Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do You Think Mike Anderson Should Be Fired?

Started by revolution, January 11, 2017, 08:58:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Mike Anderson should be fired?

Yes, immediately!
23 (6.1%)
Yes, at the end of the season.
69 (18.3%)
Only if Arkansas doesn't make the NCAA tournament.
163 (43.1%)
No, he should get a chance to coach his highly rated recruits.  2-3 more years.
106 (28%)
No, Anderson should never be fired. He's done too much for this university.
17 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 377

revolution

I vote he should be fired if he doesn't make the NCAA tournament, and I don't think he will.

Hawg Red

Quote from: revolution on January 11, 2017, 08:58:03 am
I vote he should be fired if he doesn't make the NCAA tournament, and I don't think he will.

Same here.

revolution

Reasonable so far. I'm pretty upset about last night as most fans are, but people still want this to work. It's just that precious few beiieve MA can get it done.

The_Iceman

Fired if he doesn't make the tournament, which I believe is a long shot now.

Big Boi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 09:10:25 am
Same. Said it at the end of last year. Tournament or bust for CMA.

DOGALUM

I voted immediately. 

I don't believe that Mike can build a consistently successful program here. 
Why keep him any longer?   If the team stumbles into the NCAAs, it just buys him more time.  I thought about voting for firing at the end of the season because we likely couldn't find a quality coach right now, but I think that the AD needs to send a message to the fan base and doing it now would do just that.  I'd be fine with end of the season.....but would prefer immediately. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Ironhawg

Same.  But I don't think Long has the stones.  Plus he is looking at a rapidly sinking ship on the women's side.  I think Long will continue to let MA produce mediocre results until BWA is completely empty and the program is good and dead.

DOGALUM

how much time does lucking into the tourney buy him?  This far in, we shouldn't confuse making the tourney with building a program. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

pigmailyen

Quote from: revolution on January 11, 2017, 09:07:12 am
Reasonable so far. I'm pretty upset about last night as most fans are, but people still want this to work. It's just that precious few beiieve MA can get it done.

What evidence do we have that he can get it done?  These are his players, his system. I don't expect a natty every other year, but come on.

HogFansReunited

If we don't make the NCAA Tournament this year, Mike needs to go.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

sadhogfan

My response is a bit more nuanced: if we don't make the tournament, I wouldn't immediately call for his firing, but I wouldn't be opposed to it either.

I am pretty ambivalent at this point. I could see me feeling okay about things with a tournament appearance or even a deep NIT run, but our team is not where I thought it would be at this point.

We have a lot of nice pieces, but Macon and Barford have looked more like talented JUCO players than NBA prospects*, and rather than improving their production with more talent around them, Kingsley and Hannahs seem to have regressed somewhat.

*By this I mean they look like typical JUCO players, but just better than average. They struggle with consistency, they have holes in their games, etc. I expect a leap forward next year, but they are nowhere near being NBA ready, which before they got here, some people were claiming.

bvillepig

To early in the year to say fire him. 

One thing for sure. No one is having fun. The players, coaches, fans all are in a crazy funk. The team has 0 emotion and the fans maybe even less.  It seems as if everyone is tired and ready to get this over with and move on.
  I am hoping Mike can push the right buttons and get some fight in him.  He should have got T 'd up in the Kentucky game. I am willing see how it plays out this year because it does no good to call for someone to be fired mid way in a season..

Hollywood_HOGan45

I was jacked to the moon when we hired him but I'm over it.
It pains me to say we should start over yet again. It just hasn't worked out here.
He had a mess to clean up but no worse than Heath and he had us in the NCAA in years 4 and 5.

pigture perfect

I think Beilema should help him find another job, so as to not look like a firing.

But I did vote, if he doesn't make the tourney.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

code red

Apathy has set in at this point.  Should he be fired?  IDK.  But, it he doesn't make the tournament...in year 6....is a recruiting class really gonna save him?  I say if he doesn't make the tournament....heat is going to ratcheted up on Jeff Long.  Football is underachieving and basketball is also.  Changes will be made if losing occurs in our major 2 men's sports.  Either Jeff...or coaches.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawg Red

Quote from: DOGALUM on January 11, 2017, 09:14:36 am
I voted immediately. 

I don't believe that Mike can build a consistently successful program here. 
Why keep him any longer?   If the team stumbles into the NCAAs, it just buys him more time.  I thought about voting for firing at the end of the season because we likely couldn't find a quality coach right now, but I think that the AD needs to send a message to the fan base and doing it now would do just that.  I'd be fine with end of the season.....but would prefer immediately.

I agree with your points that even if we somehow sneak into the tournament, it just buys him more time. But there is still a part of me inside that wants it to work with Anderson, so if he can get to the tournament, that is enough for me.....for now.

code red

Would Scottie Thurman make a good interim coach?  IDK.....seems he has some unique coaching abilities.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

lutherheggs

Basketball is not underachieving. What is expectation there? I bet the AD and others around it do not expect this year's team to go to the NCAAT. I mean, they are a hodgepodge of players and other than Kingsley, the average height of the other 4 starters is about 6'3". Unless it's Sidney Moncrief or David Thompson out there, that height isn't going to win much. It's basketball and it calls for tall, athletic humans.

As for what Arkansas basketball is, it has basically been a dumpster fire since 1999 or 2000. Even in Richardson's last 2 or 3 years, it was miserable relative to what we were used to for previous 25 years. Heath was hired because he took Kent St to Elite 8 in his first year as a head coach. Heath has done little else in the past 16 years of his coaching career. Those were not his recruits.

What has Anderson done in his coaching career? 7 NCAAT's in 14 years as head coach. I think it is easier to make the NCAAT at UAB than as head coach of a SEC program. In 4 years at UAB, he went to the NCAAT 3 times. In 5 years at Mizzou, he took that team to the NCAAT the last 3 years. In 5 complete seasons at Arkansas, he took them to the NCAAT in year 4 then followed that by coming within 1 loss of having the first losing season of his 14 years as head coach. He has had 3 conference winning records in 5 seasons and 2 of those were 10-8. He is 57 years old. If he were going to reach heights similar to what Sutton or Richardson touched, he would have already done it somewhere along his 15 yrs as a head coach.

If all he can accomplish is one NCAAT in 6 years at Arkansas, I do not know why the AD would not thank him for trying and take a chance on the next head coach doing a better job.

RacinRazorback

We are not making the tourney unless we change something, quickly! We need to punk him, he gottta go!

revolution

Currently about 85-90% of those voting feel Anderson should be fired if he doesn't at least make the NCAA tournament. A few of those want him gone no matter this season's results.

phadedhawg

Mr. Porkleone

CMA would lose fight with that bear. He's WEAK. 

FIRE AT END OF SEASON. 

forrest city joe

Not only NO,but hell no.Mike Anderson should not be fired.

Marshfieldhog

Mr. Porkleone

Is this the bear CMA talks about when he said he'd whip that bear. CMA is WEAK

bhogs05

He should be fired if we do not make the NCAA tourney..making the NIT won't cut it.  He's had 6 years to get it done and it's not working.  Doesn't matter about the recruiting classes..everyone raved about how these awesome jucos were going to be great and so far they haven't been.  I said last year we wouldn't make the tourney this year with these jucos and unless this team gets incredibly hot they will miss out again.  Mike is a roll the ball out there and freestyle coach with zero x's and o's ability. Our press is a joke and he needs to stop it, but he won't.  All it does is give the other team layups and wide open 3s..thats why everyone shoots lights out when they play us.  You give a capable shooter a wide open 3 they are going to knock it down more times than not.    Mike loves recruiting athletes..but most of our athletes can't shoot worth a darn.

Soooie21

I just wish he could get players that can play around the basket...

Dr. Starcs

WilsonHog

With the exception of one season, the highlight of Mike's tenure has been the press conference when he was hired.

tophawg19

no the coaching just sucks and all those players are his recruits . so what you've got is his best after 6 years . he belongs in a weak league where he can get a talent advantage to make up for poor coaching intensity
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

forrest city joe

Is this a joke? all these threads wanting Mike fired. fire him even if we lose every recruit.are you people kidding me?you need to get behind our players,and our coach.and stop with these BS threads.

tophawg19

89% want him gone at least by the tournament if he fails to qualify . the other 11% must be FCJ voting over and over

HotlantaHog

I voted no, at least one more year -- of course that wasn't the choice, so chose at least two or three more years.

I think the Hogs WILL make the NCAA tournament this year. If they don't and are a bubble team, I don't see that as appreciably different than making it as a bubble team.

It comes down to risk management. Mike's history, including successful stints at Mizzou and UAB and his upcoming recruiting, gives me confidence that he will get it done ... And I think if he were fired, there is there is a greater likelihood we will end up with someone less than Mike than better than Mike.

Given the balance of risks, it seems like an easy call to keep Mike.

These polls always bring emotional responses. If the Hogs just had a great victory, there is lots of optimism. If they just lost a game they should have won, everyone is on board to fire the coach. Hog fans are more volatile than the stock market.

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 12:22:52 pm
With the exception of one season, the highlight of Mike's tenure has been the press conference when he was hired.
What the highlight of coach B tenure?Mike needs 2 more years to fix the mess he walked into.yet all im reading is fire Mike Anderson. it's sad.

tophawg19

not much chance of getting worse . that recruiting class is because the wings are giving us some great kids

Ironhawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:28:15 pm
What the highlight of coach B tenure?Mike needs 2 more years to fix the mess he walked into.yet all im reading is fire Mike Anderson. it's sad.

So it will take Mike 8 years to get the program turned around?

bhogs05

How many years do you think it takes to turn around a basketball team? 10? Alot of people are wanting Beilema gone as well and he had just a big of a mess if not bigger when you have to have 85 players instead of 12-15.  If Beilema goes 7-5 again next year he'll be gone as well. 

Mr. Porkleone

2 more years. He's in year 6. This is not football where you need 85 players, CMA NEEDS TO RECRUIT 5-6 kids a year. Please. He's had 6 years. He's WEAK. Getting out coached constantly. Time to rid all things attached to Nolan

forrest city joe

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 12:25:49 pm
89% want him gone at least by the tournament if he fails to qualify . the other 11% must be FCJ voting over and over
The old saying is true. if you listen to fans,you will be sitting with them.the Polls said Hillary was going to win. she lost. so don't put all your stock in polls.

Jeffcphog

I am 75 years old.  I now doubt that I will ever see the Hogs relevant again.  I am at the point of just watching the games as a disinterested party.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 11, 2017, 12:08:06 pm
CMA would lose fight with that bear. He's WEAK. 

FIRE AT END OF SEASON. 
Would you tell Mike to his face he's weak? i think not.

lutherheggs

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2017, 12:22:52 pm
At that nice press conference in BWA, with JFB sitting a row in front of me, Anderson said his teams would pick up opponents on defense when they stepped off the bus. There was cheering, clapping, a positive charge in the air. Seemed like old times were just around the corner. Oh well.

GuvHog

January 11, 2017, 12:59:48 pm #42 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:17:48 pm by GuvHog

That's BS Joe. Every recruit that Mike inherited has been gone for 2 years now and every player on the team is HIS recruit so the current mess isn't one that Mike inherited, it's one that he made himself.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Knot2brite

Go to the NCAA tournament THIS year or go away...it is simple...six years is enough...football coach is in the same boat...it doesn't take a decade to rebuild...this is MA's year to shine or go...it is in his hands
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 12:59:48 pm
That's BS Joe. Every recruit that Mike inherited has been gone for 2 years now and every player on the team is HIS recruit so the current mess isn't one that Nike inherited, it's one that he made himself.
Jeff Long disagrees.he said he does not even count Mike's first 2 or 3 years.Mike took over a mess on and off the court. you are wrong.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 11, 2017, 01:06:15 pm
Go to the NCAA tournament THIS year or go away...it is simple...six years is enough...football coach is in the same boat...it doesn't take a decade to rebuild...this is MA's year to shine or go...it is in his hands
So get him out just when he is about to get some outstanding players in here? that is not very smart.and it will backfire.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:55:32 pm
Would you tell Mike to his face he's weak? i think not.

Shouted all night last night with the other 8000 or so fans. He could care less. He's stealing 2.25 million a year plus other perks.  He could care less. He's weak. Get used to it.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 11, 2017, 01:06:15 pm
I disagree. 2 more years no matter what.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 11, 2017, 01:09:32 pm
Shouted all night last night with the other 8000 or so fans. He could care less. He's stealing 2.25 million a year plus other perks.  He could care less. He's weak. Get used to it.
So Mike now does not care if Arkansas wins or not? give me a break. some of you have lost it.

lstewart

I don't think we will make the NCAA tourney this year, but I assume we will get it going somewhat, win 20 or 21 games regular season, and probably get in the NIT. Assuming this happens, and all the recruits are still committed, I don't think we will make a coaching change. If the wheels fall off and the team really tanks, say only winning 17 or 18 games with no post season, he might be gone.  Not sure things are ever going to really get rolling in the next few years, but not likely anything is going to change if we win 4 or 5 more games than we did last year.