Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dee Williams talking Tulsa

Started by Shizzle, July 07, 2007, 01:03:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shizzle

I can't help but think back to the comments he made last year about how he wasn't worried about the competition at Arkansas and how people just needed to shut up and play football. I wonder if he has thought about it and thinks he has a better chance of getting on the field at Tulsa.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

imhogwild2

did he commit to arkansas a few years ago out of Ashdown then didnt have the grades to play? Because i seem to remember that
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

Boarcephus

I don't think competition at the position has anything to do with it but more to do with the type of offense we told him we were going to run and then didn't.  I believe he was interested in us because of the offense Gus was supposedly going to be able to run but then wasn't and is why he's considering following Gus to UT.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

slopinhogs

that's ok we have cruz and cosby so good luck to him at Tulsa. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Gushugger

I think he just realized that he was lied to.......... just like Gus, Mitch, DW, the fans, ........ the list goes on.  He just isn't putting up with it like so many huggers do.

pigmania

That's great for Dee. He realizes that Dale will only throw to Monk, even if he's in quadruple coverage.

jackflash

This maybe a good move for him, we will have receivers coming to the Razorbacks, have at least two more instate, not counting those who are looking at us from outstate, early in recruiting lets see if we throw first

Shizzle

He did committ out of Ashdown and couldn't make the grades. He didn't exactly shine this past season in Jr college. I have a hard time understanding why and kid from Arkansas would go elsewhere to college. I would like to use Brett Smith for example he had a good career at Tenn, I don't think he got drafted, and is in a situation that he doubtfully will make it in the NFL. he will now come back to Arkansas and do what? Had he gone to the UofA he would have a nice easy plush job with Wal mart, JB Hunt, Alltel, Tyson etc. waiting for him because it is a fact that Arkansas kids that play at UofA are taken very good care of after graduation. I am not saying this is how things should be but this is how they are. I just don't understand why these kids don't see this.

Onlythetruth

Quote from: Shizzle on July 07, 2007, 01:52:04 pm
He did committ out of Ashdown and couldn't make the grades. He didn't exactly shine this past season in Jr college. I have a hard time understanding why and kid from Arkansas would go elsewhere to college. I would like to use Brett Smith for example he had a good career at Tenn, I don't think he got drafted, and is in a situation that he doubtfully will make it in the NFL. he will now come back to Arkansas and do what? Had he gone to the UofA he would have a nice easy plush job with Wal mart, JB Hunt, Alltel, Tyson etc. waiting for him because it is a fact that Arkansas kids that play at UofA are taken very good care of after graduation. I am not saying this is how things should be but this is how they are. I just don't understand why these kids don't see this.

Walmart does not hire based on where you played football. I kind of doubt Hunt does either, working for that company is no big deal anyway, sorry if you work there.  Tyson? I don't think John Tyson would hold that against Bret.  He's a Ten alum and they take care of their own as much as we do.

Boarcephus

I have a hard time understanding why and kid from Arkansas would go elsewhere to college. I would like to use Brett Smith for example he had a good career at Tenn, I don't think he got drafted, and is in a situation that he doubtfully will make it in the NFL. he will now come back to Arkansas and do what? Had he gone to the UofA he would have a nice easy plush job with Wal mart, JB Hunt, Alltel, Tyson etc. waiting for him because it is a fact that Arkansas kids that play at UofA are taken very good care of after graduation. I am not saying this is how things should be but this is how they are. I just don't understand why these kids don't see this.

I understand why you'd say that but why would a high profile receiver, like a Brett Smith. want to come here?  You have to think that kids that good coming out of highschool have the NFL dead in their sights and want to go to a place where the offense run suits their talents and they can strut their stuff and shine for the scouts.   Going to work for Tyson or Walmart if the NFL thing doesn't work out is the last thing on their minds.  If I were an all american running back coming out of highschool and felt the NFL was in my future, darn right I'd come here but if I were a receiver, I could find better places to go, and they will.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Shizzle

Quote from: Onlythetruth on July 07, 2007, 02:00:30 pm

Walmart does not hire based on where you played football. I kind of doubt Hunt does either, working for that company is no big deal anyway, sorry if you work there.  Tyson? I don't think John Tyson would hold that against Bret.  He's a Ten alum and they take care of their own as much as we do.

I hope you really don't believe that Arkansas kids that play for the Razorbacks are not at the front of the line for good jobs in Arkansas Corps.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Shizzle on July 07, 2007, 02:22:46 pm

I hope you really don't believe that Arkansas kids that play for the Razorbacks are not at the front of the line for good jobs in Arkansas Corps.

Shizzle speaks the truth on this. 

I remember seeing on the news that Smiley Ken Biley was a Walmart store manager somewhere.  I also know that Dan Doughty, Winston Alderson, and Bruce Lahay all work for Tyson.  That is just the few I can name off the top of my head.  If you're a HOG, you will always have a opportunity in this state.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Boarcephus

Cannon Whitby is another one.  Last I heard he was in Georgia with Tyson.

CDOGHOG

I THINK BOAR HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.  HE COMMITTED HERE BECAUSE OF THE "NEW OFFENSIVE SCHEME".  WHEN THAT WENT AWAY, SO DID HIS UNWAVERING COMMITTMENT. 

IN ANY SITUATION WHERE YOU HAVE COMPETETION FOR SOMETHING(PLAYER, BUSINESS, RELATIONSHIP, ETC...) IF YOU MAKE FALSE PROMISES THE COMPETETION WILL PICK UP ON THAT AND EXPLOIT THAT FACT TO THEIR ADVANTAGE THE NEXT TIME YOU ARE COMPETING WITH THEM. 

I'M NOT SAYING THAT DMW NECESSARILY MADE FALSE PROMISES TO DEE.  I AM SAYING HE MADE FALSE PROMISES TO THE FAN BASE IE:TURN GUS LOOSE. DON'T YOU THINK DEE SAW THIS PRESSER?  DON'T YOU THINK HE FOLLOWED THE TURMIOL THIS SEASON? 

I THINK ATHLETES TODAY ARE MORE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT THE SYSTEMS AND COACHES THEY PLAY UNDER INFLUENCE THEIR NUMBERS AND VISIBILITY AND THEIR ABILITY TO GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL THAN EVER BEFORE.

GOOD LUCK TO DEE WHEREVER HE DECIDES TO PLAY.

razorback121

Quote from: CDOGHOG on July 07, 2007, 03:03:05 pm
I THINK BOAR HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.  HE COMMITTED HERE BECAUSE OF THE "NEW OFFENSIVE SCHEME".  WHEN THAT WENT AWAY, SO DID HIS UNWAVERING COMMITTMENT. 

IN ANY SITUATION WHERE YOU HAVE COMPETETION FOR SOMETHING(PLAYER, BUSINESS, RELATIONSHIP, ETC...) IF YOU MAKE FALSE PROMISES THE COMPETETION WILL PICK UP ON THAT AND EXPLOIT THAT FACT TO THEIR ADVANTAGE THE NEXT TIME YOU ARE COMPETING WITH THEM. 

I'M NOT SAYING THAT DMW NECESSARILY MADE FALSE PROMISES TO DEE.  I AM SAYING HE MADE FALSE PROMISES TO THE FAN BASE IE:TURN GUS LOOSE. DON'T YOU THINK DEE SAW THIS PRESSER?  DON'T YOU THINK HE FOLLOWED THE TURMIOL THIS SEASON? 

I THINK ATHLETES TODAY ARE MORE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT THE SYSTEMS AND COACHES THEY PLAY UNDER INFLUENCE THEIR NUMBERS AND VISIBILITY AND THEIR ABILITY TO GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL THAN EVER BEFORE.

If you read the article in the ADG today it says that he has not yet qualified academically to play at Arkansas, but has qualified to play at Tulsa.  He could not qualify academically out of high school for Arkansas and that is why he went to JC.

This has less to do with being "lied to" or "scared to compete" than the effort it would take academically to get into Arkansas versus Tulsa.

grayhawg

TDHog

Quote from: razorback121 on July 07, 2007, 03:11:27 pm

If you read the article in the ADG today it says that he has not yet qualified academically to play at Arkansas, but has qualified to play at Tulsa.  He could not qualify academically out of high school for Arkansas and that is why he went to JC.

This has less to do with being "lied to" or "scared to compete" than the effort it would take academically to get into Arkansas versus Tulsa.

That is a pretty big spin, I'm not sure Rick S. could do better.  The paper says "he is still working towards eligibility requirements for Arkansas but has met standards for Tulsa" plus "Arkansas coaches are still recruiting Williams".  I take this more as he has 1 more math class or something to complete this summer that Arkansas requires that Tulsa does not.  I don't think our coaches would still be recruiting him if he was not going to be eligible.

ballhog™

If you wanted a lot of catches I can see why a receiver would want to go to Tulsa.

If you wanted to play on the biggest stage in college football and play in front of 90,000 -100,000, play on ESPN or CBS, and have a good shot at playing in a New Year's day bowl, than Arkansas might be the better choice.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

razorback121

Quote from: TDHog on July 07, 2007, 03:21:20 pm

That is a pretty big spin, I'm not sure Rick S. could do better.  The paper says "he is still working towards eligibility requirements for Arkansas but has met standards for Tulsa" plus "Arkansas coaches are still recruiting Williams".  I take this more as he has 1 more math class or something to complete this summer that Arkansas requires that Tulsa does not.  I don't think our coaches would still be recruiting him if he was not going to be eligible.

Not sure where the spin is:
"Still working towards eligibility requirements for Arkansas" = has not yet qualified academically to play at Arkansas
"has met standards for Tulsa" = has qualified to play at Tulsa
He has not ruled the Hogs out and the coaching staff still wants him to come.  I'm saying that if he ends up not coming, it may be the result of something other than "the great conspiracy" of our passing game.

Yoko Oinko

I've worked for JB Hunt for many years and I can think of 2 former football players and 1 former basketball who are current employees.  One of the FB players played more than 20 years ago and earned his way up to a VP job. Hunt is not a farm system for former Hogs.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Hog in MO

Quote from: TDHog on July 07, 2007, 03:21:20 pm

How is it spin to say the kid is covering his bases?  Obviously he's no Einstein or he would'nt have had to go the JC route in the first place.  Maybe he's worried he won't pass these last few classes and would rather go to Tulsa than spend another year in JC.  Its no more spin than saying he was lied to by Nutt.

dfresh

Athletes do have the opportunity to get better jobs than the typical college grad.  U of A even has a Career development program dedicated to athletes.  And its not just the BIG BOYS that hire them.

silvertip

Quote from: Shizzle on July 07, 2007, 01:03:08 pm
I can't help but think back to the comments he made last year about how he wasn't worried about the competition at Arkansas and how people just needed to shut up and play football. I wonder if he has thought about it and thinks he has a better chance of getting on the field at Tulsa.

No, exactly what he thinks and has recently said is that he originally signed with Arkansas because of Gus Malzahn. He went to JC, watched the Hogs last year, and saw quite clearly that Nutt has no intention of having a decent passing game.

SO, he's not going to be a Hog. Be it at Tulsa or somewhere else. The kid has dreams of playing in the NFL, and he has ZERO chance of doing that playing for HDN, aka DMW.

silvertip

Quote from: dfresh on July 07, 2007, 05:08:05 pm
Athletes do have the opportunity to get better jobs than the typical college grad.  U of A even has a Career development program dedicated to athletes.  And its not just the BIG BOYS that hire them.

Every big time football program has that. Most of them don't destroy a player's career like the UA did with Mason Templeton. A player who had NFL dreams/potential and lost his senior season because Broyles' department couldn't keep up with the paperwork.

And then, when players' parents try to meet with King Frank about concerns over tutoring & curfews, King Frank resents it, tries to stop it, and is so damn mad he has to rant about it in front of the Greater Dallas Razorback Club. Says "it's not too tricky" that three sets of lowly parents have the NERVE to approach King Frank, when he's trying to arrange his pre-bowl game golf schedule.

Hawgballz

July 07, 2007, 10:26:42 pm #24 Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:30:37 pm by Hawgballz

He committed to Arkansas in February 2007, wouldn't he have already known the things that you are talking about.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hawgballz

Quote from: silvertip on July 07, 2007, 09:29:59 pm

No, exactly what he thinks and has recently said is that he originally signed with Arkansas because of Gus Malzahn. He went to JC, watched the Hogs last year, and saw quite clearly that Nutt has no intention of having a decent passing game.

SO, he's not going to be a Hog. Be it at Tulsa or somewhere else. The kid has dreams of playing in the NFL, and he has ZERO chance of doing that playing for HDN, aka DMW.

silvertip, why did he commit to Arkansas in February of this year if what you say is true since he knew the things you are talking about before then?  Maybe we should take a poll.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: opineonswine on July 07, 2007, 04:28:01 pm

He's a receiver.  He wants to catch the ball, not block.  No self-respecting stud receiver or QB will come to play Nuttyball. 

Then why is Cruz Williams committed to Arkansas when he has an offer from Michigan.  If you can play the NFL will find you.  The NFL actually looks for kids in balanced offenses because NFL recievers are called on to block and get off the line against stronger and faster corners.  Texas Tech does not have a lot of recievers who are in the league right now, and they have several recievers put up huge numbers in college, which did not translate on the next level.  How many recievers has Tulsa sent too the NFL again.  Probably about the same amount as Nutt. 

COCHISE

July 07, 2007, 11:41:13 pm #27 Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:21:52 am by 870 RZR

He's a receiver.  He wants to catch the ball, not block.  No self-respecting stud receiver or QB will come to play Nuttyball. 
After this season Marcus Monk will own U of A receiving records playing "Nuttyball".  You guys have been saying for months now that no top notch recruit would come play for Nutt, yet it is July and we have the #5 dual threat qb, the #10 dual threat qb, a 4* O-Lineman, the #2 all purpose back in the country and Cruz Williams who chose Arkansas over some major D1 schools.  I don't understand your claim that no "self-respecting" receiver or QB will come to Arkansas when it is being proven otherwise :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

saywhat?

Quote from: 870 RZR on July 07, 2007, 11:41:13 pm

After this season Marcus Monk will own U of A receiving records playing "Nuttyball".  You guys have been saying for months now that no top notch recruit would come play for Nutt, yet it is July and we have the #5 dual threat qb, the #10 dual threat qb, a 4* O-Lineman, the #2 all purpose back in the country and Cruz Williams who chose Arkansas over some major D1 schools.  I don't understand your claim that no "self-respecting" receiver or QB will come to Arkansas when it is being proven otherwise :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

That's the hate talking man.  I'm going to laugh at some of these posters when Dee signs with Arkansas in February, that is if he can make it acedemically.  If he can't then it really doesn't matter and it will open up a schollie for a player like Stockemeyer. 

silvertip

July 08, 2007, 09:29:49 am #29 Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:14:14 am by silvertip

Monk will own the records because he was the featured receiver for 4 years, while Nutt passes less than 100 other D-1 teams the whole time.

Rember when George Wilson and Richard Smith set Hog freshmen receiving records 2 straight years? And neither record is that impressive.

Go check the SEC receiving records, which since I suspect you won't, I might just bring a link here in a minute. I doubt you will see any Hogs among the top 20 all time SEC receivers.

http://secsports.com/index.php?&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=192

In fact, in career receiving yards, Anthony Lucas ('95-'99) ranks 7th alltime SEC with 2879 yards. Anthony Eubanks ( '94-'97) ranks 16th. Both Ford recruits, and Eubanks never played for Nutt.

Lucas ranks FIRST in career yards/catch at 21.0 and 13th with TD career TD catches at 23.

Lucas also ranks 12th in yards/game in a season with 100/game in '98.

The only Nutt recruit that I find ranked is George Wilson---7th in yds/catch with 18.0 in 2003 (among receivers with 50 or more catches in a season.

NOW, if someone will bring us Monk's career records which I don't know where to find off-hand. Seems to me I have calculated in the past that Monk might be on pace to get the career TD record for a receiver if he has another year like last year.

As far receptions in a season, it takes 71 to make the SEC record book top 20. One guy had over 90 and several over 80. In 14 games last year, Monk had 50. Which with an average of 3.57 catches/game did not crack the D-1 top 100 receivers. On average, every D-1 team had a receiver who got more catches/game than did Monk. Sounds to me like a talent that is under-utilized.     

Lanlord

Change of heart?

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/195098/
Arkansas has nine oral commitments, though one, Butler County (Kan. ) Community College wide receiver Dee Williams, 6-3, 210, 4. 4, is in question. Williams orally committed to Tulsa on Friday morning after making a commitment to Arkansas in January, but backed off the Tulsa pledge on Friday evening. Williams was placed at Butler County by Arkansas.

freddiethehog

So Dale is throwing the passes now and not CD.  Dale is that a new QB recruit.  I hope your not bashing a new recruit.
Quote from: pigmania on July 07, 2007, 01:51:06 pm
That's great for Dee. He realizes that Dale will only throw to Monk, even if he's in quadruple coverage.

COCHISE

Quote from: silvertip on July 08, 2007, 09:29:49 am

Monk will own the records because he was the featured receiver for 4 years, while Nutt passes less than 100 other D-1 teams the whole time.

Rember when George Wilson and Richard Smith set Hog freshmen receiving records 2 straight years? And neither record is that impressive.

Go check the SEC receiving records, which since I suspect you won't, I might just bring a link here in a minute. I doubt you will see any Hogs among the top 20 all time SEC receivers.

http://secsports.com/index.php?&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=192

In fact, in career receiving yards, Anthony Lucas ('95-'99) ranks 7th alltime SEC with 2879 yards. Anthony Eubanks ( '94-'97) ranks 16th. Both Ford recruits, and Eubanks never played for Nutt.

Lucas ranks FIRST in career yards/catch at 21.0 and 13th with TD career TD catches at 23.

Lucas also ranks 12th in yards/game in a season with 100/game in '98.

The only Nutt recruit that I find ranked is George Wilson---7th in yds/catch with 18.0 in 2003 (among receivers with 50 or more catches in a season.

NOW, if someone will bring us Monk's career records which I don't know where to find off-hand. Seems to me I have calculated in the past that Monk might be on pace to get the career TD record for a receiver if he has another year like last year.

As far receptions in a season, it takes 71 to make the SEC record book top 20. One guy had over 90 and several over 80. In 14 games last year, Monk had 50. Which with an average of 3.57 catches/game did not crack the D-1 top 100 receivers. On average, every D-1 team had a receiver who got more catches/game than did Monk. Sounds to me like a talent that is under-utilized.     
"On average, every D-1 team had a receiver who got more catches/game than did Monk.  Sounds to me like a talent this is under-utilized."   I agree, however that tends to happen when you have TWO 1,000 yard rushers in the backfield.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: freddiethehog on July 08, 2007, 09:44:01 am
So Dale is throwing the passes now and not CD.  Dale is that a new QB recruit.  I hope your not bashing a new recruit.
Quote from: freddiethehog on July 08, 2007, 09:44:01 am

I have never seen HDN throw a pass to monk.  Did he get his elgibility back or something?  HDN also is responsible for the war in Iraq.

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

jujuharshawismydog

July 08, 2007, 09:29:21 pm #35 Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:31:35 pm by jujuharshawismydog
Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 07, 2007, 10:45:54 pm

Then why is Cruz Williams committed to Arkansas when he has an offer from Michigan.  If you can play the NFL will find you.  The NFL actually looks for kids in balanced offenses because NFL recievers are called on to block and get off the line against stronger and faster corners.  Texas Tech does not have a lot of recievers who are in the league right now, and they have several recievers put up huge numbers in college, which did not translate on the next level.  How many recievers has Tulsa sent too the NFL again.  Probably about the same amount as Nutt. 

I am not jumping on either side, but Tulsa did put a pretty d*mn good receiver in the NFL by the name of Steve Largent.
Suspended for the 1990 Cotton Bowl...The downfall of the program?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: jujuharshawismydog on July 08, 2007, 09:29:21 pm
Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 07, 2007, 10:45:54 pm

I am not jumping on either side, but Tulsa did put a pretty d*mn good receiver in the NFL by the name of Steve Largent.

That happened in the last century.  Largent has been out of football and turned himself into a dreaded politician.

Hawgzilla

I heard a few weeks back that Dee was heading to Tulsa.A supervisor where I work knows I'm a big Hog fan,He comes buy and tells me Ike Forte had talked to Dee,and Dee told Ike he had changed his mind and was headed to Tulsa.Ike works at the same plant that I do,but on a different shift.I don't know anything more about the conversation between Ike and Dee,just what I heard from my Supervisor.

ListenHereMister

Hey opine,
what do you call Cruz Williams and Jim Youngblood?
Chop Liver?