Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Country Lists Possible Bielema Replacements

Started by moses_007, November 20, 2017, 04:29:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Pecos Hog

Tony Perkis

That site is garbage. Are you still saying Gus?

emdavenp

I'm not so sure this is listed in order of probability, mainly just a straight up list.

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 04:29:37 pm
Says Norvell of Memphis is leading candidate to replace Bielema.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-candidates-bret-bielema

I just don't understand why there's been little talk of Brent Venables.
He was at Oklahoma for what 12 years - so he's got recruiting connections in Oklahoma and Texas.

Just figured he would be in discussion.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

moses_007

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2017, 04:34:39 pm
Definitely Gus.  But, if for some unknown reason Gus falls through, it is Norvell.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 04:38:05 pm
Definitely Gus.  But, if for some unknown reason Gus falls through, it is Norvell.
I'm not sure I'll complain too much either way.

moses_007

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 20, 2017, 04:32:53 pm
Chad Morris as #2??    You've got to be kidding.
That guy is a duplicate of what we have now.  No way they hire him.

007 License To Squeal

This article is utter speculation.......and not very good speculation.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

xxtomassxx1980

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2017, 04:38:40 pm
I'm not sure I'll complain too much either way.
Ditto. But I am leaning more with Norvell.

oldhawg

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 04:35:18 pm
He was at Oklahoma for what 12 years - so he's got recruiting connections in Oklahoma and Texas.

No head coaching experience, but I agree that he would be worth a close look and perhaps even a chance to become Arkansas.s next coach.  Would not disappoint me.

GuvHog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 20, 2017, 04:40:56 pm
This article is utter speculation.......and not very good speculation.

They are probably right about Norvell being the top choice though. I just don't see the BOT agreeing to pay Gus's $7,000,000 buyout and then offering him 5+ Million a year to get him. They're already on the hook for Long's 4 Million dollar Buyout along with Bret's 6 Million dollar buyout so I just don't see it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 04:35:18 pm

He is literally on nobody's list. Maybe kstate because he went there. Should be a red flag.

ThisTeetsTaken

November 20, 2017, 05:16:16 pm #13 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:47:22 pm by ThisTeetsTaken
No offense to Norvell but what has he accomplished?  Could he put together a staff that could compete in the SEC?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ipigsooie

It's funny how the experts differ. On the Finebaum show they said our list and best fits are Norvell, the mentioned Gus, almost jokingly and they mentioned Strong. In this list Strong is a long shot. I tend to agree that he is a long shot. It also seems This writer may know at least a little as he included Skip. I've not seen anything nationally that includes skip. I don't think he is in our top 5 but the mere fact that he is mentioned gave this writer a little credibility. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

ipigsooie

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 04:39:00 pm

This guy is a duplicate of Gus. Just a lot cheaper. I don't want him but his offense is very very similar to Gus. I know he studied under Gus. Morris has good ties to Texas recruiting as he was a high school coach there for years. His career path is very similar to Gus. He may wind up at a&m someday.

Hawg Life

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 04:38:05 pm

It's not going to be Gus, but time will tell.

Hollywood870

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 20, 2017, 05:18:21 pm
Is Norvell ready for the SEC?
I'm starting to feel like we NEED Gus to say yes. Worried about Norvell's defense and experience.

jgcat4

At one point everyone who is now a somebody was a nobody. Norvell is a great coach. Have there been talks with Gus? Yes. Is UA gonna pay what he wants, plus buyouts? No. Sexton will get him a big raise and extension. Norvell will be our coach. Just be prepared. If I'm wrong, I'll eat the crow that is served, but I'm pretty sure I won't be.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 20, 2017, 05:22:23 pm
I'm starting to feel like we NEED Gus to say yes. Worried about Norvell's defense and experience.

Mike will have to bring in a top caliber defensive coordinator.

jvanhorn

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 20, 2017, 05:18:21 pm
Is Norvell ready for the SEC?

Yes he is.  Whether it will at Arkansas or not I don't know.  I would not like to be facing his teams for the next 25 years.

rljjr

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 20, 2017, 05:16:16 pm
No offense to Norvell but what has he accomplished?  Could he put together a staff that could compete in the SEC?

I understand the hesitancy, but why not give him a shot?
A: There are zero guarantees in coaching hires.
B: We've tried -- and failed -- at the "big name" coach hire.
C: He's young, hungry and has a fire about him.

There is literally nothing to lose. We can NOT be worse than the last 6 year stretch. I say give him the keys and get out of his way. The only way he fails is if the GOBN gets in his way.

parallaxpig

What u want to bet we end up with someone not on this list.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

jvanhorn

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 20, 2017, 06:09:49 pm
Yes he is.  Whether it will at Arkansas or not I don't know.  I would not like to be facing his teams for the next 25 years.

I am just glad Fuentes, who went to az state and got his offense from Norvell, didn't stick around and get an SEC job also..  These two plus Riley are the kind of young guns that are going be very good head coaches in the future.  You can either get on board for the future or get left at the station.

rljjr

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 20, 2017, 06:14:31 pm
I am just glad Fuentes, who went to az state and got his offense from Norvell, didn't stick around and get an SEC job also..  These two plus Riley are the kind of young guns that are going be very good head coaches in the future.  You can either get on board for the future or get left at the station.

BING-O.

RebelliousHog

1. Norvell- Yes
2. Morris- Yes
3. Leach-No  Never had a D. May as well switch to the Big 12 if we're going to hire him.
4. Gus- No, but would support him if selected
5. Holtz (Skip)- Meh Barely above 500 win %
6. Campbell- Yes
7. Brown from Troy- Yes
8. Les Miles-No  but always had a strong defense
9. Frost- Yes
10. Strong - Meh. Based on L'ville and USF?Yes. Based on Tejas? A big NO.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2017, 04:34:39 pm

Yeah, at first I thought that site was really good.  Over time you come to realize, they basically write stories of what is printed on message boards or state papers.  It does not appear that they have very many direct sources themselves.

TexasHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 20, 2017, 06:10:30 pm
What u want to bet we end up with someone not on this list.

Venables would be good if it's somebody not on the list.

TexasHog

Quote from: HenduHog on November 20, 2017, 06:20:40 pm
1. Norvell- Yes
2. Morris- Yes
3. Leach-No  Never had a D. May as well switch to the Big 12 if we're going to hire him.
6. Campbell- Yes
7. Brown from Troy- Yes
9. Frost- Yes

You sure about Morris?
He's 13-22 so far at SMU and Memphis just scored 66 points on his defense Saturday.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 04:39:00 pm
Bs he is more just like Gus than Anybody else

RebelliousHog

Quote from: TexasHog on November 20, 2017, 06:30:06 pm
You sure about Morris?
He's 13-22 so far at SMU and Memphis just scored 66 points on his defense Saturday.

Then change him to no
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 20, 2017, 06:09:49 pm

There is always the possibility that he is riding the wave the last coach created.  Has Norvell ever developed his own program and hired a full staff of assistants before? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HF#1

I think they covered just about everybody being mentioned for jobs. That site is such amateur journalism.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NuttinItUp

Think they just threw some darts at a dartboard for this article.

HF#1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 21, 2017, 08:59:01 am
Think they just threw some darts at a dartboard for this article.

That's how they roll. Throw it out there, see what sticks.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogusta National

Quote from: rljjr on November 20, 2017, 06:10:18 pm

There is literally nothing to lose. We can NOT be worse than the last 6 year stretch. I say give him the keys and get out of his way. The only way he fails is if the GOBN gets in his way.

Or... he can't get it done.  GOBN is NOT the only way a coach fails though.  CBB is prime example #1. No GOBN to screw him up.

HF#1

d3maybe

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 20, 2017, 05:12:45 pm
He is literally on nobody's list. Maybe kstate because he went there. Should be a red flag.

I think this is because he is not the new sexy score 65 pts a game prodigy that gets all the hype these days... He is a hard nosed defensive guy that consistently cranks out top 10 defenses. Which is exactly what the Hogs need... Hard nosed... and then hire a prodigy and let him run the offense. Like what Huepl is doing at Misery. That formula works... it just does. In the last 10 years the national champ's defense has ranked outside the top 5 one time... and that was Auburn that could score 100 a game with Newton.

Maybe there is a red flag, but after lots of research I'm convinced this is what is needed on the hill.

d3maybe

Quote from: HenduHog on November 20, 2017, 06:20:40 pm
1. Norvell- Yes
2. Morris- Yes
6. Campbell- Yes
7. Brown from Troy- Yes
9. Frost- Yes

The Pirates defense is top 15 in total defense this year... Maybe the old scalywag figured some things out. I watched the Wazzu vs USC game just because his name keeps coming up and this years defense fly's around pretty good... did give up one big run, but I agree his defense "usually" isn't that good.

I know its not popular because of the Tejas(spit) debacle. but Charlie would be successful here... something under the covers was all messed up in Tejas, something just stunk about that whole thing... He's been super successful everywhere else he's been. Something to think about at least.

Justifiable Hogicide

Potosihog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 20, 2017, 05:09:57 pm
They are probably right about Norvell being the top choice though. I just don't see the BOT agreeing to pay Gus's $7,000,000 buyout and then offering him 5+ Million a year to get him. They're already on the hook for Long's 4 Million dollar Buyout along with Bret's 6 Million dollar buyout so I just don't see it.

Gus would not ow 7,000,000.  He would only owe the contract amount for any assistants who either did not come to AR with him or stay with AU.  If they leave AU but do not come here then he would have to pay their contract off.  I can't see that being $7,000,000.  Gus probably has the lowest buy out (on his side) as any P5 coach on the market.  Norvell's is chump change and it is $500K

OLDHOG

Quote from: rljjr on November 20, 2017, 06:10:18 pm

+1

jackflash

Sivad