Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our 08 clas in b-ball is going to be mediocre..

Started by batmanfan, July 03, 2007, 08:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

Looks like the Hogs will sign alot of 3 and low 4 star guys, nobody in the top 50 or even 60 probally.

Heath sucked but at least the 08 class of his was going tobe a top ten in the country.  Pel's recruiting is looking very questionable so far.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

501Ben

Quote from: batmanfan on July 03, 2007, 08:03:37 pm
Looks like the Hogs will sign alot of 3 and low 4 star guys, nobody in the top 50 or even 60 probally.

Heath sucked but at least the 08 class of his was going tobe a top ten in the country.  Pel's recruiting is looking very questionable so far.

It's his first year being a head coach at a major college. He has to prove himself before he can go after those caliber of recruits. At least Heath took a team to the Elite 8 and had something he could tell them he had accomplished. After this year the recruiting will pick up once we have a great year.  8)

Tomhog™

Heath was in a better position to have a successful '08 class.  Yet, without a doubt, they would be another class of underacheivers.  Heath didn't know how to bring out the best of his players.  I believe Pel will.  It hasn't been shown.  But if Pel can prove that he can develop a player's talents, the talent WILL come to him and Arkansas.

FBfan

National signing day is when? Oh yeah it's November.  What month is it now? Oh yeah it's July.

Much like the name/commitment of Joyner came out of nowhere, you can also similar commitments between now and November. 

mbgrulz

you can't judge pel on the 07 or 08 class. 09 and '10 are where we will decide on his recruiting. why would a player committ to a coach w/o seeing one single game from him?

yes, we have to start signing 5 star guys every once in a while to expect any FF runs, but we also have to let our coach have a fair shot at doing so.

we act like heath was going to get all these guys whom he was after. heath was a perennial runner up in recruiting the big boys.

coach, my back hurts

How many "studs" did Heath bring in?  The only possible 4-5* guys i can think of would be Hill, Washington, Weems.  Maybe Townes.

I also understand the difference between getting 3* recruits and barely making the tourny, and getting 4-5* recruits and seeing repetitive Sweet16, Elite8 runs.  Which we havent had in a while.

The way it appears to me is that if you recruit primarily 3* guys, when those players become Sr's they will be very good.(like the possibility of this yr)  On the other hand, if you recruit several 4-5* guys you will see more of an immediate success, but those guys will go pro.....most likely. 

So a team like Memphis, loaded in talent and Cal is a great recruiter, they face the challenge of having to break in 2-3, sometimes 4 players, about every yr.  Thats when teams like us can beat those teams.  However, i would rather be good every yr than every 4yrs. 

I think Pel will get it done.  I dont think he will ever blow us away with his recruits, but i think he will put a quality product on the court yr after yr.  I honeslty dont care if see Sweet16's every yr.  Yeah it would be nice, but i want to see the kids play hard and with passion.  Something we havent seen in 5yrs.  I am sick and damn tired of hearing our players use the, "they wanted more than us", line.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: FBfan on July 03, 2007, 08:25:51 pm

National signing day is when? Oh yeah it's November.  What month is it now? Oh yeah it's July.

Much like the name/commitment of Joyner came out of nowhere, you can also similar commitments between now and November. 

Let Arkansas get 5 more commitments out of nowhere and watch the team suck in 08.  Arkansas only chance to be competitive in 08 is if Beverly and Wahington are still there.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 03, 2007, 10:52:05 pm

Let Arkansas get 5 more commitments out of nowhere and watch the team suck in 08.  Arkansas only chance to be competitive in 08 is if Beverly and Wahington are still there.
washington has proven nothing so far, and  most nba teams aren't in the market for 6-1 SG's. a lot will have to happen before those boys can go pro.                                                       

Realist

lol washington has shown nothing? 
Washington is as athletically gifted as they come at 6'10-11.  He can shoot a 3 and will get more consistent over time with that, his drive to the lane which we saw more and more of towards the end is unstoppable if he goes with confidence.  He is a good rebounder and had tons of put back layups or dunks.  If he improves with his back to the basket this year it is a serious possibility.    He is by far the most talented player on our team, but yes he does have to translate that into performance just as all players do

Realist

By the way mbgrulz, Can you remind me who the McDonalds All-American was on the 2003 National Championship Team?  Just a little hazy

VenturaHog

Quote from: Realist on July 04, 2007, 12:18:00 am
Washington is as athletically gifted as they come at 6'10-11.  He can shoot a 3 and will get more consistent over time with that, his drive to the lane which we saw more and more of towards the end is unstoppable if he goes with confidence.  He is a good rebounder and had tons of put back layups or dunks.  If he improves with his back to the basket this year it is a serious possibility.    He is by far the most talented player on our team, but yes he does have to translate that into performance just as all players do

I'm very impressed with washingtons potential but beverley showed us a lot more this season, that kid can create his own shots, rebound, steal, just flat out hussle.

FBfan

Why wouldn't they be there? And don't try to say the are going to go to the NBA 08.  Beverly is more than likely a 4 year player and Washington needs at least 2 more years IMO.

The "out of nowhere" comment meant there was not much in the press about us recruiting Joyner and then he committed.  He is a baller.  To many of you guys are fixated on Clarke, Warren, etc, there is more to the 08 class and I can guarantee you that Pel is on it.

Bomis Hawg

The guys coming in as frosh will be good.
I think a lot of the 08 class hinges on some of the big players.
The dominos will fall and Arkansas should get a couple of higher ranked guys.
The team and Coach Pelphrey need to keep on getting their name out.  People will see.

Razorod

What I am looking for is a solid class. Does not have to be spectacular, just solid. As of right now, I believe Pelphrey can do that.

Two factors to consider:
1. Where has our program been the last decade? We are eleven years removed from our last Sweet Sixteen.
2. Where is Pelphrey in his career--a virtual unknown. He will have to show something on the court before the big boys come our way.

Let's wait and see what happens before we either pronounce him the next John Wooden or proclaim him the worst coach ever.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Dwight Stewart, Scotty Thurman, and Corey Beck were not very highly ranked players coming out of HS and JC.

As long as Pel can get good, solid players that fits his system and gets the most out of his guys like Nolan did then bring it on.

Just win and do NOT underacheive like the last regime did.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: FBfan on July 04, 2007, 01:08:29 am

Why wouldn't they be there? And don't try to say the are going to go to the NBA 08.  Beverly is more than likely a 4 year player and Washington needs at least 2 more years IMO.

The "out of nowhere" comment meant there was not much in the press about us recruiting Joyner and then he committed.  He is a baller.  To many of you guys are fixated on Clarke, Warren, etc, there is more to the 08 class and I can guarantee you that Pel is on it.

If Washington can even sniff the second round he will jump for the NBA, and I am not fixated on getting top recruits, just one to revolve the class around will be needed for Arkansas to be good in 08.  There is no reason why in basketball Arkansas can not sign at least one player in the top 100.  Could you tell me more about Joyner's game, such as speed quickness and his ability to shoot the trey and run a team. 

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 04, 2007, 08:55:23 am
Dwight Stewart, Scotty Thurman, and Corey Beck were not very highly ranked players coming out of HS and JC.

As long as Pel can get good, solid players that fits his system and gets the most out of his guys like Nolan did then bring it on.

But Corliss was a highly rated player

aloha_kid

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on July 03, 2007, 09:39:26 pm
How many "studs" did Heath bring in?  The only possible 4-5* guys i can think of would be Hill, Washington, Weems.  Maybe Townes.

I also understand the difference between getting 3* recruits and barely making the tourny, and getting 4-5* recruits and seeing repetitive Sweet16, Elite8 runs.  Which we havent had in a while.

The way it appears to me is that if you recruit primarily 3* guys, when those players become Sr's they will be very good.(like the possibility of this yr)  On the other hand, if you recruit several 4-5* guys you will see more of an immediate success, but those guys will go pro.....most likely. 

So a team like Memphis, loaded in talent and Cal is a great recruiter, they face the challenge of having to break in 2-3, sometimes 4 players, about every yr.  Thats when teams like us can beat those teams.  However, i would rather be good every yr than every 4yrs. 

I think Pel will get it done.  I dont think he will ever blow us away with his recruits, but i think he will put a quality product on the court yr after yr.  I honeslty dont care if see Sweet16's every yr.  Yeah it would be nice, but i want to see the kids play hard and with passion.  Something we havent seen in 5yrs.  I am sick and damn tired of hearing our players use the, "they wanted more than us", line.

Jefferson, Hill, Olu, Thomas, McGowan,Beverly, Washington , Weems and Brewer.  Now Jefferson never came, but you gotta give to Stan he definately could recruit.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Realist on July 04, 2007, 12:23:33 am
By the way mbgrulz, Can you remind me who the McDonalds All-American was on the 2003 National Championship Team?  Just a little hazy
well let me refresh your "Hazy" memory. His name was Carmelo Anthony.

bless your heart. i know you were trying to be cute, but get your facts straight when you are trying to call someone out.

what you were trying to ask is "who was the McD's AA on the 2002 NC team?" the answer to that is "there was not one on the 2002 NC team." Maryland did not have  a McD's AA. that was the only time since '79 that there has not been one.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Realist on July 04, 2007, 12:18:00 am
"lol",
your whole argument had nothing to do with what i was talking about. you argued about what he "can" do and how talented he is. I don't think anybody on here would disagree that he is our most promising (along with bev) player. I was just saying that he played a half dozen good games at the end of last season, and that he will need to play a while longer before he gets his name out there enough. whether or not he pull an olu, i dont know, but if he wants to get into the 1st round he has to prove more.

LJHOG

LJHOG

mbgrulz

Quote from: HogZ28 on July 04, 2007, 12:02:27 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 04, 2007, 08:55:23 am

yeah you are right, players that fit his system....you can get the best center in the country but if you're a running team and his game isnt geared toward running then he will do you no good....

wait til the season starts and some of these kids come for visits.  that way they can feel the exctitment for the team and if we do good then he'll have something to build on....

the bad thing is that most of the 2008 class will committ b4 the season starts. there may be some quality late signees like bev and patrick patterson this season, but for the most part, they sign too early to see us.

Bomis Hawg

I think it's key, at this time in his tenure, to get players that he can sell the program with.  Some might say that would be very highly recruited players, but it seems to me when you are trying to reconnect with the fanbase and get the program back on track you have to find another way.

I think he needs to get the playersthat he can sell the style of play to and that aren't going to jump in a year or two.  Once Coach Pelphrey gets some wins in his resume, things will fall in place.

HawgG

Quote from: Tomcat on July 03, 2007, 08:19:56 pm
Heath was in a better position to have a successful '08 class.  Yet, without a doubt, they would be another class of underacheivers.  Heath didn't know how to bring out the best of his players.  I believe Pel will.  It hasn't been shown.  But if Pel can prove that he can develop a player's talents, the talent WILL come to him and Arkansas.

TomCat you are to much of a Veteran poster to make a ridiculous statement like that.

Arkansas was in position sign prospects that we haven't seen since Nolan had the fire in his belly.

Heath signed some nice players here but not difference makers.Olu would have been the only one but there is no way to gauge a guy's mental strength.

Big Al was NBA bound and you already know how I felt about that signing.We could have gotten Charles Rhodes instead.

No team with Liggins and/or Warren on it will underachieve.Make sure to follow their careers and see for yourself.

Realist

Jefferson was telling everyone he was coming up until right before the draft when people said he would be a lottery pick. 

HawgG

Quote from: Realist on July 04, 2007, 01:17:59 pm
Jefferson was telling everyone he was coming up until right before the draft when people said he would be a lottery pick. 

You are right.

However coaches get paid to make tough decisions and while Jefferson was a WOW recruit, he was also 90% NBA bound the whole time he was being recruited by Arkansas.

Charles Rhodes visited Arkansas a couple of times and was a huge lean to sign with us until Heath and Taliaferro started showing more love to Big Al.

Everybody knew that Rhodes was the best player in Mississippi's 2004 class besides Jefferson.He was going to play in the NBA but not before college.

Now Arkansas still wanted to sign Rhodes badly.

It was rumored that when Heath and Taliaferro went to the home of the Rhodes to perhaps secure him as a Razorbacks they saw a brand new set of living room furniture in the home.

One of the coaches said, "Well we won't get Charles Rhodes now."

Obviously we know where Charles signed.

BTW not many people on this board know that Big Al was not the best player Arkansas had a chance at getting in 2004.It was Dwight Howard.

Coach Taliaferro was great at recruiting and he had developed a great relationship with Howard.Dwight spoke very highly of Oronde and if I could find the article I would post the words he said.

However everybody knew Howard was going to be the No.1 pick in the NBA so Arkansas stop recruiting him to focus more on AL.

Just think if there was the age limit rule back then, Arkansas could have had at center-Dwight Howard and at pf-Al Jefferson.

mbgrulz

for a player to mention a school in an obscure article ONCE is not what I call "on" a guy. to be in a players top 3 is when you can say that you had a chance to get him.  since heath left, a lot of people have just assumed that we woulda landed everybody who mentioned us because of the great recruiting god that SH was. the truth is that most players begin to see that heath is not a winner. he puts a lousy product on the floor and they end up choosing the coach and father figure over the buddy.

how many times did we get our hopes up for guys that we ended up coming in second or 3rd to other schools?

Realist

Have we figured out who the McDonalds all american was on the 2003 Maryland Terrapins?

501Ben

July 04, 2007, 08:19:34 pm #30 Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:02:40 am by 501Ben
Quote from: Realist on July 04, 2007, 08:01:16 pm
Have we figured out who the McDonalds all american was on the 2003 Maryland Terrapins?

Was Jamar Smith, Juan Dixion, or Baxter?

mbgrulz

well, considering that the 2003 terps didn't win the NC, i don't know why you are so horned up on who their AA was.

check out my post above. read more post less.

are you seriously trying to argue that you don't need a McD's AA to win? Let me guess, you just need "guys that fit the system" eh?

HawgG

Quote from: FBfan on July 04, 2007, 05:01:58 pm
Arkansas was never a candidate for Dwight Howard.  You're reaching.

As I said I had the quotes from Dwight Howard himself as to how he liked Arkansas and especially Oronde Taliaferro.

I use to collect every single recruiting article from the newspaper or the internet that came out.

Unfortunately I get rid of the articles of prospects that Arkansas did not get so the Howard piece is long gone.

That is a very good thing for you, because if I still had the quotes from Howard you would be apologizes in your next reply.

HawgG

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 04, 2007, 05:34:04 pm
for a player to mention a school in an obscure article ONCE is not what I call "on" a guy. to be in a players top 3 is when you can say that you had a chance to get him.  since heath left, a lot of people have just assumed that we woulda landed everybody who mentioned us because of the great recruiting god that SH was. the truth is that most players begin to see that heath is not a winner. he puts a lousy product on the floor and they end up choosing the coach and father figure over the buddy.

how many times did we get our hopes up for guys that we ended up coming in second or 3rd to other schools?

Are you talking about recruiting failures by both Coach Heath and Coach Pelphrey?

FBfan

Quote from: HawgG on July 05, 2007, 05:57:35 am
Quote from: FBfan on July 04, 2007, 05:01:58 pm
Arkansas was never a candidate for Dwight Howard.  You're reaching.

As I said I had the quotes from Dwight Howard himself as to how he liked Arkansas and especially Oronde Taliaferro.

I use to collect every single recruiting article from the newspaper or the internet that came out.

Unfortunately I get rid of the articles of prospects that Arkansas did not get so the Howard piece is long gone.

That is a very good thing for you, because if I still had the quotes from Howard you would be apologizes in your next reply.

I have followed recruiting longer and just as closely as you have.  Just because a recruit says nice things about a school/coach, it doesn't necessarily mean there is any legitimate interest.  You should know that.

Corkscrew Dangler

It's okay.  Despite the national media's response to the contrary, it was great timing for Heath's dismissal.

Using Heath's senior laden squad, Pelphrey will able to put together a very good season.  We can then manipulate that success into nationwide media coverage and hype about the revival of our program, the return of 40 minutes of h*ll, Pelphrey as the next Donovan, etc etc.  This will all pay huge dividends in 2009. 

I just wish some of those scholarships available in 2008 could be carried over to the next year when they will have a much bigger impact.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Tomcat on July 05, 2007, 09:48:21 am
Quote from: Corkscrew Dangler on July 05, 2007, 09:39:34 am
I just wish some of those scholarships available in 2008 could be carried over to the next year when they will have a much bigger impact.

I imagine Pel will save 1 or 2 schollies for '09.

Precisely.  If you don't fill your boat with all of the schollies available to you in a given year, they're still there they next recruiting season.

Of course, then you have to manage to a shorter bench for the one season.  But that may well be the smarter way to go in the long run, in this situation.

HawgG

Quote from: FBfan link=topic=142292.msg2229937#msg2229937
I have followed recruiting longer and just as closely as you have.  Just because a recruit says nice things about a school/coach, it doesn't necessarily mean there is any legitimate interest.  You should know that.
Well I concede to you on the grounds of you knowing your recruiting and me not having the ammo(Howard's quotes) to sustain what I started.

The winner of this showdown is FBfan :o

tbhogfan

Some things to remember:
1)  Pelphrey is making some great inroads into Arkansas recruiting.  This will pay MONSTER results in 2009.
2)  As stated earlier, JP is a largely unproven commodity, but look for his stock to soar in recruits eyes as they see his style of ball and Arkansas makes a nice run in the tourney.   The better players want to force the ball up court, not stand around and pass for 33 seconds.
3)  Look for him to even out this class a bit with some Juco players.   I'll be shocked if there are not at least two in this class.
4)  This style of ball depends much more on quality depth than individual superstars.  The superstars are nice, but depth is imperative.
Go Hogs!

Realist

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 04, 2007, 11:14:11 pm
well, considering that the 2003 terps didn't win the NC, i don't know why you are so horned up on who their AA was.

check out my post above. read more post less.

are you seriously trying to argue that you don't need a McD's AA to win? Let me guess, you just need "guys that fit the system" eh?
Excuse me 2002.  But All I am pointing out is that your quote is misinformed. 
And I believe I did say Washington has to show it on the court.  Hence my comment of "He is by far the most talented player on our team, but yes he does have to translate that into performance just as all players do"

bd93

Quote from: tbhogfan on July 05, 2007, 01:44:55 pm
Some things to remember:
1)  Pelphrey is making some great inroads into Arkansas recruiting.  This will pay MONSTER results in 2009.
2)  As stated earlier, JP is a largely unproven commodity, but look for his stock to soar in recruits eyes as they see his style of ball and Arkansas makes a nice run in the tourney.   The better players want to force the ball up court, not stand around and pass for 33 seconds.
3)  Look for him to even out this class a bit with some Juco players.   I'll be shocked if there are not at least two in this class.
4)  This style of ball depends much more on quality depth than individual superstars.  The superstars are nice, but depth is imperative.

Good post +1

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgG on July 05, 2007, 05:59:36 am
Quote from: mbgrulz on July 04, 2007, 05:34:04 pm

Are you talking about recruiting failures by both Coach Heath and Coach Pelphrey?
just in general. i was not trying to take a shot at you hawg g, i was just saying that for us to get a mention by a recruit in one article here or there does not mean that we had a legit shot at getting him. when they ask for a guys top 3 or 5 and we are not in it, that means we have no chance (other than buying him a range rover).

Pork Twain

Boy, Heath really did a lot with all that talent...  Give Pel a chance to porve himself and then the players will start coming.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Qbackinman

1. Ark, the state, is going to have a really good H.S. class coming out in '09, prime for picking up by Pel.

2. You won't believe this but here's someone else who wasn't highly recruited out of high school. Sidney Moncrief!! You can look it up.

SoTexHog

I think I will wait until I see the '08 class and how they play before I pass judgement.  Unfortunately I don't have the foresight many others possess.