Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Name One

Started by biglewhog77, January 12, 2017, 11:28:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

biglewhog77

Name one big time coach that wants to come to Arkansas. Not a up and coming coach but a big time coach

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Nice try....but Coaches tend to keep that close to the chest and let their agents do the work. 😂😂

311Hog

ok then name a coach you think can be convinced to come here. Someone that would satisfy your expectations

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Thing is...my expectations, and many Razorback fans expectations are pretty low considering we would like to go to the dance more than once in 5/6 years. A 2014 Business insider article said Arkansas athletics revenue is the 14th!!!! highest in the land!!! Now don't you think that deserves more than one tourney appearance in 5 years? I have a feeling that MA is also significantly underperforming his salary ranking.

Beaverfever

Quote from: biglewhog77 on January 12, 2017, 11:28:59 pm
Name one big time coach that wants to come to Arkansas. Not a up and coming coach but a big time coach
Why not just a coach who knows how to build a good basketball team?  That's what I want.  We pay quite competitively.  With 2.3 million/year to offer a prospective leader of our program I think Jeff Long should be able to find somebody who is both capable and interested.  If he can't then I guess we'll need to see if we can find someone who can. 

The_Iceman

My expectations were not high for Mike Anderson considering his track record. Just make the tournament consistently. If he doesn't make it this year, that will be one in 6 seasons, worse than Heath and Pelphrey.

1highhog

I wish I could come up with all those old threads 6 years ago when Hogville was almost threatening Jeff Long to hire Mike Anderson as Coach.  What get's me is it's taken this many years to finally see fans take the blinders off and realize that Mike is not who they thought he was, the reincarnation of Nolan.  This was a bad hire from the get got, Mike didn't have a good record coming into this job, but that didn't stop almost all the fans wanting him, and there's still plenty, even on this Board, that support him.  In a mid level Conference in basketball, we've been to one NCAA Tournament in 6 seasons, we're not making it this year.  Mike should have been fired after year 4.  By the way, there were other Coaches interested in this job before we hired Mike, I can't now remember their names, maybe someone else can, I wonder how they are doing now.

The_Iceman

How many coaches in the Top 25 right now were a "big-name" coach when hired at their current job?

Etowah

We already have a big name coach.  Mike Anderson is now starting to kill on the recruiting trail and getting his program established.

He consistently has his teams playing at a high level and with a lot of energy.

Right now we just don't have the talent but we have to be patient and give Mike time to get his players here...they are on the way.

Biggus Piggus

I don't know one. Therefore, Arkansas will never hire a better coach than MA.

That's called logic.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

Quote from: Etowah on January 13, 2017, 06:57:22 am
We already have a big name coach.  Mike Anderson is now starting to kill on the recruiting trail and getting his program established.

Right now we just don't have the talent but we have to be patient and give Mike time to get his players here...they are on the way.

Define killing it, better than most of his classes.... Yes... Top 25% in the awful SEC, NO...
SEC!

LR_Matt

This made me laugh.... no way the poster can be that delusional.

Pork Twain

What is wrong with an up and comer?  It would be hard to find someone that is currently coaching, that would not be an upgrade.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

define big time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hobhog

Quote from: 311Hog on January 13, 2017, 12:39:05 am
ok then name a coach you think can be convinced to come here. Someone that would satisfy your expectations

How did Baylor, Creighton, Oregon, Gonzaga, Butler, and every other successful basketball team in history find that coach? Truly baffling.

The_Iceman

His 2018 class will not finish #1. The 2017 class is #24. This year's class was #29. We are one year removed from having one of the worst recruiting classes in program history, at a time when we needed it most.

Not sure what "killing it" on the recruiting trail means to you.

Atlhogfan1

I'm not participating in specific replacement names or even saying he should be fired as I believe the rollercoaster will head back up.  As I said yesterday, this conference isn't deep enough to completely expose him and the job he has done at Arkansas.  If it does, then there should be no doubt.  Hell, he should quit. 

Here is what I think about the Arkansas basketball job:

It is no worse than the 3rd best job in the conference especially right now.  Mike has solidified some things needed for not just a good foundation but a good start.

I see the Arkansas program as a now sleeping giant similar to how I viewed Clemson football from Hatfield till Dabo.  It's made multiple mistakes in hiring coaches but we have yet to have a normal coaching search from a point of stability since...?  Replacing Eddie?  There were some issues behind the scenes even then. 

Stop the argument of "look who we hired after Nolan:  Heath and Pelphrey."  Those were so [CENSORED] far from normal coaching searches.  Then we of course made the hire which had to be made.  The only glimpse to how the job was viewed somewhat recently was Altman was willing to uproot his crying kids who didn't want to leave, a secure job and a winning program he had built because he saw a great opportunity at Arkansas (before he got a real look of what was happening). 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cardsNhogs

Why does it have to be a big name Coach? The coach we hire can make his name big here at Arkansas! I'm perfectly fine with Up and Coming young Coach. Won't be difficult to upgrade over CMA

cardsNhogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 06:44:41 am
How many coaches in the Top 25 right now were a "big-name" coach when hired at their current job?
This

The_Iceman

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 13, 2017, 09:00:07 am
This

I think the answer is SIX: Kansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, North Carolina, Arizona, and Louisville.

Sivad

Vandyhog4

I'd say that the answer to this really depends on who you consider to be a big time" coach?  Your truly "big time" coaches, Coach K, Pitino, Calipari, Self, Roy Williams, Izzo, Jay Wright, etc. aren't going anywhere.  They are not a realistic expectation.  The Sean Miller, Mark Few, and Gregg Marshall types probably aren't leaving either, unless one of the blue bloods comes calling.     

I'd look at the most recent hires at UCLA, Texas, and Oklahoma State as an indicator of the market.  UCLA was reportedly turned down by Shaka Smart, and they ended up hiring Steve Alford.  Texas obviously ended up hiring Smart.  Would Alford and Smart be considered "big time" coaches?  Sure, they are very recognizable names, but Alford grew stale at Iowa and ended up at New Mexico, while Smart would likely be considered an up and comer. 

I throw in Oklahoma State because I feel like they have a lot in common with Arkansas when it comes to location, history, resources, etc.  OSU parted ways with Travis Ford after he went to 5 tournaments in 8 years, and hired Brad Underwood, an aged up and comer.     

Other big names (Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland, and Rick Barnes types) might come available, but they are usually recently fired or come with some baggage.       

The_Iceman

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on January 13, 2017, 10:41:01 am
I'd say that the answer to this really depends on who you consider to be a big time" coach?  Your truly "big time" coaches, Coach K, Pitino, Calipari, Self, Roy Williams, Izzo, Jay Wright, etc. aren't going anywhere.  They are not a realistic expectation.  The Sean Miller, Mark Few, and Gregg Marshall types probably aren't leaving either, unless one of the blue bloods comes calling.     

I'd look at the most recent hires at UCLA, Texas, and Oklahoma State as an indicator of the market.  UCLA was reportedly turned down by Shaka Smart, and they ended up hiring Steve Alford.  Texas obviously ended up hiring Smart.  Would Alford and Smart be considered "big time" coaches?  Sure, they are very recognizable names, but Alford grew stale at Iowa and ended up at New Mexico, while Smart would likely be considered an up and comer. 

I throw in Oklahoma State because I feel like they have a lot in common with Arkansas when it comes to location, history, resources, etc.  OSU parted ways with Travis Ford after he went to 5 tournaments in 8 years, and hired Brad Underwood, an aged up and comer.     

Other big names (Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland, and Rick Barnes types) might come available, but they are usually recently fired or come with some baggage.       

Some names I wouldn't mind seeing hired if Mike fails to make the tournament:

1) Greg Mcdermott
2) Richard Pitino
3) Chris Mack
4) Chris Holtmann
5) Mike Cronin

Just to name a few, I'm sure there are more. I think we could offer a salary up to $3 Million for the right name. Probably no less than the $2.2 number Mike is making. That could attract some good names, especially with the good state of our program (outside of actually winning games).

daprospecta

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 10:49:45 am
Some names I wouldn't mind seeing hired if Mike fails to make the tournament:

1) Greg Mcdermott
2) Richard Pitino
3) Chris Mack
4) Chris Holtmann
5) Mike Cronin

Just to name a few, I'm sure there are more. I think we could offer a salary up to $3 Million for the right name. Probably no less than the $2.2 number Mike is making. That could attract some good names, especially with the good state of our program (outside of actually winning games).
While Minnesota is playing better this year, Pitino has mostly failed as a coach so far.

tophawg19

come on ? high intensity ? they are playing unorganized street ball half the time . 3 of his 5 years he even failed to make the NIT . Howland was one of the coaches interested .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Iceman

Quote from: daprospecta on January 13, 2017, 10:53:09 am
While Minnesota is playing better this year, Pitino has mostly failed as a coach so far.

After winning the NIT Championship his first season, he has had to rebuild his roster in one of the toughest basketball conferences in the country. He didnt get to rebuild in the cushion of the SEC like Mike.

He now has them in the Top 25 and on track for an NCAA Tournament bid. And he out coached Mike Anderson this year.

Of that short list of 5 I made, he would be near the bottom of my choices tho.

tophawg19

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 08:22:21 am
His 2018 class will not finish #1. The 2017 class is #24. This year's class was #29. We are one year removed from having one of the worst recruiting classes in program history, at a time when we needed it most.

Not sure what "killing it" on the recruiting trail means to you.
he is killing it but CBB is doing a poor job with like numbers ? at least football is making post season 3 out of 4 years and changing staff to improve . we have a double standard for basketball that isn't based on logic. we need change and improvement in every sport not named Track. Baseball hopefully is back on track

tophawg19

i would add coach Steve Wojo... of Marquette and Will Wade to that list . Wojo although young can flat out recruit and has a history of big time basketball. He was also a floor coach for team USA from 2006 to 2012 so players are very familiar with him.

311Hog

Quote from: hobhog on January 13, 2017, 08:18:57 am
How did Baylor, Creighton, Oregon, Gonzaga, Butler, and every other successful basketball team in history find that coach? Truly baffling.

The point is that any coach that isn't a "proven" commodity is basically taking a large risk.  Before MA got this job it was largely accepted that his resume and history with the Hog program was a "safe bet" for some level of success here.  Now fast forward 6 years and there has been some success but alot of things have happened that people didn't expect.  We didnt expect to wiff on the 1 and dones from AR, we didn't expect our APR situation to be so bad, we didn't expect that the rules for hand checking etc. would change so much to make pressing teams be behind the 8 ball with refs.

I am just saying unless you believe Long goes out and drops large $$$ like Bama did for Saban to get a Bill Self or some other coach that you know will "take it to the next level".  You are stuck with picking "anyone but Mike", and then we will be here again calling for that person's head just like we were after Heath, and Pelphrey, and now Mike.

The schools you listed built themselves up with pretty much a single coach that no one know about at the time.  Which is honestly even HARDER to do then landing a Bill Self.

For every Mark Few there are thousands of failures.....

The_Iceman

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 13, 2017, 11:17:14 am
i would add coach Steve Wojo... of Marquette and Will Wade to that list . Wojo although young can flat out recruit and has a history of big time basketball. He was also a floor coach for team USA from 2006 to 2012 so players are very familiar with him.

http://marquette.247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/Commits
http://marquette.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Commits
http://marquette.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

He has had some pretty good classes. 2017 is a drop off tho.

2014–15   Marquette   13–19   4–14   T–9th   
2015–16   Marquette   20–13   8–10   7th   
2016–17   Marquette   11–5   2–2   

Not the best record so far.

Atlhogfan1

Duke fan here (after Hogs of course).  Stay away from the Coach K tree unless Brey ever decides he is leaving ND.  Hoping he or Brad Stevens follows Coach K.  May not be fair to Collins or Wojo.  But I wouldn't get involved in it.

Pitino tree much better. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 311Hog on January 13, 2017, 11:23:17 am
The point is that any coach that isn't a "proven" commodity is basically taking a large risk.  Before MA got this job it was largely accepted that his resume and history with the Hog program was a "safe bet" for some level of success here.  Now fast forward 6 years and there has been some success but alot of things have happened that people didn't expect.  We didnt expect to wiff on the 1 and dones from AR, we didn't expect our APR situation to be so bad, we didn't expect that the rules for hand checking etc. would change so much to make pressing teams be behind the 8 ball with refs.

I am just saying unless you believe Long goes out and drops large $$$ like Bama did for Saban to get a Bill Self or some other coach that you know will "take it to the next level".  You are stuck with picking "anyone but Mike", and then we will be here again calling for that person's head just like we were after Heath, and Pelphrey, and now Mike.

The schools you listed built themselves up with pretty much a single coach that no one know about at the time.  Which is honestly even HARDER to do then landing a Bill Self.

For every Mark Few there are thousands of failures.....

Talk about potential paralyzing line of thinking. 

Handchecking was emphasized in 1995.  Actually led to a call to help us beat UVa to return to F4.  It is more areas which have changed leading to changes in officiating, stoppages of play, how players are being developed from a young age to handle the ball, how coaches are used to teaching attacking pressure.

His recruiting was always a question.  Plus the added JC restrictions in the SEC added to the question of how he would do recruiting.  But given the low competition in the conference relative to others, I do think most of us missed on what he would accomplish.  Never thought in season 6 we wouldn't have seen a team even resembling one of his Mizzou teams in terms of style/defense. 

APR wasn't that dire.  It limited him early on what he could do with roster overhaul.

The only guarantee would be Cal. 

If I am reading your post right, you are putting Mike in a class of coaches just below the group which Bill Self is in.  At 58, 14.5 seasons in with 7 NCAAT appearances, 1 E8 and 1 Sw 16.  His best season 7.5 seasons ago at another program. 

Please stop the mentioning of Pel and Heath.  Those aren't indicative of what our program is.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Good post..for whatever reasons, MA has fallen short of what we reasonably expected based on his prior resume.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2017, 11:42:56 am
Talk about potential paralyzing line of thinking. 

Handchecking was emphasized in 1995.  Actually led to a call to help us beat UVa to return to F4.  It is more areas which have changed leading to changes in officiating, stoppages of play, how players are being developed from a young age to handle the ball, how coaches are used to teaching attacking pressure.

His recruiting was always a question.  Plus the added JC restrictions in the SEC added to the question of how he would do recruiting.  But given the low competition in the conference relative to others, I do think most of us missed on what he would accomplish.  Never thought in season 6 we wouldn't have seen a team even resembling one of his Mizzou teams in terms of style/defense. 

APR wasn't that dire.  It limited him early on what he could do with roster overhaul.

The only guarantee would be Cal. 

If I am reading your post right, you are putting Mike in a class of coaches just below the group which Bill Self is in.  At 58, 14.5 seasons in with 7 NCAAT appearances, 1 E8 and 1 Sw 16.  His best season 7.5 seasons ago at another program. 

Please stop the mentioning of Pel and Heath.  Those aren't indicative of what our program is.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: daprospecta on January 13, 2017, 10:53:09 am

Richard Pitino spent one season at Florida International. FIU was 8-21 under the legend Isiah Thomas. Pitino's team was 18-14, making it to the final of the Sun Belt tourney. That was a great one-year turnaround.

His Minnesota teams have been 25-13, 18-15, 8-23, and now 15-3. G Austin Hollins, top scorer, graduated after the first season. Second season, the Big Ten was nasty tough. Third season, five new starters, and they had a bunch of suspensions and injuries.

I'd say young Pitino needs to be rated over a longer distance before we know how he will turn out.
[CENSORED]!

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 11:03:29 am
After winning the NIT Championship his first season, he has had to rebuild his roster in one of the toughest basketball conferences in the country. He didnt get to rebuild in the cushion of the SEC like Mike.

He now has them in the Top 25 and on track for an NCAA Tournament bid. And he out coached Mike Anderson this year.

Of that short list of 5 I made, he would be near the bottom of my choices tho.

Of your list of up and comers, he would be my top choice.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

elksnort

Wes Swift could do better than CMA right now I believe.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: elksnort on January 13, 2017, 01:11:58 pm
Wes Swift could do better than CMA right now I believe.
Wow I was honestly thinking the same thing the other day.

Pork Twain

I think it would be easier to name coaches that MA could out-coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/