Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Angry or Apathetic?

Started by bollweevil, January 11, 2017, 11:32:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bollweevil

It's been said an angry fanbase is a good indicator that fans still care and are emotionally invested in the success of the program. Our basketball program's worst enemy isn't anger, it's apathy and I'm afraid that's what I'm seeing, not only in the empty seats at Bud Walton but in some of the comments on this board.  I will admit to falling into the latter category. There was a time when a Razorback basketball game on television was considered "must-see TV." I never missed a game, knew when they were on, and who we were playing. But after 20 years of mediocrity, after 20 years of enduring what I view as fundamentally unsound basketball, I've found that I just don't care anymore. A loss in football still keeps me awake at night. A loss in basketball is just what I've come to expect. Would be curious to know how many others are experiencing what I am.

Hollywood_HOGan45

After last night I just stopped caring.
Year after year after year I get my hopes up only to come crashing down.

I'm done.

revolution

BOTH! Angry last night, apathetic about the rest of the season. I have tried to believe this year, but sleepwalking thru bad nonconference games, then Minnesota, Florida, and now MSU has crushed my hopes that the Hogs are making progress.

I could live with KY, which is itself an indictment on how expectations have not risen in 6 years under Marshmallow Mike.

code red

I turned it off with 2 min left and we were down 8....there is no fight....kids are not even emotional.....they have no pride....I will watch after the Superbowl other than that I really don't care.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Ironhawg

Not angry nor apathetic.  Just sad.

phadedhawg

I had to will myself to watch the game.  It was at 6 pm for me and I just wanted to relax after getting in from work.  I regretted decision.  I was up til 1 am talking to the walls lolol

I'm about over it.  I'd like to see Anderson succeed but don't expect him too.  If he doesn't turn it around and get to the NCAA tourney he needs to resign or be dismissed.  We've got a narrow path now that we dropped that game. 

In a meager defense of Anderson, I think Miss State is much better than their early season record.  They outplayed us in every part of the game.  They were on and we were flat.  I don't think we had the talent to counter what they were doing to us.  Refs were unkind but we would've needed more than a little help to overcome the Bulldogs.  I won't be surprised to see them have the 3rd best RPI when the conference tourney begins. 

I thought we had some talent in the non conference season (I always fall for this trap).  But in the SEC we are a bottom half of the league team.  We don't have the size or talent inside to compete with SEC teams.  We will struggle all season to reach .500 in conference play.   We could reset our W-L record now and I doubt we will go .500 in the remaining SEC games. 

The_Iceman

I am angry that I am now apathetic!

tophawg19

both angry at the level of play and apathetic because i don't believe Long will do anything about it till it's to late. right now there is enough to make a change work. long has lost contact with the athletic side of the job by making bad hires . He is doing well on the financial side but is about to start taking hits there . only then will he change things .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Apathetic because I refuse to allow myself to get emotional about the program.  Otherwise, I would have almost 17 years of anger to let out.  Started typing and deleted as I don't even care to get into it right now.

Didn't watch the game.  Didn't consider watching it.  A poster in the prediction thread was ridiculed for living 8 miles away and debating whether to go.  I wouldn't walk across the street to watch the product we have put on the floor for years.  What Arkansas basketball was which included the home court atmosphere and entertainment value died years ago.  11,000+ empty seats for an SEC game and you have to ask "apathetic"?  Frank yes.  This has been a complete failure.  A much bigger failure than I admittedly thought it would be.  Again though, about to get angry and this program doesn't even deserve my emotional investment. 

You got Anderson back.  Hawg Ball!  Fastest 40!  Go ....  well can't tell those of you who insisted on this and may even continue to support it what I think of you.  Enjoy it.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRHawg

I'll still watch, but won't get too high or too low.

Trystran

In all honesty, how long this continues depends on the fans. We have soooo many people out there with paid for tickets that stopped going to games a long time ago... but that $ is all JL cares about... butts in seats or not... makes no difference. Anderson will be here until that money goes away.

That old Bud Walton environment, regardless of how successful the team is or if we get a new coach, will take a miracle to get back to form. They let things get too uppity and the losing go on for too long. A lot of people might not agree with this, but to get back to the rowdy Bud Walton/Barnhill days, they need to do something with the consistently AWOL season ticket holders. Fix that issue and get a new coach in there that people can rally around, and they'll be on the right track... like that will ever happen.

hogsanity

I am angrthetic. I am apathetic about the current product and angry that anyone thinks it is worth continuing to wait and see if Mike will fix it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2017, 12:07:55 pm
Apathetic because I refuse to allow myself to get emotional about the program.  Otherwise, I would have almost 17 years of anger to let out.  Started typing and deleted as I don't even care to get into it right now.

Didn't watch the game.  Didn't consider watching it.  A poster in the prediction thread was ridiculed for living 8 miles away and debating whether to go.  I wouldn't walk across the street to watch the product we have put on the floor for years.  What Arkansas basketball was which included the home court atmosphere and entertainment value died years ago.  11,000+ empty seats for an SEC game and you have to ask "apathetic"?  Frank yes.  This has been a complete failure.  A much bigger failure than I admittedly thought it would be.  Again though, about to get angry and this program doesn't even deserve my emotional investment. 

You got Anderson back.  Hawg Ball!  Fastest 40!  Go ....  well can't tell those of you who insisted on this and may even continue to support it what I think of you.  Enjoy it.

^^^this. Haven't watched a game in 2 years. I used to set my schedule around all games. I used to have a sick feeling in my stomach when we lost. It would bother me until our next game. The product now has not improved. People are still talking about the same issues that we had since CMA arrived. I still care enough to check scores and read the forums, but I will not subject myself to the frustration and agony of watching us lose the same way game after game. I have no emotional investment anymore. GO HOGS
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 11, 2017, 12:07:55 pm

So don't care and haven't for 17 years huh? Yet you feel butt hurt enough to type out three paragraphs on how program sucks and is compete failure. Posts like this crack me up.

I'm going to go post on the Mew Mexico State board about how they suck but I'm too smart to care.....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on January 11, 2017, 01:19:39 pm
So don't care and haven't for 17 years huh? Yet you feel butt hurt enough to type out three paragraphs on how program sucks and is compete failure. Posts like this crack me up.

I'm going to go post on the Mew Mexico State board about how they suck but I'm too smart to care.....

You need to read the post to which you replied again.

I never said I didn't care.  I refuse to get emotional about the program.  I'm suppressing it if this allows you to understand better since my earlier post somehow confused you. 

My 17 year reference was in relation to the length of discussion about Mike Anderson as head coach of Arkansas.  This started back when Nolan's program had declined and it looked like we may were heading to something happening as in a firing or retirement.  Debate/discussion about if Mike could/should be his successor.  Then the 2000 SECT stopped anything momentarily only to have it obviously pick up again leading to Nolan's meltdown and firing.  17 years of should Mike be our coach to Mike has to be our coach to Mike is our coach and is retiring here to where we are now.  This hasn't been just 5+ seasons.  We've been dealing with Mike Anderson as coach of the Hogs(should be/is) for nearly two decades.  This is where the 17 year reference comes from I made earlier.  Not that I don't care.  I'm keeping a lot suppressed and managing to remain apathetic. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RagingHawgOn

I can't remember being as angry about a performance as I was last night. My anger is primarily directed at MA but I don't like seeing players put out less than 100% effort either. I'm not apathetic, yet, but that will be the next stage for me.

This program has laid turds for 20 years. There is no way in hell you win a NC then fall off the basketball map.

TNhawgfan

I turned off both the UK and MSU games before they were over. Neither loss caused me to lose one minute of sleep. Guess that puts me in the apathetic category
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawgndaaz

I turned the MSU game off in the first half last night. I saw bad fundamentals, no pride, and lack of in game adjustments. That's Mike's M.O.

He isn't very good. The proof is in the numbers.

We got beat by a bunch of freshman, at home. Our veterans didn't play with confidence, nor did they ever look inspired. That's Mike's fault and no one elses.

Better talent will bring a few more wins, that's it. He isn't a champion.

FCJ is partial to him for obvious reasons.

realistichog

Apathetic!! We had a chance to move in the right direction but instead decided to kiss and make up with Nolan, the man I feel is responsible for our decent. I thought MA was a bad hire and that hasn't changed. If we finish 19-12 with a losing record in the SEC and no NCAA berth, which is more than likely, folk that believe MA deserves to stay are fools.

hawg IQ

Quote from: bollweevil on January 11, 2017, 11:32:20 am
It's been said an angry fanbase is a good indicator that fans still care and are emotionally invested in the success of the program. Our basketball program's worst enemy isn't anger, it's apathy and I'm afraid that's what I'm seeing, not only in the empty seats at Bud Walton but in some of the comments on this board.  I will admit to falling into the latter category. There was a time when a Razorback basketball game on television was considered "must-see TV." I never missed a game, knew when they were on, and who we were playing. But after 20 years of mediocrity, after 20 years of enduring what I view as fundamentally unsound basketball, I've found that I just don't care anymore. A loss in football still keeps me awake at night. A loss in basketball is just what I've come to expect. Would be curious to know how many others are experiencing what I am.
I watched about 7 minutes of the last eleven of the game. Here's what I saw, we have no talent to speak, Hanah is a good shooter, Macon is streaky, post play deplorable.
  No defense at all. Miss state would run the clock to about 6 seconds then drive and dish for a score or knock down a uncontested 3 pointer. when they got fouled the hit all of their free throws.

as I watched I decided life is too short to waste emotion on a fruitless endeavor like rooting for the home team. No talent, no coaching, no fans enthusiasm and for good reason. Hog basket ball is done for any foreseeable future.   Wait until baseball starts and go see a relaxing game of a sport that makes more sense than what I saw last evening.
go hogs go !

Kevin

I am angry that our ad fines this acceptable, and will do nothing about it.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

batmanfan

I felt pretty apathetic and less angry leaving the Bud last night. As everyone else left, they just looked like an apathetic beaten up fan base. Wasn't alot of noise, no one really seemed angry, just kind of a blah.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

rickfahr

If the baseball team stinks, I'm done with the whole bunch.

HF#1

Both. Sick and tired of being sick and tired.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Knot2brite

Not angry unless he doesn't make the tourney this year...then angry
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

CPO Hog

Quote from: code red on January 11, 2017, 11:52:47 am
I turned it off with 2 min left and we were down 8....there is no fight....kids are not even emotional.....they have no pride....I will watch after the Superbowl other than that I really don't care.
They know this system doesn't put them in position to win against comparable talent.

Sed76

I watch but don't bat an eye over losses or get excited about wins. Been that way for quite a while now.

Torqued pork

Apathy. I ran out of anger years ago.

hog golf

watched a documentary on PBS last night during the hog-MSU game. made sure to set the remote to SEC Network so I could do the quick back and forth and keep up. watched the documentary about the Titan II silo accident in Damascus AR in 1980. never touched the remote. watched the whole documentary even though I was recording it.

after that show was over, flipped to hog game. took a full 90 seconds for the game to resume and from the commentators and highlights I knew what I was gonna see any moment- hogs losing at home with 2:30 left in game. was not even surprised. put me down as interested but apathetic. I have moved past my anger and that is not a sign of a healthy program.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Bogghawg

Apathetic out of pure self defense.  I am just tired of caring so much when there is no progress and no spirit in the program. Just so tired of being mad. You're right though, anger is a lot healthier than apathy.  I have lived and breathed Razorback basketball since I was 10 years old with the triplets, but apathy is where I'm at.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

cityhog

My very first thought after the game last night was 'Oh Arkansas. You never cease to disappoint. Ever.' Not sure where that places me.

lstewart

Seems to be very few expressing their opinion that are actually going to the games. Of course, there were only 8,000 of us there that fit that status. I would say I fall into the "a little disappointed" category, compared to what I hoped for this year. Losing at home is frustrating, but seeing these other teams seem to have more talent on the court than us is eye opening. From my vantage point in the arena live, I thought Florida and Miss State were both more talented and better prepared teams. I assume we will get it together some and probably get to 20 wins, but I don't expect anything great from this year's team.

flynhog

No defense. No rebounding. No spark.  And no fire from the bench.

I like Mike, but he's just not our guy.

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

rmcchris

Iwastherein1969

quick, let's double team the post at the free throw line so it will leave an MSU shooter a look at a wide open three...double teaming the post is so friggn important...anger then, apathy now
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

LRHawg

Bud sits half-empty most games, but if the wins come back, the excitement will follow, and the attendance will rise. It's depressing to see all the relics from our glory days in the bud, then go watch us get slaughtered by teams we should be beating.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: LRHawg on January 11, 2017, 04:32:04 pm
Bud sits half-empty most games, but if the wins come back, the excitement will follow, and the attendance will rise. It's depressing to see all the relics from our glory days in the bud, then go watch us get slaughtered by teams we should be beating.
the one thing that angers me, however, is the slap in the face by #5 of Kentucky aimed at Sidney, Ron, Marvin, Corliss, Ronnie, Jr....all who could wipe the floor with that spot up shooter from the front porches of Lepanto

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 11, 2017, 01:13:33 pm
^^^this. Haven't watched a game in 2 years. I used to set my schedule around all games. I used to have a sick feeling in my stomach when we lost. It would bother me until our next game. The product now has not improved. People are still talking about the same issues that we had since CMA arrived. I still care enough to check scores and read the forums, but I will not subject myself to the frustration and agony of watching us lose the same way game after game. I have no emotional investment anymore. GO HOGS
Bout there myself.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 11, 2017, 04:43:58 pm
Bout there myself.
sorta like eating 3-day old lukewarm chili from Wendy's at Booneville every meal.....after a while, it becomes blah accompanied by extreme indigestion

forrest city joe

I am very happy with where the program is heading.it's only a matter of time.we don.t need to fire Mike.

PonderinHog

Not angry, I'm concerned, which could lead to apathy with more efforts like last night. 

Breems

Apathetic about this season, not about the program.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Biggus Piggus

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY RECRUITS MIKE ANDERSON HAS LINED UP.

He no longer knows how to put together an effective basketball team. This team should not be terrible on defense. This team should not struggle to find a way to shoot 3-pointers. The coach should not be groping for lineups this late in the season. Something has changed for the worse.

Fans won't support this brand of basketball. They can bring in players, but MA is no longer a master of any style. He is groping in the dark. Can't you see it?
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 11, 2017, 06:24:52 pm
IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY RECRUITS MIKE ANDERSON HAS LINED UP.

He no longer knows how to put together an effective basketball team. This team should not be terrible on defense. This team should not struggle to find a way to shoot 3-pointers. The coach should not be groping for lineups this late in the season. Something has changed for the worse.

Fans won't support this brand of basketball. They can bring in players, but MA is no longer a master of any style. He is groping in the dark. Can't you see it?
No i can not see it. Mike Anderson is a good coach who can still get the job done here. all he needs is a little more time.(2 more years)he does not need to be fired right now.and those recruits do matter. you win with big time players.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: LRHawg on January 11, 2017, 12:08:59 pm
I'll still watch, but won't get too high or too low.
Grasshopper, you have finally learned how to be a Razorback fan and survive.

Biggus Piggus

Anderson better keep this team from falling apart. His loyal fans expect him to lose his top scorer (Hannahs), top rebounder and shotblocker (Kingsley), and top defender (Watkins), add three freshmen (PF Gafford, G Garland, F Hall), and have a vastly improved basketball team.

If that's going to happen, Anderson's going to need much better play out of the nine returning players. Adding three good freshmen might help a lot, but Anderson has struggled to put together more experienced teams.
[CENSORED]!

code red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 06:36:23 pm
No i can not see it. Mike Anderson is a good coach who can still get the job done here. all he needs is a little more time.(2 more years)he does not need to be fired right now.and those recruits do matter. you win with big time players.
Dang....really???  Mike looks freaking tired...esp when he doesn't coach through the entire TO
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TheRazorback500

I get angry at first, but then become apathetic after I realize it does no good and just makes everyone in the household mad at me. We need a change badly.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Sivad

Quote from: realistichog on January 11, 2017, 02:15:30 pm
We had a chance to move in the right direction but instead decided to kiss and make up with Nolan, the man I feel is responsible for our descent. I thought MA was a bad hire and that hasn't changed.
Nolan destroyed the Razorback BB program when he set off a virtual doomsday device with his unsubstantiated claims of racism and his (failed) lawsuit against the UA. We are still trying to dig out from the damage he caused.
Hiring his protege Mike Anderson was one more attempt to extinguish those flames and relive the early good years before Nolan's meltdown.
A valiant effort but it failed. It's time to finally close that chapter and move forward not backward.