went to FCS or G5 schools not at better schools?

That argument is so useless it's laughable.

There aren't a shitload- look at the draft - most kids still come from notable programs...there are always exceptions - but the NFL is not full of kids from NMSU or the like

Hoginsavga

This will be an interesting year in the SEC with regard to the heads that roll and who will be first.  I am referring to ADs' and HCs'. Except for the stupid buyouts I think a lot of coaches are on the hot seat. Because of the stupid buyouts some ADs are equally on the hot seat.

The season is still young so things can change but right now I can see LSU, Mizzo, TN, Ole Mrs, AR as very hot. Fl, SC, A$M could get warm fast. The others are probably safe for now but that could change, except AL, UGA and Auburn appear to be in the drivers seat.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 04:13:23 pm
Looks like you got him all twisted up. ;D

hogblitz

Quote from: GuvHog on October 02, 2017, 06:10:34 pm
New Mexico State had an NFL caliber QB and an NFL caliber RB. NMS wasn't fool's Gold.
The fact of the matter is the same deficiencies  that we have had for the last 2 or 3 seasons were still visible against this Sun Belt team.  There have been no issues corrected  and there never will be with this staff whether it's in season or in the off season.  It's ground hog day every game and year! 

MuskogeeHogFan

I know  it's a down year for the SEC - but not THAT down. Teams will be picking apart the TCU, NMST, and A&M films - they will exploit our weaknesses (and there are many of them).

I am a huge fan, but a realistic one too - NMST was a decent Sunbelt team with subpar talent- not a good meter for improvement when we play against some of the toughest teams in the nation in the next month.

I hope we come out and crush USCe but I wouldn't put any money on it. NMST was fools gold

Re: NMSU will test our O-Line
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:24 pm »

ReplyQuote
    ModifyModify
    RemoveRemove
    Split TopicSplit Topic

Quote from: rhames on September 27, 2017, 07:35:47 pm

This will be a close game at the end of the first quarter. Arkansas  begins to run away at half.

Ark 38 NMSU 14

I wish I was with you here  - I think it will be, at most, a 10 pt game....on edge until the middle of the 4th qtr

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=638537.0
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hogblitz on October 02, 2017, 06:41:57 pm
The fact of the matter is the same deficiencies  that we have had for the last 2 or 3 seasons were still visible against this Sun Belt team.  There have been no issues corrected  and there never will be with this staff whether it's in season or in the off season.  It's ground hog day every game and year!
I believe we had more yards passing than running the ball against NMSU.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 06:48:42 pm
^^

Great job Musk

Just saying, no need to always take the worst case opinion. I'll even say that we should have scored 14 in every quarter. Should have won by 14 more than we did. But that is no indicator or predictor of future success.

We will see what happens. I'm hoping for the best.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 02, 2017, 06:51:53 pm
Just saying, no need to always take the worst case opinion. I'll even say that we should have scored 14 in every quarter. Should have won by 14 more than we did. But that is no indicator or predictor of future success.

We will see what happens. I'm hoping for the best.

I'm hoping for the best too - we will need crazy improvement to compete with most of the SEC teams on our schedule.

The speed difference will be hard to correct

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 06:54:04 pm
I'm hoping for the best too - we will need crazy improvement to compete with most of the SEC teams on our schedule.

Speed where? On Defense? Being aligned properly and following the scheme and call can put you in a better position to defend speed. On Offense? We have plenty of speed, it is just learning how to bend routes and come back to the QB when he is in trouble.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 02, 2017, 07:01:12 pm
Speed where? On Defense? Being aligned properly and following the scheme and call can put you in a better position to defend speed. On Offense? We have plenty of speed, it is just learning how to bend routes and come back to the QB when he is in trouble.

From special teams to O & D....we don't have the team speed of other SEC teams. Did you watch other games on TV Sat?  We can correct alot of things including alignments, routes, etc.....but we can't correct size and speed differences at this point in time. Recruiting and a better off season program will correct those issues.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 07:05:03 pm
From special teams to O & D....we don't have the team speed of other SEC teams. Did you watch other games on TV Sat?  We can correct alot of things including alignments, routes, etc.....but we can't correct size and speed differences at this point in time. Recruiting and a better off season program will correct those issues.

Disagree.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 06:32:38 pm
There aren't a shitload- look at the draft - most kids still come from notable programs...there are always exceptions - but the NFL is not full of kids from NMSU or the like

Good attempt at a spin. I said a shitload, meaning a lot. Not a majority. Never said a majority were from non-P5 schools. But a lot are.

So again I ask: Why are a lot (a lot does not constitute a majority) of NFL players from FCS or G5 schools? Why weren't better teams after them in college?

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 02, 2017, 07:07:57 pm
Disagree.

Fair Enough

Disagreements are ok...we can revisit the discussion after Sat.

I've been trying to revisit the Pittman/Chaney discussion in another thread but nobody want to play.

All of these disagreements are fun to look back on.

HeathWimp

Fool's gold or not, we have seen some puffed up chests on here since the game.....
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 07:09:10 pm
Fair Enough

I've been trying to revisit the Pittman/Chaney discussion in another thread but nobody want to play.

You mean like your prediction about the game with NMSU?
Go Hogs Go!

SPAL

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 03:53:39 pm
I've bumped heads with you before, but I admire the way you handle the baseball forum and you seem to be a pretty reasonable guy. People think I am an agenda pusher, so I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your contributions to the board, even when I don't agree. I'd have a beer with ya.

Thank you, sir. Everyone is agenda driven in some way or another. That doesn't mean everyone is wrong just because we don't agree on things. The baseball forum encourages civil debate. I think it's fun and healthy to share opinions and debate in a healthy manner. It's not fun, however, to have to Wade through troll droppings to get there. I appreciate the kind words.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HeathWimp on October 02, 2017, 07:15:22 pm
Fool's gold or not, we have seen some puffed up chests on here since the game.....

Nothing puffed up here, we have work to do. I'm more worried about our tendency to take it slow in the second half and slow play it, than going for the throat. That has to be corrected.
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:47:41 pm
Everybody had AU circled as a W, what happened to that. NO TEAM in the SEC has more problems than we do. Oline, Defense, and Special Teams have major issues, MAJOR - but according to CBB everything can be corrected. We shall see...

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, MSU, SC-E, Mizzou, aTm, and Florida all say hi.

hogblitz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 02, 2017, 07:21:12 pm
Nothing puffed up here, we have work to do. I'm more worried about our tendency to take it slow in the second half and slow play it, than going for the throat. That has to be corrected.
Yep.  I believe it was 14-14 in the second half.  Those tendencies that you speak of have been there through MANY games in CBB tenure.  Nothing new there. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: rhames on October 02, 2017, 12:41:20 pm

Can't have it both ways.

Oh yes they can.  Been goin' on for a long time.

MissippHog

Question:

You were at the game.  If you couldn't see for yourself that dude is an elite receiver, I don't know what to tell you.  Why he is at NMSU is irrelevant, really. 

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 07:09:10 pm
Fair Enough

Nothing to debate really. Pittman is a great OL coach and Chaney is a ** OC. It is easier to cover bad coaching with great talent than it is to hide bad talent with great coaching. Chaney is having success because of great recruiting classes.

The OTR

Never seen so much arguing.  Not surprised to see the usual suspects all mixed up in it.  Not one bit surprised.

31to6

So this is what I was trying to express in my "good-bad-ugly" thread, but with less blatant negativity.

When you beat the crap out of NMSU the score is irrelevant. What matters is *how* you won. The "between the lines" story.

I definitely think some things looked better. We spread the ball around in the passing game. But was that because the WR's are clicking or because the guys were too fast for NMSU to cover (but could not get open vs. TCU/aTm?).

The OL didn't give up any sacks. But on at least one RZ possession it was like watching 20 chimps trying to reproduce with a beach ball because they couldn't generate a push on a mediocre G5 D-line.

I *hate* to not be upbeat. I love the hogs. Emotionally the win had to be good for them even if it was fools gold. They would have learned nothing from getting their teeth kicked in by a 'bama last weekend. Indeed it might have broken them for the season. Morale matters.

My 10-yr old was at the game and the two college guys behind us were (humorously) shredding the coaching/playcalling/execution. Part of me wanted to join in. Part of me wanted to punch them for messing up my son's game experience. [They left early. My kid said "well, that shows they aren't real fans after all". LOL]

But you are right. Those who are quoting the statistical results of the game are fooling themselves.

I saw some signs of progress. One only expects week 5 to be better than week 2. But it is really dangerous to draw too strong of conclusions from a win over a bad, inferior team.

31to6

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 06:54:04 pm

So the good news is that the SEC really and truly sucks this year.

Ole Miss is awol.
Sakerlina has a stout D but a terrible offense. (The recipe for succes for us: bad offenses).
Mizzou might not even be a football program by the time we play them (but then,theymight pass for 1000 on us...)

Wins are possible. We might be able to claw our way to the middle of the pack on shear "want to" if the staff can keep the team improving.

jgphillips3

Until we shore up the O-line and our defense settles in, we are a bad football team.  We are capable of losing to every team but coastal Carolina.  Alabama and Auburn will treat us like $2 hookers on dollar night.  If you are counting on going better than 50/50 against the rest of the SEC, I just don't see it.  As bad as they are, we are just as bad.  Some of these bad teams will improve.  Could be us.  Could be them.  We're 0-1 in conference.  If we don't beat South Carolina, and that is not a given no matter what anyone thinks, we will have for sure 4 losses.  I don't see us running the table on Ole Miss, MSU, LSU and Mizzou with our inconsistent play.  This South Carolina game is the season.  Win it, we still have hopes of climbing all the way up to moderately less crappy than the rest of the league.  Lose it and we will be so far behind the 8 ball before more winnable SEC games arrive that it just ain't likely to happen.  If there is one, single pivotal game that determines the CBB era, it is this weekend.

31to6

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 02, 2017, 09:58:13 pmIf you are counting on going better than 50/50 against the rest of the SEC, I just don't see it.

If you are offering 50/50 on LSU, MSU, OM, USCe and Mizzou I will buy that RIGHT NOW.

Can I get 51/49 and go 3-2 from that crowd? Sold, american.

:)

You are spot on.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: factchecker on October 02, 2017, 12:43:51 pm
THEY.  ARE.  MAD.   WE.  WON!!!!!

Just like the fans who were mad about the attendance being better than expected.

They want the program to fail and catch fire.

When it doesn't they try and start the fire themselves.
The OP is mostly right. It was a good game by the Hogs, a win is a win, but 42-24 is hardly dominating.
Still good because I was afraid they might sleepwalk against a team like NM St like Texas A&M did against Nicholls St and allow them to hang around, but the Hogs didn't, so they deserve credit for that.

I never wish the Hogs to lose.
However I have entered the same zone that I entered in February with the basketball team after three atrocious games against Ok St, Vandy at home, and hapless Missouri on the road and the NCAA was looking dire. It was a no-lose situation. We either get hot and make the NCAAs and most people are happy, or we continue losing, miss the NCAAs again, and we either get a new coach or the pressure is really ratched up on Anderson to get with it.

Likewise now, it's a no-lose situation for me. We can get hot like 2015 when we won 6 of the last 7 games and everyone feels pretty good about the future, or we can flounder the rest of the year and CBB is on the hot seat. I win either way.

I HAVE NOW ENTERED THE WIN-WIN ZONE. I am no longer fretting these games at all, whatever happens, happens. It's actually refreshing not to obsess over games.

sickboy

Quote from: twistitup on October 02, 2017, 12:47:41 pm
Everybody had AU circled as a W, what happened to that. NO TEAM in the SEC has more problems than we do. Oline, Defense, and Special Teams have major issues, MAJOR - but according to CBB everything can be corrected. We shall see...

LSU, Miss State for the time being, Ole Miss, Missouri, mayyyyybe Kentucky, definitely Vanderbilt, definitely Tennessee all have just as much, if not more problems than Arkansas right now.