Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

two players mention losing weight

Started by Kevin, October 04, 2017, 10:55:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

found it interesting on Monday, cbb mention whaley felt like he needed to lose a little weight, this coming off j-red purposely losing 10-12 lbs before the a&m game.

seems strange to be doing that know.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

If you talk about our nutrition program on here, you will get killed for it. I agree with you, during the season is not the time to evaluate your weight - off season seems to be the time for that. I don't know if we even had an off season program - we don't look quicker, stronger, or faster

But maybe all get corrected this week - we may be faster, stronger, quicker, and a bit lighter
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

It's not that unusual.  You guys are just a bit confused.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 04, 2017, 12:36:33 pm
It's not that unusual.  You guys are just a bit confused.

Yeah...lots of players go on diets during the season.

Most players struggle to keep on weight during the season - they don't continue gaining.

The liquid diet Whaley is on must be high calorie

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:38:38 pm
Yeah...lots of players go on diets during the season.

Most players struggle to keep on weight during the season - they don't continue gaining.

The liquid diet Whaley is on must be high calorie

Dropping a few lbs doesn't always mean going on a diet. It could be that he's letting a few lbs shed off instead of trying to keep them.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 04, 2017, 12:40:28 pm
Dropping a few lbs doesn't always mean going on a diet.

He shouldn't be heavy going into the 5th damn game of the season - they had ALL SUMMER to figure that out.

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:41:43 pm
He shouldn't be heavy going into the 5th damn game of the season - they had ALL SUMMER to figure that out.

I get it that you've got to reach for something.  But you've got no idea what's going on. It could be that after five games he's decided he could be a bit faster if he let a few lbs drop off.  It could be that he's decided to stop eating fast food. We literally have no clue what specifics he's talking about. So why invent reasons to be upset about it? It doesn't mean he as sout if shape until now.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:33:10 pm
If you talk about our nutrition program on here, you will get killed for it. I agree with you, during the season is not the time to evaluate your weight - off season seems to be the time for that. I don't know if we even had an off season program - we don't look quicker, stronger, or faster

But maybe all get corrected this week - we may be faster, stronger, quicker, and a bit lighter

That is funny. (Hopefully it was meant to be funny.)

When I've heard the 'weight' comments, I thought it was strange too. Coaches know what happens to players when Fall practices begin, then what happens as the season begins. I would think they'd keep a close eye on ALL players over the summer, especially late summer before they officially report. I mean, it's kind of important.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 04, 2017, 12:44:04 pm
I get it that you've got to reach for something.  But you've got no idea what's going on. It could be that after five games he's decided he could be a bit faster if he let a few lbs drop off.  It could be that he's decided to stop eating fast food. We literally have no clue what specifics he's talking about. So why invent reasons to be upset about it? It doesn't mean he as sout if shape until now.

It means he didn't pay attention to it during the summer - I would expect athletes on full schollie to watch those kinds of things and KNOW if you play better 10 pounds heavier or lighter.

He didn't just start playing football- he knows what weight he plays best at. Be there when the season starts!

DeltaBoy

I agree they should know what to do .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TheEnemy

It can be a little more complicated than some think.

When you get into camp and practice you don't know how many calories you are going to be burning per day and it can be easy bulk up a little too much.  Specially if we are talking 10-12 pounds.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:46:44 pm
It means he didn't pay attention to it during the summer - I would expect athletes on full schollie to watch those kinds of things and KNOW if you play better 10 pounds heavier or lighter.

He didn't just start playing football- he knows what weight he plays best at. Be there when the season starts!

J'Red was out with a back injury for a long period, I can see where he might have put on a few pounds and once he was cleared, dropped them. Also, truthfully, we don't know what they do or don't weigh, or how many pounds they add or drop.

sickboy

You do set off season weight goals, definitely. But it could also be strategic. There's nothing wrong with changing your playing weight during the season if you feel you're not playing well at your current weight. Could be the players are just trying to find something to give them an edge or boost. That's totally healthy. It means they care about winning. Or at least, fighting toward winning.

There are definitely things to gripe about right now. I'm not sure players changing their playing weight is high on the list.

Oklahawg

Quote from: sickboy on October 04, 2017, 12:52:28 pm
You do set off season weight goals, definitely. But it could also be strategic. There's nothing wrong with changing your playing weight during the season if you feel you're not playing well at your current weight. Could be the players are just trying to find something to give them an edge or boost. That's totally healthy. It means they care about winning. Or at least, fighting toward winning.

There are definitely things to gripe about right now. I'm not sure players changing their playing weight is high on the list.

The problem isn't the change. Whether it is for physical or psychological reasons, make the change!

The problem is a sudden weight loss usually robs you of fluids, which help lubricate things like big muscles and tendons. Like, uh, achilles tendons.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bennyl08

That happens all the time in the NFL. Players who have been playing professionally for longer than Whaley has known how to hold a football.

All you are doing is showing an obscene amount of ignorance. Which is fine if you are asking and trying to learn more. However, when all you want to do is wallow in ignorance, then don't expect people to be nice to you about it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 04, 2017, 12:56:39 pm
That happens all the time in the NFL. Players who have been playing professionally for longer than Whaley has known how to hold a football.

All you are doing is showing an obscene amount of ignorance. Which is fine if you are asking and trying to learn more. However, when all you want to do is wallow in ignorance, then don't expect people to be nice to you about it.

Exactly.

HogHomer

Athletes or not they are still 18-22 year old kids and you can't watch them every second of the day. Coaches will get onto the players to eat right even when they aren't at the facility but it's up to the player to actually listen to the advice when he's on his own.

PorkRinds

Why assume he's not disciplined? I would assume he was at or near they weight they wanted to start the season. As games have gone along he's decided that he could be better if he dropped a few lbs.  This entire argument is stupid.

HogHomer

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 04, 2017, 01:00:32 pm
Why assume he's not disciplined? I would assume he was at or near they weight they wanted to start the season. As games have gone along he's decided that he could be better if he dropped a few lbs.  This entire argument is stupid.
I guess I should have qualified with this isn't about Whaley but athletes in general. I have seen first hand some players will skip meals for free at the facility to go down to the McDonalds for a burger. A lot of kids don't understand that eating healthy is essential to fulfilling your potential. Doesn't mean they are undisciplined just means they haven't figured it out.

Bubba's Bruisers

BB deserves plenty of criticisms, but goodness, how big of deal can this really be?  I suppose we just continue to slither through the weeds looking for anything we can.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PORKULATOR

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:33:10 pm

Way to cover both sides of the fence on this one. That  maybe was your 50/50 ball. Lol

Ny
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

woodrow hog call

Ideally a number of backs want to go into the season a little on the heavy side, because most think it will help them absorb the punishment a little better. Then as the season is going on you are likely to drop some pounds, maybe he wasn't dropping like he thought he would, he isn't carrying as much of the load as he would have if the other two had not of worked into the rotation so quickly.

Not surprising that the same people jump at the chance to rant and rave about things they don't know anything about.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Kevin

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 04, 2017, 01:09:18 pm
Ideally a number of backs want to go into the season a little on the heavy side, because most think it will help them absorb the punishment a little better. Then as the season is going on you are likely to drop some pounds, maybe he wasn't dropping like he thought he would, he isn't carrying as much of the load as he would have if the other two had not of worked into the rotation so quickly.

Not surprising that the same people jump at the chance to rant and rave about things they don't know anything about.

who is ranting & raving? I found it odd. that is all
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Grizzlyfan

Put this together with what Alvarez said at the LR touchdown club.  At Wisconsin he and Bret could recruit all the big, strong guys they could say grace over.  But not speed.  And in the SEC you must have speed.  Extra weight would likely translate to lack of speed.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

If he just added the weight after last season, and did not play at the heavier weight until this season; but after 4 games felt as if he could play better and have more endurance after talking to his teammate and his feeling about dropping weight, then he could make a decision based on his feelings.

It's not the coaches job to select a weight for his players and demand they stick to it. Remember when Cedric Cobbs added weight and then let it fall off to regain speed..?

Why do you constantly obsess over every detail and try to squeeze out every ounce of CBB stank and run to the board with another asinine theory to add to your archive of evidence that CBB is a fool..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

twistitup

All solved w an SEC win -   hope Whaley gains a step

jjdlc

Can't speak for Whaleys weight loss, but J-Reds was due to conditioning after having been sidelined from injuries.  Nothing unusual at all there.

factchecker

Whaley probably lost weight because his jaw was wired shut.............. wait - that was a lie spread by hogville "realists".

Where are all those sources now?

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 12:38:38 pm

That was my understanding as well.  that they beef up in the offseason then lose weight naturally during the season due to the grind of playing every week, and not lifting as much.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

KlubhouseKonnected

We talkin about diets mayne... Diets...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

The OTR

All I know is in that tv show about the man himself he said they are lobster and steak after wins and hot dogs and macaroni after losses. 

Since we have a couple of losses we know they've been eating hot dogs and macaroni, neither one a diet food.  Of course lobsters slathered in melted butter are fairly high in calories if not carbs so that might have hurt the guys a little bit too.

I don't know anything else about what they eat and it is pure speculation that they eat jelly sandwiches at half time.  I have never heard that anywhere besides here and since I'm usually the one talking about it I don't even know if it's true or not because it's never been discussed by those who might actually know something. I guess I leaned  about jelly sandwiches here since this is the only place I read when it comes to the Hogs.

Twist has himself in another jam with everyone it appears.  Not sure why everyone is taking shots at the man.  His questions and posts seem quite innocuous but they sure seem to draw the ire of folks in here for some reason. 

Maybe even veteran posters could use some mentoring now and then. I'd be willing to work with twist.  He's good people.

Silver Hog

twistitup

^^

Thanks for the support Pillow....people get touchy on the food / nutrition thing - wow...

I'm just want the team to reach their potential and players trying to lose weight in season just doesn't add up. I guess I shouldn't care...

Eat donuts - Let's just get a damn win against an SEC school.

The OTR

Quote from: twistitup on October 04, 2017, 06:40:28 pm
^^

Thanks for the support Pillow....people get touchy on the food / nutrition thing - wow...

I'm just want the team to reach their potential and players trying to lose weight in season just doesn't add up. I guess I shouldn't care...

Eat donuts - Let's just get a damn win against an SEC school.

No problem twist.  Could you hook me up with one of those key lime pies you're talking about?

I agree with you on a lot of this stuff.  Seems like guys should come into august at the right weight or close to it.  You don't hear a lot about players needing to lose weight during the season but I guess it does happen more than we realize.  We don't look overly imposing this year to me but it's really hard to tell anyway.  Only a handful of teams have specimens at nearly every position.  We don't.  That as much as anything is probably why we're average at best this year. 

LRrazorback

Any mention of the coach trying to lose weight?

twistitup

Quote from: LRrazorback on October 04, 2017, 07:46:39 pm
Any mention of the coach trying to lose weight?

I've got a theory:

It looks like he gained w his wife while she was preg (sympathy weight) - now that the baby is here, I figure he will lose w her too

Slim, Trim CBB just around the bend

TomasPistola

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2017, 10:55:42 am
found it interesting on Monday, cbb mention whaley felt like he needed to lose a little weight, this coming off j-red purposely losing 10-12 lbs before the a&m game.

seems strange to be doing that know.

I think he needs to lose a biggers amount of weight than that.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

LZH

Dude down here ate a 3 pound cheeseburger that his wife ordered for him. He said he was just crazy hungry and ate the whole damn thing.

Turns out he won a pic on the wall and a t-shirt.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on October 04, 2017, 08:34:09 pm
Dude down here ate a 3 pound cheeseburger that his wife ordered for him. He said he was just crazy hungry and ate the whole damn thing.

Turns out he won a pic on the wall and a t-shirt.

I saw a guy take on a huge burrito challenge one time and when he couldn't finish it he claimed he didn't realize he'd have to pay for it. Cost him a cool $50.

theFlyingHog

Thanks Benny

Porkchop#1

You got ole Twist pegged sure enough.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: HogHomer on October 04, 2017, 12:58:42 pm
Athletes or not they are still 18-22 year old kids and you can't watch them every second of the day. Coaches will get onto the players to eat right even when they aren't at the facility but it's up to the player to actually listen to the advice when he's on his own.
That's a good point. They're 18-22 year old kids.

I mean hell, I remember an article about Collins where it was a big deal that the coaches made him eat breakfast because when he was growing up he usually didn't eat breakfast. Criticize coaching decisions and overall strategy all day, but you're still dealing with 18-22 year old kids and the coaches can only do so much, I know it's not kosher to criticize players but at some point...
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HogHomer

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 04, 2017, 09:15:27 pm
That's a good point. They're 18-22 year old kids.

I mean hell, I remember an article about Collins where it was a big deal that the coaches made him eat breakfast because when he was growing up he usually didn't eat breakfast. Criticize coaching decisions and overall strategy all day, but you're still dealing with 18-22 year old kids and the coaches can only do so much, I know it's not kosher to criticize players but at some point...
I don't know if criticize is the right word but we do need to start assigning more responsibility to them. Coaches can't assign someone to every player to make sure they wake up to go to class or to make sure they eat right when they aren't at the facilities. In the SEC and D1 for that matter it's almost a full time job and it takes commitment to make sure you do everything right under your control to reach your full potential.
And if you don't want that commitment fine but understand that the coaches are coaching for their jobs and are the ones to take most of the blame.

SkeeterHawg

I don't know but we used to go in into preseason practices at a certain weight. Coaches would tell us you will lose x amount of weight during 2 a days and the heat of august. Well guess what, no more 2 a days and if I remember correctly, august was fairly cool. Maybe he didn't lose as much as they expected him to lose.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on October 05, 2017, 12:13:22 am
I don't know but we used to go in into preseason practices at a certain weight. Coaches would tell us you will lose x amount of weight during 2 a days and the heat of august. Well guess what, no more 2 a days and if I remember correctly, august was fairly cool. Maybe he didn't lose as much as they expected him to lose.
They're on campus pretty much all year these days. Sounds like he played some games and felt like trying to be a little lighter and see what happens.

This really isn't that big of a deal but I know this is hogville, home of the thousand idiot coaches who know better

RazorWhacker

Devwah, you should ALWAYS come to HV for advice before making monumental decisions like how much you should weigh.

Let that be a lesson to ya.

hawg66

My gosh. Two players out of 125 losing weight. That's like 1.6%!!!  More obvious proof that Bielema needs to go. Sheesh. hogville at its finest.

JaketheSnake

I'll never forget listening to a Cal Ripken jr talk about a game that he made a couple errors in.  He said after that game he spent several hours running on treadmill to make sure it didn't happen again.  Part of his motivation was punishment and part physical. 

lasthog

Quote from: hawg66 on October 05, 2017, 09:10:13 am
My gosh. Two players out of 125 losing weight. That's like 1.6%!!!  More obvious proof that Bielema needs to go. Sheesh. hogville at its finest.

Obviously you missed the point: The rest of them should lose weight also.

snoblind

Where's the dude who joined HV just to tell us about DW's broken jaw and being out for the season.  I'm certain he can get us the real story on this.