Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USGA Rules of Golf

Started by GolfNut57, August 18, 2014, 03:26:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

November 15, 2018, 05:57:52 pm #1 Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:33:58 pm by GolfNut57
nm
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Let them use range finders, the caddies spend too much time walking it off and then trying to add or subtract numbers, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2018, 06:08:32 pm
Let them use range finders, the caddies spend too much time walking it off and then trying to add or subtract numbers, lol.

That works too. I saw one guy on the PGA tour today take what seemed like 5 mins to hit his 3 foot putt. Sucker stopped three times to read it over before finally taking his stroke.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 15, 2018, 06:22:08 pm
That works too. I saw one guy on the PGA tour today take what seemed like 5 mins to hit his 3 foot putt. Sucker stopped three times to read it over before finally taking his stroke.

gross sounds more like a job.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2018, 06:08:32 pm

Is slope included?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 15, 2018, 08:48:42 am
Is slope included?

Sure, I think they should let the amateurs use them.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2018, 10:31:32 am
Sure, I think they should let the amateurs use them.

We already use distance finders but not allowed to use the slope feature.  Just curious if they ok'd that feature.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 15, 2018, 10:42:53 am
We already use distance finders but not allowed to use the slope feature.  Just curious if they ok'd that feature.

I know that, that's why I said I think they should let amateurs use them. I thought your original question was on "slope"?? My son plays high school/ASGA/AJGA, he doesn't have the slope feature in his range finder, but others do, how do you know they aren't using them?

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2018, 10:48:31 am
I know that, that's why I said I think they should let amateurs use them. I thought your original question was on "slope"?? My son plays high school/ASGA/AJGA, he doesn't have the slope feature in his range finder, but others do, how do you know they aren't using them?

Unfortunately you don't. It's a trust issue. Of course most of golf is a trust/honesty issue.

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 15, 2018, 12:45:08 pm
Unfortunately you don't. It's a trust issue. Of course most of golf is a trust/honesty issue.

No doubt, and most don't call it on themselves, or their competitors. At the state tournament this year, one in the group in my son's foursome teed off with a Titleist, put his ball way out in some tall rough, and finished the hole with a Noodle, lol. Parents weren't allowed to help look for balls until ok'd by the monitor, he said he found it and played on. My son wouldn't call it on him, but did report it to our coach, it didn't matter in the end as that team finished out of the money.

majestic

I can't tell you how many times I've found my lady Pinnacle in the rough.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on December 15, 2018, 04:32:11 pm
I can't tell you how many times I've found my lady Pinnacle in the rough.

No doubt, or finished the hole with a yellow range ball...

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2018, 01:51:41 pm
No doubt, and most don't call it on themselves, or their competitors. At the state tournament this year, one in the group in my son's foursome teed off with a Titleist, put his ball way out in some tall rough, and finished the hole with a Noodle, lol. Parents weren't allowed to help look for balls until ok'd by the monitor, he said he found it and played on. My son wouldn't call it on him, but did report it to our coach, it didn't matter in the end as that team finished out of the money.

I played in one of those "one ball events" once. Hated every bit of it. Pain in the ass making sure you have enough balls of the same exact brand and model to play the round when I have nothing more than a mish mash of balls in my bag. Those types of events should be left strictly to pro tournaments and events.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2018, 07:02:15 pm
I played in one of those "one ball events" once. Hated every bit of it. Pain in the ass making sure you have enough balls of the same exact brand and model to play the round when I have nothing more than a mish mash of balls in my bag. Those types of events should be left strictly to pro tournaments and events.

I think the problem was he played another golf ball because he couldn't find his, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2018, 07:20:17 pm
I think the problem was he played another golf ball because he couldn't find his, lol.

And I understand that. In a lost ball situation you better be coming out of the rough with the correct ball "Goldfinger". But once the play of a hole is completed, if you want to switch from a Titleist to a Callaway than have at it. My point was ONLY that one ball events are better left to the Pros.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2018, 07:27:45 pm
And I understand that. In a lost ball situation you better be coming out of the rough with the correct ball "Goldfinger". But once the play of a hole is completed, if you want to switch from a Titleist to a Callaway than have at it. My point was ONLY that one ball events are better left to the Pros.

https://www.thoughtco.com/one-ball-rule-1561348

parallaxpig

Taking some getting used too watching everybody putt with pin in.

GolfNut57

Updated the USGA rule book for 2020........see OP.

porkbellies

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2018, 07:02:15 pmI played in one of those "one ball events" once. Hated every bit of it. Pain in the ass making sure you have enough balls of the same exact brand and model to play the round when I have nothing more than a mish mash of balls in my bag. Those types of events should be left strictly to pro tournaments and events.
don't forget sacrificing unpopular balls when it comes to carrying a hazard or body of water.  keep enough Wilson balls in my bag for such occasions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: porkbellies on July 19, 2021, 10:12:19 amdon't forget sacrificing unpopular balls when it comes to carrying a hazard or body of water.  keep enough Wilson balls in my bag for such occasions.

Well as long as WallyWorld sells Pinnacles and/or Topflights you should be good to go.  :)

porkbellies

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 19, 2021, 10:40:24 amWell as long as WallyWorld sells Pinnacles and/or Topflights you should be good to go.  :)
noooo, found unpopular balls

GolfNut57

Quote from: porkbellies on July 19, 2021, 04:29:10 pmnoooo, found unpopular balls

For me those ARE unpopular balls. In fact when I do my ball hawking around the courses I play I usually leave those where I find them......let some other poor slob have em if he wants.

porkbellies

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 19, 2021, 04:46:34 pmFor me those ARE unpopular balls. In fact when I do my ball hawking around the courses I play I usually leave those where I find them......let some other poor slob have em if he wants.
yes, from time to time I will.  but if I running low on dispensable golf balls, Ill hang on to a few