Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs are down but they are not done

Started by Letsroll1200, January 12, 2017, 09:19:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

There is a lot of panic that's going on this board. Multiple coaching threads about firing Mike Anderson. I can understand the disappointment or frustration but this season is not lost. First thing that Mike has to do is get a starting line up. This thing about having 7-8 starters need to stop because players have to know their role on the team.

1. Insert Beard into the starting line up. Mike has been boasting about Beard play and how big of a difference he is on the court. If he is that big of a difference and he settles things down he should be starting. Watkins lack of ability to knock down the mid range jumper handicaps the offense. Their are times that Macon drives and kick to Watkins but he doesn't shoot the ball. The only negative with Beard is he can not become a ball hog. He has a tendency to look for his offense too much instead of being the facilitator that can score if need be.

2. Dusty has to get above 40% on the 3 point shot. Dusty is currently shooting the 3 ball at 35%!!

3. Moses Kingsley - Our Moses need to find a burning bush in order to rediscover his calling. Somebody need to light a fire under Moses Kingsley and remind him that outworking, outhustling, rebounding, attitude, and running the floor made him the SEC preseason player of the year. 4 rebounds against sister of the poor is unacceptable when you are 6'10 and the teams primary rebounder. Moses need to get around some fire so he can move towards being a average player in the SEC.

It's a long season and the possibility of winning 11-12 games is still obtainable. It start by finishing the rest of this month .500 in the conference. I actually believe they will win 4 of the next 5 games but I will give Vandy the win on the road. Oklahoma State is a team that can be beat because they are currently 0-4 in Big 12 play. I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas wins the next 5 games of the season.

vs. Missouri  W
@ A&M  W  Lead guard play is not strong. Arkansas weakness is defending teams with quick guards that can get in the lane.
vs. LSU  W
@ Vandy L   This game is really a toss up game. We are sandwiched between Florida and Iowa State on their schedule
@ Oklahoma State L   Guard play concerns me

16-9   4-4

This team will be right there and in position to make the NCAA tournament. Sometimes you can gain after a lost. I think this team will do that. Let the season play out!

Hawg Red

I wouldn't say there is any panic going on. I see a lot of realization and acceptance. That's the opposite of panic.

jst01

Takes some serious guts to come with a post like this right now..bravo.

Hogs win only the Missouri game in the next 5. I saw a look in some of the player's eyes that tells me they don't even believe in what their coaches are saying.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorod

Quote from: jst01 on January 12, 2017, 09:24:02 am

Hogs win only the Missouri game in the next 5. I saw a look in some of the player's eyes that tells me they don't even believe in what their coaches are saying.
I think LSU players have the same look in their eyes as well. We beat Mizzou and LSU for sure in our house. Not sure how many people will be in the stands for those games, but we should win.

Don't know about the road games.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 09:19:07 am
There is a lot of panic that's going on this board. Multiple coaching threads about firing Mike Anderson. I can understand the disappointment or frustration but this season is not lost. First thing that Mike has to do is get a starting line up. This thing about having 7-8 starters need to stop because players have to know their role on the team.

1. Insert Beard into the starting line up. Mike has been boasting about Beard play and how big of a difference he is on the court. If he is that big of a difference and he settles things down he should be starting. Watkins lack of ability to knock down the mid range jumper handicaps the offense. Their are times that Macon drives and kick to Watkins but he doesn't shoot the ball. The only negative with Beard is he can not become a ball hog. He has a tendency to look for his offense too much instead of being the facilitator that can score if need be.

2. Dusty has to get above 40% on the 3 point shot. Dusty is currently shooting the 3 ball at 35%!!

3. Moses Kingsley - Our Moses need to find a burning bush in order to rediscover his calling. Somebody need to light a fire under Moses Kingsley and remind him that outworking, outhustling, rebounding, attitude, and running the floor made him the SEC preseason player of the year. 4 rebounds against sister of the poor is unacceptable when you are 6'10 and the teams primary rebounder. Moses need to get around some fire so he can move towards being a average player in the SEC.

It's a long season and the possibility of winning 11-12 games is still obtainable. It start by finishing the rest of this month .500 in the conference. I actually believe they will win 4 of the next 5 games but I will give Vandy the win on the road. Oklahoma State is a team that can be beat because they are currently 0-4 in Big 12 play. I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas wins the next 5 games of the season.

vs. Missouri  W
@ A&M  W  Lead guard play is not strong. Arkansas weakness is defending teams with quick guards that can get in the lane.
vs. LSU  W
@ Vandy L   This game is really a toss up game. We are sandwiched between Florida and Iowa State on their schedule

16-9   4-4

This team will be right there and in position to make the NCAA tournament. Sometimes you can gain after a lost. I think this team will do that. Let the season play out!

That would make us 15-6 (4-4). Not horrible but we're not getting into the tournament like that. Really need to go 4-1 to not be working their way out from a big hole in the last half of SEC play. And we also now need MSST to be for real and be battling for 3rd/4th in conference, because otherwise that loss is atrocious.

Atlhogfan1

We aren't done because we play in a conference which isn't deep enough to expose us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cardsNhogs

The Razorbacks are done until we get a new coaching staff. This season will be NIT. One of the most veteran teams in the country headed to the freaking NIT in CMA 6th year!

Grumpypenguin

I can't be blindly optimistic like the word "fanatic" implies. Truth is this team sucks. Anderson has been here for a while now and the team still has the exact same problems as they had when he arrived. There's been 0 progression of player talent or skills. Even if they make the tournament we lose in the first round to literally any team. Mike simply can't coach, he needs elite athletes to make that system work and if he doesn't have just naturally good players then it won't work since he doesn't have the coaching skills to actually train them.

Biggus Piggus

Pomeroy currently predicts that Arkansas will finish the regular season 21-10, 9-9 SEC. That is a ticket to the NIT.
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

vs. Missouri  W
vs. LSU  W

16-9   4-4

Outstanding post. it's sickening to read all this crap in almost every thread.just sickening!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogwood on January 12, 2017, 09:32:47 am
That would make us 15-6 (4-4). Not horrible but we're not getting into the tournament like that. Really need to go 4-1 to not be working their way out from a big hole in the last half of SEC play. And we also now need MSST to be for real and be battling for 3rd/4th in conference, because otherwise that loss is atrocious.

You're right about the record. Thanks!!

hogsanity

Trolling trolling trolling, FCJ & Letsroll a trolling - trolling trolling trolling  TROLL GUY
Through win and loss, whatever, hell bent for leather, keeping Mike's name way up high
throw em out, reel em in, throw em out, reel em in, throw em out reel em in TROLL GUY.
throw em out, reel em in, throw em out, reel em in, throw em out reel em in TROLL GUY.
TROLL GUYS!

Tune from Rawhide
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 09:49:24 am
Pomeroy currently predicts that Arkansas will finish the regular season 21-10, 9-9 SEC. That is a ticket to the NIT.

Teamrankings agrees.  20.7-10.3 and 9.4-8.6 
About a 2 game difference from their projections before the MSU loss.

5th just behind a Bama team they have finishing around 17-13 overall as of now.  Awful. 

Kentucky 4 0 16.6 1.4 27.4 3.6

Florida 4 0 14.2 3.8 23.9 7.1

S Carolina 3 0 12.2 5.8 22.2 8.8

Alabama 2 1 9.7 8.3 16.7 13.3

Arkansas 1 3 9.4 8.6 20.7 10.3
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on January 12, 2017, 09:24:02 am

I saw a team that came to play at Tennessee and was very good during the first half of Kentucky. This team will recover!! I know Mike is a quality head coach and is getting the program better. It's tough when your best player don't have any "DOG" in him. Bobby and Mike had some "DOG". They would bark and bite. Moses Kingsley is getting hit in the chest and folding like a lawn chair. He don't even want to play in the post.

Biggus Piggus

16-9   4-4

This team will be right there and in position to make the NCAA tournament.

It would be a record of 15-6 at that point, not 16-9.

Your whole case rests on winning at College Station, where MA's teams have been awful even at Mizzou.

I'd say, though, that Arkansas really needs to beat Vanderbilt on the road, too, and could very much use a win at Stillwater.

The top games on the rest of the schedule are Oklahoma State, at South Carolina and at Florida. Win none of those, and Arkansas's going to the NIT at best.

Losing road games against margins is hardly better than losing home games against them.
[CENSORED]!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2017, 09:56:48 am
Teamrankings agrees.  20.7-10.3 and 9.4-8.6 
About a 2 game difference from their projections before the MSU loss.

5th just behind a Bama team they have finishing around 17-13 overall as of now.  Awful. 

Kentucky 4 0 16.6 1.4 27.4 3.6

Florida 4 0 14.2 3.8 23.9 7.1

S Carolina 3 0 12.2 5.8 22.2 8.8

Alabama 2 1 9.7 8.3 16.7 13.3

Arkansas 1 3 9.4 8.6 20.7 10.3

Keep those projections. The presidential projection had Hillary the next president of the United States. You see how that turned out. I'm feeling very confident that we will finish ahead of Bama.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 09:59:07 am
Keep those projections. The presidential projection had Hillary the next president of the United States. You see how that turned out. I'm feeling very confident that we will finish ahead of Bama.

That's really making a bold prediction. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 09:56:53 am
I saw a team that came to play at Tennessee and was very good during the first half of Kentucky. This team will recover!! I know Mike is a quality head coach and is getting the program better. It's tough when your best player don't have any "DOG" in him. Bobby and Mike had some "DOG". They would bark and bite. Moses Kingsley is getting hit in the chest and folding like a lawn chair. He don't even want to play in the post.

Tennessee took 19 3-point shots and made only five. Some of that was defense, some of it the Vols missing open shots. Mississippi State did not miss the open shots.

The best 3-point shooting teams in the SEC are Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Arkansas and South Carolina. We have four games left against the good-shooting teams. And that doesn't include Florida.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 09:58:27 am
It would be a record of 15-6 at that point, not 16-9.

Your whole case rests on winning at College Station, where MA's teams have been awful even at Mizzou.

I'd say, though, that Arkansas really needs to beat Vanderbilt on the road, too, and could very much use a win at Stillwater.

The top games on the rest of the schedule are Oklahoma State, at South Carolina and at Florida. Win none of those, and Arkansas's going to the NIT at best.

Losing road games against margins is hardly better than losing home games against them.

And Ok St is 0-4 in conference.  TR has them finishing 6-12 in the B12.  Good thing the B12's RPI's get inflated due to the top of the conference having depth and playing each other twice. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 09:59:07 am

Arkansas is projected to go 9-9 largely because of its poor performance in the first four SEC games. Obviously, if the team plays much better the rest of the way, it can do better than 9-9.

That is the point - they gotta get it going right now.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 12, 2017, 09:50:48 am
Outstanding post. it's sickening to read all this crap in almost every thread.just sickening!

FUNNY THOUGH BOTH OF YOU DONT THINK THE COACH IS GREAT BUT YOU AGREE HE SHOULD BE STARTING DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND COACH THOSE PLAYERS DIFFERENTLY... SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING HE IS MAKING MISTAKES TOO!
SEC!

cardsNhogs

What exactly do you see when watching the game that makes you think CMA is a "quality" coach? The way we get killed on the glass because nobody is in a position to rebound or put a body on somebody? How about the fact we stand around on offense with terrible spacing? Is it how we trap that first inbound pass in the press only to see a reversal back to the trailer and numbers for the opposing team in transition which leads to a dunk? Do you like the way Kingsley is matched up on the perimeter with quick guards because we switch every ball screen? Notice Miss St. shooting lights out from three and we go zone because we can't guard anyone man2man even though this is game 16 and that is our primary defense? Do you like how this has been going on all season and nothing ever changes?

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 10:02:58 am
Tennessee took 19 3-point shots and made only five. Some of that was defense, some of it the Vols missing open shots. Mississippi State did not miss the open shots.

The best 3-point shooting teams in the SEC are Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Arkansas and South Carolina. We have four games left against the good-shooting teams. And that doesn't include Florida.

I was counting Vandy as a win until I watched them play Ky this week. Kornet can step out and shoot the 3, and their guards, as usual for Vandy, can drill it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 12, 2017, 10:05:12 am
FUNNY THOUGH BOTH OF YOU DONT THINK THE COACH IS GREAT BUT YOU AGREE HE SHOULD BE STARTING DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND COACH THOSE PLAYERS DIFFERENTLY... SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING HE IS MAKING MISTAKES TOO!

Mike Anderson is not infallible. However, it does not take away from the fact that he is a quality coach. In my opinion he is a very good coach!! 

cardsNhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 10:08:57 am
I was counting Vandy as a win until I watched them play Ky this week. Kornet can step out and shoot the 3, and their guards, as usual for Vandy, can drill it.
Can he make wide open threes though?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:11:03 am
Mike Anderson is not infallible. However, it does not take away from the fact that he is a quality coach. In my opinion he is a very good coach!! 
BINGO!i don't agree with Mike on everything he does. but the man is a good coach.despite the experts on Hogville opinions.

hawginbigd1

I used to believe that but when we suck at the same things in year 6 that we sucked at in year 1, sorry you cant say that and it be true. Does not have the athletes to pressure full-court but does anyway, and gives up 10-20 easy points a game because of it. players can't play man, because they can't switch properly or intelligently. A lot of people are always complaining about the offense, but defense and rebounding is where we lose 90% + of our games. 70 points + is enough to win if you play good defense and rebound.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 10:05:55 am
What exactly do you see when watching the game that makes you think CMA is a "quality" coach? The way we get killed on the glass because nobody is in a position to rebound or put a body on somebody? How about the fact we stand around on offense with terrible spacing? Is it how we trap that first inbound pass in the press only to see a reversal back to the trailer and numbers for the opposing team in transition which leads to a dunk? Do you like the way Kingsley is matched up on the perimeter with quick guards because we switch every ball screen? Notice Miss St. shooting lights out from three and we go zone because we can't guard anyone man2man even though this is game 16 and that is our primary defense? Do you like how this has been going on all season and nothing ever changes?

Rebounding, hustling, and outworking people is about attitude. You have to recruit players with that type of DNA. We have too many good guys on the Razorback basketball team. Talented good guys need to be surrounded by don't give a darn bad guys that will knock your head off. I agree we need to back off the press against fast and quick guards.

Arkansas has gotten better with the switching of ball screens the last 2 games. That's not a issue for me. I'm not for firing a coach that has some talented "DOGS" coming on the hill. Gafford, Garland, and Hall attitude will make a world of difference on this team this season. Those guys will put you in the rim.  The future is looking bright for Razorback basketball. You can't get to the morning but first you have to go through midnight.

I'm focusing on the future of Razorback basketball under the leadership of Mike Anderson. If you fire Mike get ready for a long long long midnight!!! They will regroup this season and be right there to make the NCAA tournament.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:19:24 am

. If you fire Mike get ready for a long long long midnight!!!

yea, cause the last 5 seasons have been so bright

cardsNhogs

Rebounding, hustling, and outworking people is about attitude. You have to recruit players with that type of DNA. We have too many good guys on the Razorback basketball team. Talented good guys need to be surrounded by don't give a darn bad guys that will knock your head off. I agree we need to back off the press against fast and quick guards.

Arkansas has gotten better with the switching of ball screens the last 2 games. That's not a issue for me. I'm not for firing a coach that has some talented "DOGS" coming on the hill. Gafford, Garland, and Hall attitude will make a world of difference on this team this season. Those guys will put you in the rim.  The future is looking bright for Razorback basketball. You can't get to the morning but first you have to go through midnight.

I'm focusing on the future of Razorback basketball under the leadership of Mike Anderson. If you fire Mike get ready for a long long long midnight!!! They will regroup this season and be right there to make the NCAA tournament.
Doesn't matter how hard you work if your never put in positions to succeed and that comes from the coaching staff every day in practice and Prep for each opponent.

cardsNhogs

But yea I knew the only problem was we needed some "don't give a darn bad guys" give me a break it is time for change.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 10:25:49 am
Doesn't matter how hard you work if your never put in positions to succeed and that comes from the coaching staff every day in practice and Prep for each opponent.

You will see a change come Saturday and the rest of the way. Number 33 is not working hard. 6'10 and only 4 rebounds. No way in the world should that happen. That's about want to!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:29:59 am
You will see a change come Saturday and the rest of the way. Number 33 is not working hard. 6'10 and only 4 rebounds. No way in the world should that happen. That's about want to!!!

Mike going to tell him to go rebound, like he did during the mic'd up parts we heard Tuesday night?

cardsNhogs

Saturday really? We play Missouri and I put no stock into that game. They make everyone look good.

You don't think it's the coaches responsibility make players work hard? I was told by a great coach once that the greatest form of motivation is the use of your bench. Kingsley still out there though isn't he?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 10:27:32 am
But yea I knew the only problem was we needed some "don't give a darn bad guys" give me a break it is time for change.

Change is on the way. We have some talented pretty boys but we also got some athletic "DOGS". No disrespect with the "DOG" reference but you have to get some guys that saying I'm going to protect this yard. You not going to just come to my house and push me around. Coach Mike can't put it in them. They got to have some "DOG" in them before they put on the uniform.

Little Lady Back

I still support CMA and the Hogs and am hopeful that we can turn this around and finish out the year strong. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:34:47 am
Change is on the way. We have some talented pretty boys but we also got some athletic "DOGS". No disrespect with the "DOG" reference but you have to get some guys that saying I'm going to protect this yard. You not going to just come to my house and push me around. Coach Mike can't put it in them. They got to have some "DOG" in them before they put on the uniform.

Well, Mike recruited every player on the current roster, so if the team is soft, who's fault is that?

But, as usual, you will blame anyone but Mike.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 09:44:06 am
The Razorbacks are done until we get a new coaching staff. This season will be NIT. One of the most veteran teams in the country headed to the freaking NIT in CMA 6th year!
I wouldnt call us a veteran team. We start 2 juco transfers and a transfer from another school. We have 3 freshman and 1 juco on the bench. That is 7 new players. I'm not sure if we will be NIT or Big dance this year I will just wait to see how we look over the next 8 games.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 12, 2017, 10:33:44 am
Saturday really? We play Missouri and I put no stock into that game. They make everyone look good.

You don't think it's the coaches responsibility make players work hard? I was told by a great coach once that the greatest form of motivation is the use of your bench. Kingsley still out there though isn't he?

Mike Anderson has some "DOG" in him. You can't play under Nolan Richardson and not have some fight in you. He is doing his best to get his personality to translate to these players. Kingsley played with some edge to his game last season. However, Kingsley started reading the press clipping and lost some of that edge. He is no longer playing with that chip on his shoulder.

Ray Lewis said effort is between you and you and nobody else. Hopefully we will rediscover number 33.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2017, 10:50:38 am
Mike Anderson has some "DOG" in him. You can't play under Nolan Richardson and not have some fight in you. He is doing his best to get his personality to translate to these players. Kingsley played with some edge to his game last season. However, Kingsley started reading the press clipping and lost some of that edge. He is no longer playing with that chip on his shoulder.

Ray Lewis said effort is between you and you and nobody else. Hopefully we will rediscover number 33.

How any times are you going to use the word "DOG" today?  The only dog i see is the product Mike puts on the floor.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 10:51:57 am
How any times are you going to use the word "DOG" today?  The only dog i see is the product Mike puts on the floor.

LOL!! I'm serious you got to have it in you.

Atlhogfan1

Here is what Mike has in him:

an ability every season at Arkansas to fail to find the correct player rotations until at least a couple of weeks into conference season

When does he find it this season?  If soon, still enough mediocre to awful opponents to run up his win total again. 

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Beard has been unimpressive. If that's your hope and a prayer....well..good luck with that

hogsanity

Quote from: OperationRestoreHawgBall on January 12, 2017, 11:16:51 am
Beard has been unimpressive. If that's your hope and a prayer....well..good luck with that

yet he is the only thing resembling a real PG that this team has.

jst01

Quote from: OperationRestoreHawgBall on January 12, 2017, 11:16:51 am

yea but he's about to show some "DOG"...I think Mike has instructed all the players to play with more "DOG" and we all know that is what it takes to win

hogfan10

Hard to rebound when you're picking up guards on a switch outside the 3pt line.

porkinsons disease

Maybe Mike's supreme coaching (aka "they punkin you") will do the trick
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

pigture perfect

This program is not done is in the same context as the chicken I'm roasting. There is still blood around the bones, but it is dead and it will be done soon.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bhogs05

Mike is not an x's and o's coach and it shows..we don't make any in game adjustments whatsoever.  We have no real offensive sets other than the "motion" offense.   A good coach can at least draw up a play to get a good open look when we are in need of a basket to stop a run.  Have you ever seen us score on an inbounds play..ever? All we do is just try to get it in bounds, and in the Georgia game 2 years ago at the end of the game we couldn't even get it in bounds b/c Mike just assumed we could throw it in without having any type of inbounds play called.  Have you ever seen us come out of a timeout with a play drawn up that leads to an alley oop dunk like so many other coaches do.  Heck I can't even remember the last time one of our players even dunked the ball..not counting Kingsley's garbage dunk at the end of the game the other night.