Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you name me a coach

Started by jdunhog, January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:30:57 pm
No NCAA this year, I want to see how fast they can get off the campus and how fast we can get a good staff in here to replace them.
And how fast recruits jump ship. and by the way. the 2018 class is number 1 in the country right now. and that means it's 1 in the sec as of the moment.

Slater

This team will win 21 games, likely go to the NIT, probably win a game or two. The haters will hate no matter what, these same people wanted him run out after winning 27 games in 2014-15. MA is the coach until he decides (probably five years) to leave.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

jdunhog

Joe, we got a real positive fan base! When we win you can't find these guys!

WorfHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 08:42:02 pm
And how fast recruits jump ship. and by the way. the 2018 class is number 1 in the country right now. and that means it's 1 in the sec as of the moment.

Lot's of time between now and 2018 signing day and I'd bet you a six pack if Mike's still around it won't be #1 come signing day.

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 08:42:02 pm
Joe you have been around long enough to know that a class two years away ranked no.1 is meaningless. It is ranked that high because most of the good players are still out there and the top programs don't try and sign a roster for two years down the road. By the time it gets here I will be surprised if that class is even top 20.

jdunhog

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:48:53 pm
Joe you have been around long enough to know that a class two years away ranked no.1 is meaningless. It is ranked that high because most of the good players are still out there and the top programs don't try and sign a roster for two years down the road. By the time it gets here I will be surprised if that class is even top 20.
You can only have 13 on scolarship having 4 4 stars already committed you cant do much better than that!

rude1

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 08:50:12 pm
You can only have 13 on scolarship having 4 4 stars already committed you cant do much better than that!
How many times must I remind you that that is TWO YEARS away. Oh by the way, at one time Trey Thompson was rated as a four star..............................

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:48:53 pm
No i do not know that. this will be a top10 to 15 class when all is said and done. and that class can win you an sec and perhaps a NC. we don't need to mess this up.

majp51

Quote from: WorfHog on January 11, 2017, 08:47:06 pm
Lot's of time between now and 2018 signing day and I'd bet you a six pack if Mike's still around it won't be #1 come signing day.

Even FCJ wouldn't take that bet. MSU finished 9th , with 6 four star players, so only picking up 3 or 4 should mean that most likely 2018 will finish somewhere between 15 and 20.

Razorod

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 08:50:12 pm
Two of the four 2018 commitments are not even rated by multiple sites and I doubt all four will be consensus four stars.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

WorfHog

Quote from: majp51 on January 11, 2017, 08:54:20 pm
Even FCJ wouldn't take that bet. MSU finished 9th , with 6 four star players, so only picking up 3 or 4 should mean that most likely 2018 will finish somewhere between 15 and 20.

I was just hoping for some free beer.  ;)

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:51:28 pm
How many times must I remind you that that is TWO YEARS away. Oh by the way, at one time Trey Thompson was rated as a four star..............................
Nope. Trey was a 3 star.  https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/19414
http://www.scout.com/player/170148-trey-thompson
You got it wrong again.

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 08:53:25 pm
No i do not know that. this will be a top10 to 15 class when all is said and done. and that class can win you an sec and perhaps a NC. we don't need to mess this up.
There's one top 50 player in that class. That class isn't likely to finish top 10 or 15 unless we end up signing like 6 players in that class, then the sheer numbers will give it a boost based on quantity not quality.

Razorod

jdunhog

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 08:58:51 pm
He started off as a four star (sophomore year) and went down in the rankings.
Well these 4 are juniors!!

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 08:57:37 pm
Nope. Trey was a 3 star.  https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/19414
http://www.scout.com/player/170148-trey-thompson
You got it wrong again.
No actually Trey was ranked as a 4* as a sophomore I believe, he fell down to 2* status by his senior year. Now was he a consensus 4*, no but some sites did rank him that high at one time.

Razorod

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 09:00:42 pm
Well these 4 are juniors!!
Rickey Scott, Mardracus Wade, Ky Madden and others were also four stars--all had moments, none of them savior types.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 08:58:51 pm
He started off as a four star (sophomore year) and went down in the rankings.
that's not what he said. he said he was a 4 star recruit. and it's not true.

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 09:01:05 pm
No actually Trey was ranked as a 4* as a sophomore I believe, he fell down to 2* status by his senior year. Now was he a consensus 4*, no but some sites did rank him that high at one time.
Nope.Link Please.

Quote from: WorfHog on January 11, 2017, 08:22:40 pm
According to fcj the #Fastest40 is going to get even fasterer next year. Just wait...
2 Fast 2 Forty

Razorod

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:05:52 pm
Nope.Link Please.
Nowadays, ESPN ranks Thompson as the nation's 25th best player in his class and he backed up that ranking by averaging 12.3 points, eight rebounds and 4.7 blocks in three games. Catch some of those shot atlterations here:

http://www.thesportsseer.com/2011/11/30/trey-thompson-bobby-portis-among-hog-recruits-in-recent-forrest-city-talent-palooza/

Now you do understand if he was thought to be top 25, he was definitely 4* right?

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 09:11:30 pm
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/trey-thompson-picks-up-a-fourth-offer/

In 2012, early in his recruiting ESPN ranked him as the number 33 recruit in the nation
Didn't see yours, but the article I pulled they had him as high as 25....Joe will spin this some how, this should be good.....

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:05:15 pm
Joe do you understand what I mean when I say "at one time"? That doesn't mean he ended up that way. But check the links, there are two available for you now, any questions?

majp51

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:05:15 pm

Err he said "Trey Thompson was a 4 star at one time"

IF trey started out as a 4 star as a sophomore, but was a 3 star by his senior season rude' s quote is factually true,

Did they not teach reading comprehension in high school to you Joe?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 09:11:30 pm
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/trey-thompson-picks-up-a-fourth-offer/

In 2012, early in his recruiting ESPN ranked him as the number 33 recruit in the nation
Nope. he was a 2 star by Rivals. and a 3 star by scout. those are the two he was talking about. nice try on your part. but he got it wrong.and we were talking about what he was when hecame out of HS.

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:19:12 pm
Nope. he was a 2 star by Rivals. and a 3 star by scout. those are the two he was talking about. nice try on your part. but he got it wrong.
Unbelievable, it's right there for you to see and yet you stick to your guns, he most certainly was ranked a 4* recruit at one time and he fell over the next two years. This is why you don't take a players ranking two years out as proof of where they are going to end up, could be higher BUT it certainly could be lower.

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 09:21:45 pm
Unbelievable, it's right there for you to see and yet you stick to your guns, he most certainly was ranked a 4* recruit at one time and he fell over the next two years. This is why you don't take a players ranking two years out as proof of where they are going to end up, could be higher BUT it certainly could be lower.
What was he when he came out of HS? that's what i and i thought you were talking about.

rude1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:24:07 pm
What was he when he came out of HS? that's what i and i thought you were talking about.
So you didn't read my post? I clearly said "AT ONE TIME" Trey was ranked a 4*

Razorod

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:19:12 pm
Nope. he was a 2 star by Rivals. and a 3 star by scout. those are the two he was talking about. nice try on your part. but he got it wrong.and we were talking about what he was when hecame out of HS.
Ok. ON Rivals, Desi Sills is a three star: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/182229

On ESPN Sills is unrated: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224872/desi-sills

And unranked on Scout: http://208.73.137.114/yabbse/index.php?topic=616204.0

It's just too early to know too much about the 2018 class. It will be good, no doubt. I'm glad we have these four players, but it is possible that only two, possibly three wind up in the top 100 by their senior year.

majp51

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 09:19:03 pm
Anybody that rated Trey Thompson a 4 star must have been blind!!

not really, he was 6'9" and he had exactly the same game as a senior that he did as a sophomore. Playing like he did as a sophomore leads scouts to think the sky is the limit, not improving over 2 seasons causes those same scout to believe you are nothing special after all.

jdunhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 09:24:07 pm
Joe, he could have been a 2 star when he came out!

jdunhog

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 09:25:52 pm
Ok. ON Rivals, Desi Sills is a three star: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/182229

On ESPN Sills is unrated: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224872/desi-sills

It's just too early to know too much about the 2018 class. It will be good, no doubt. I'm glad we have these four players, but it is possible that only two, possibly three wind up in the top 100 by their senior year.
Some of those updates are from August!

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on January 11, 2017, 09:25:52 pm

Good might be a stretch, unless you are using the Mike Anderson scale. Nationally I think we will see that class is no more special than the 17 class.

PharmacistHog

Make the tournament this year and be happy and keep him. Miss it again, time to close the book on the 90's and the apologize to nolan by bringing mike home experiment. I'm
Fine either way. If the recruits dont wanna stay if Mike's not here, oh well.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

jdunhog

And rivals does have Desi ranked the 140 player which is top 150! that is higher ranked than Mike Qualls was!

rude1

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 09:28:45 pm
Some of those updates are from August!
That's just it, it is hard to get updated information on a class that's two years away. Only one's taking that serious is the one's wanting to use that to prop up a failing coach.

jdunhog

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 09:31:59 pm
That's just it, it is hard to get updated information on a class that's two years away. Only one's taking that serious is the one's wanting to use that to prop up a failing coach.
One thing is for sure we have 2 of the top 60 committed for 2018 n espn recruiting! and in 2017 2 of the top 50!

jdunhog

We are currently number 17 ranked 2017 class!

hog.goblin

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:51:32 pm
It is a problem in football but name me a coach that is hireable that can bring in 8 of 8 4 stars at arkansas!

The next coach we hire

hobhog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 11, 2017, 07:26:38 pm
You cannot have it both ways. Either the players  come because of the coach or the university recruits itself.

What a crock. You would think the next coach will be a deaf mute according to the few MA supporters left. Future recruits are only arguement they have left....like they are pledged to MA and not UA.

WilsonHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 11, 2017, 09:29:46 pm
Make the tournament this year and be happy and keep him. Miss it again, time to close the book on the 90's and the apologize to nolan by bringing mike home experiment. I'm
Fine either way. If the recruits dont wanna stay if Mike's not here, oh well.

Co-sign. Describes my position perfectly.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hobhog on January 11, 2017, 11:43:37 pm
What a crock. You would think the next coach will be a deaf mute according to the few MA supporters left. Future recruits are only arguement they have left....like they are pledged to MA and not UA.

If just a single of Mike's recruits over the next two year did not have strong Arkansas ties, I would agree that we will lose a lot of them. But every single recruit has a strong tie to the state of Arkansas. They are committed more to the program than Mike. I would argue more committed to Fitz and Justice Hill than Mike (2018 class).

tophawg19

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 07:22:53 pm
Joe, We have alot of fair weather fans! I'm a Mike man i just wish he would he would back off the press if it is not working and Have at least 3 scorers in the game at a time!
the only fair weather fans are you and joe . you are mike fans not hog fans . the rest of us want a better team and know MA can't produce that . in 6 years he couldn't turn it around . 6 years and we are hoping for an outside chance to sneak into the dance cause we can't get there on our own strength . this once proud program is in the grave and all MA can do is shovel more dirt
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 08:43:48 pm
Joe, we got a real positive fan base! When we win you can't find these guys!
yeah positive that we have not got a quality coach and positive that we can do better . Like you said , you are a Mike man. The U OF A be darned . For y'all it's all about Mike . A coach who belongs on the UAB level and has brought us down to that level
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 07:15:23 pm
Jaylon Barford.any more questions.

One recruit between 2011 and 2019!?!?

You frickin' kidding me Joe? If you want to throw the pathetic performance of Arlando Cook this year in there as well, I'll let you have that too.

Between 2011 and 2019, Mike Anderson has not successfully recruited one 4-star high school student to come to Arkansas that didn't have close Arkansas ties. How in the hell is that sustainable? Why are you so worried about losing recruits by firing a bad coach.

Of course Fitz Hill is going to say they are committed to Mike. Then Mike's superior replacement is hired and actually gets us on a path to winning again, they will be committed to him.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:33:42 pm
You can't guarantee that!
Just as you cannot guarantee the opposite to be true.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lynbug

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 08:51:28 pm
This should be very enlightening to many fans.  What they do in h.s. doesn't necessarily translate into success at the next level.  I'm just through getting excited a bout recruiting classes.  Over the past 20 years I can remember so much hype over individual players and recruiting classes.  What happened after they became a Hog?  Not much.  A good coach can take any group of players and they will progress throughout the season, not regress. (Howland, others).

EastexHawg

Quote from: jdunhog on January 11, 2017, 02:28:31 pm
that would have 8  4 star players committed to arkansas for the next three years. And we are 12-4 right now! I think new coach talk is a little premature!

We were 11-1 before we started conference play.  That record was obviously built on beating up on a bunch of patsies and an occasional (as in maybe two) decent team.  It's like being 4-0 in football before conference play starts.  Nobody falls for the "we're 11-1!" or even the "we're 12-4!" stuff anymore.  We've all seen this movie a dozen times so we already know the ending.

Pork Twain

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 12, 2017, 09:37:47 am
We were 11-1 before we started conference play.  That record was obviously built on beating up on a bunch of patsies and an occasional (as in maybe two) decent team.  It's like being 4-0 in football before conference play starts.  Nobody falls for the "we're 11-1!" or even the "we're 12-4!" stuff anymore.  We've all seen this movie a dozen times so we already know the ending.
Exactly this.  Until we start scheduling teams like we used to, our non-conference play is meaningless.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/