Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now tell me STARS aren't overrated..

Started by Cresthog, June 26, 2007, 11:21:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

Take a look at this guy and his offers....then look at how many stars he is rated

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=58630

Realist

believe the 4.7 is the reason for that.  Odd though I'll admit

501Ben

He was never evaluated by Rivals, I guess, that is the only explanation I can think of for zero stars.

Cresthog

Quote from: Realist on June 26, 2007, 11:22:10 am
believe the 4.7 is the reason for that.  Odd though I'll admit

I'll admit he is slow, but for he must have some extremely raw talent to get offers from Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

yraciv

Quote from: 501Ben on June 26, 2007, 11:23:42 am
He was never evaluated by Rivals, I guess, that is the only explanation I can think of for zero stars.

You are right! He has never been evaluated, and therefore has no stars.

tbhogfan

Usually, having an offer from a BCS school will get you a 2*, so I am guessing that Darrell has not been evaluated.

In an era where linebackers routinely run in the 4.5 range (every LB Arkansas signed in 2007 is 4.5 or better), 4.7 is an absolutely pedestrian time for a smallish (below 200 lbs) safety. 

Obviously Darrell has enough talent to warrant the attention he is getting.   I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he was hurt when he was timed.
Go Hogs!

arkjay19

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2007, 11:42:54 am
Quote from: 501Ben on June 26, 2007, 11:23:42 am
You are right! He has never been evaluated, and therefore has no stars.

gotta give em time, we're still early in the 2008 recruiting process.

killamon

June 26, 2007, 11:48:13 am #7 Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:51:20 am by killamon
he got arrested for robbery a  month ago......therefore, he received a no rating.........http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/copbriefs/entries/2007.06.01.170386.html

jpenrod1

No you cant trust these things. yes you can trust that 5* will usually be good players but there is no way you can know if a 2* or 0* is going to be any good. these websites can not evaluate every player in the country. people say that when someone like LSU offers that they give them more stars, but that is not true, it is just the first time they hear about the kid so then they evaluate them. so yes they get more stars when they get offers from those people but not because they dont deserve them. look at our 2* star players this year they are much better than that.

notreseveredname

To early in the season for rivals to make a call. However, Scout has him the 34 best safety and a three star

killamon

if he didnt get arrested he would have definitely been a Top 100 prospect

Hawgballz

June 26, 2007, 12:00:38 pm #11 Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:03:12 pm by HawgBall06
Obviously he has not been evaluated yet by Rivals, but check out his updated stats per Scout:  Weight 201 lbs up from 185 and Speed 4.5 in the 40 instead of 4.7, but Scout shows his short shuttle as 4.5 (same as his 40) which is not real good for a safety while Rivals shows a 4.37 which is better but with his offers I would bet his real short shuttle time is still even lower and his vertical leap was 24" (Rivals) versus 29" (Scout).

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2948614
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

LJHOG

Scout has him at a 3*.  On field looks like he could be something.  Off field may keep him off the field.  Hope he gets a chance somewhere and makes the most of it.

killamon

Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 26, 2007, 12:00:38 pm
Obviously he has not been evaluated yet by Rivals, but check out his updated stats per Scout:  Weight 201 lbs up from 185 and Speed 4.5 in the 40 instead of 4.7, but Scout shows his short shuttle as 4.5 (same as his 40) which is not real good for a safety while Rivals shows a 4.37 which is better but with his offers I would bet his real short shuttle time is still even lower and his vertical leap was 24" (Rivals) versus 29" (Scout).

he has been evaluated by Rivals....however, he got arrested for robbery a  month ago......therefore, he received a no rating.........http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/copbriefs/entries/2007.06.01.170386.html

Hawgballz

Quote from: killamon on June 26, 2007, 12:08:21 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 26, 2007, 12:00:38 pm

he has been evaluated by Rivals....however, he got arrested for robbery a  month ago......therefore, he received a no rating.........http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/copbriefs/entries/2007.06.01.170386.html

Yes, I saw your post after I had already posted.

leavenworth1

It's important to remember that those are the schools HE SAYS he has offers from.  Any recruit can pump himself up and say he has this and that offers, when maybe he just is receiving interest from them. 

killamon

Quote from: leavenworth1 on June 26, 2007, 12:59:42 pm
It's important to remember that those are the schools HE SAYS he has offers from.  Any recruit can pump himself up and say he has this and that offers, when maybe he just is receiving interest from them. 

trust me, the kid is a baller and he had/has those offers before the arrest...

Hawgballz

Check the bottom of the Scout link, he has been offered by all those schools.

leavenworth1

Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 26, 2007, 04:17:22 pm

There is no way to confirm this since the actual schools can't comment on recruits.  It's strictly heresay, or from the recruits mouth.  And that may or may not be accurate.  I'm sure it's generally accurate though

jhudson84

Quote from: leavenworth1 on June 26, 2007, 04:49:17 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 26, 2007, 04:17:22 pm

There is no way to confirm this since the actual schools can't comment on recruits.  It's strictly heresay, or from the recruits mouth.  And that may or may not be accurate.  I'm sure it's generally accurate though

The schools can say they are recruiting a player but no more.

PhillyHog

I'll bet the offer from Miami came

AFTER he got arrested.

SoTexHog

Quote from: PhillyHog on June 28, 2007, 03:29:22 pm
I'll bet the offer from Miami came

AFTER he got arrested.
Or because of    ;)

Buck Ocean

stars aren't overrated.  look at the consistincy in recruiting ranking and how they finish the season year on end. 
Think like a Jedi

saywhat?

Quote from: killamon on June 26, 2007, 11:54:43 am
if he didnt get arrested he would have definitely been a Top 100 prospect

His SPARQ rating alone would keep him out of the top 250.  Granted he has a lot of offers but on paper he's not very athletic.  4.7 forty won't cut it at a major school.  Just ask Kevin Thorton and he was rated a 4*.

slopinhogs

he will probably play well for some team. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

silvertip

Quote from: Cresthog on June 26, 2007, 11:21:06 am
Take a look at this guy and his offers....then look at how many stars he is rated

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=58630

You don't make a generalization by looking at one recruit, if you have any brains at all.

Stars aren't overrated. All you have to do is look at the big picture, year after year.

The "stars are overrated" arguement is just another example of Nutthugger spin---in order to justify his 8th-in-the-SEC recruiting class every year. Just like Frank Broyles' "poor us we can't expect to be any better than 7th in the SEC" BS is another excuse for a weak coach who can't be any better than 7th in the SEC.

HedgeDweller

I think you are right....

I don't have the 'ultimate ticket' subscription to see if those are really offers, or just the schools HE listed that he is interested in.

Has anyone in this thread looked at the actual 'offers' column, not just the 'interest' column?

silvertip

Quote from: HedgeDweller on July 07, 2007, 10:35:55 pm

I think you are right....

I don't have the 'ultimate ticket' subscription to see if those are really offers, or just the schools HE listed that he is interested in.

Has anyone in this thread looked at the actual 'offers' column, not just the 'interest' column?

Yeah, I'm a subscriber & maybe not 'sposed to say, but they are all offers. Note that all the top 6 SEC have offered except FLA, and so far FLA has only offered 2 4-star prospects.