Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public Service Announcement

Started by WilsonHog, January 11, 2017, 12:30:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 11, 2017, 06:11:01 pm
As I stated on here before, Mike's best seasons are not good enough when they do occur.  Plus they are too far apart.

High floor.
Low ceiling.

He can't hang his hat on such short and infrequent trips to the dance.

This is make or break I believe.
Is this an "informed" opinion?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 11, 2017, 06:15:48 pm
Is this an "informed" opinion?
It's not "uniformed" in the present tense.

hawganatic

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 12:56:54 pm
Football and basketball are two totally different sports.
In basketball you only have 5 players on the court at a time. It's much harder to hide and scheme around your weakness.
In football you have 11 players on the field at a time. It's should be much easier to hide and scheme around your weakness.

This is completely false.  Football you have 11 players that HAVE to work together to make a play work.  It doesn't matter how good your QB and running backs are if you have just one player on the line that can't hold his blocks.  Basketball you can be good if you have one or two playmakers.

It's much easier to build a basketball team up than a football team.

hawganatic

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:54:54 pm
Check their coaching record.anyone with a brain would take Mike over Pel. why do you think Pel has not been hired as a head coach again?your want Mike gone Guv has clouded your thinking.

Pelphrey in four years at Arkansas had one NCAA Tournament appearance.  Mike Anderson after six years at Arkansas has.....one NCAA tournament appearance.  Coaching record doesn't really mean anything if neither could make it to the tournament.

You're correct in that anybody with a brain can see Mike is a better coach than Pel.  That doesn't mean he should continue to be the Arkansas coach...

dagnamit

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:30:06 pm
My bottom line.Basketball under Mike will be fine if we leave Mike alone. let him get that 2018 recruiting class in here. this would be the very worst time to fire him.2 more years.
And we need to give him until 2022 to really judge him since the recruits will be primed by great coaching and seniors by then. National Championship run.

Hog75

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 12:56:54 pm
Football and basketball are two totally different sports.
In basketball you only have 5 players on the court at a time. It's much harder to hide and scheme around your weakness.
In football you have 11 players on the field at a time. It's should be much easier to hide and scheme around your weakness.

To me that is the major difference. As far as recruiting goes I think if you start winning you will gain national attention therefore drawing more of the big name and top notch recruits. I also think style of play is very important when it comes to recruiting. Most players rather on offense or defense in whatever sport it is like to be aggressive and in attack mode.

Can't quite agree with that.  Watched the game last night.  Could swear the refs allowed Miss State more players on the court than us.  It was weird.  They always had one or two guys open and we always were smothered.  Can't think of another explanation.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawganatic on January 11, 2017, 06:35:53 pm
Pelphrey in four years at Arkansas had one NCAA Tournament appearance.  Mike Anderson after six years at Arkansas has.....one NCAA tournament appearance.  Coaching record doesn't really mean anything if neither could make it to the tournament.

You're correct in that anybody with a brain can see Mike is a better coach than Pel.  That doesn't mean he should continue to be the Arkansas coach...
Agian,Pel took over a 2 time NCAA loaded team.Mike took over a total mess. and you are right he is better than Pel. in fact Mike is an outstanding coach in my book.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 06:42:34 pm
Agian,Pel took over a 2 time NCAA loaded team.Mike took over a total mess. and you are right he is better than Pel. in fact Mike is an outstanding coach in my book.
outstanding? Lol wow

EastexHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:51:18 pm
That Miss.state team just won at Lsu by 19 points. they are not a bad team. anybody Four out of five teams you play that actually have pulses can beat you on a given night.

Fixed it for you.

Porked Tongue

in fact Mike is an outstanding coach in my book.
Trolls be trolls but this would not be a widely held opinion among the living.

I will yield the first two years were freebies.  So we can call in 1 in 4 with the current TBD.

Miss St beating us in BWA with the basically the youngest team in the nation illustrates how quickly it's possible to improve in a shorter time frame.

Of course, you got to actually teach them.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 11, 2017, 06:55:18 pm
Trolls be trolls but this would not be a widely held opinion among the living.

I will yield the first two years were freebies.  So we can call in 1 in 4 with the current TBD.

Miss St beating us in BWA with the basically the youngest team in the nation illustrates how quickly it's possible to improve in a shorter time frame.

Of course, you got to actually teach them.
Just calling it like i see it.

code red

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 12:30:22 pm
Let me help your sanity, and perhaps keep some of your stuff from being broken.

If you are waiting for Razorback basketball (or football, for that matter), to be relevant on a national scale, stop. Save yourself. Yours is an exercise in futility and frustration.

Dang.....What do I say????  Some of our leadership is finally coming on board.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Porked Tongue

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 04:19:43 pm
Now who is living in a dream world? Pel was in over his head. he never should have been hired. and have you notice that know one else has hired him as a head coach.

FCJ so Nolan was never offered another head coaching jobs in Men's basketball either...  Just saying....  ant sure MA will be offered another one...
SEC!

dsims2k3

I would go as far to say that there are fans still  upset that Pelphrey didn't get the chance to coach the 2011 class. So they out of the wood works at any sniff of adversity. It's quite sad. We all know that MA is very good coach. He has slowly it the right way. This team is still growing. Nothing has changed. The proverbial wheels have not fallen off.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

rude1

Unfortunately for the first time Joe I can say that your belief isn't rooted in wanting whats best for the program. You have dug in your heels and now it is more important for you to be right about Mike Anderson than it is to have a winning program, even to the point you are now willing to wait 8 to 10 to 20 years so you can say "I told you he was going to get it done".  There is simply no rational reason to believe Mike is going to turn this around if given 20 more years, he is who he is at this point, and that much lauded recruiting class you keep throwing out there while good for him will not be nearly a top rated class two years from now.

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 04:19:43 pm
Now who is living in a dream world? Pel was in over his head. he never should have been hired. and have you notice that know one else has hired him as a head coach.

and you wanted to give him a long term contract.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sivad

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 03:43:26 pm
Mike can go back to Missouri right now if he wanted too.
They (or anybody else) are not about to pay Mike Anderson the ridiculous nostalgia based salary he is getting from us.

HogBreath

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 01:03:30 pm
Only team that beat us like that is Kentucky. Come on man...At least the basketball team is competitive unlike football. And like I said I like Coach Beilema but I call it like I see it.
The football team beat Mississippi State.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

WorfHog

Quote from: HogBreath on January 11, 2017, 08:53:08 pm

Sad on both counts that we're using that as the measuring stick for our programs.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 11, 2017, 02:02:09 pm
Joe this why you no more creditability. Let me quote you, courtesy of Hansam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

You should stop. People are laughing at you.

Making FCJ look like a fool.  It's easy work, but you're good at it.

hamsam

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 11, 2017, 02:02:09 pm
Joe this why you no more creditability. Let me quote you, courtesy of Hansam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

You should stop. People are laughing at you. 

Thank you sir. That's why I have held on to this signature line for so long. It took a while, but I knew he'd be back spewing his lunacy and I didn't want to have to dig for that quote!!

I have said some silly things in my day but how can ANYONE say CBB should be fired after four years but CMA should get 8-10 years to prove himself. Abso-freakin-lutely insane...

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

forrest city joe

Quote from: HogBreath on January 11, 2017, 08:53:08 pm
And lost to Mizzo.see 2 and play that game.Mizzo was 3 and 8,when we lost to them.

Letsroll1200

This is a unstable fan base. All they want to do is fire this guy so they can fire the next go so they can fire the next guy etc.... Let Mike lead this program l. He will get it done. Jeff Long stay strong and trust the process.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 10:17:00 pm
This is a unstable fan base. All they want to do is fire this guy so they can fire the next go so they can fire the next guy etc....Let Mike lead this program l. He will get it done. Jeff Long stay strong and trust the process.
Just who in the hell has been leading the program to no where for the last six years? And he hasn't gotten it done.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2017, 10:21:45 pm
Just who in the hell has been leading the program to no where for the last six years? And he hasn't gotten it done.

Keep watching. Broyles destroyed the program when he fired Nolan. Long will set the program back 20 years if he fired Mike.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 10:17:00 pm
This is a unstable fan base. All they want to do is fire this guy so they can fire the next go so they can fire the next guy etc.... Let Mike lead this program l. He will get it done. Jeff Long stay strong and trust the process.

It's a fan base built on the excellence of Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson, who each did it their own way, and Mike is not in their league. More recruits won't put him there; you either have what those guys had, or you don't.

Remember that one year under Mike when we won 27 games and finished second in the league? That's what I expect - EVERY SEASON (except Sweet Sixteens and Final Fours, too). That's the standard. Our coach can either live up to it or clean out his desk; I'm good either way.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 10:24:07 pm
Keep watching

I hope we make the dance and keep mike and his awesome recruiting classes. If he cant make the dance, its a different story. Talk of needing to fire him right now is ignorant. We need to see how this season plays out.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 10:24:44 pm
It's a fan base built on the excellence of Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson, who each did it their own way, and Mike is not in their league. More recruits won't put him there; you either have what those guys had, or you don't.

My oldest child has no memory of Arkansas ever being a top basketball program. God willing she will be graduating high school this year. The only reason she knows is because she's been to the Bud. We are out of touch. These kids don't know who Nolan Richardson is.

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:30:06 pm
My bottom line.Basketball under Mike will be fine if we leave Mike alone. let him get that 2018 recruiting class in here. this would be the very worst time to fire him.2 more years.
Another moniker could be forrest city jobe, because you are patient

wachhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 12:30:22 pm
Let me help your sanity, and perhaps keep some of your stuff from being broken.

If you are waiting for Razorback basketball (or football, for that matter), to be relevant on a national scale, stop. Save yourself. Yours is an exercise in futility and frustration.

You got that right. We won't  even be relevant on a regional
Scale in either major sport. Not until we get rid of the master of integrity and get somebody who knows something about winning. I guess he's here to stay, though. Nobody else wants him.

wachhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 11, 2017, 12:46:31 pm
What if TerryDon Phillips had been our AD?
The PTB didn't have sense enough to hire him either.

elksnort

Quote from: wachhog on January 11, 2017, 10:37:54 pm
You got that right. We won't  even be relevant on a regional
Scale in either major sport. Not until we get rid of the master of integrity and get somebody who knows something about winning. I guess he's here to stay, though. Nobody else wants him.
It seems that most folks still don't want to admit it, but this post lead you towards what really may be the problem and that's Jeff Long

hobhog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 11, 2017, 07:14:07 pm
I would go as far to say that there are fans still  upset that Pelphrey didn't get the chance to coach the 2011 class. So they out of the wood works at any sniff of adversity. It's quite sad. We all know that MA is very good coach. He has slowly it the right way. This team is still growing. Nothing has changed. The proverbial wheels have not fallen off.

I don't think "everyone knows" MA is a very good coach. I do know you and FCJ THINK he is a very good coach but are in vast minority....

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2017, 01:05:01 pm
BASKETBALL DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.

This is a choice because of who the coach is.
Does football have to be this way?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 01:20:02 pm
many of us remember fcj's rant about how they better get Pel signed long term before KY came to steal him away.
See that's the thing. A lot of people think it's just a forrest city joe loves Mike Anderson thing but it's not. It's a forrest city joe basketball thing. Some of these people on here don't know the history and just don't get it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hamsam on January 11, 2017, 01:23:01 pm
Except in football, right? That stuff only happens in bassetball!!
Let's be honest. Upsets are more likely to happen in basketball than it is in football. In basketball one dominant player can put the whole team on his back and carry them. Example: Kemba Walker during the Big East and NCAA tournament run at UConn.

Pork Twain

I am slowly losing faith that football will ever get there in the SECW, but I have been able to maintain hope in basketball, because fewer recruits are required.  That is slipping seriously.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 08:23:25 am
See that's the thing. A lot of people think it's just a forrest city joe loves Mike Anderson thing but it's not. It's a forrest city joe basketball thing. Some of these people on here don't know the history and just don't get it.

No, its a FCJ does not know basketball from a hole in the ground. But he has definitely treated Mike differently than he did Heath & Pelphrey.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2017, 10:24:07 pm
Keep watching. Broyles destroyed the program when he fired Nolan. Long will set the program back 20 years if he fired Mike.
really? 20 years? Only way this program is set back 20 years is if Mike stays that long.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hobhog on January 11, 2017, 01:27:40 pm
Hogs have been relevant in football plenty of times over last 10 years. National TV games and national interest, with occasional big wins. Packed stadiums. Programs are not even comparable.

Basketball has been and is irrelevant and won't change as long as MA is here. And it can be fixed a lot faster with right hire. If no NCAA this year he is gone. I am to point with Anderson as I was with Ford in football his last year when season was leading nowhere- lose out so we can fire his arse and move on. Short term pain for long term fix. And it sux to feel that way but here I am....
And you think this is because of us. It's because we're playing the other big name team whoever they are. BTW every college football game is on TV now days. Also what occasional big win?

I'm guessing the basketball was in much better shape when we had Heath or Pelphrey?
And how do you feel about Beilema?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 01:41:31 pm
Do you know how many of the Top 30 recruits in the country are committed for 2018? Our class won't finish where you think it will.
Have we ever had four 4 star recruits in one class and all at different positions? That's basically your whole starting lineup.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 11, 2017, 01:54:33 pm
It does not take 5 or 6 years to build a basketball program. Anderson has failed in his coaching, and his recruiting. He has failed. PERIOD.

that clear things up FCJ?
How many years does it take to build a football program? How do you feel about Coach Beilema? Has he failed?

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 08:37:24 am
How many years does it take to build a football program? How do you feel about Coach Beilema? Has he failed?

why are Mike's ardent defenders, all 4 of you, incapable of just talking about the basketball program?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 11, 2017, 02:03:59 pm
Pel had to clean up Heath's APR mess. CMA was far more qualified than Pel, but the results have been similar
Seriously, have you looked at their records at Arkansas? Some of you peoples agenda's are getting in the way of the numbers and facts.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 08:36:03 am
Have we ever had four 4 star recruits in one class and all at different positions? That's basically your whole starting lineup.

Right now we can put Beard, Barford, Macon, Cook, and Kingsley in the lineup together. All 4 stats out of high school.

Doesn't matter when Mike is coaching.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 08:40:45 am
Seriously, have you looked at their records at Arkansas? Some of you peoples agenda's are getting in the way of the numbers and facts.

In NCAA basketball the only thing that matters anymore is did you make the ncaat, and as of now both PEl & MA made it once while HC of the Hogs.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2017, 02:16:32 pm
worst mess in Arkansas history. exaggerate much
Even Rich Shaeffer said on DTS that we had a shortage in scholarships or something like that. And you know he's a human encyclopedia when it comes to Razorback sports.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HF#1 on January 11, 2017, 02:36:08 pm
I haven't expected to be relevant on a national scale for a while now.  Here is what I expect...

1. Win home games
2. Be competitive on the road
3. Make the tournament
4. Show improvement from game to game.
5. Don't make the same mistakes every game (4 & 5 go hand in hand)

Are these expectations too much? Losing to Mississippi State at home is unacceptable. Losing to Mercer last season in LR was unacceptable. The unacceptable losses are piling up. The recruiting losses are piling up as well. Pelphrey might have been a crappy coach, but I bet our chances would have been better at getting Monk, Allen, and others.

Mike was a nostalgic feel good hire. To be completely honest, he should have stayed at Mizzou, he'd probably still be winning.  He wasn't the best man for the job, not by any stretch. Jeff Long took the same approach many on here did, he got who he thought he could get. No effort had to be put into it. Mike was the hire that was easiest for him and easiest to keep the fans/boosters quiet.

Mike isn't a good coach, not for Arkansas. I've always thought anytime you try to recreate history, you fail 10x worse than what history you were trying to recreate. We should have kept moving past 40 minutes of hell or fastest 40.  We should have went for the absolute best coach we could get. Mike wasn't it, obviously.
No chance in hell of getting Monk or Allen.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 03:04:14 pm
No, they really aren't. They have a good coach now but he still has a lot of work to do.
So Missouri has been pretty good since Mike left huh... ???