Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modica in the NBA...your thoughts

Started by Boss Hogg, February 04, 2006, 09:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LordStanleysHog

Let's not forget, Gates played for Heath at Kent State... Modica would be a helluva prospect at Tight End, or even reciever...

hogsanity

Well, the words Modica and NBA have never crossed my mind in any sort of related conversation, thought or hallucination.  If Modica wants to make $ playing BB, I wish him well as he finds a home in Europe. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Tencleve

Not no but hell no! He is a 6'4" (more like 6'0') forward, that can't handle the ball good enough for the NBA. Oh yeah then there is the deal with him playing no damn defense.

bigt54

Quick question
Is Pookie a better SF than Corliss.  Williamson has made a great career willing to do whatever it takes to to play, if Pookie made the same commitment to get to play he might make a roster. 
Pookie is faster, a better shooter, better ball handler, and better defender at the SF than Corliss is.  What is yet to be seen is if he will make the same commitment that Corliss did to make the league.  I love to watch him get in there and out rebound among the trees.  I think he can make it, probably not in the draft but he can make a squad.
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

dukefan

He is 6"4 bull in a china closet, and the NBA plays no defense, and Modica plays less than that!

silvertip

Quote from: Buck Ocean on February 04, 2006, 10:40:59 pm
as soon as Modica can shoot of the dribble, he's an NBA player.

anyone see any of the 37 points tonight? all were catch and shoot.  a couple off the dribble.

Before he can learn to shoot off the dribble, he has to learn to dribble.

Too small to be a forward, can't handle the ball like a guard. Defense not good enough for either in the NBA. I do think he can make good money in a foreighn league somewhere. I also think he can be a team leader the rest of this season. If he keeps his head straight & plays consistent. Wed night at LSU will be a good indicator.

silvertip

Quote from: bulldog04 on February 05, 2006, 07:18:12 pm
Pookie has went a long way for a guy that had no "stars". It hard to believe Rivals didn't put one star beside his name. He is pretty high up on Arkansas's scoring list.  I guess Nolan could recruit a little bit.

Nolan didn't "recruit" Pookie any more than he "recruited" Corliss or Joe Johnson. Or Brewer for that matter. Arkie kids who were going to be Hawgs, regardless of who the coach was.

silvertip

Quote from: bigt54 on February 06, 2006, 11:06:23 am
Quick question
Is Pookie a better SF than Corliss.  Williamson has made a great career willing to do whatever it takes to to play, if Pookie made the same commitment to get to play he might make a roster. 
Pookie is faster, a better shooter, better ball handler, and better defender at the SF than Corliss is.  What is yet to be seen is if he will make the same commitment that Corliss did to make the league.  I love to watch him get in there and out rebound among the trees.  I think he can make it, probably not in the draft but he can make a squad.

You gotta be kiddin'. Pookie as good as Corliss. Right.

akp4105

he plays NO defense whatsoever...NONE, he cant guard his shadow..he's on the floor because his scoring usually takes over for the poor defense...he cant dribble the ball either..he is on the court to shoot..and thats it..he will NEVER be in the NBA

Boner

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on February 04, 2006, 09:59:34 pm
I say he goes undrafted, but becomes a great pickup. King of like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard of the Mavericks.

Actually, I think Brewer's style of play is very similar to these two players.

And Howard was a 1st round pick, be it one of the last 2 or 3.

Hawgballer

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on February 04, 2006, 11:12:14 pm
Quote from: codeHog on February 04, 2006, 10:59:37 pm
better shot of making it in the NFL IMHO

I agree.  As much muscle mass as he carries, I see a NFL team taking a chance on developing him into a tight end.  Ala Gates with San Diego.

If it happens it would make for interesting trivia.
Is he tall enough for that? Gates is 6'5....I thought Modica is only like 6'3...whic is listed but he doesn't look that tall in person.

Hawgballer

Quote from: jrw11475 on February 05, 2006, 10:08:14 pm
Pookie shows signs of greatness but no consistency.  A good college BB player but I can't imagine him in the NBA.  Brewer needs to stay another year, not because I have to have him back but I want him back.  Even though he is a player but still doesn't have the intensity that he will have to have in the NBA.  And I'm sorry that (whoever said they were a big NBA fan) you are a big NBA fan.  The NBA is a joke, I can't freaking watch five minutes of it.

Brewer will stay...unless he trns his game around in a major way there is no chance he is a lottery pick this year.

mbgrulz

no chance he is a lotto pick? we who watch him every game know that he has major faults, but nba scouts come in and see a 6-7 guard who is big, fast, strong, and long, they get googly eyed.  he is projected in every mock draft i see as a top 10 pick. i think he goes and i think he would be dumb to stay. the more exposure he gets, the more they will scrutinize his game. what is he gonna gain here at arkansas? we have not even made the dance in his first 2  and probably 3 years here. why would he think that he could come back and we would win the whole deal. i would go cash in on that huge ass signing bonus.

Hawgballer

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2006, 03:17:22 pm
no chance he is a lotto pick? we who watch him every game know that he has major faults, but NBA scouts come in and see a 6-7 guard who is big, fast, strong, and long, they get googly eyed.  he is projected in every mock draft i see as a top 10 pick. i think he goes and i think he would be dumb to stay. the more exposure he gets, the more they will scrutinize his game. what is he gonna gain here at Arkansas? we have not even made the dance in his first 2  and probably 3 years here. why would he think that he could come back and we would win the whole deal. i would go cash in on that huge ass signing bonus.

I see your point but as we continue you to sink ( and I'm afraid we will) and don't' make the tourney other players will move up the board and Ronnie will move down. He tends to cave when the game is on the line and this fact will come to light. Although I could be wrong, the NBA is worse than any other pro leagues on drafting for what a player MAY BECOME rather than what they are.

HBTHogs

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 05, 2006, 11:11:00 am
anyone who has half a brain knows you don't average double figures over 4 years in the sec and not get a big look. he'll go late but he will go.

Scotty Thurman

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HBTHogs on February 06, 2006, 05:00:04 pm
Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 05, 2006, 11:11:00 am
anyone who has half a brain knows you don't average double figures over 4 years in the sec and not get a big look. he'll go late but he will go.

Scotty Thurman

Thurman only played 3. 

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2006, 03:17:22 pm
no chance he is a lotto pick? we who watch him every game know that he has major faults, but nba scouts come in and see a 6-7 guard who is big, fast, strong, and long, they get googly eyed.  he is projected in every mock draft i see as a top 10 pick. i think he goes and i think he would be dumb to stay. the more exposure he gets, the more they will scrutinize his game. what is he gonna gain here at arkansas? we have not even made the dance in his first 2  and probably 3 years here. why would he think that he could come back and we would win the whole deal. i would go cash in on that huge ass signing bonus.

Brewer is going to end up being the biggest bust in the NBA, he can't shoot consistently, he can play defense, he has no handles, is wayyyyyyyyyy to selfish, has no leadership abilities, and is not at all even associated with the word clutch.  You probably couldn't find 10 teams in the top 25 who would sit their 2 guard for Brewer. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogtheball

February 06, 2006, 05:54:01 pm #66 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 05:56:29 pm by hogtheball
Pat Bradley? (answer for double figures SEC player who didn't get a look in NBA)

And Brewer isn't even being considered as a 2 guard in the NBA - all the scouts have him as a small forward on a team with a good perimeter shooting lineup.  His biggest weakness is listed as his defensive intensity.  Right now, he's expected to go 5 - 10.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

The truth is, in a given year the NBA is looking for about 80 new players. That includes development league, Europe, high school, guys who've been showing up at training camp every year.  At least 15 of the 80 are coming from Europe and other pro leagues, 5 or so from the d-league, and 4 or 5 from high school.  That means maybe 60 NCAA players will make pro teams next year.  Of those, 20-30 will be guards. Since Modica can't play point, he will be vying for one of 12-15 shooting guard spots.  Is Modica one of the best dozen or so shooting guards in the country? Does he have other talents to offer?  If he ever makes it, it will be because he shoots 40% or more in the d-league for 2 or three seasons.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.