Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jenks DT Tony Gillespie excited about Arkansas offer

Started by The Recruiting Guy, May 10, 2007, 07:52:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

May 10, 2007, 07:52:23 pm Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:55:54 pm by Richard Davenport
Tony is a 6'0 300 pound DT with 4.9 speed from Jenks HS, Jenks Oklahoma. Tony has offers from Oklahoma St., Kansas St., Kansas, Tulsa. I talked to Tony about 20 minutes ago and here's what he had to say.

TRG: What were thoughts on Arkansas' offer?

Tony: I was very excited. It came out of no where. I knew they were interested in me.

TRG: Who's recruiting you for the Razorbacks?

Tony: Coach Allen. Coach Allen faxed the offer to Coach Trimble and he texted me at noon about the offer and said the official offer would be mailed and I should get get it in a day or two. Coach Allen has been texting me everyday this week.

TRG: What other schools are showing you interest?

Tony: Florida, Florida St., LSU, Michigan St., UCLA, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Notre Dane4, North Carolina, Purdue. There's a lot of them.

TRG: What Sr. camps do you plan to attend?

Tony: Chris (Adkins) and I will go to Arkansas and Tennessee's Sr camps. I'm probably going to a Florida school camp and I may go to Colorado's camp.

TRG: What do you like about Arkansas?

Tony: The main thing is they play freshmen. It's the best man for the job. Mike Harris and Felix Jones and Tim (Dial) have told me it's great atmosphere and the coaches are down to earth.

TRG: What does Tim Dial tell you?

Tony: He said they were great coaches. He tells me in the hallway I need to check out Arkansas.

TRG: When do you plan to make your official visits?

Tony: I know I want to make one during the season. I'll probably make the other 4 after the season.

TRG: Do you know when you might make a decision?

Tony: I don't know. I would say if I don't make a decision mid-season I probably decide after the season.

Arkansas is definitely making head way in Tulsa. It's always good to have a player or two from a particular area doing well at your school. Word of mouth is a good thing.

Tony sports a 410 bench, 520 squat and a 27 inch vertical. He recorded 83 tackles, eight sacks, forced two fumbles and scored a touchdown last season.

Tony was a yes sir and no sir type. It was fun talking to Tony.

501Ben

He sounds like a good player, and his bench press is awesome.

bd93

Hawgballz

Quote from: 501Ben on May 10, 2007, 08:02:13 pm

Bench press is very nice, but I am impressed by the 27 inch vertical the most.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

bd93

Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 10, 2007, 09:49:01 pm
Quote from: 501Ben on May 10, 2007, 08:02:13 pm

Bench press is very nice, but I am impressed by the 27 inch vertical the most.

Yeah, that's what impressed me.

hawgsav1

well, squat and clean and press is more of a determination of overall strength.  They're the most important.  But yeah I know Jenks is a great HS football program and they churn out winners and great players.  Hopefully he can provide us some depth and maybe we can put him in as our new Keith Jackson
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jhudson84

forttownpimp

I'm just glad we got in there early before some of those other big schools made an offer.  Nice work Coaches. 

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

stratpkr

I got to see this kid a few times last year. He is a great high school lineman. He would constantly disrupt and be in the play it seemed. Hope we can get him.

Hollywood_HOGan45

really like the way we're hitting the tulsa area especially Jenks High School.

that place is a factory.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 11, 2007, 08:52:22 am
Did he not just de-committ from Ok. St.?

Yes, he moves good for a big man.  He is extremely athletic, but unfortunately he will have grade issues. 

Memphis Hog

I am glad to hear that he is being told good things about Arkansas!

sage_dragoon

Scout lists him as a 4star prospect. Looks like recruiting is seeing the effect from last years success.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Hogstocking

May 11, 2007, 01:53:45 pm #15 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:45:34 pm by Hogstocking
Quote from: sage_dragoon on May 11, 2007, 01:47:47 pm
Scout lists him as a 4star prospect. Looks like recruiting is seeing the effect from last years success.

Yep.  He's on the rivals 250 watch list too

Could be a pretty salty DL class if we manage to land Damion Square, Gillispie and Askew.  fingers crossed.

351hog

I dont know how many of you have access to scout.com, but if you do you need to watch this guys highlight film.  Amazing....my words wont do justice. 

1)  Sheds double and triple teams in the video...
2)  Runs down a running back from behind in the open field....
3)  Punishes ball carriers...
4)  Has an attitude, he gets up after every tackle fired up....

Richard, see what you can do about getting some film on this guy so Hogville can see what I'm talking about. 

Mikepoke1

HUGE ATTITUDE PROBLEM!!! Huge

Yes, he was a commit for OSU at one time but chose to pursue other options.

Ftsmithmike

"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

Space Man

Quote from: Hogstocking on May 11, 2007, 01:53:45 pm

Yep.  He's on the rivals 250 watch list too, which means he'll be a 4 star on rivals as well.

Could be a pretty salty DL class if we manage to land Damion Square, Gillispie and Askew.  fingers crossed.

I would not sleep on Zach Stadhter from NLR. I think he is the best defensive linemen in the state despite the lack of offers.  I have seen him play and he stays around the ball all night.  He does not quit on plays and he is all over the place.   

Hogstocking

May 11, 2007, 06:59:57 pm #20 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:46:16 pm by Hogstocking
Quote from: Space Man on May 11, 2007, 05:59:24 pm
Quote from: Hogstocking on May 11, 2007, 01:53:45 pm

Yep.  He's on the rivals 250 watch list too, which means he'll be a 4 star on rivals as well.

I would not sleep on Zach Stadhter from NLR. I think he is the best defensive linemen in the state despite the lack of offers.  I have seen him play and he stays around the ball all night.  He does not quit on plays and he is all over the place.  

Youre right, I just forgot about him.  

Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma are all very interested in him

Shocktheman

Nice stats.  Strength like that is terrific!  Come on over Tony, become a HOG!

+ 1 TRG

Hogstocking

Gillispie named a top 5 today...Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma State and Tennessee.

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

southern hawg

I don't understand why top D-Lineman aren't lining up to sign with Arkansas to play in Reggie's system, especially when they look at the guys he has sent to the NFL.

thahawg

Quote from: southern hawg on May 24, 2007, 11:55:53 pm
I don't understand why top D-Lineman aren't lining up to sign with Arkansas to play in Reggie's system, especially when they look at the guys he has sent to the NFL.

Maybe because Reggie doesn't recruit.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rooka

i don't know guys, you know what happened the last time we thought a gillespie would come, naw just kiddin, I hope this guy comes, would be a big help to the D-Line.

kimjongsqUeAl

Tony, you know you want to be a Hog!  Come on down, we would love to have you!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

blueshog2001

Richard,
Do you think having Dial will help in Tony's recruitment?  This would be a great pick up for the Hogs.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: blueshog2001 on May 31, 2007, 03:15:07 pm
Richard,
Do you think having Dial will help in Tony's recruitment?  This would be a great pick up for the Hogs.

It can't hurt. Tony said he planned to attend Arkansas' Sr camp. It will be huge to get Tony on the Arkansas campus and let him see for himself what Arkansas has to offer.

Hogstocking

Gillispie now has a top 3 of Arkansas, Okie State and KState.

piggingout

Man I would love to have him in the middle of the D-Line.  I bet he would start playing right away, especially with that strength! 

Landonhog

July 06, 2007, 04:19:15 pm #33 Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:26:15 pm by Landonhog
Quote from: Hogstocking on July 06, 2007, 03:47:03 pm
Gillispie now has a top 3 of Arkansas, Okie State and KState.

Great news! 

SEC!  Any day over the Little XII! 

Come play with the best!

cubsfan5150

I hope that this guy commits because I think that he'll be a GREAT pick-up.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

slopinhogs

come on down and listen to all of us yell "woo pigg sooie razorbacks" .it make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

SoTexHog

Quote from: Mikepoke1 on May 11, 2007, 03:45:12 pm

I guess I'll need some supporting documentation.  Can you enlighten us on just what his attitude problem might be and how you came to possess such information?  Otherwise, I'd just as soon you kept this kind of stuff unto yourself.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: SoTexHog on July 06, 2007, 11:20:34 pm
Quote from: Mikepoke1 on May 11, 2007, 03:45:12 pm

I guess I'll need some supporting documentation.  Can you enlighten us on just what his attitude problem might be and how you came to possess such information?  Otherwise, I'd just as soon you kept this kind of stuff unto yourself.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

I have no inside information but fans from Oklahoma State claimed he would not qualify anyway after he decommitted. 

Realist

oh so its not just Arkansas coaches and fans who "cool" on a player.  shocking to some on this board I'm sure

Realist

I've just been going through a lot personally, and just knowing that OSU is going to be there regardless is reassuring. They gave me a scholarship, so I know it's there," Gillespie tried to explain. "I've got big name schools coming after me, but for right now I need to get through high school and focus on what is important right now.

"College is going to be there, but for now I'm putting everything out the window and focusing on getting in shape and being ready for my team as a senior."

Sounds like a guy with a real attitude problem right?  ::)

ntubjr

SoTexHog

Quote from: Realist on July 07, 2007, 01:48:21 am
I've just been going through a lot personally, and just knowing that OSU is going to be there regardless is reassuring. They gave me a scholarship, so I know it's there," Gillespie tried to explain. "I've got big name schools coming after me, but for right now I need to get through high school and focus on what is important right now.

"College is going to be there, but for now I'm putting everything out the window and focusing on getting in shape and being ready for my team as a senior."

Sounds like a guy with a real attitude problem right?  ::)
Yep, that does sound terrible.   ;)    Guess Reggie will just have to figure a way to deal with it.  I'm thinkin' 300 lbs, 4.9 forty and a 27" vertical will help his attitude alot.   :)
Oh and a +1 to the Realist!

labmanok

July 07, 2007, 04:33:06 am #42 Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 05:26:19 am by labmanok
Tony is incredibly quick into the backfield. Sometimes a little out of control. Michael Harris rushed for 267 against them, guard John Williams blocked Gillespie all night.  Some of his numbers I would verify with his Coach /Trimble.  His stregth & vertical seem a little too good. He was not recruited by OK for his lack of ability. OK Coaches were very high on his ability.  He has quit his HS team several times to rejoin team after some nudging.  This is common knowledge & has been discussed for a year in the news & by other Jenks players.  He has great quickness and a world of talent .

Union, BTW, Jenks all have a number of d-1 players coming through in the next few years.  BTW's John Williams has KU in front.  He is qualified and a good student.  He will be a good d-1 offensive guard. Ark needs to concentrate on him too. A soon to be Jr. at Tulsa McLain , Shawn Jackson will be an outstanding player.