Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most heartbreaking NCAA loss growing up?

Started by Hums, February 26, 2006, 04:27:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hums

February 26, 2006, 04:27:45 pm Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:28:29 am by ImHogginIt
Growing up I always lived for the Big Dance, and when the Hogs lost I was defistated for days! My top 3 "Heartbreaking" loses are:

1) 1978 vs Kentucky-1st year I old enough to understand the importance (I was 8) and last year they had the 3rd Place game.
2) 1979 vs Indiana St and Larry Bird-they won on a last second shot after US Reed got called for walking even though he got pushed!
3) 1983 vs Louisville-I remember we had a big half time lead only to let it slip away and lose in the last seconds. We had a great team, that was led by Darrel Walker, Alvin Robertson and Joe Klein. I beleive that Louisville ended up losing to Houston either in the Regional Finals or Final 4.

What are some other "Heart wrenching" loses that you guys remember???

hogaddict

The Kansas loss in the Final 8.  I'm not sure which year it was in, I think 91, all I can remember is I was about 14 or 15 and that was the first time I ever cried after a Hog loss.  It hurt so bad. 

Hollywood_HOGan

Most disheartening losses when i was growing up watching the HOGS:

1) UCLA 1995- NO contest here. We win that game and we make history!
2) Memphis in 92- May-O-Day's last game. First NCAAT i was interested in. That team should have done so much more in the NCAAT than it did that year. Hurt so bad because that was May-O-Day's last chance at the championship.
3) Georgetown in 2001- We win that one and we're in the sweet 16. THAT SHOT SHOULD NOT HAVE COUNTED! Freakin Andre Patillo sticks it to the HOGS again.
4)Iowa in 99- our team underachieved in that one. We should have won that one by ten points and we lost by ten.
5) North Carolina in 93- This one didnt really hurt that bad but we hung with the best in the country and just barely lost it. Knew right then we had something special.

The Syracuse game in 95 could have VERY easily been on this list  if it wasnt for a great stroke of luck by the Razorbacks. Probably the wildest NCAA game I've ever seen.

RedSatinHog

1979 versus Indiana State.  It took me literally years to get over it, and I despised Larry Bird for his entire professional career because of it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

HogWild7982

TulsaHogFan

Most heartbreaking lose?  Did you mean loss?  Not trying to be a jerk, just a bit confused.

HogCards88

I remember crying going to bed after the UCLA 1995 game. I was 7.

rok-dog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 26, 2006, 04:46:08 pm
Most heartbreaking lose?  Did you mean loss?  Not trying to be a jerk, just a bit confused.

Jerk!  ;)
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

hogman64

Indiana State....Reed got the worst call of all time then a crap player hit a crap shot to beat us............

Hums

1992 was definitely the most disappointing b/c so much was expected from that team and they underachieved in a big way.

1991 vs KU we had had a big lead at Half and KU handed it to us in the 2nd half.

These were the last 2 years of my college days!

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: hogaddict on February 26, 2006, 04:31:36 pm
The Kansas loss in the Final 8.  I'm not sure which year it was in, I think 91, all I can remember is I was about 14 or 15 and that was the first time I ever cried after a Hog loss.  It hurt so bad. 

I'm right there with you, I was 12 and I too remember crying after that game....that was one hell of a Razorback team.  We should have gone all the way, the peak of the 40 minutes of hell.

Hums

Ya, some no name from Indiana St threw up some crap. The thing about that team was Super Sid basically carried us to victory after victory!

nobballconcept

I think we lost to Memphis in 1991 or 92.  Big O let his man go right around the put the putback in while O stood there and watched.  I was in a hotel room in Austin and destroyed the remote control on the wall.  Hate losing to Memphis but especially that way.

Method Ham

OUR PRIORITIES ARE ALL MIXED UP IN THIS STATE.  WE HOLD OUR ATHLETIC COACHES MORE ACCOUNTABLE THAN OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS.

weevilhogg

Yeah, I have to go with the Memphis loss.  Big O was bigger and fatter and slower than normal.  That game should never have been close.

The Kansas game from the previous year is a close second.  I was 15 that year and my buddy and I just knew it was our year.  We were in total shock when that game was over.
Oh my!

ChrisD

I was at the game in 95 in Seattle and I just knew we would win. That big European guy just shet Corliss down.

The SEC tourney game with Kentcky same year I think

Hogs4Ever

February 26, 2006, 05:39:00 pm #16 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 05:41:27 pm by Hogs4Ever
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on February 26, 2006, 04:38:53 pm
1979 versus Indiana State.  It took me literally years to get over it, and I despised Larry Bird for his entire professional career because of it.

This one hurt more than the final 4 loss to Kentucky in 78.  I still feel we were cheated in that game with some BS calls.  I have always felt the same way about Bird.  I loved seeing Bird crying in his towel when Magic Johnson and Mich. State whipped them in the championship game.

HogInGermany

February 26, 2006, 05:42:57 pm #17 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 05:51:13 pm by HogInGermany
The Memphis game destroyed me. That team talent and potential wise should have been the first Arkansas National Champion in Basketball. I know it's not all his fault, but I hated Big O for a while in my  teens for eating his way out of a Razorback final four two years in a row.

secthumper

....I agree with you wholeheartedly!!....
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

Jim Harris

The 1977 loss to Wake Forest. The 1977 team actually, defensively, was probably better than 1978, and the way college basketball fell that year, we could have beaten Marquette in the Midwest Regional and won the national championship. But we blew a 15-point lead, and some dumbass official with ACC connections called a ridiculous two fouls, including a fifth one (a charge) on Signey Moncrief and the game completely turned Wake Forest's way.
It just made everybody think that the SWC had sucked and our 16-0 didn't mean much in the national scheme of things. Thankfully we showed different the next year.
But Texas, Houston, Texas Tech and Baylor were all either extremely well-coached and/or talented enough to also beat a few national teams in 1977, and Texas A&M started getting good again right after that.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawgin84

Quote from: hogman64 on February 26, 2006, 04:58:16 pm
Indiana State....Reed got the worst call of all time then a crap player hit a crap shot to beat us............

Same here.

geoffhog

Kansas in '91...UCLA in '95. Both games we could have won if we had played worth a crap.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Pignominious

Quote from: HogCards88 on February 26, 2006, 04:48:57 pm

Yea I was the same age, unfortunately I don't remember much about the 93-94 team and so I had some dissapointing memories at the end of all that.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Tusks

79 Indiana State....the guy walked when he shot.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TNhogfan

1. Indiana State loss in '79.
2. Kentucky Final Four defeat of '78.  I still think that we would have given UK a better game in the championship than Duke did, if only we would have been on Duke's side of the bracket.
3. Wake Forrest loss in '77.  I was 15 and was so excited for the Hogs to make the NCAAs - finally.  As a kid, I had gotten to see them play a couple of times at Barton - lost both times.  This was during the Lanny Van Eman era.  So when Sutton came in and started changing things, it was thrilling.

Razor(back) Ramon

When you participate in sporting events it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how drunk you get.  -Homer Simpson

Richard_white

Quote from: nobballconcept on February 26, 2006, 05:20:50 pm
I think we lost to Memphis in 1991 or 92.  Big O let his man go right around the put the putback in while O stood there and watched.  I was in a hotel room in Austin and destroyed the remote control on the wall.  Hate losing to Memphis but especially that way.

That would have been David Vaughn

wrightobe

Not to change the thread, but one of the most exciting games that I remember was with Texas A & M at Barnhill Fieldhouse, I believe it was the first or second year of Eddie Sutton's time, as head coach, and we were starting to show some promise, and the game was a sellout of around 6,000 fans, and was being regionally televised for a regional SWC game, something that we Arkansas fans, were at that time, not used to during basketball season, and the Aggies were the conference leaders, and had won the conference, the previous 2 years, coached by Shelby Metcalf, and the Hogs won in a triple overtime, I believe it was by one point.  The football teamed had formed a cheering group call the "Madhatters", and set in the bleachers behind the Aggie bench, and was so loud and boisterous, that Metcalf had to meet with his players, bringing their chairs with them at mid-court.  That was a truly heart stopping, exciting game, and the Aggies had a guard, who I can not remember his name, went on the be a NBA player.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 26, 2006, 05:39:00 pm

This one hurt more than the final 4 loss to Kentucky in 78.  I still feel we were cheated in that game with some BS calls.  I have always felt the same way about Bird.  I loved seeing Bird crying in his towel when Magic Johnson and Mich. State whipped them in the championship game.

He was TRIPPED........

That ending was heartwrenching.

Bacon out...

Richard_white

UNLV game. I was a freshman at the time and I was there (Barnhill) I almost cried

WPS

94 Hawg

'92 vs Memphis
I thought that team would win the whole thing, that made it the most heartbreaking to me.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 26, 2006, 08:57:03 pm
UNLV game. I was a freshman at the time and I was there (Barnhill) I almost cried

WPS

I did cry.....  Most exciting half of basketball I've ever witnessed.

Bacon out...

RedSatinHog

Quote from: wrightobe on February 26, 2006, 08:42:12 pm
Not to change the thread, but one of the most exciting games that I remember was with Texas A & M at Barnhill Fieldhouse, I believe it was the first or second year of Eddie Sutton's time, as head coach, and we were starting to show some promise, and the game was a sellout of around 6,000 fans, and was being regionally televised for a regional SWC game, something that we Arkansas fans, were at that time, not used to during basketball season, and the Aggies were the conference leaders, and had won the conference, the previous 2 years, coached by Shelby Metcalf, and the Hogs won in a triple overtime, I believe it was by one point.  The football teamed had formed a cheering group call the "Madhatters", and set in the bleachers behind the Aggie bench, and was so loud and boisterous, that Metcalf had to meet with his players, bringing their chairs with them at mid-court.  That was a truly heart stopping, exciting game, and the Aggies had a guard, who I can not remember his name, went on the be a NBA player.

Oh, heck no.  That would have to go to the '79 game with Houston at Hofheinz Pavilion.  Down by 21 points at the half, Sidney did what Sidney ALWAYS seemed to do by throwing the Hogs onto his back and winning the game.

Second place to THAT would be the OT game with LSU at Barnhill.  I cannot remember if it was '92 or '93, but that was one heckuva game.

Third place was another Moncrief classic.  A share of the SWC title on the line versus Texas Tech at Lubbock, Moncrief gets the ball for the last shot just like everyone watching knew he would.  He was faced with a triple-team, but he double-pumped, got all three defenders into the air, then calmly sank the shot at the buzzer.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

HogFather

Quote from: hogaddict on February 26, 2006, 04:31:36 pm

Ditto, this hurt bad....I've heard a lot of people and talking heads say that this was Nolan's best team....EVA!

But then again, any loss in the Elite Eight is heartbreaking, regardless of year, opponent, etc.....only being one game away from the final four.

LA HAWG

1995 UCLA loss.  Cried myself to sleep that night.

Kansas in elite 8.

Duke in the final four in 90.

Bama in the first SEC tourney we were in.

Mark_Freeman

I was devastated for a week, literally. (I was 9). My mom didnt let me watch the end of the NC game vs. Duke the year before (past my bed time) so she let me watch that one, and look what happened!

LA HAWG

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on February 27, 2006, 09:18:51 am

I was devastated for a week, literally. (I was 9). My mom didnt let me watch the end of the NC game vs. Duke the year before (past my bed time) so she let me watch that one, and look what happened!

Dude, your mom is evil.

Mark_Freeman

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 09:20:02 am
Quote from: Mark_Freeman on February 27, 2006, 09:18:51 am

Dude, your mom is evil.

I know, i never let her live that down. She taped it for me and i watch it still. The worst part is that after the Duke game, the next morning she woke me up and told me that she was sorry, but we lost. i started crying uncontrollably and she said she was kidding, i almost killed her!

WILL CLINTON

1995 UCLA game, no contest.  I dont remember where this game took place, but it was Arkansas vs. Bama, in MayDay's heyday.  Day has the ball drives baseline and the bama defender flops for a charging foul.  I don't remember if this game held any importance at all in the scheme of things, but I was so pissed.  I have hated bama basketball ever since. 

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on February 26, 2006, 04:35:31 pm

The Syracuse game in 95 could have VERY easily been on this list  if it wasnt for a great stroke of luck by the Razorbacks. Probably the wildest NCAA game I've ever seen.

That was the game where Lawrence Moten pulled a CWeb, and called a TO they didn't have, right??
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hoggystyle78

Indiana St. in 1979, refs called traveling on U.S. Reed but he was clearly tripped by the ISU defender. Bob Heaton put up a left handed shot at the end of the game and the Hogs missed out on going to the final 4.

HogDodging

1)  The '79 Indiana State loss.  US Reed was tripped, but no foul was called.  Then, Bob Heaton throws in a trash rebound to win the game.  Shortly after the game ended, Sidney was walking off the court, with his head down and some stupid ISU fan ran by and draped a long ribbon over Sidney's shoulder.  I wanted to find the guy and smack him.  Sid just kept walking.

2)  The '77 Wake Forest game.  Talk about being robbed by the officials.  They were determined to not let us win.  And, they succeeded.

arkiehawg

Quote from: HogWild7982 on February 26, 2006, 04:39:59 pm
1995 UCLA game

The 95' Missouri/UCLA game that "allowed" UCLA into the finals.......Missou gave that game away at the end.  If they had beat UCLA?   who knows....? ???

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: arkiehawg on February 27, 2006, 03:44:52 pm
1995 UCLA game

The 95' Missouri/UCLA game that "allowed" UCLA into the finals.......Missou gave that game away at the end.  If they had beat UCLA?   who knows....? ???

On the other hand, had we lost to Syracuse, who knows.....??  And I will forever hate Tyrus Edney, he was the guy that hit that last second shot to put UCLA in the title game.  We would have killed Mizzou. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

LA HAWG

Quote from: dubyacee on February 27, 2006, 04:13:02 pm
Quote from: arkiehawg on February 27, 2006, 03:44:52 pm
1995 UCLA game

On the other hand, had we lost to Syracuse, who knows.....??  And I will forever hate Tyrus Edney, he was the guy that hit that last second shot to put UCLA in the title game.  We would have killed Mizzou. 

UCLA beat Oklahoma State to go to the final.  The Missouri game was earlier in the tourney.

sowmonella

Me too, I was 39.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Big Papa Satan

The 1993 North Carolina game.  I don't think we were cheated, but I still remember being thermonuclear pissed.  I was ten.

Whataboar™

Without a doubt, the '79 Indiana St. game when Bob Heaton (will never forget that name) hit that crappy-looking shot in the paint to beat us.
My pork loin still aches when I think of it.  :(
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Boner

91 & 92.  May-Day and The Big O's junior and senior years.  Losing to KU in the Elite 8 and Memphis in round 2.  So much potential on those teams.

1995 UCLA should've hurt more, but after winning the season before it hurt less.  Also, the fact that we got VERY lucky to even get that far, it hurt less.  We almost became the first 1 seed to lose in the first round.  Thank goodness that guy missed that free throw.

At the time, we also didn't know Corliss and Thurman would be leaving.

Big Papa Satan

Now that I think about it, I'd have to say the 1995 OT loss to Kentucky in the SECT finals.

We had GD game won in regulation.  I still hate Tony Delk.