Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall's article today: "Hogs can't afford many losses like Tuesday's"

Started by lutherheggs, January 12, 2017, 09:48:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lutherheggs

I say they now cannot afford any more losses like Tuesday's. From his article are a few good and on point facts:

The scouting report on State showed that they had two good 3 point shooters. Those two went 10 for 12 from 3 point range. Where was the defense on these two based on the knowledge Anderson and his players had from the scouting report? State is not some nationally competitive program (see their losses this year) with the college game's best 3 point shooters. So, this was a total fail on Anderson and his staff both in practices before this game and in game as it was happening.

State out-rebounded the Hogs 41-29. To have this happen at home is beyond unacceptable although I stated in a comment here yesterday that with our short lineup (other than Kingsley), it's a lineup that is not going to match up too well with many of Hogs' opponents. It's a tall man's game after all.

Given how weak the SEC West is this year, and for last several years, to underperform at home is unforgivable when this is year 6 of Anderson's tenure and they are still attempting to establish consistency. If you don't want to fire a coach after 5 or 6 years simply because you don't want to fire coaches that frequently unless you absolutely have to, I guess I get that. On the other hand, if you are not firing a coach because you are expecting permanent improvement in season records, game performance and recruiting, I do not see how anyone thinks they are suddenly going to get something different out of a head coach that they have not gotten in the first 6 seasons under a 58 yr old head coach.

Given how weak the remaining schedule is and how weak the SEC West is (may not be any West team that makes the NCAAT), I do not see how the Hogs can make the NCAAT with more than 5 SEC losses. They already have 3. I think it is a given they will lose at least 3 more SEC games.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 12, 2017, 09:48:16 am

The scouting report on State showed that they had two good 3 point shooters. Those two went 10 for 12 from 3 point range. Where was the defense on these two based on the knowledge Anderson and his players had from the scouting report? State is not some nationally competitive program (see their losses this year) with the college game's best 3 point shooters. So, this was a total fail on Anderson and his staff both in practices before this game and in game as it was happening.

Edit your post.  No divisions in SEC basketball.

This lack of prep for an opponent goes back to what he learned under Nolan and was a big criticism from Mizzou fans when he was there.  The attitude is to force our style onto the opponent.  We practice what we do and the opponent practices for what we do.  That was the theory back when we had the talent and the game allowed for us to impose our will. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 12, 2017, 09:48:16 am
I say they now cannot afford any more losses like Tuesday's. From his article are a few good and on point facts:

State out-rebounded the Hogs 41-29. To have this happen at home is beyond unacceptable although I stated in a comment here yesterday that with our short lineup (other than Kingsley), it's a lineup that is not going to match up too well with many of Hogs' opponents. It's a tall man's game after all.

Given how weak the SEC West is this year, and for last several years, to underperform at home is unforgivable when this is year 6 of Anderson's tenure and they are still attempting to establish consistency. If you don't want to fire a coach after 5 or 6 years simply because you don't want to fire coaches that frequently unless you absolutely have to, I guess I get that. On the other hand, if you are not firing a coach because you are expecting permanent improvement in season records, game performance and recruiting, I do not see how anyone thinks they are suddenly going to get something different out of a head coach that they have not gotten in the first 6 seasons under a 58 yr old head coach.

Given how weak the remaining schedule is and how weak the SEC West is (may not be any West team that makes the NCAAT), I do not see how the Hogs can make the NCAAT with more than 5 SEC losses. They already have 3. I think it is a given they will lose at least 3 more SEC games.

24-6 record (Oklahoma State out of conference) before the SEC tournament will have the Hogs in the NCAA. That's going 11-3 during their last 14 conference games. That's pretty darn good.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:08:53 am
24-6 record (Oklahoma State out of conference) before the SEC tournament will have the Hogs in the NCAA. That's going 11-3 during their last 14 conference games. That's pretty darn good.
Yes, that would be pretty darn good. Except that it is slightly wrong. If they lose 3 more games, they'd be 23-7. Still good but good enough to get NCAAT bid by going 12-6 in SEC games? I doubt it. Besides, how many of us think they will lose ONLY 3 more SEC games? My semi-educated guess is the Hogs lose another 5 or 6 and finish no better than 10-8 in SEC play.

Ironhawg

I hope that this team will come together, find themselves, win their home games and get some upsets on the road.  I'm fine with seeing the season play out, but another NIT won't do it for me.

rickfahr

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:08:53 am

if you think this team is going 11-3 against teams not named sisters of the poor, then you haven't been paying attention

GuvHog

Quote from: rickfahr on January 12, 2017, 04:25:55 pm
if you think this team is going 11-3 against teams not named sisters of the poor, then you haven't been paying attention

If they don't play any better than they played in the second half at UK and against Miss. State Tuesday night, they have a shot at winning maybe 5 more games. They are:

Missouri
LSU
@LSU
Texas A&M
@Texas A&M
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lynbug

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 04:34:25 pm
If they don't play any better than they played in the second half at UK and against Miss. State Tuesday night, they have a shot at winning maybe 5 more games. They are:

Missouri
LSU
@LSU
Texas A&M
@Texas A&M
And from what I've seen in our games and other SEC games, we could easily lose those also.  Just being real. :(

LRHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 04:34:25 pm

Missouri
LSU
@LSU
Texas A&M
@Texas A&M

If that's all we win, then I'd have to think Long starts looking, with a change coming if he can find his guy. Good recruits coming or not, only winning 17 games is completely unacceptable in year 6 wit only one tournament appearance.