Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rotnei Clarke says he is considering five schools

Started by arklahoman36, July 03, 2007, 09:27:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arklahoman36

In an interview with James Hale of OUInsider published today, Clarke told Hale that he is considering five teams right now.

"I am still considering a good number of good schools. I am still considering Kentucky, OU, New Mexico, Tulsa and Arizona State. They are my five teams right now."

hogfan98

with the exception of uk and maybe ou, that's not the type of list i expected him to have.

arklahoman36

Well, I had read much earlier that he liked Tulsa, but thought maybe he was just giving them a mention since he's so close. I also remember reading awhile back that he really liked Arizona State, although I don't remember what it was he said he liked about the place -- so the only one that really surprised me was New Mexico.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Realist

Great Job Pel  ::)

08 had alot of promise starting out but seems Pelphrey still wants to go after same people he was after at South Alabama, which is not going to work. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: Realist on July 03, 2007, 12:13:36 pm

08 had alot of promise starting out but seems Pelphrey still wants to go after same people he was after at South Alabama, which is not going to work. 
The '08 class definately isn't off to a stellar start.

Tomhog™

Quote from: Realist on July 03, 2007, 12:13:36 pm

Where did you get this information from?  He's still going after Rotnei and Warren.  He's after pretty much the same players that Heath was on.

501Ben

Pelphrey got a commitment from the #22 PG in nation, and he will probably get one from a four star PF Clarence Trent. I think he is doing fine for recruits never even seeing one of his teams play and probably never even knowing who he was before he started recruiting them.

Realist

Yancy Gates
Deandre Liggins (We were leading for him at one point)
Terrance Henry
Clarence Trent
Willie Warren
Rotnei Clarke
Dashan Harris
Dequan Jones
Steve Tchiengang

We may still have a shot at one or two of these but at one time we were serious contenders for all of these.  Slowly they have mentioned us less and less (Rotnei and Willie).  All of us, including Stewie and Tomcat were saying this could be one of our best classes of all time mentioning all of these players.  Now how many of these players will we get?

Tomhog™

You've got to remember, Pel is still unkown at this point as a coach.  The program isn't, but Arkansas isn't what it used to be.  I don't think 2008 is going to be a magical class.  We are relying strictly on out-of-state recruits and no one has even seen one minute of Pel's style that he will employ.  Let's give it some time.  I'm counting on 2009 to be a great class if his coaching matches the rest of his work ethic.  We snag a couple of late comers like a P Beverley in 2008 if Arkansas has a good NCAAT showing. 

Tomhog™

Quote from: 501Ben on July 03, 2007, 12:30:27 pm
Pelphrey got a commitment from the #22 PG in nation, and he will probably get one from a four star PF Clarence Trent. I think he is doing fine for recruits never even seeing one of his teams play and probably never even knowing who he was before he started recruiting them.

exactly

Realist

Quote from: Tomcat on July 03, 2007, 02:23:03 pm
You've got to remember, Pel is still unkown at this point as a coach.  The program isn't, but Arkansas isn't what it used to be.  I don't think 2008 is going to be a magical class.  We are relying strictly on out-of-state recruits and no one has even seen one minute of Pel's style that he will employ.  Let's give it some time.  I'm counting on 2009 to be a great class if his coaching matches the rest of his work ethic.  We snag a couple of late comers like a P Beverley in 2008 if Arkansas has a good NCAAT showing. 
Just stating, this wasn't the talk of everyone when we first hird Pel and were speaking of 08 recruiting. 

NMHOGG

Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 03, 2007, 10:04:41 am
Well, I had read much earlier that he liked Tulsa, but thought maybe he was just giving them a mention since he's so close. I also remember reading awhile back that he really liked Arizona State, although I don't remember what it was he said he liked about the place -- so the only one that really surprised me was New Mexico.

Me too.  NM has a good facility (the pit) and a new coach with a decent rep.  Still he will get more and better exposure as a hog.  I don't know  what is important to him.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Realist on July 03, 2007, 03:27:42 pm
Just stating, this wasn't the talk of everyone when we first hird Pel and were speaking of 08 recruiting. 

That's because the sunshine pumping has worn down a bit.

The_Bionic_Pig

Be sure to watch and see who attends (early) Midnight Madness  before crying wolf.... (Not talking about Rotnei Clarke)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Tomhog™

When we first hired Pel, most people knocked the hire since he was an unknown.  Then when we started to get to know him, and his success of the '07 class, we started getting much more optimistic.  I am still optimistic that we will land good recruits in '08.  But I've always expected the '09 to exceed the '08 as far as big names...

BleedsBlue

Quote from: Tomcat on July 03, 2007, 10:12:35 am
Tulsa, New Mexico, ASU?  What's up with that list?  Arkansas would be a better place to highlight his skills than any of those.  Better than OU, too...

TC, I am surprised also that Duke (who has expressed interests of late) and especially Kansas are not on the list.  I think that was just a "right now at this moment 5 schools".  I know at one time Gonzaga was on the list.  So who knows.  I however, believe he will commit early as in August regardless of the school.

HawgG

Quote from: ajs15razorman on July 03, 2007, 03:59:34 pm

That's because the sunshine pumping has worn down a bit.

By the first week of August we will know wheather or not Coach Pel has failed with the all important 2008 class.

Once all the AAU events are over we usually see who is favoring who and who made the cut.

I'm not saying that anybody is wrong for ripping or supporting Coach Pel's recruiting efforts, because there is grounds for both arguments.

However if in another month the recruiting has not improved then let the gloves come off, or congratulate the staff if they prove to have done their jobs well during these past 3 months.

Wu Tang Clan

Getting the #22 pG is not overly impressive at a school with a basketball program like Arkansas.    Pelphrey will struggle to recruit good players until 09 meaning that Arkansas might struggle again in the 08 and 09 seasons. 

Tomhog™

Quote from: BleedsBlue on July 03, 2007, 06:51:07 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on July 03, 2007, 10:12:35 am
Tulsa, New Mexico, ASU?  What's up with that list?  Arkansas would be a better place to highlight his skills than any of those.  Better than OU, too...

TC, I am surprised also that Duke (who has expressed interests of late) and especially Kansas are not on the list.  I think that was just a "right now at this moment 5 schools".  I know at one time Gonzaga was on the list.  So who knows.  I however, believe he will commit early as in August regardless of the school.

Right now, I'd be surprised if it ISN'T Kentucky.  You guys are on your way back to prominence.  I believe Arkansas is going to be a year behind in program restoration.

slopinhogs

i figure we will struggle in 08 because we will lose Hill ,Irving,patric beverly and townes ,thomas and vincent hunter that will leave us sanches and washington plus the two guard Caoch P has broughton board we need a center in the 0809 class for sure.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

blueshog2001

Quote from: slopinhogs on July 03, 2007, 10:23:19 pm
i figure we will struggle in 08 because we will lose Hill ,Irving,patric beverly and townes ,thomas and vincent hunter that will leave us sanches and washington plus the two guard Caoch P has broughton board we need a center in the 0809 class for sure.
Do you think Beverly will try and go pro?  I could see that with Washington but not PBev?

Realist

Did you seriously just mention us losing Vincent Hunter as hurting us?

BleedsBlue

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 03, 2007, 07:44:53 pm

Getting the #22 pG is not overly impressive at a school with a basketball program like Arkansas.    Pelphrey will struggle to recruit good players until 09 meaning that Arkansas might struggle again in the 08 and 09 seasons. 
I would have to politely disagree.  Any kid in the top 50 is a keeper.  Not trashing UA's program, but similiar to UK's both schools are  not where they were in the mid to late 90's.  These kids were 9 years old when we were on top and only see what we have been like in the past couple of years.  History really means nothing to these kids.  Look at Florida.  Winning 2 NT and they get great classes coming in.  Wait until they drop again and see what happens to recruiting there.  Relax and give Pel some space, he will make it happen for you.  Good times are ahead.  If nothing else for this year, I am guessing your SEC road record will be much better. ;)

arklahoman36

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 03, 2007, 07:44:53 pm

I disagree. The Arkansas program is not held in the esteem it once was, and the coaching search can attest to that in part.

Too many fans rely on a NC won 14 years ago, the fact ARK plays in the SEC and the exceptional facilities to declare ARK a top program. It takes more than that, it's a what have you done for me lately and brand name driven world (who's the coach).

For a coach with no national exposure, I don't think the #22 PG is a bad start.

Would everyone love for him to come in and get OSU to let James Anderson out of his LOI so he could transfer to ARK; pick up the top 5 prospects in the nation; and win 30 games with a trip to the F4 next year -- sure, but there is reality to contend with.

ARK is at a point it can re-emerge as a pre-eminent basketball program, but it's not there yet.

LJHOG

I agree with the facilities part for sure.  If facilities were determinate of program status, nobody would know who Duke was.

Beaverfever

Quote from: slopinhogs on July 03, 2007, 10:23:19 pm
I honestly don't see Beverley ever getting drafted.  He'll have to bust his ass to ever make an nba team.  JMO

VenturaHog

Wait at least a season before starting conspiracy theories, its only july, geez.