Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike needs to find a Patrick Beverley

Started by Atlhogfan1, January 13, 2017, 09:41:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Or a guard similar to some he had at Mizzou. 

6 seasons in and he has yet to find a guard who is a tough defender and can provide offense.  Plus mental and physical toughness.  It didn't take going and getting a 4 star top 50 recruit to find it in Beverley.  He had been a MAC commitment whom we were able to get late.  Amazing how badly MA has failed in guard recruiting.  Beating the bushes for low hanging fruit was one of his strengths. 

I think Mike sees Macon as potentially filling the role.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/13/anderson-rankled-by-hogs-defense-201701/

"I want him to play some defense," Anderson said. "I want him to get better defensively."

What I expect tomorrow is a better defensive effort but one which will receive an overreaction.  Mizzou is a poor shooting team especially from 3.

Mizzou 350th in 3pt shooting %
266th in 2pt %
296th in offensive efficiency

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Could Desi Sills fill that role?

Maybe HOGdayafternoon can chime in.

Pancetta

He needs a true PG with toughness and a touch of nastinest.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Pancetta on January 13, 2017, 10:28:23 am
He needs a true PG with toughness and a touch of nastinest.

Kind of like Corey Beck.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogwood

Embery or Ramey could be that. Barford or Macon will try to be that (could be). Up until getting Macon and Barford, he's really failed at getting physical guards with both facets. Beard is getting there, but he is limited by height. We need a 6'3"+ guy who can do all this.

3kgthog

He wouldn't know what to do with a guy like PBev that plays defense using his hands, trash talk, AND his feet. He'd probably tell him he's doing it wrong.

Großer Kriegschwein

Need a point guard with a thicker body that can actually displace someone when he boxes out. Been missing that for, oh, 20 years or so.

Forget trying to recruit guys that are 6'4 or 6'5 to do that. Need someone that really presses defensively with energy and compact mass, low center of gravity.
This is my non-signature signature.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on January 13, 2017, 10:42:32 am
Embery or Ramey could be that. Barford or Macon will try to be that (could be). Up until getting Macon and Barford, he's really failed at getting physical guards with both facets. Beard is getting there, but he is limited by height. We need a 6'3"+ guy who can do all this.

An issue with Macon and Barford is of course we only get one more season out of them. 

I've never bought into the needing a true PG for Mike's motion offense.  His teams have shared the ball well enough consistently throughout his career.  Combo G's and F's - problem has been we haven't had them in terms of quality/qty.  If we are going to focus on a position, we need a low post aggressive physical banger.  This where a tweener in a player like Harris didn't work for us consistently.  Good athlete but overwhelmed in major conference basketball too often.  Still trying to draw it out of Trey. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

I've never seen a guy like P.Bev since he left. He would often be in the HPER and we would go at it. In good fun of course.  I was 6'4 260 and would dominate in the paint and he would make it a point to guard me every time we played which was about 2-3 times a week during off-season.  That is why he is such a good defender.  He wanted to guard the bigger guys because he knew it would make them better. We need a guy that prides himself in his defense.