Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List of Coaching Candidates

Started by The_Iceman, January 11, 2017, 07:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

We have one last shot to get it right. Mike Anderson got us out of the hole we were in after Heath and Pelphrey off the court, but he has reached his plateau and it is time to move on. I believe the budget will be between $2.5 and $3.0 million.

I've heard people say it will backfire and ask who it out there. Well, I'm compiling a list. I know Archie Miller and Greg Marshall are names on everyone's list. But I am trying to find names that are more realistic. There is also the possibility that timing works out great for us in terms of an NBA firing (Fred Hoiberg), but that isn't as likely. Feel free to add/comment.

Brad Underwood - Oklahoma State
- Current Record: 10-5 (year one)
- Current Salary $1.3 million
- Resume:

• 89-14 record at SFA
  • 53-1 conference record
  • Conference Regular and Tournament Champion 3 straight years
  • Three NCAA Appearances with two 2nd round appearances

Richard Pitino - Minnesota
- Current Record: 15-2 (T-1 in Big 10)
- Current Salary: $1.6 million
- Resume:

• 2014 NIT Champions
  • Rebuilt the Minnesota program
  • Recruited 4-stars from Arkansas, Minnesota, New York, and Maryland
  • Only 34 years old

Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa
- Current Record: 5-10
- Current Salary: $450,000
- Resume:

• 223-118 record at Northern Iowa
  • 114-66 conference record
  • One Sweet 16
  • Two 2nd round appearances
  • One 1st round appearance

Randy Bennett - Saint Mary's
- Current Record: 14-1
- Current Salary: $400,000 (?)
- Resume:

• 3x WCC Coach of the Year
  • 3x WCC Champions
  • One Sweet 16
  • 319-149 career record

The_Iceman

RacinRazorback

I was hoping for Buzz Williams when we hired Mike!

hog.goblin

Junkyard Hog

jdlittle

who would hire new coach   ad long has proven he cant hire right people-  basketball women bb and football   did good with track        would like to see ad replaced

The_Iceman

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 11, 2017, 07:50:53 am
I was hoping for Buzz Williams when we hired Mike!

Making $2.6 million with a contract that will top $3.3 million when he is done. Not getting Buzz.

Big Boi

Hoiberg could be Longs basketball version of Petrino. Pro coach that wants out and we have the spot. Lots of unhappy people in Bulls organization. I wouldn't be near as comfortable with Pitino since his resume is so short (Pel & Heath). At this point Greg Marshall is at a better program. So I don't see that happening.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jdlittle on January 11, 2017, 08:11:28 am
who would hire new coach   ad long has proven he cant hire right people-  basketball women bb and football   did good with track        would like to see ad replaced

Jeff Long can hire a good resume, but he does not have good discernment regarding fit and projection of the coach at Arkansas.

Petrino was a great hire, but when you hire Petrino you hire all that comes with a person like him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 08:16:01 am
Hoiberg could be Longs basketball version of Petrino. Pro coach that wants out and we have the spot. Lots of unhappy people in Bulls organization. I wouldn't be near as comfortable with Pitino since his resume is so short (Pel & Heath). At this point Greg Marshall is at a better program. So I don't see that happening.

Petrino fell into Longs lap. Maybe the same could happen for Hoiberg. That would be a home run hire.

Big Boi

Quote from: jdlittle on January 11, 2017, 08:11:28 am
Ads either retire or take another job. The rare instance one gets fired its over a scandal within the department that was handled improperly. I can hardly think of an AD that was fired because fans were unhappy with his/her hires. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 07:17:05 am
We have one last shot to get it right. Mike Anderson got us out of the hole we were in after Heath and Pelphrey off the court, but he has reached his plateau and it is time to move on. I believe the budget will be between $2.5 and $3.0 million.

I've heard people say it will backfire and ask who it out there. Well, I'm compiling a list. I know Archie Miller and Greg Marshall are names on everyone's list. But I am trying to find names that are more realistic. There is also the possibility that timing works out great for us in terms of an NBA firing (Fred Hoiberg), but that isn't as likely. Feel free to add/comment.

Brad Underwood - Oklahoma State
- Current Record: 10-5 (year one)
- Current Salary $1.3 million
- Resume:

• 89-14 record at SFA
  • 53-1 conference record
  • Conference Regular and Tournament Champion 3 straight years
  • Three NCAA Appearances with two 2nd round appearances

Richard Pitino - Minnesota
- Current Record: 15-2 (T-1 in Big 10)
- Current Salary: $1.6 million
- Resume:

• 2014 NIT Champions
  • Rebuilt the Minnesota program
  • Recruited 4-stars from Arkansas, Minnesota, New York, and Maryland
  • Only 34 years old

Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa
- Current Record: 5-10
- Current Salary: $450,000
- Resume:

• 223-118 record at Northern Iowa
  • 114-66 conference record
  • One Sweet 16
  • Two 2nd round appearances
  • One 1st round appearance

Randy Bennett - Saint Mary's
- Current Record: 14-1
- Current Salary: $400,000 (?)
- Resume:

• 3x WCC Coach of the Year
  • 3x WCC Champions
  • One Sweet 16
  • 319-149 career record

Fire Bielema!

The_Iceman

I was surprised at Brad Underwood's salary. He would be a good hire if we could get him away.

tophawg19

Wojo , or McCall both sound interesting . not really expecting any changes though . This team will get around 20 wins and there is always next year and those fantastic classes FCJ always preaches about , that may never happen
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

cardsNhogs

texashog33

I would love Fred Hoiberg. Offensive mastermind and fundamental savant. Also, I would love Greg Mcdermott from Creighton-
I'm not sure on his contract numbers

Big Boi

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 08:34:41 am
I was surprised at Brad Underwood's salary. He would be a good hire if we could get him away.
Not sure if that would be a logical move for a coach that has been at the school for only a year. It would be hard to imagine outside of a raise that we have anything to offer him. OK st is probably as good a job, with similar resources.

The_Iceman

Quote from: texashog33 on January 11, 2017, 08:51:11 am
I would love Fred Hoiberg. Offensive mastermind and fundamental savant. Also, I would love Greg Mcdermott from Creighton-
I'm not sure on his contract numbers

$1.4 million. Could double that here.

Good coach. Wouldn't mind that hire.

Hawg Red

I can't think of a reason why Underwood would leave OkSU after a year to come here. And, honestly, I can't think of a reason in general why he would leave that job for this one.

Someone like Randy Bennett is not going to come to Arkansas. He's exclusively a West Coast guy. If he takes a major conference job, it will be in the Pac-12.

I'd love to have Pitino. I've said that before and gotten railed for it. I believe in him. He did pretty well with the group he inherited from Tubby and then had to start the rebuild after they left. The rebuild doesn't always start right away and I think people mistook that for him not getting it done after the first season. But, again, why does he leave Minnesota (better conference) to come here? I'm not all that familiar with Minnesota's program or resources. This doesn't seem like a big enough job anymore to get him to leave something he just started building. He could technically get that program to its first Final 4 (1997 Final 4 was vacated), so he could build that program in his image.

Jacobson is a good coach. But he seems more of a Midwest guy. Probably waiting for the right Big 10/12 job to open up.

I'm really not trying to just come in here and poke holes in every name mentioned. But those are my thoughts. I really have no clue at the moment would have be a good contender if we were looking for a new coach. It seems the recent MO for many SEC programs is to hire a big-ish name coach looking for a fresh start with a couple of young up-and-comers sprinkled in (and then Mizzou being just clueless). Are we even sure Long would make the right/a good hire? I'm not. I kind of think it would be good to go get a coach from the D-League (they can't be making much money). You could sell recruits on intimate knowledge of pro development and NBA connections. Just spit-balling here. And there will be spit-balling needed with a potential hire because this is no longer a job that is going to demand a big name coach (not saying we can't get one).

But, really, I don't see Long pulling the trigger. I've said before that after the season would be the best time because of the recruiting stockpile on-hand. I get the sense that Mike has earned a bigger debt of gratitude after cleaning up the state of the program. I think Long will give him another year to get back in the Dance. As for me, I'm lost right now. I like Mike and wanted it to work. I've been critical of him often and also defended him often. I guess I'm just kind of shocked in a depressed way right now. I think what little faith I was holding on it here in Year 6 is gone. I think it's possible State is just turning a corner, but there RPI was much closer to 200 than it was 100 (if I'm not mistaken). But you can see they have talent and you know they have a great coach. How can we make up for it? It feels like you just have hope and pray that we get things done in spite of certain things like coaching. To go another year like that.....it'll be tough for me. I'm starting to feel like I did Pelphrey's last year. I don't get anger or fed up during times like this. I get sad and down. It's rare that a loss by the Hogs gets me in my feelings the next day, but that has happened here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 08:54:03 am
Not sure if that would be a logical move for a coach that has been at the school for only a year. It would be hard to imagine outside of a raise that we have anything to offer him. OK st is probably as good a job, with similar resources.

The future uncertainty of the Big 12 could play a role. Doubling your salary is always enticing. The roster and 2017 and 2018 classes are attractive as well.

hogwood

I think this list sucks and are not better options. All unproven and could be busts here. Pitino is interesting as he is performing well in a P5 conference. But they were also absolutely horrible last year. I would definitely not say that he hascompletely rebuilt Minnesota.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 08:59:05 am
I can't think of a reason why Underwood would leave OkSU after a year to come here. And, honestly, I can't think of a reason in general why he would leave that job for this one.

Someone like Randy Bennett is not going to come to Arkansas. He's exclusively a West Coast guy. If he takes a major conference job, it will be in the Pac-12.

I'd love to have Pitino. I've said that before and gotten railed for it. I believe in him. He did pretty well with the group he inherited from Tubby and then had to start the rebuild after they left. The rebuild doesn't always start right away and I think people mistook that for him not getting it done after the first season. But, again, why does he leave Minnesota (better conference) to come here? I'm not all that familiar with Minnesota's program or resources. This doesn't seem like a big enough job anymore to get him to leave something he just started building. He could technically get that program to its first Final 4 (1997 Final 4 was vacated), so he could build that program in his image.

Jacobson is a good coach. But he seems more of a Midwest guy. Probably waiting for the right Big 10/12 job to open up.

I'm really not trying to just come in here and poke holes in every name mentioned. But those are my thoughts. I really have no clue at the moment would have be a good contender if we were looking for a new coach. It seems the recent MO for many SEC programs is to hire a big-ish name coach looking for a fresh start with a couple of young up-and-comers sprinkled in (and then Mizzou being just clueless). Are we even sure Long would make the right/a good hire? I'm not. I kind of think it would be good to go get a coach from the D-League (they can't be making much money). You could sell recruits on intimate knowledge of pro development and NBA connections. Just spit-balling here. And there will be spit-balling needed with a potential hire because this is no longer a job that is going to demand a big name coach (not saying we can't get one).

But, really, I don't see Long pulling the trigger. I've said before that after the season would be the best time because of the recruiting stockpile on-hand. I get the sense that Mike has earned a bigger debt of gratitude after cleaning up the state of the program. I think Long will give him another year to get back in the Dance. As for me, I'm lost right now. I like Mike and wanted it to work. I've been critical of him often and also defended him often. I guess I'm just kind of shocked in a depressed way right now. I think what little faith I was holding on it here in Year 6 is gone. I think it's possible State is just turning a corner, but there RPI was much closer to 200 than it was 100 (if I'm not mistaken). But you can see they have talent and you know they have a great coach. How can we make up for it? It feels like you just have hope and pray that we get things done in spite of certain things like coaching. To go another year like that.....it'll be tough for me. I'm starting to feel like I did Pelphrey's last year. I don't get anger or fed up during times like this. I get sad and down. It's rare that a loss by the Hogs gets me in my feelings the next day, but that has happened here.

Thanks for your input. I've added some thoughts on why Brad would leave. Agree with you on Ben Jacobson, just trying to try some names out there.

I think Pitino would be very interested in the Arkansas job. Minnesota isn't going to have sustainable success in the Big 10, IMO. Arkansas has a lot of the pieces in place, it just needs a leader that can take them over the top. Not sure if he is that guy, but he has  a lot of potential as a coach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on January 11, 2017, 09:00:19 am
I think this list sucks and are not better options. All unproven and could be busts here. Pitino is interesting as he is performing well in a P5 conference. But they were also absolutely horrible last year. I would definitely not say that he hascompletely rebuilt Minnesota.

Feel free to add your own names.

hogsrule44

lol when has anyone hired someone and it could not be a bust?

NoogaHog

Living in the Chattanooga area, I think that both of the Chattanooga coaches would be good gets. McCall and Wade. They are both young with good records and well respected.

Heck, while we are at it. Bring in Jim Foster to coach the women. He is 45-2 in conference in 3+ years and has made 3 straight NCAA's.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hawg Red

I would say that whoever we hire will likely not be a bust-proof candidate. Not many programs can make a hire like that, but not many tried-and-true head coaches move jobs anymore.

tophawg19

you aren't alone . Apathy has set in for most fans . it's like oh well we lost another one . But if long isn't careful , this will start hurting recruiting .Even FCJ can't keep spinning this crap .We just don't have a team. just a bunch of individual players doing whatever they want

tophawg19

Wojo just sticks out to me . He has been at a high level , high profile school for a number of years . he has been doing well on his own and is well known . recruiting for him should be good . now the question is does his style somewhat fit our players and can he bring in a good group of assistants ? who ever we hire will have to adapt to our players abilities for a couple years

HawgTrough

Chris Beard just picked up another huge win for his 13-3 Red Raiders.
WPS

Big Boi

The unknown is a better option than the reality.

ArkansasI

The huge money in college athletics has dramatically improved the coaching talent pool during the last 30-40 years.  Men who may have considered other professions are sticking around athletic departments hoping to cash in on the money and fame that comes with these jobs.

Paying a coach huge money does not guarantee results.  There are so many other variables that affect success - the idea that Arkansas can buy its way into championships is laughable.

Of course, with the improved talent comes tougher competition.  But suffice it to say, there are precious few jobs available and Arkansas's basketball program is set up to be a position in demand.

There are a number of coaches worthy of a shot at Arkansas, and we don't have to offer ridiculous money to a guy.  Pay him $1.5M, eliminate unreasonable expectations, and let him know that if he is successful Arkansas he has room to grow.  (NOTE:  These pay rules would not apply if Hoiberg or a similar proven hire became available.)

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 08:16:01 am

A Pro head coach might be viewed by most as a HR hire even though it has not gone well for Hoiberg at Chicago.  I liked his teams at Iowa St.   I bet he will be available soon.

I love McDerrott from Creightin. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 11, 2017, 09:12:45 am
Living in the Chattanooga area, I think that both of the Chattanooga coaches would be good gets. McCall and Wade. They are both young with good records and well respected.

Heck, while we are at it. Bring in Jim Foster to coach the women. He is 45-2 in conference in 3+ years and has made 3 straight NCAA's.

Very good options.  Thanks.

PonderinHog

cardsNhogs

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 11, 2017, 09:33:35 am
Chris Beard just picked up another huge win for his 13-3 Red Raiders.
Would def be an upgrade. and yes FCJ I am willing to risk losing those recruiting classes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 11, 2017, 10:11:14 am
What is Howland's buyout?

He is making $2.05 million at Mississippi State.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 11, 2017, 10:18:18 am
Would def be an upgrade. and yes FCJ I am willing to risk losing those recruiting classes.

If we hired Beard, he would be a head coach at 4 schools in the course of a year. (A-State, UNLV, Tech, and Ark)

Hawg Red

Hoiberg would be an unquestioned grand slam hire. We could not do better than that.

Will Wade (formerly of Chattanooga and now at VCU) would also be a tremendous hire. Just 34 years old. This guy graduated high school the same year I did!

Hawg Red

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 11, 2017, 10:18:18 am

Which I don't think is much of a risk. They all want to play together and be Hogs. We'd probably lose Bailey and Hazen, though. That could have happened anyway (at least with Hazen).

I'm the opposite of FCJ. I think the recruiting classes are a big reason why you make a change after the season if he misses the tournament. Mike is not known as a recruiter and he was able to keep all of Pelphrey's great 2011 class together (save for Ross who was not eligible).

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 10:21:14 am
Hoiberg would be an unquestioned grand slam hire. We could not do better than that.

Will Wade (formerly of Chattanooga and now at VCU) would also be a tremendous hire. Just 34 years old. This guy graduated high school the same year I did!

Does the history of VCU coaches concern you at all?

Shaka Smart
Anthony Grant
Jeff Capel

Not a lot of success out of there. Will Wade could be different tho.

hawgtime

I mirror a lot of these sentiments.  I am just lethargic and that is NOT how i roll with my Hawgs!  We need players and a SYSTEM that will allow them to thrive.  (I hope it is an exciting system)

Youngsta71701

Am I missing something? Has Coach Anderson been fired yet?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 10:51:11 am

This list is being constructed because people say you can't find anyone better or that firing Mike will backfire.

I simply started a list that I hoped people would add on to to show that there are some good candidates out there.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 10:51:11 am

When the Hogs incur a bad RPI loss like this in-conference (at home, no less), with practically no good wins to date, and we're in Year 6 (with one NCAAT appearance)......it's time to start putting some names together.

Knot2brite

IF and ONLY IF they make a change...Kevin Keatts UNC-Wilmington, Steve Forbes ETSU, Leon Rice Boise ST.

Hoiberg has a history of medical issues...not sure he is over those and ready for the stress of Arkansas fans
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 10:58:42 am
This list is being constructed because people say you can't find anyone better or that firing Mike will backfire.

I simply started a list that I hoped people would add on to to show that there are some good candidates out there.
Ok, I gotcha...Not a bad list btw if they all would be REAL candidates.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 11, 2017, 11:07:49 am
When the Hogs incur a bad RPI loss like this in-conference (at home, no less), with practically no good wins to date, and we're in Year 6 (with one NCAAT appearance)......it's time to start putting some names together.
Mississippi State is 11-4. Why are we acting like we got beat by a horrible team?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 11:38:51 am
Mississippi State is 11-4. Why are we acting like we got beat by a horrible team?

Weren't their bad losses when Weatherspoon was out?

code red

I just really lost my enthusiasm for hoping things will change.  Deep down we know that CMA and CBB will be back for at least one year.  And neither one  would be back at most major D1 Universities.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Vandyhog4

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 10:45:55 am
Does the history of VCU coaches concern you at all?

Shaka Smart
Anthony Grant
Jeff Capel

Not a lot of success out of there. Will Wade could be different tho.

That history of VCU coaches is quite concerning.  Wade is originally from Nashville, so, naturally, his name was thrown out there as a replacement for Stallings.  Add in the fact that we was an assistant under Amaker at Harvard, and he at least looked relatively good on paper for Vandy.  I would have the same reservations about him now as I did 9 months ago, mainly that he's still young and unproven.  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If I'm looking to the A-10, I call Archie Miller first because he has a bigger body of work.  But, would he be willing to listen?