Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When is Mike going to have Jones ready to contribute?

Started by Atlhogfan1, January 13, 2017, 12:38:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

10-19 from 3 on the season
Team is shooting 36%(35% without Jones' 10-19) including 30% on the road- finished last season 39.7% 

6-5 athletic
We struggle to guard big guards and forwards.  The SEC's 2nd leading 3pt shooter, a 6-4 G, just went 6-7 from 3 vs Hogs. 

If we aren't getting enough from other players, why the Anderson pucker again when it comes to playing a freshman?  How far away is he from being ready?  Pretty obvious the right combos haven't been found.

Not saying Jones should take the minutes of these players but just some observations:
Barford is shooting 26% from 3.  2-8 in our 4 SEC games (2 makes in win vs Tenn)  This couldn't have been what was expected of the #1 JC player and a high scorer.  31 assists to 30 turnovers and only 16 steals

Hannahs - 36% from 3 vs 43% last season.  PPG down 2.4 along with his minutes.

Cook -  :-X

The Watkins discussion has been beaten to death already.  I appreciate what he tries to give and what he does do. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 12:53:09 pm
He got a shot last game, and barely hit anything.

Sporadic playing time - knows he's being eagle-eyed by the coach - he doesn't have a prayer.
[CENSORED]!

navyhog24

I hope this lack of PT doesn't lead to a transfer after the season. Mike needs to let the frosh get minutes. They really can't be any worse than those that are playing.

hogsanity

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 13, 2017, 01:13:01 pm
I hope this lack of PT doesn't lead to a transfer after the season. Mike needs to let the frosh get minutes. They really can't be any worse than those that are playing.

Trending alot like Babb two years ago. Seems like Jones is not allowed to make the same mistakes as the other guys without getting yanked. Mike seems to have one FR per season that leaves because he gets treated that way. I'd play Jones a lot more over at least 1 guy that is playing alot, but is no offensive threat at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

You are better than that Iceman.

Minutes
FORT WAYNE
W 92-83  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
S ILLINOIS
W 90-65  17
UT-ARLINGTON
W 71-67  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
MINNESOTA
L 85-71  4
MT ST MARY'S
W 89-76  14
SF AUSTIN
W 78-62  11
AUSTIN PEAY
W 99-62  15
HOUSTON
W 84-72  7
NORTH FLORIDA
W 91-76  5
TEXAS
W 77-74  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
NORTH DAKOTA ST
W 71-55  11
SAM HOUSTON
W 90-56  14

#25 FLORIDA
L 81-72  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
TENNESSEE
W 82-78  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
#6 KENTUCKY
L 97-71  1
MISS ST
L 84-78  5

Didn't post this to suggest he is the answer.  May not even be an answer. 

Invested some time in him in the non conference.  Miss St first game he played in which was competitive/close. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 02:18:41 pm
You are better than that Iceman.

Minutes
FORT WAYNE
W 92-83  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
S ILLINOIS
W 90-65  17
UT-ARLINGTON
W 71-67  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
MINNESOTA
L 85-71  4
MT ST MARY'S
W 89-76  14
SF AUSTIN
W 78-62  11
AUSTIN PEAY
W 99-62  15
HOUSTON
W 84-72  7
NORTH FLORIDA
W 91-76  5
TEXAS
W 77-74  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
NORTH DAKOTA ST
W 71-55  11
SAM HOUSTON
W 90-56  14

#25 FLORIDA
L 81-72  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
TENNESSEE
W 82-78  Did not play or did not accumulate any stats.
#6 KENTUCKY
L 97-71  1
MISS ST
L 84-78  5

Didn't post this to suggest he is the answer.  May not even be an answer. 

Invested some time in him in the non conference.  Miss St first game he played in which was competitive/close. 

That looks almost exactly how MA played Babb.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2017, 02:49:21 pm
That looks almost exactly how MA played Babb.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136173/year/2015/nick-babb

Biggus was right in using the word sporadic. 

Babb didn't play in the opener then played 2-8 minutes in the next 12 non conf games with the exception of 18 minutes vs Iona and 13 vs Utah Valley right before conference play.  Then 3 DNPs to start SEC play.  After we lose to Tenn, we get another couple of appearances of 8 and 5 min then it is 1-3 min or DNPs till 13 min vs UGa in the SECT.

Jones: DNP, 17 min, DNP, 4, 11, 14, 15, 7, 5 DNP, 11, 14, DNP, DNP,1,5

We've known Mike's m.o.  Another one of those Nolan things.  Practice well and a player gets 15-20 minutes when we haven't seen him on the court for a month.   

Biggus Piggus

MA is a bit inflexible about his substitution patterns. He plays as many players as Nolan did, but this season he has had trouble identifying the leadership.

Average minutes played for the 1989-90 Razorbacks - adjusted for total games. They usually give up average minutes excluding DNPs. This covers all games.

32 G Lee Mayberry
29 G-F Todd Day
23 G-F Lenzie Howell
22 F Oliver Miller
21 G Arlyn Bowers
19 G-F Ron Huery
18 F Mario Credit
11 G Ernie Murry
10 G Darrell Hawkins
7 F Larry Marks
3 G Cannon Whitby
2 G Warren Linn

Seven guards and wing players were given double-digit minutes. Arkansas had great flexibility with all the wing guys (Day, Howell, Huery, Hawkins).

Current team:

28 F Kingsley
25 G Macon
24 G Hannahs
22 G Barford
22 G Watkins
21 G Beard
19 F Thomas
13 F Cook
12 F Thompson
7 G Jones
6 F Bailey
2 F Hazen

Five guards are getting double-digit minutes. In my view, the roster of guards is less flexible than the '89-90 team used for comparison. They are not as versatile on the defensive end, and they are not as usable on the wing. Jones, a 6-5 guard, ought to be useful at some point. Arkansas could use a 6-5 player on the wing, for matchup purposes.

Ever since Arkansas hired Anderson, the Razorbacks have had difficulty with guard and wing matchups. This year, already struggled with Florida G Allen and combo F Robinson, Tennessee swingman Hubbs, Kentucky PG Fox, Mississippi State G Weatherspoon.

Will have issues with LSU G Blakeney, Vandy G Fisher-Davis, Oklahoma State G Evans and Forte, F Carroll, South Carolina G Thornwell and F Dozier, Ole Miss G Burnett, Auburn G Heron and Harper, Georgia G Frazier. The taller ones who can shoot from the wing, the quick ones who can break down our defense, they are chronic problems.
[CENSORED]!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Lots of team pare down minutes once conf play starts but I also think for kids to get better they need to play, and be given a little freedom to make mistakes and learn from them.  Wasn't it Anton Beard finally getting some minutes in SEC play that sparked the back half for the team 2 years ago?  I was actually surprised CJ got the minutes in the last game since it was such a close one.  What I want to see is the hustle and if they make a mistake as long as they are hustling on the next play to make up for it, fine.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HoopS

This is one of my complaints too. I don't get it. He looked like the second best new player we had then he disappears. Love his upside. Hope he stays. Wouldn't blame him if he considers his options if he keeps having to go to the nurse to get the splinters out of his butt.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 13, 2017, 03:52:02 pm
MA is a bit inflexible about his substitution patterns. He plays as many players as Nolan did, but this season he has had trouble identifying the leadership.

Average minutes played for the 1989-90 Razorbacks - adjusted for total games. They usually give up average minutes excluding DNPs. This covers all games.

32 G Lee Mayberry
29 G-F Todd Day
23 G-F Lenzie Howell
22 F Oliver Miller
21 G Arlyn Bowers
19 G-F Ron Huery
18 F Mario Credit
11 G Ernie Murry
10 G Darrell Hawkins
7 F Larry Marks
3 G Cannon Whitby
2 G Warren Linn

Seven guards and wing players were given double-digit minutes. Arkansas had great flexibility with all the wing guys (Day, Howell, Huery, Hawkins).

Current team:

28 F Kingsley
25 G Macon
24 G Hannahs
22 G Barford
22 G Watkins
21 G Beard
19 F Thomas
13 F Cook
12 F Thompson
7 G Jones
6 F Bailey
2 F Hazen

Five guards are getting double-digit minutes. In my view, the roster of guards is less flexible than the '89-90 team used for comparison. They are not as versatile on the defensive end, and they are not as usable on the wing. Jones, a 6-5 guard, ought to be useful at some point. Arkansas could use a 6-5 player on the wing, for matchup purposes.

Ever since Arkansas hired Anderson, the Razorbacks have had difficulty with guard and wing matchups. This year, already struggled with Florida G Allen and combo F Robinson, Tennessee swingman Hubbs, Kentucky PG Fox, Mississippi State G Weatherspoon.

Will have issues with LSU G Blakeney, Vandy G Fisher-Davis, Oklahoma State G Evans and Forte, F Carroll, South Carolina G Thornwell and F Dozier, Ole Miss G Burnett, Auburn G Heron and Harper, Georgia G Frazier. The taller ones who can shoot from the wing, the quick ones who can break down our defense, they are chronic problems.

Good grief, Watkins is getting more minutes for this team than Huery did for the 89/90 team, and Huery was GOOD.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 13, 2017, 03:58:50 pm
Lots of team pare down minutes once conf play starts but I also think for kids to get better they need to play, and be given a little freedom to make mistakes and learn from them.  Wasn't it Anton Beard finally getting some minutes in SEC play that sparked the back half for the team 2 years ago?  I was actually surprised CJ got the minutes in the last game since it was such a close one.  What I want to see is the hustle and if they make a mistake as long as they are hustling on the next play to make up for it, fine.

Beard's role increased and became solidified after a couple of horrible defensive efforts by the team in Jan in BWA.  Problem was he appeared to hit that "wall" after the regular season ended as he looked physically spent.   

swinesation

I agree with those who think Mike should let Jones play and develop. Would be a big shame to lose him after the season.

porkinsons disease

He does not believe in playing freshmen..he will transfer out and lead his team to the NCAA tournament while we argue if CMA deserves another year after 8 years of futility
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

porkinsons disease

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2017, 04:13:50 pm
Good grief, Watkins is getting more minutes for this team than Huery did for the 89/90 team, and Huery was GOOD.
Coaches son...friend of the family...etc
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 13, 2017, 12:58:57 pm
Sporadic playing time - knows he's being eagle-eyed by the coach - he doesn't have a prayer.
Exactly, from Spain to now this kid has lost any confidence he had, that is on the coach.

hogman99

Letsroll1200

We need some atletchism on the floor. He was shooting the ball well but is gun shy now. The upperclassmen on this team have been a disappointment.

Atlhogfan1

Jones now 12-21 from 3:  57.1%

He would be leading SEC if he had enough attempts and game appearances.
http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/player/three-points/threePointFieldGoalPct

Still think his immediate value could be on the defensive end.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 13, 2017, 03:52:02 pm

HF#1

He is extremely raw right now but I think next season and beyond he will be dynamite.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 16, 2017, 08:42:14 am

http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/player/three-points/threePointFieldGoalPct

I just Basketball Jones...

parallaxpig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 16, 2017, 08:42:14 am

Unfortunately if his playing time doesn't increase I believe he will consider transferring. Mike must be planning on two current roster players to possibly transfer because he is still looking to add 1-2 more to next years recruiting class.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hawg Red

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 16, 2017, 08:47:14 am
Unfortunately if his playing time doesn't increase I believe he will consider transferring. Mike must be planning on two current roster players to possibly transfer because he is still looking to add 1-2 more to next years recruiting class.

Why do you expect him to transfer? Did he come in expecting to play heavy minutes after being committed to Chattanooga?

I'd be careful to try to equate C.J. Jones' mindset with that of players like Nick Babb and Jimmy Whitt, who were both courted by many high-major programs for nearly two years before stepping foot in college. They had a level of expectation that a player like C.J. Jones might not have.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 16, 2017, 08:50:44 am
Why do you expect him to transfer? Did he come in expecting to play heavy minutes after being committed to Chattanooga?

I'd be careful to try to equate C.J. Jones' mindset with that of players like Nick Babb and Jimmy Whitt, who were both courted by many high-major programs for nearly two years before stepping foot in college. They had a level of expectation that a player like C.J. Jones might not have.

Just put it out there as a possibility. The 1-2 loses could be players turning pro.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hawg Red

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 16, 2017, 08:55:43 am
Just put it out there as a possibility. The 1-2 loses could be players turning pro.......

Any player could be a possible transfer. But why do you believe he will consider transferring? He knew what we had on the roster when he signed and I don't think anyone is playing over him that wasn't projected to from the start. He knows we're losing 3 guards after the season.

Razorod

Just two guards after this season, but each one plays major minutes + only one true guard recruited for next season. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel for Jones.

Whitt was a bit of a disappointment, plus Anderson recruited two JUCO's in the class right in front of him. Barford and Macon + Hannahs, Watkins and Beard made for a murkier situation for Whitt.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 16, 2017, 09:03:34 am
Any player could be a possible transfer. But why do you believe he will consider transferring? He knew what we had on the roster when he signed and I don't think anyone is playing over him that wasn't projected to from the start. He knows we're losing 3 guards after the season.

For the same reason as the topic of this thread. He should be playing more than he is. Don't under estimate the workings of a kids mindset these days on what they expect.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 12:38:47 pm
10-19 from 3 on the season
Team is shooting 36%(35% without Jones' 10-19) including 30% on the road- finished last season 39.7% 

6-5 athletic
We struggle to guard big guards and forwards.  The SEC's 2nd leading 3pt shooter, a 6-4 G, just went 6-7 from 3 vs Hogs. 

If we aren't getting enough from other players, why the Anderson pucker again when it comes to playing a freshman?  How far away is he from being ready?  Pretty obvious the right combos haven't been found.

Not saying Jones should take the minutes of these players but just some observations:
Barford is shooting 26% from 3.  2-8 in our 4 SEC games (2 makes in win vs Tenn)  This couldn't have been what was expected of the #1 JC player and a high scorer.  31 assists to 30 turnovers and only 16 steals

Hannahs - 36% from 3 vs 43% last season.  PPG down 2.4 along with his minutes.

Cook -  :-X

The Watkins discussion has been beaten to death already.  I appreciate what he tries to give and what he does do. 

Probably by his senior year, he was able to teach Manny to make a 3 by his senior year!!!
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 16, 2017, 09:16:23 am
For the same reason as the topic of this thread. He should be playing more than he is. Don't under estimate the workings of a kids mindset these days on what they expect.

He should be playing when he won't be a minus player.  No idea if he would be.  Just suggesting the team could be more versatile if he could contribute positive minutes and wondering when that might be.  Right now, we are going with some lower risk, low reward players. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 16, 2017, 09:16:23 am

And I would advise you not to overestimate it. Neither of us know. But I think there is enough common sense and evidence to assert that a highly-recruited 4-star recruit has different expectations than an unranked or 2-star player who was previously committed to an OVC school. I'm sure it's tough for any player to sit on the bench and not play at all, but I would hope he's smart enough to see his path to playing time next season, and that it would be foolish to transfer and sit out a year when he could just bide his time and compete for a spot next year. There really weren't any backcourt spots up for competition this season with 5 upperclassmen in the backcourt. The only real competition was within those 5 players. I'd like to see him out there a little more myself, but I have no idea what his frame of mind is about the situation. Nor will I assume he feels any certain way. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if he did transfer just because we've seen that can happen with just about anyone. But I am hoping he has a more patient mindset to my point at the beginning of my reply.

PonderinHog

I've read comments that he's very enthusiastic on the bench, FWIW.

hogman99

CJ played about 3 minutes with a crappy lineup and then taken out.  Looking at his body language on the bench tells me he ain't coming back next year.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HF#1 on January 16, 2017, 08:44:07 am
He is extremely raw right now but I think next season and beyond he will be dynamite.

This...his time will come.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

We know he can be productive offensively...But this team success rides on DEFENSE, that could be why his minutes are minimal post OOC games...Quit trying to stir the pot.

So question is what do u thank of his defense? While in the game LSU went on a run...and back in the game.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

hogman99

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 21, 2017, 09:27:22 pm
We know he can be productive offensively...But this team success rides on DEFENSE, that could be why his minutes are minimal post OOC games...Quit trying to stir the pot.

So question is what do u thank of his defense? While in the game LSU went on a run...and back in the game.

His defense is just as good as the guys playing in front of him.

HawgnCorona

hogman99

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 21, 2017, 09:37:21 pm
It is? Surely u just make shirt up...

It's not hard to switch on screens and have mismatches. Petty much anyone can do that.

Letsroll1200

HawgnCorona

Then why isnt he doing it? If you want playing time that is what u have to do...Not rocket science.

Not down on him at all, just fans like you looking to witch about nothing...

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

TheSportsGuy

The Hogs defense as a whole is pretty bad when it comes to the little things that make a complete defense.  Blocking out.  Switch on screens....not to even mention whatever things they do to attempt a press.

BUT if you understand basketball and watch Jones tonight, he didn't even have a clue as to where to even position himself coming down the court.  It was pretty horrible.  The hogs have down the basics but lack the finer points.  CJ doesn't even come close to having the basics down...   that was brutally apparent tonight

hogman99

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 21, 2017, 09:45:27 pm
Then why isnt he doing it? If you want playing time that is what u have to do...Not rocket science.

What do you have to do? Play defense? If that's it, no one should play.

Knot2brite

Watching Jones and bailey tonight I can understand why MA holds them out at times. Bailey played some minutes and looked a little lost. Jones didn't play that much and wasn't able to get into the flow but he looked like he was rushing while he was on the floor. They will be major cogs in the machine next year or the year after
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogman99 on January 21, 2017, 09:10:00 pm
CJ played about 3 minutes with a crappy lineup and then taken out.  Looking at his body language on the bench tells me he ain't coming back next year.

Heard the exact opposite

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hogman99 on January 21, 2017, 09:47:24 pm
What do you have to do? Play defense? If that's it, no one should play.

Please stop...You are obviously dont get it...

If he is lucky enough to make that far, do you thing he will a long career in the NBA, not being able to play D?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 21, 2017, 09:48:28 pm
Heard the exact opposite

Yeah, but I heard 99 knows everything.. so you were probably misinformed..

rude1

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on January 21, 2017, 09:47:09 pm
The Hogs defense as a whole is pretty bad when it comes to the little things that make a complete defense.  Blocking out.  Switch on screens....not to even mention whatever things they do to attempt a press.

BUT if you understand basketball and watch Jones tonight, he didn't even have a clue as to where to even position himself coming down the court.  It was pretty horrible.  The hogs have down the basics but lack the finer points.  CJ doesn't even come close to having the basics down...   that was brutally apparent tonight
You saw a lot in those 3 minute he played. It's laughable the party line of CJ is bad on defense and yet I watch a bad LSU team shooting 69% in second half at one point.

hogman99

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 21, 2017, 09:51:01 pm
Please stop...You are obviously dont get it...

Yeah, you are right I don't get it. However, I do know the Hogs gave up 86 points to a really bad LSU team.