Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List of Coaching Candidates

Started by The_Iceman, January 11, 2017, 07:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on January 11, 2017, 11:46:33 am
That history of VCU coaches is quite concerning.  Wade is originally from Nashville, so, naturally, his name was thrown out there as a replacement for Stallings.  Add in the fact that we was an assistant under Amaker at Harvard, and he at least looked relatively good on paper for Vandy.  I would have the same reservations about him now as I did 9 months ago, mainly that he's still young and unproven.  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If I'm looking to the A-10, I call Archie Miller first because he has a bigger body of work.  But, would he be willing to listen?

He is making over $1 million annually. Hard to believe he turned down the Florida job, if that report is true. Can't believe Arkansas would be attractive to him. Maybe the timing is right?

26.2Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 10:19:52 am
If we hired Beard, he would be a head coach at 4 schools in the course of a year. (A-State, UNLV, Tech, and Ark)

That would have to be a record.  He probably has United Van Lines on retainer.

GuvHog

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 11, 2017, 09:34:23 am
The huge money in college athletics has dramatically improved the coaching talent pool during the last 30-40 years.  Men who may have considered other professions are sticking around athletic departments hoping to cash in on the money and fame that comes with these jobs.

Paying a coach huge money does not guarantee results.  There are so many other variables that affect success - the idea that Arkansas can buy its way into championships is laughable.

Of course, with the improved talent comes tougher competition.  But suffice it to say, there are precious few jobs available and Arkansas's basketball program is set up to be a position in demand.

There are a number of coaches worthy of a shot at Arkansas, and we don't have to offer ridiculous money to a guy.  Pay him $1.5M, eliminate unreasonable expectations, and let him know that if he is successful Arkansas he has room to grow.  (NOTE:  These pay rules would not apply if Hoiberg or a similar proven hire became available.)

Forget that. If Mike gets let go at season's end, they should offer Richard Pitino $2.5 Million a year with incintives and get him here ASAP. IMO he would definitely be a home run hire.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogtied85

The only program with up and coming coaches is the fact they are unproven in the big league. Its a different world when you come to the big conference. You have to recruit the and then develop their further. Its hard to have a win basketball team when you have a team full of projects. Get some studs first and then develop the others.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 10:45:55 am
Does the history of VCU coaches concern you at all?

Shaka Smart
Anthony Grant
Jeff Capel

Not a lot of success out of there. Will Wade could be different tho.

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on January 11, 2017, 11:46:33 am
That history of VCU coaches is quite concerning.  Wade is originally from Nashville, so, naturally, his name was thrown out there as a replacement for Stallings.  Add in the fact that we was an assistant under Amaker at Harvard, and he at least looked relatively good on paper for Vandy.  I would have the same reservations about him now as I did 9 months ago, mainly that he's still young and unproven.  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If I'm looking to the A-10, I call Archie Miller first because he has a bigger body of work.  But, would he be willing to listen?

I don't happen to subscribe to the notion that there is something inherently wrong with coaches that come from VCU. Some coaches just don't pan out after they make a move up. What happened with Jeff Capel has nothing to do with Anthony Grant or anyone else that has coached there since. Plug in any VCU name. Doesn't matter. They're all individuals. Also, I'm not concerned at all with Shaka Smart. That team has no PG. Isaiah Taylor foolishly went pro after last season and didn't get drafted. He would make a tremendous, tremendous difference for that team. I think that caught Smart off guard. Tough to replace a loss like that in the late period. With Taylor back, they'd be improving on what they did last season.

(Jeff Capel went to an Elite 8, BTW.)

Mr. Porkleone

We've won a National Championship. Still considered one of the top programs, even during this coaching disaster.  We don't need up and comer. Let's go after big names and move from there.  We got $$ to spend. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 12:03:02 pm
Forget that. If Mike gets let go at season's end, they should offer Richard Pitino $2.5 Million a year with incintives and get him here ASAP. IMO he would definitely be a home run hire.

I think of all the up and coming coaches, he would be my top choice. He has the name, he can recruit players from outside his state, he understands today's game, and I think he is a very good coach.

He seems to have the "it" factor, IMO.

https://youtu.be/2zb9mo5TKDg

Hogsolo

Here's a really good coach flying under the radar. 

He has a solid brand of basketball. 

http://broncosports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/leon_rice_843534.html

Dwight_K_Shrute

How about a version of K-F-M game.

Except I will call it Make a Run at, Grand Slam, OK.  Now let's define each

Make a Run at:  This is a coach with a very high win %, but low % of getting but still a chance.  Would rule out say a Cal, Coach K, Roy Williams because come on be at least slightly realistic.  I'll name an example in my picks.  Grand Slam:  Low to reasonable chance to get him, but a known name, proven track record, and would make the conference take notice.  OK:  This is where I would put the up and comers, body of work may be light, but have been winning a good clip in the lower levels ie Mid Majors.  I'd put Mike White at Florida in this category as an example. 

Here are mine

Make a Run at: Greg Marshall - you may want to say no chance but here me out.  He is the white whale the Chris Petersen of Basketball coaches.  Every year CP's name was tossed around for different jobs, every year he stayed at Boise until he didn't.  Went to a school in regional proximity.  Marshall may still want to leave WSU, just for the right job at the right time.  What better place than Arkansas.  Talent on hand to win first year, and talent coming in to keep it going.  All you have to do is hold the classes together and Marshall is a name that could do it, but I still say the chance of getting him is very low so putting him as Make a Run at.

Home Run: The aforementioned Hoiberg.  I'm putting him as the Home Run and not the Make a Run at because I think the chances of getting him are higher than GM.  Just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the NBA.  Resume speaks for itself and was able to win 20+ games per year in the meat grinder of the Big 12.  Decent NCAA tourney success but would still be hungry for the next level.

OK:  Haven't given this one much thought and but I'll go with Will Wade. Strikes me as very Mike White like.  has followed 3 other successful head coaches, and yes they have been so so when stepping up, but you could say that about the Boise coaches before Petersen.  Although he is young has coached at 2 different schools.  Did something none of his predecessors did at VCU, win the A-10 regular season title.  UT-Chat was 24-40 the two years before he arrived, and 40-25 in his two years there.  He was also 27-7 in conference compared to 14-22 the two years prior. 

Last comment is that I hope Mike and the players get it figured out because I want more than anything for both to be successful.  Last night just crushed my hopes.  Might be a fluke game but have to be prepared if it's not. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 10:51:11 am
Am I missing something? Has Coach Anderson been fired yet?
I was about to ask the same question. this is just sickening to read. these folks already have Mike fired. what a joke.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:17:24 pm
I was about to ask the same question. this is just sickening to read. these folks already have Mike fired. what a joke.

This thread was created because of people like you who saying firing Mike Anderson would backfire and that we can't get anyone better.

But you keep posting harder. There are a lot of poster "hong-gry" for Mike to be fired. If you get embarrassed by another poster again, just rebound harder. If you do what you do, then they won't be able to do what they do. No need to scout the other Hogville posters. Some may even be left handed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 11, 2017, 12:16:17 pm
How about a version of K-F-M game.

Except I will call it Make a Run at, Grand Slam, OK.  Now let's define each

Make a Run at:  This is a coach with a very high win %, but low % of getting but still a chance.  Would rule out say a Cal, Coach K, Roy Williams because come on be at least slightly realistic.  I'll name an example in my picks.  Grand Slam:  Low to reasonable chance to get him, but a known name, proven track record, and would make the conference take notice.  OK:  This is where I would put the up and comers, body of work may be light, but have been winning a good clip in the lower levels ie Mid Majors.  I'd put Mike White at Florida in this category as an example. 

Here are mine

Make a Run at: Greg Marshall - you may want to say no chance but here me out.  He is the white whale the Chris Petersen of Basketball coaches.  Every year CP's name was tossed around for different jobs, every year he stayed at Boise until he didn't.  Went to a school in regional proximity.  Marshall may still want to leave WSU, just for the right job at the right time.  What better place than Arkansas.  Talent on hand to win first year, and talent coming in to keep it going.  All you have to do is hold the classes together and Marshall is a name that could do it, but I still say the chance of getting him is very low so putting him as Make a Run at.

Home Run: The aforementioned Hoiberg.  I'm putting him as the Home Run and not the Make a Run at because I think the chances of getting him are higher than GM.  Just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the NBA.  Resume speaks for itself and was able to win 20+ games per year in the meat grinder of the Big 12.  Decent NCAA tourney success but would still be hungry for the next level.

OK:  Haven't given this one much thought and but I'll go with Will Wade. Strikes me as very Mike White like.  has followed 3 other successful head coaches, and yes they have been so so when stepping up, but you could say that about the Boise coaches before Petersen.  Although he is young has coached at 2 different schools.  Did something none of his predecessors did at VCU, win the A-10 regular season title.  UT-Chat was 24-40 the two years before he arrived, and 40-25 in his two years there.  He was also 27-7 in conference compared to 14-22 the two years prior. 

Last comment is that I hope Mike and the players get it figured out because I want more than anything for both to be successful.  Last night just crushed my hopes.  Might be a fluke game but have to be prepared if it's not.

Great idea and examples.

ifghog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:17:24 pm
If he doesn't make the tourney in year 6 then FCJ he should be and I am a CMA guy!

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 12:24:15 pm
This thread was created because of people like you who saying firing Mike Anderson would backfire and that we can't get anyone better.

But you keep posting harder. There are a lot of poster "hong-gry" for Mike to be fired. If you get embarrassed by another poster again, just rebound harder. If you do what you do, then they won't be able to do what they do. No need to scout the other Hogville posters. Some may even be left handed.
Firing Mike now will backfire. it will get worse.top coaches will not be beating down the door to come to Arkansas.and those recruits won't come either. you folks may get your wish.but it will turn out just like football did.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 11:40:28 am
Weren't their bad losses when Weatherspoon was out?
Not sure but Weatherspoon is silky smooth.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 12:33:15 pm
Not sure but Weatherspoon is silky smooth.

Mike said he was not really impressed with him, I kid you not, he actually said it. And no I do not have a link. It was being talked about on one of the morning radio shows.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2017, 12:34:42 pm
Mike said he was not really impressed with him, I kid you not, he actually said it. And no I do not have a link. It was being talked about on one of the morning radio shows.
So he's not impressed.if he's not impressed,he is not impressed.Mike has that right.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:37:39 pm
So he's not impressed.if he's not impressed,he is not impressed.Mike has that right.

Bruh....

GuvHog

That sounds about right for Mike. Not being impressed by a guy who just embarrassed the beejeezes out of the Hog basketball team. Real smart on Mike's part.   ::) ::)

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 12:50:07 pm
That sounds about right for Mike. Not being impressed by a guy who just embarrassed the beejeezes out of the Hog basketball team. Real smart on Mike's part.   ::) ::)
He has a right not to be Impressed.maybe he just not Mike's kind of player. i can understand that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:54:03 pm
He has a right not to be Impressed.maybe he just not Mike's kind of player. i can understand that.

Why would he not be anyone's kind of player? He's having a pretty good year, and remember, this is a kid that was set to sit the year out with a wrist injury but decided to play through it. Kid was 8/11 from the field and 6/7 from 3 last night. Everyone should be impressed. Cut the crap.

Youngsta71701

I was impressed. The only thing I didn't see was much of a driving game. Maybe if you take away his 3 point shot he can be limited... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogman99

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 11, 2017, 12:04:21 pm
The only program with up and coming coaches is the fact they are unproven in the big league. Its a different world when you come to the big conference. You have to recruit the and then develop their further. Its hard to have a win basketball team when you have a team full of projects. Get some studs first and then develop the others.

You do understand the SEC is not really a big league in basketball.  Take a look at the current Top 25 and see how many teams aren't in a "Big League"

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 09:04:57 am
Feel free to add your own names.

Don't really have any. CMA had a better resume than any of the guys on this list.

Bust proof is hard but look at Howland and Barnes. You know those guys will come in and change the program for the better. I wish there was a proven coach like that out there for us who could just come in here and get us back to relevancy fast. Then when he's done we go out and make that top-of-line up-and-comer hire.

LR_Matt

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 11, 2017, 12:06:40 pm
Still considered one of the top programs

No, we're not.... I wish we were but that ship sailed a long time ago. Let it go and let's get a young fireball who can shake things up.

hamARchy in the USA

There may have been some excellent coaches available last time.  We don't know.  We just know that Long didn't hire one.  Shortly after MA was hired Clay Henry posted that Ben Howland had expressed interest in the job.  He didn't go into detail, maybe because he didn't know the details.  But that's enough info to understand that the Arkansas job was attractive to a proven winner.  Prior to that Broyles had Altman hired before John White messed that up.   The Arkansas job is a good job.  The one making the hiring decisions has proven to be the biggest weakness since Broyles was pushed aside.

My view is that candidates should have years of experience as a head coach (Sutton and Richardson worked their way up from the high school level through junior college and then to major college) with a track record of championships.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:32:23 pm
Firing Mike now will backfire. it will get worse.top coaches will not be beating down the door to come to Arkansas.and those recruits won't come either. you folks may get your wish.but it will turn out just like football did.

The difference is Petrino was fired for his coaching. Mike Anderson is doing everything right off the court and with academics. He just isn't a good coach.

We got out coached by Richard Pitino earlier this year. Mike White, who most on here would have screamed bloody murder if we would have hired him, out coached Mike. Howland, who many said was boring and overrated, coached circles around Mike last night.

Mike isn't the best we can do. Far from it. He served his purpose these 6 years. Time to move on.

Big Boi

Thad Matta will be looking around soon.

hogman99

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:32:23 pm

"those recruits" will still be coached bad habits by CMA. Did you watch the game last night and see and hear "miked up" with CMA? Others have posted about what CMA said during those segments. However, the part that really concerns me was the total lack of respect the players showed during those exchanges. Not listening, looking into the crowd and sad expressions.  Guess what, you will see and hear the same thing with "those recruits" when they arrive. These recruits may win a few more games, but the Hogs will still be on the outside looking in.

Big Boi

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 11, 2017, 01:10:17 pm
There may have been some excellent coaches available last time.  We don't know.  We just know that Long didn't hire one.  Shortly after MA was hired Clay Henry posted that Ben Howland had expressed interest in the job.  He didn't go into detail, maybe because he didn't know the details.  But that's enough info to understand that the Arkansas job was attractive to a proven winner.  Prior to that Broyles had Altman hired before John White messed that up.   The Arkansas job is a good job.  The one making the hiring decisions has proven to be the biggest weakness since Broyles was pushed aside.

My view is that candidates should have years of experience as a head coach (Sutton and Richardson worked their way up from the high school level through junior college and then to major college) with a track record of championships.
I doubt many will admit but at the time 97% loved the hire. Can't really blame Long, he got the coach most wanted, it just did't pan out.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 12:58:10 pm
Why would he not be anyone's kind of player? He's having a pretty good year, and remember, this is a kid that was set to sit the year out with a wrist injury but decided to play through it. Kid was 8/11 from the field and 6/7 from 3 last night. Everyone should be impressed. Cut the crap.
Nope. no matter what he did in that game,Mike and anyone else have a right to be not impressed.i was not impressed either. one game does not make a player.

wildturkey8

I will give FCJ this much, he stakes his position knowing it won't be popular but he sticks to it. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:17:53 pm
Nope. no matter what he did in that game,Mike and anyone else have a right to be not impressed.i was not impressed either. one game does not make a player.

You were impressed until Mike Anderson told you not to be impressed.

Season: 18.2 pts, 5.0 rebs, 2.2 asts, 1.9 stls, 46% 3pt.

vs. Arkansas: 25 pts, 6 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 86% 3pt.

If you aren't impressed with Weatherspoon, then you are basketball ignorant. He is an All-SEC player. Maybe you weren't impressed because you felt Mike Anderson is such a terrible coach that he didn't face any defensive pressure?

Trystran

Zags HC is only making around $1.3 mil, but he seems like he might be there for the long haul.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 01:17:02 pm
I doubt many will admit but at the time 97% loved the hire. Can't really blame Long, he got the coach most wanted, it just did't pan out.

I understand that that is the common perception around here.  It clearly was never true.  Most fans did not want MA as the lack of attendance has proven from the beginning.

Regardless, Long's job #1 is to hire excellent coaches for the athletic programs he oversees.  He shouldn't be polling fans for their favorite choices.  If he can't identify coaching talent, which he clearly has a problem doing, then he needs to be replaced himself.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 01:23:20 pm
You were impressed until Mike Anderson told you not to be impressed.

Season: 18.2 pts, 5.0 rebs, 2.2 asts, 1.9 stls, 46% 3pt.

vs. Arkansas: 25 pts, 6 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 86% 3pt.

If you aren't impressed with Weatherspoon, then you are basketball ignorant. He is an All-SEC player. Maybe you weren't impressed because you felt Mike Anderson is such a terrible coach that he didn't face any defensive pressure?

Despite his numbers,i am not impressed him him as a player. i have a right not to be impressed.sorry but im not.

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:39:02 pm
Despite his numbers,i am not impressed him him as a player. i have a right not to be impressed.sorry but im not.

Trolling trolling trolling, FCJ's a trolling - trolling trolling trolling  TROLL GUY
Through win and loss, whatever, hell bent for leather, keeping Mike's name way up high
throw em out, reel em in, throw em out, reel em in, throw em out reel em in TROLL GUY.
TROLL GUY!
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Trystran

"We're gonna start guarding them when they get off the bus!" ... ... ... so much nope.

The_Iceman

You have the right to your opinion, that is true. But you opinion is 100% ludicrous.

Hawg Red

You keep saying that but have yet to provide any insight into why he did not impress you. You'd be very impressed if a Hog player was doing what he is, wouldn't you? He'd be our best player without question.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 01:17:02 pm

The 97% figure is too high. 85% is about right. There were a lot of us who did not like the hire and it's looking like we were right. There were better coaches that were there for the taking but were never given the time of day.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 01:45:04 pm
You keep saying that but have yet to provide any insight into why he did not impress you. You'd be very impressed if a Hog player was doing what he is, wouldn't you? He'd be our best player without question.

guys with sound fundamentals do not impress Mike or his cult followers.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 01:43:17 pm
You have the right to your opinion, that is true. But you opinion is 100% ludicrous.
May be ludicrous,but it's my opinion.and Mike has a right to his opinion.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:46:58 pm
May be ludicrous,but it's my opinion.and Mike has a right to his opinion.

Now that you've admitted you lack credibility....

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 01:17:53 pm

Lots of people not impressed with MA. Lots. It's their right too.

Chris Beard would be interesting. And he never coached a game at UNLV did he?

Big Boi

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 11, 2017, 01:35:52 pm
I understand that that is the common perception around here.  It clearly was never true.  Most fans did not want MA as the lack of attendance has proven from the beginning.

Regardless, Long's job #1 is to hire excellent coaches for the athletic programs he oversees.  He shouldn't be polling fans for their favorite choices.  If he can't identify coaching talent, which he clearly has a problem doing, then he needs to be replaced himself.
The majority of the people wanting CMA as coach in 2011 has little to do with attendance. It is next to impossible for a large portion of state/fan base to even imagine attending a game. Sure you and your buddies didn't like the hire. Basically everyone I encountered with that week was ecstatic. So yes I think Long gave the majority what we wanted in 2011. You can't convince me over 50% hawg fans were upset with the hire. 

Big Boi

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 01:45:25 pm
The 97% figure is too high. 85% is about right. There were a lot of us who did not like the hire and it's looking like we were right. There were better coaches that were there for the taking but were never given the time of day.
Lets call in 90%

GuvHog

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: GuvHog on January 11, 2017, 01:59:43 pm
Nope, 85% and that's pushing it,

Probably more like 1%.  It's such a sparse population that they need the internet to locate each other.

realistichog

There's a great junior high coach at my grandson's school that we could get cheap and it would definitely be a step up.